Chapter 13: One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
130 8 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

“So, Osial took quite the blunder from this new arrival.” A deep and gravelly voice echoes throughout a shadowy palace. 

 

The sound crawls its way down the corridor.

 

Sudden drowsiness bestows upon those who hear it, but that is the least of the Yakshas' worries. They have long adapted to this radiating sense of nausea. After all, their master did physically implant various restraints inside of their body. 

 

Oneiros, the Dream Archon, finds his underling’s report quite interesting. 

 

“A half Adeptus and the Cloud Archon, together faced off against Osial and Beisht. Morax came to cast the Ocean Archons away. The rest then grouped and entered Liyue Harbor.” The skeletal figure clicks his bony index on the armrest of his throne. His other hand, clenched into a fist, is supporting his resting cheek. “And yes, I do recognize those believers you've spoken of. Those poor wandering souls who are under Havria’s care.”

 

A Yaksha kneels low before Oneiros’ throne, head on the floor, not moving an inch. There are shackles crafted from Geo rods firmly anchored into the Yaksha's back. One could easily mistake this stationary wind spirit as being firmly nailed to the earth.

 

“But I also recall that their fear was brought up long after I sent you out to scout.” a red light emerges from the abyssal eye socket of the skull. The moment Oneiros' glance falls onto the Yaksha, the Yaksha’s quivering becomes visible. 

 

The Geo rods begin glowing, and with a screwing motion, they drive deeper into the Yaksha's bones. 

 

His razor-sharp teeth are clenched near the point of shattering, yet he dares not to raise his head. A few short breaths later, the Anemo Yaksha answers: “I’m terribly sorry my lord. The ‘Great Disturbance’, as you call it, came from a being of incomprehensible presence.”

 

A cold sweat drops from the side of his cheek. For the first time, the Yaksha feels that he has encountered something more nightmarish than his master. 

 

That day, he travelled as fast as the wind and arrived at Mt Tianheng not long after the great-water-slime incident. However, the Yaksha could not see much. 

 

The moment when he heard, in the wind, Morax commanding all of his Adepti to retreat, the Yaksha knew something was unusual. 

 

Soon after, the overwhelming presence near Mt. Tianheng stopped his trail; somehow the Yaksha knew that if he had approached any closer, it would’ve meant the end of him. 

 

Thus, the Yaksha could not get a look at anything. 

 

All he could do was to listen. 

 

What did he hear? 

 

He heard of an omnipresent voice, demanding the Terra Archon be handed to it. 

 

He heard Morax's unshakable will to protect his nation, and the citizens that reside within, even against said incomprehensible being. 

 

He heard the sacrifice of the Dryads.

 

He heard the fall of the Cloud Archon. 

 

He was on Mt. Tianheng when it collapsed all of a sudden. Luckily his elemental ability of the wind allowed him to traverse even amongst the rolling boulders. 

 

The Yaksha at some point also heard some gibberish; something along the lines of “Alright, that's it! I wanna go home! I don’t want to be in Teyvat anymore! I want Wifi! I want cola! Mom come pick me up I’m scared! ESC!” whatever those words meant. 

 

Only after that hasty report do the Geo shackles ease their tension inside the Yaksha’s shoulder blades. Oneiros opens his mouth to speak. If he is currently smiling, there's no way to tell. Not only is he robed and hooded, there's also nothing on his face but bones. 

 

“The dragon was harmed, and the divine cloud fell. The race of Dryads was nearly wiped out. I do find it interesting.” Oneiros leans forward on his throne. “I too have heard that presence’s demand for the Terra Archon. Such a transcending presence, almost as if it forcefully casts waking daydreams into all of those around it. I demand to know more! I must find this Terra Archon!”

 

The Yaksha's eyes widen, and his pupils constrict. He may soon be sent back to Liyue, all to investigate that unspeakable horror. 

 

“My Lord,” a macho Yaksha with four arms and purple tattoos slowly approaches Oneiros, kneeling down to the ground once he is beside the Anemo Yaksha. “Dare I ask, for what reason do you seek the Terra Archon?”

 

Hidden within the castle are hundreds of Yakshas, each bound by a restraint unique to itself. Right now, most of them are tensing up. Few dare to outright question their Lord's command.

 

Lucky for the Yakshas, Oneiros appears to be in quite an agreeable mood, as he explains: “The entity behind the great disturbance, the one in pursuit of the Terra Archon, exists beyond the realm of Teyvat. It's likely tied to the Celestia. Unless this Terra Archon has remained hidden until now, only recently noticed by that entity, it must be an Archon, born not long ago. Judging by what we've heard, it seems the Terra Archon poses quite a threat to those above. This is unheard of.”

 

Several clicks of bony joints are heard, as Oneiros arises from his throne. He reaches out, and a few other Yakshas are pulled before him like they're puppets. 

 

“That is why we must find this newborn Archon. Whether through collaboration or elimination, this must be done before the other Archons intervene further. They may hold the key to the victory in this Archon War. They must join us, or face annihilation!”

 

The Dream Archon curves his index finger, and Yakshas of various elements group into pairs and trios. They move on their own, yet appear as if they were puppets whose strings were violently yanked. 

 

“Investigate this Archon, and bring them to me! Should you encounter any resistance, do what you Yakshas do best.” 

 

Teams of Yaksha hastily depart for the Harbor, and only the Anemo and four-armed Electro Yaksha are left kneeling before the Lord. 

 

“As for you three,” Oneiros announces, “I’m expecting more from you than the rest of them. Focus on your primary target, but if chance permits, have a look at the Geo and Cloud Archons. Let me know about their injuries.”

 

“Us, three?” the Anemo Yaksha wonders. An awful taste emerges in his mouth. Once permitted to raise his head, he lays eyes on the only other creature that he despises more than his Lord: the only Yaksha under Oneiros' command, that's not bound by any kind of shackles. 

 

“I hope we work well,” a slim Yaksha steps out from the shadow of the Lord's throne. Frosty mist emits from his presence, and with each step, he leaves behind a trail of thin ice on the ground. He extends an open hand towards the Anemo Yaksha, and greets mockingly: “Brother.”

 

-------

 

“Corcell, who is this Feng?” While piloting the dust cloud, and soaring through the sky, Guizhong turns to her friend and asks. 

 

“I am not too sure myself,” Corcell confesses. A fter all, they've only met for mere days. 

 

“Awfully insistent on bringing him with ya when you don't even know much about him.” Guizhong comments. “Was it you who told him about me and my mechanical arts?”

 

Corcell shakes her head: “I have never mentioned you to him. I too was surprised that he knew that about you.”

 

“Makes you think huh?” Guizhong says as she glances at the lands below. 

 

“We are crossing over…”

 

“Yep, where the Guili assembly once was.” Guizhong’s face falls to a bitter smile.

 

“I’m sorry I couldn't be there.” Corcell remarks. 

 

“It wasn’t your fault. The Cloud City, by design, floats in the opposite ways of conflict. You couldn’t be where you couldn’t be.” 

 

Corcell feels that her friend was referring not just to her. But either way, her absence during the assembly’s attack was one of the reasons Crocell is currently very hesitant to seek help from Guizhong.

 

How could Corcell ask for what she herself had failed to deliver? 

 

“About Feng,” Corcell continues, changing back the subject. “Do you remember when you first met Morax?”

 

A little spark shines in Guizhong’s eyes: “Wouldn’t forget even from erosion!” 

 

“What made you decide to place your trust in him?” 

 

"Let's see. I knew of his power, and I knew that my wisdom would be a good complement to it. As for the old stone himself? When he sliced off the corner of that cliff as his oath to Liyue’s protection, I knew that he would not break those promises." Guizhong answers.

 

“The side of a cliff.” Corcell renounces. Her mind jumps back to the labyrinth in Mt. Tianheng. “It’s just, and I can't tell why it is, I've been curious about this person.” 

 

Guizhong finally looks back at her friend. 

 

Curious? Was curiosity enough to drive her to combat other Archons for a stranger? What has happened to this old friend of hers? The Cloud Archon, the avoidant deity, who’s so evasive to troubles that she raised her land to the sky, is now pursuing a stranger. 

 

“But is Feng really the key to your City’s rescue? Is he powerful enough? How come you were this wounded when he and you fought the Ocean Archons?” Guizhong inspects Corcell’s wings once again. 

 

“No, I can’t say that his power can rival that of most other Archons,” Corcell admits. “But Guizhong, is Morax’s power the only reason why you’ve decided to join forces with him?”

 

“What else do you reckon?”

 

“Then, would you abandon this alliance with him, if one day Morax were to lose his power?” Corcell probes. 

 

“That would not happen.” 

 

"But if it does, what would you do? For some reason, I think you'll be by his side even if he loses everything," Corcell speaks. From this moment on, she isn't certain if she’s addressing Guizhong or speaking to herself. "I… I have this unwavering feeling that if I were to return to my City without him, I would fail to reclaim it from the cultists. I can’t quite explain why I feel this way. Maybe it’s because of that feeling that I don't want him to leave."

 

Guizhong remains silent. There's no need to confirm or deny Corcell’s hypothesis, for Guizhong knows that deep down, she's exactly as Guizhong has described. 

 

From the very beginning, Guizhong approached Morax because she believed that her wisdom combined with his power would surely allow them to create and protect a safe nation where the people can call home. At first, Guizhong insisted that she had made her decision completely rationally. But now? She has to admit that she'd uphold her alliance with Morax, even if his power may no longer be present. What rationale could she give to explain that? 

 

That said, she doesn’t have to explain anything; Guizhong understands why Corcell would ask her that question. The cloud is acting on a reason which her reason knows nothing of. That reason is one that's easily unmasked through empathy. 

 

“Strange isn't it? That I'd be placing my faith in a human?” Corcell releases a weak chuckle. 

 

“He’s not just a human! At least half of his blood is that of an Adeptus.”

 

“Adeptus?” 

 

“Right, you’ve always been on the fly, that you probably haven’t got to learn much about Liyue.” Guizhong sits back down beside Corcell. “In Liyue, Archons aren’t the only deities. Illuminated beings scatter across this bountiful land. From mythical beasts, to humans who have cultivated immortality, we refer to them as Adepti.” 

 

Corcell relates Guizhong’s words back home. She remembers how when she first elevated her city, often that old Arch Wyvern would drop by as a guest. She and him would often converse over starwine, and weave precious moments on the skymills. In time, the place where the dragon meets the cloud is built to host them in their human form, and that’s often where much of the City's gatherings occur. 

 

Eventually, with the alliance formed between the skylings and the Cloud City, it saw the integration of residents of various backgrounds and origins. 

 

Perhaps Liyue, its people, their gods and the Adepti had similar stories? 

 

Corcell tries to listen, but she can’t help but to wonder if that old Arch Wyvern is still alive. If so, right now, he must be fighting those cultists until he sheds his last drop of dragon blood. 

 

An audible sigh comes from Guizhong, and Corcell realizes that her mind has gone on a tangent. 

 

“Alright, let’s get you patched up, and think of a plan for your City.” Guizhong’s gentle voice befalls then turns serious immediately after. “But as I was saying, Feng has Adeptus blood in him. So if anything, he is definitely not just some random human.”

 

“But that’s what he told me.” Corcell retorts.  

 

“And now I’m wondering what else he could have hidden from you.” 

 

“Perhaps he doesn’t know that himself?” 

 

“XiaoYun, this guy knows an awful lot about Liyue, and not even Morax knows who he is. None of us do.” Guizhong crosses her arms. “And trust me, the old rock has gone and talked to a lot of Adepti in Liyue. His contract with them contains literally dozens of names. So I am somehow very suspicious that Feng doesn’t know about his own divine lineage.”

 

XiaoYun is the nickname that Guizhong gave to Corcell, back when the Guili Assembly was still thriving. It means “little cloud”. Like many Archons, Corcell has given herself her own name, and usually isn't comfortable with others calling her otherwise. 

 

Her friend Guizhong’s nickname is that exception. 

 

But even their friendship doesn't make Guizhong's words any more tolerable to Corcell. 

 

“What are you getting at!?” She asks. 

 

Guizhong, sensing that her friend is sounding a little defensive, softens her tone a bit: “What I’m getting at is that if you have decided to ally with him, you need to at least know that you can trust him. I’m sure that is exactly what Morax is trying to decide during their negotiation.”

 

Corcell remains silent, allowing Guizhong to continue. 

 

“Who dares to predict the heart of a man? I once thought I knew everyone who had faith in me, yet my mistrust over a single person cost me my entire Assembly. To be frank, it nearly cost my life too.” 

 

Corcell can sympathize with Guizhong's cautiousness. Should one really judge a cynical heart that is born from betrayed trust? 

 

“But he won't…” Corcell whispers. 

 

Words of an old friend on one hand, and a near stranger on the other, what was supposed to be an easy side to pick is currently exhausting the Goddess.

 

During Corcell’s silence, Guizhong too realises that her mind has likewise gone on a tangent. Perhaps she has been overly critical of this stranger. 

 

“Hey, since neither of us knows much about him, how about we start finding that out?” Guizhong proposes, trying to brighten up her own voice. 

 

“We? How come you now want to know about him?”

 

“I don’t,” a nonchalant reply, “But for some reason both you and Morax are trying to get along with him, I naturally can't just sit aside.” 

 

“What do you plan on doing?” 

 

Guizhong, ignoring the slight concern in Corcell's tone, puts on a naughty little grin and extends her hand. Over her palm, a medium-ish-sized box materializes in several streams of golden lights. 

 

“Another invention?” 

 

“It's a surprise tool that will help us later.” Guizhong winks. 

 

Corcell looks below, both in search of Feng as they have arrived over Liyue Harbor, and also to conceal her uneasiness. The Guizhong she knows is a competent goddess, worthy of worship and praise. However, at the same time, Corcell also knows that the Dust Archon is a rather naughty girl. 

 

But of course, Morax’s contractual negotiations are serious events. Not even Guizhong would be doing something outright absurd.

 

Right?

 

“Look.” Corcell points to Marchosius, and the two Archons land. 

 

-------

 

Fear is a relative, subjective feeling that is better described as a spectrum than a dichotomy: fear vs no fear. 

 

For example, is one scared of spiders? Well, it depends on how big the spider is, and also where it currently is. 

 

Similarly, Feng’s fear of height, as he is riding Guizhong’s dust cloud towards Mt. Aocang, can be best described as:

 

WAHHHHHHHHHH.mp3

 

Internally speaking. 

 

Not wanting to scare Corcell or Guizhong, Feng took off the helmet of his Space Armor set when they met. The crystallization shield was disabled instantly alongside the armour’s set bonus.

 

Now they're in the air, Feng finds it necessary to keep the helmet on just so he can tolerate the heavy wind. 

 

“Feng, was it? I am Hagentus, Archon of Dust. But you can call me Guizhong; that's what all my friends call me.”

 

“My admiration dates long back.” Feng half mindfully says a generic polite phrase of Liyue origin. 

 

While that statement is technically true if one considers hearing about Guizhong’s lore in his previous life as “dates long back”, Feng quickly realises that what he said doesn't quite make sense in his current situation. 

 

“Really? What else do you know about me?” Guizhong politely asks.

 

However Feng senses a fine chill when his eyes meet hers.  

 

It's like gazing at your mom when she asks you: “Do you know what you did wrong?” when you have literally no idea what she could possibly be referring to, but no matter what it can't be good. 

 

“There aren't many details.” Feng answers. 

 

“Come on~ don’t be like that. I always love a good chat.” 

 

“Haha…” Feng looks away momentarily, but immediately turns back to Guizhong. 

 

It's because Feng has something important to say and definitely not because of his fear of height. 

 

“Ms. Guizhong, wait no. Um, Lady Dust Archon? (Man this sounds weird)”

 

“Guizhong is okay, relax.” Guizhong giggles. Neither Feng nor Corcell can sense a slight bit of joy from her though. 

 

“Sure then. Guizhong, no need to be so impatient. Once we’re at Mt. Aocang, there’s no escaping my interrogation.”

 

The smile freezes over Guizhong’s face. Feng watches as it melts away bit by bit as Guizhong speaks no more. 

 

“Interrogation?” Corcell frons. “What is happening here?”

 

“Perhaps I know too much for my own good.” Feng remarks. “If the Archon War is still ongoing, then it's no wonder that Liyue is this vigilant. But it should be fine. I know a lot, but I ain't got nothing to hide.”

 

Feng isn’t adept at socialising, but he isn’t stupid. When he called Morax “Zhongli”, he knew that he might have f#&ked up. He just reincarnated, no one knows who he is, yet he himself seems to know quite a lot about the important characters in this world. 

 

Perhaps, had Feng reincarnated into the game’s current timeline, he’d be facing less pressure than now. 

 

However, currently, the world of Teyvat is undergoing the Archon War. 

 

Feng knows that punishment for espionage during war is being subject to weaponized testicular torsion. 

 

He read it somewhere on the internet, so it must be true. 

 

And Feng wants nothing of that. 

 

Corcell catches on, (not the weaponized torsion part) and now it makes more sense to her why Guizhong seems so vigilant towards Feng. 

 

“So how did you know this much about Liyue?” Corcell asks. 

 

Feng agrees that’s something he should answer, but he is not about to explain to a bunch of ancient deities what a videogame is. 

 

Just like Feng would never explain to his therapist what Medium Core Terraria is. 

 

“Perhaps once we’re there, I'd compost my words better.”

 

-------

 

Back at the Harbor, a certain blacksmithing shop is surrounded by the crowd. Rumours and tales of the owner foraging divine armour circulate like wildfire, and they are as captivating as they are inaccurate. 

 

What’s more, whenever someone asks the owner about these rumours, he'd not speak a word. His head would not lift until he finished smithing.

 

Even while on breaks, inquiries only receive replies along the lines of: “I’m not one for idle chats. If you are here to shop, talk to Ergou.”

 

The debates and discussions surrounding the shop and the Adeptus who visited it are heating up, so much so that no one has noticed the sudden chill in the air. 

 

Right outside the Harbor’s border, three Yakshas dwell in a cave. The Anemo Yaksha puts his hand behind his ear, and listens carefully to the wind. 

 

The electro Yaksha stays quiet, lessening even his own breathing so as to not disturb the Anemo Yaksha. This makes it appear as if a four-armed statue is guarding a young wolf. 

 

The third member, however, is less considerate. The cryo Yaksha walks around, and with each of his steps, the nearby vegetation is frozen solid and then shattered. 

 

He gazes around the straw huts and mud brick houses at the border, which are much less elegant when compared to the building at the center of the Harbor. 

 

He sticks up his nose and sniffs. 

 

Ah yes, an old woman who is bedridden from illness. Maybe her dreams are of the family members she misses dearly. 

 

A sweaty farmer with rusted tools, perhaps he’d dream of delicious food that he has always only had the chance to smell but never taste.

 

A new mother, whose baby still reeks of the scent of milk.

 

A comparatively well-bathed guy, surrounded by dried-up herbs, fruits, and roots of various types. What would an apothecary's dream be like?

 

And, oh? There is one. A lone young man surrounded by dusty old bamboo sticks and low-quality ink. A struggling scholar who just returned home after a meal outside.

 

The cryo Yaksha walks to the waterfall near their hiding cave. With a touch of his finger, the Yaksha freezes a few small platforms from the stream. 

 

He steps on them and leaps to the top of the mountain. The platforms melt into nothing soon after. The Cryo Yaksha looks down upon the clusters of buildings, and how their density gradually thins out the further away they are from the Harbor’s centre. 

 

“A tiny wooden hut with straws as the roof, perfect.” the Yaksha smiles, revealing two rows of shark-like teeth. 

 

He returns to the cave. 

 

“Heard anything useful?” the Cryo Yaksha asks. As he speaks, the cave grows colder. 

 

The Anemo Yaksha turns to the Electro Yaksha, not paying any attention to anyone else and says: “Around a famous food place, stands a shop that works with metal. Many are gathered there, speaking of a new Adeptus’ arrival.”

 

“Is that who we are after?” the Electro Yaksha asks. 

 

“Hundreds of mouths speak differently of the same thing, it’s hard to tell.”

 

“Is that Adeptus still near the restaurant?”

 

“Doesn’t sound like it.”

 

“Well, it didn’t lead us too far huh.”

 

“It tells enough.” the Cryo Yaksha buds in. He leans right in front of the Anemo Yaksha and instructs: “Little breeze, let your big brother know when a poor student returns to his small hut in that part of the town.”

 

“What are you talking about?” the Anemo Yaksha tries to shove him back, and he is annoyed when the Cryo Yaksha leaped away the moment before he was touched. 

 

“Haha! The smallest hut among those buildings on the side furthest away from the river. Walls of wood, roof of straw. You can’t miss it. Let us know, and we will be the first to complete our Lord’s task.”

 

The Anemo Yaksha disappears into a gush of wind, standing on top of the mountain that houses their cave in the next instance. 

 

“It sounded like our Lord wanted us to sneak into the Harbor to inspect the Terra Archon.” the Electro Yaksha says. “If we had to be stealthy, why send out so many of us?”

 

“Well, Liyue is a large place, and there’s no telling that the Harbor is where the Archons will reside.” Cryo Yaksha answers. “But what’s more, when our master said that he expected more from us three, it’s likely that he wanted us to assassinate the Archons if possible.”

 

“That’s a tall order.”

 

“Then I guess we should definitely send the shortest Yaksha for this task.” The Cryo Yaksha smirks, referring to the Anemo Yaksha on the mounting top, knowing full well that he can hear everything. 

 

“Not funny.” the Electro Yaksha groans.

 

“Come on, big gorilla, try to have a sense of humour. It’s funny to bite a human skull like a grape, just *pop” 

 

The Cryo Yaksha’s enthusiasm and cheerfulness gradually leak out as he realises that the Electro Yaksha doesn't appreciate his sense of humour. “Listen, don’t try to hold on to this ‘Oh deep down you are a good Yaksha’ kind of mentality. Nothing will change, and you’ll only get depressed.” 

 

The Electro Yaksha doesn’t respond; he merely inspects the cryo nails that are screwed into each of his 4 shoulder joints by his master. 

 

Looking back at his fellow Yaksha, the ice-cold figure almost seems as if he's as free as the birds who may flee at any moment should the desire arise. 

 

Suddenly, a gust of wind sweeps away the fallen leaves and dust at the cave's entrance. 

 

Before the Anemo Yaksha says anything, Cryo Yaksha commands: “Alright everyone, get ready, let’s go eat a grape.”

 

-------

 

“I greatly appreciate this, Morax. And I'm sure that those people will say the same.” Havria says right after signing Morax's contract. 

 

“Then the contract is set in stone. Those who breach the contract shall suffer the wrath of the rock.” 

 

A golden scroll levitating in Morax’s hand begins to shine a bright light. Soon, it materializes into thin air. The God of Contract has carefully stored away the signed document. 

 

Havria and Morax had just agreed upon the settlements of the Salt Archon’s believers. The people will be put to work, and Havria herself is in the duty of Liyue’s salt production. Thanks to the fact that Morax has been crafting and refining the laws of Liyue, those people would be treated fairly. 

 

While their labour may be demanding, it for sure beats wandering on the battlefield. 

 

“Archon of Salt, what’s the status of lands outside Liyue Harbor?” Morax asks. 

 

While he himself isn’t under-informed, Morax is still willing to hear from this Archon known for having traversed the lands. 

 

Havria pauses momentarily before saying: “Tianheng in the south, Yaoguang in the east, Jueyun in the west, Qingce in the north — All desolate and devoid of life. Liyue is vast, yet even one haven is hard to find.”

 

Morax has heard enough. His work is still far from over. 

 

The two turn to the entrance of the Adeptus Cavern to see Guizhong, Corcell, and an armoured figure who looks like he’s got partial bodily paralysis. 

 

Feng is still recovering from being that high back there. The fear lingers. 

 

Morax isn’t surprised by Feng’s appearance, he'd recognize Feng’s unique presence no matter what he looks like. 

“I do apologise for my oversight.” Morax says to Feng, referring to them leaving Feng behind back at the Harbor. 

 

“N…no, it’s fine, I… enjoyed the walk back there.” Feng replies, still audibly and visually shaking. 

 

“Some tea perhaps?” a lady of silky skin wearing a pair of glasses, approaches the nearby desk and says. 

 

“Oh hey, thanks.”

 

“If you are feeling better, shall we begin our discussion?” Morax prompts. 

 

“Yeah, of course. Um. What are we talking about exactly?” Feng asks, gulping down the herbal tea he had just received. 

 

It tastes like tea that a bird would enjoy. 

 

“Let’s start with an introduction. My name is Morax, here to present a proposition. May I have your name, young man?” 

 

“Pleased to meet your acquaintance. My name is Feng.”

 

“Which Adeptus family do you descend from?” The lady questions. 

 

Feng recognizes that woman. Xianyun. Or, perhaps it'd be more accurate to call her by her Adeptus name right now: Cloud Retainer. She is definitely really good at conversations. 

 

That said, as for her question: “I’m sorry what?” Feng’s having trouble understanding it. 

 

Why is it that he understands every word of that sentence, but put together they sound confusing?

 

The room falls silent for a short while; Guizhong has already taken out that box of hers. 

 

“Oh? Are you not aware of your Adeptus lineage?” Morax asks. 

 

“My what?” This is not what Feng thought of when he thought of interrogation. 

 

“Alright, I've heard enough!” Guizhong steps forth. 

 

She slams down a metal box over the desk where the Archons are sitting, scaring Feng in the process. 

 

“Guizhong, what is it?” Morax asks. 

 

“I’m just excited to showcase my new little invention, since there's so many of us here.”

 

“Your new invention?” The Cloud Retainer asks. 

 

The box has an opening at the top; it appears to be a dispenser of some kind. 

 

“Hmm hmm hmm,” Guizhong muffles her laugh, “Feng, a little question for you. How many elements do you think are in a living body?”

 

Feng ponders a bit. How many elements? Is she talking about Teyvat’s elements or is she talking about the periodic table? It can't be the periodic table, right?

 

Nobody knows what that table is.

 

Not even Feng. 

 

“Um, I think 6?” Feng answers. 

 

His logic: almost every single element can be technically found in the human body.

 

Hydro, be from blood.

Anemo, be from breath. 

Electro, be from nerves. 

Geo, be from bones. 

Dendro, maybe carbon?

Pryo, be from the international combustion reaction that occurs as the means for the body to convert chemical energy into kinetic ones. 

 

Nearly all seven elements can be found within a body. Except cryo. There's no ice in the body, hopefully. 

 

Yeah... that, make sense?

 

Guizhong is dumbfounded. Her original plan to show off ended up backfiring. 

 

“Lucky guess.” she groans. 

 

Feng remains silent. 

 

“But as I was saying!” Guizhong clears her throat. “This is my brand new invention: One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds!”

 

Feng mentally choked a bit upon hearing that. Why does this name sound like…like a lobotomy?

 

“Guizhong, just what is that thing?” Corcell asks, having waited during their entire trip. 

 

“This box, my dear, measures the elemental balance in the body of its user. It can detect any deviations from how a person normally functions.” Guizhong explains. 

 

“That’s what you have been working on when you shut yourself in your home?” Cloud Retainer asks as she transforms from a crane to a beautiful Adeptus lady. 

 

“Guizhong, you didn't answer my question, what is this thing?” Corcell asks, sounding more impatient than before. 

 

“Why, let me demonstrate then.” Guizhong clears her throat. “We reached here riding on Crocell’s clouds.” 

 

The moment after her speech, a puff of flame emerges from the top of the box that Guizhong is holding. At first, Corcell was confused as to what that meant, but after clearly remembering that they were carried by Guizhong’s dust, and not her own cloud, Corcell understood what her friend was up to. 

 

“Pryo emitting device?” Morax asks. “Is this for cooking?”

 

Guizhong is dumbfounded again. “No! Morax! One sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds is a device that can tell lies from truth!” 

 

“Such an invention is actually possible!?” Cloud Retainer remarks. However, every other Adeptus is silent. 

 

“So far it hasn’t failed me.” Guizhong Puffs up her chest. That said, beneath her confidence, there is one area of her invention that Guizhong is unsure of, but she plans to experiment on the spot. “And Feng, as the Co-Archon of Liyue, I demand that you sign our contract with this activated.”

 

Corcell frowns, but she doesn’t speak against this idea. She figures that Guizhong doesn’t trust Feng, this One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds may help build that trust. Perhaps that’d indeed be considered good, at the end of the day. 

 

Morax likewise makes no comment. He takes a sip of the tea that Cloud Retainer has prepared for everyone, and he ponders: to reveal all lies, even beneficent ones, surely would count as a sin. But if Guizhong believes the good deeds would be in the hundreds, then so be it. 

 

Feng’s palm becomes significantly slipperier from the sweat. “Oh! A polygraph test. This IS an interrogation afterall.” he thinks. 

 

Guizhong is pleased to see the room falling to silence. That’s exactly the kind of impact she expected from her invention. She pushes her invention in front of Feng while still wearing that sweet gentle smile. 

 

There are minor thoughts of unfairness occuring in Feng's mind, like how come Havria did not need to get a polygraph test. But Feng isn't too worried. 

 

If you've done nothing wrong, then there's nothing to fear about truth revealing. What could go wrong? Feng only caused a natural disaster. 

 

And also, can he really refuse? 

 

“Alright, how should I use this contraption?” Feng asks, extending out his open palm. 

 

Morax originally thought of saying a word or two to Guizhong, but seeing that Feng is surprisingly open to her request, the Geo Archon takes another sip of his tea instead. 

 

But in all seriousness, Feng isn’t too afraid of a lie detector. If anything, this may make those deities trust him faster. The very fact that Zhongli has invited him to Liyue means that Zhongli is surprisingly forgiving about what he did to Mt. Tianheng. 

 

Because if not, Feng surely would have been atomized on the spot. 

 

Similarly, there's no fear that Guizhong just whipped out some random box to frame him. To those gods and goddesses, there's literally no need for that. 

 

So Feng does exactly as Guizhong instructs when she says: “Rest your palm in this opening of One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds, then simply continue your discussion.”

 

When Feng's hand rests inside the box, streams of elemental powers float around the invention. A short symphony of whirring gears, clicking joints, and metallic clangs later, a shackle snaps over his wrist. 

 

Feng: “!?!?!?”

 

“Alright, let's begin.”

 

-------

 

“Ple…please, let me live…” the man whimpers as his throat is tightly locked in the Yaksha's cold sharp fingers. 

 

The cold-blue nails pierced through the flesh, holding their prey, lifting him into the air. 

 

In the humble wooden hut, frost and snow grow at the edges of walls and windows. The Cryo Yaksha easily broke in and controlled his target, as a hawk would to a chickling. 

 

“Cool off a bit.” the Yaksha says. Icy mist leaks out through his teeth along with his words. “We just want to know about what happened around the blacksmith shop today in the harbour.”

 

“Wha…are you, tal-”

 

His grip tightens, and the man begins to shake so violently that the four-armed Yaksha for a moment mistakenly thought that the man was getting shocked by lightning. 

 

“I heard that a new deity has arrived and made a local shop quite the hot topic. You would happen to know a thing or two would ya? After all, you sure smell like you have been close to those delicious dishes from the restaurants nearby.”

 

“H…h…hel…”

 

An audible sigh leaves the Yaksha, as he shakes his head and continues: “My, my, what happened to my manners? Let's shake hands shall we?”

 

He reaches for the young man’s hand and lifts it to inspect. 

 

“Quite the callous. Looks like besides your studies, you also work in the field quite often.”

 

Where their hands contact, shards of ice crystalize and spread. The poor student can feel as his sense of touch vanishes wherever the ice grows. 

 

Nails. 

 

Knuckles. 

 

Wrist.

Elbow.

Bicep. ShoulderNeck! 

 

The cold can numb them all. Yet strangely, the pain seemed to have been spared by the cold. The student feels as if the cold is a swarm of hornets, seeping into his bones to sink their stingers right to the deepest and softest marrow. 

 

“I’m glad to meet you, dear scholar. Can you tell me about what happened at that blacksmith today? It sounded like quite the news.”

 

The young man, being one raised in a humble upbringing and never experienced the rage of war, can in no way tolerate having half of his body mutilated. On the edge of his consciousness, he softly lets out: “All … I know … is a new Adeptus … there.”

 

“Oh, I see. How nice. Where is this Adeptus? Which direction did they leave for?” the Yaksha questions enthusiastically as would a curious traveller ask their tourist guide. 

 

The student now only lets out whimpers. His eyes gaze to one side before rolling back, revealing their whites. The Yaksha is satisfied. Without turning back, he says to his teammate near the entrance: “Anyone would like a free dream?”

 

The Anemo Yaksha leaves for the cave, while the Electro Yaksha reminds with a frown: “We’re not on collection duty right now!”

 

“Wouldn’t hurt. Oh well, more for me.”

 

The Cryo Yaksha pulls the man closer to his mouth, opens wide and then. 

 

With teeth that sharp, it really is like biting off half a grape. 

 

The fountain of blood barely reaches the floor before it is frozen solid, just like the seated corpse that has now lost the upper half of its skull. The Yaksha wipes away the bit of fluid on the corner of his mouth and says as he exits the hut: “The new Adeptus has left the Harbor. That direction where he gazed at, somewhere near Mt. Aocang.”

 

“They’ll know for sure.” The Electro Yaksha warns. “If our little brother can hear what you’ve done, then so can the deities of Liyue.”

 

“We’ll have enough time to retreat.” The Cryo Yaksha explains. “First, this old town is more isolated than other areas of the nation, so reinforcement will take a little longer to arrive. Second, Liyue currently has bigger problems to worry about; our other Yaksha brothers and sisters must have stirred up some troubles elsewhere. And besides, Now matter which Adeptus arrives, they won’t be a threat to me.” 

 

“Try saying that when Morax arrives.” The Electro Yaksha scuffs. He has no idea what the “bigger trouble” meant.

 

“If the Archon himself personally tends to every bit of minor events, Liyue would not be as large as it is today. The god has other deities to help him, my bro. Ever seen our Lord doing stuff that he could send us to do instead? And besides, with this many Yakshas killing all around, I am willing to bet that we’re not Morax’s first target!”

 

Right before the Yakshas leave the hut, the Cryo one turns back. He places a speck of elemental power over the ice sculpture he just created and remarks: “Nearly forgot to finish the job.”

 

The Yakshas gather at the nearby cave once again. To the Electro Yaksha’s surprise, no one has arrived yet to face them. Usually, such an assault in the nation would have immediately summoned the Adepti. They, after all, have all signed Morax’s contract to look over this nation. 

 

“The Adepti has acted. Some of us have already fallen.” The Anemo Yaksha reports on what he has heard. 

 

“No need to thank me, big guy.” Cryo Yaksha turns and says to his 4-armed brother. 

 

His eyes widened a bit: “You used them, the other Yakshas, as a distraction!?”

 

“They are distractions to begin with. The less skilled Yakshas would for sure be discovered sooner. With this many of us deployed, it can somewhat spread out the army and the Adepti. I simply played the cards I had.” Cryo Yaksha explains. 

 

The Anemo Yaksha announces: “Mt. Aocang. I got it.” before disappearing on the spot. He knows what his brother has done. The Cryo Yaksha sniffed out a target that both knew what they needed to know, and whose death would stir up less trouble than the Yakshas elsewhere. This way, they have their information while still remaining largely hidden enough to escape. All of that from but a few sniffs in the air. 

 

Even though the Anemo Yaksha admits his teammate’s abilities, he can’t bring himself to admire that cold-blooded monster. 

Thinking that, the Anemo Yaksha’s pace slows down a bit; he mockingly reflects: “Oh what right have I to call him a monster? ”

 

“Impatient as always.” Back in the cave, the Cyro Yaksha shakes his head as he leaves with the Electro Yaksha. 

 

“Are you so sure that the human knew where we should go?? What if you are wrong?” 

 

“We’ll worry about it then.” The Cryo Yaksha nonchalantly smirks. 

 

“And what if that human was wrong?” 

 

“Then I can just do the same to an Adeptus in Mt. Aocang.” The Cryo Yaksha replies coldly.

 

The Electro Yaksha doesn’t know what to say. As if trying to avoid an awkward silence, the Cryo Yaksha turns and corrects: “I’m bluffing of course. I had about 12 other candidates to pick from in that little town. We’d complete our missions either way.”

 

The dual travels without further chats. However, deep down, the Electro Yaksha knows: his cold-blooded brother was not bluffing. 

 

-------

 

“You probably don’t think we can turn you inside out on the spot. Well, we can! So you better start telling me what I want to know!”

 

“We can do this the easy way, or we can do this the hard way.”

 

“You better start talking then.”

 

“TALK!”

 

“TALK!!” 

 

“TALK!!!”

 

And there is Feng, bleeding out of every inch of his body, barely conscious, listening to them screaming into his ear. 

 

With his dying breath, Feng shouts out against the utter injustice he has suffered: “You all keep asking me to TALK TALK TALK. Every. Single. ONE of you came and beat me til an inch of my life, telling me to talk!”

 

Feng spits out a pile of blood through gritted teeth as he continues: “Now this must be news for you: None of you asked me anything! How am I supposed to know what you want me to talk about!?!! ASK! damnit ASK!

 

That’s how Feng expected the integration would have gone. 

 

Well, it didn’t go that way. 

 

Let’s start with the basics. What's your name?” Guizhong prompts. 

 

Feng doesn’t appreciate such an arbitrary question. He nonchalantly replies: “My name is Feng.”

 

Suddenly, a puff of steam emerged from One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds. Confused, Feng looked to Guizhong for an explanation. 

 

“Just know that you should stay truthful during our little chat.” She replies. 

 

“Huh? What do you mean?”

 

“Only when your answer is absolutely truthful will One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds blow a hydro bubble. Even half lies wouldn't be tolerated.”

 

“What the hell!? That's my name! Are you sure this box isn’t actually a cooking device?” Feng thinks. But he instead just says: “Oh.”

 

The questions continue. One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds blew hydro bubbles, signifying that Feng has been telling the truth for most of his answers. 

 

“Where did you come from?” the Cloud Retainer asks, following the list of questions on a little scroll that came with Guizhong's invention. 

 

“Okay. You might not believe this, but I came from another world.”

 

But this time, the machine blew a puff of steam again. 

 

Okay, perhaps this isn't for cooking. This box is a sauna.

 

“Guizhong, what does this mean?” Corcell asks quietly.

 

“Strange, strange indeed.” Guizhong analyses: “A lie would have triggered the pyro element, while the truth would have dispensed hydro. That was a vaporisation reaction; one which contains both elemental types. This means what he said was only half the truth. But how could that be the case?”

 

“Then he half lied about his name? How come?” Crocell continues. “Are you sure your box is accurate?”

 

“As accurate as I can make it. It may be that his name is very close to what he said. Or, he may have multiple names. But for where he came from, how can one half-lie about that?”

 

“Which Adeptus family do you come from?”

 

“I don’t have one.”

 

“Feng, are you an Archon?” Cloud Retainer asks. 

 

“Why even ask this? Archons can tell one another by their presence. We can tell that he’s not.” Corcell whispers to Guizhong. 

 

“Just watch.” Guizhong answers while gesturing for Corcell to be quiet. 

 

“Nope, pretty sure I am a human.” Feng answers. 

 

He isn’t sure what it means to be an Archon, but the last time he checked, “Devine genetic heritage” was not part of his resume. 

 

To his surprise, however, the machine flashes a bright orange-red fireball, indicating a lie. 

 

Feng: “...”

 

Feng: “?”

 

Feng: “!?!?!??!????”

 

Corcell looks amused, yet her gaze conveys no judgment. On the other hand, Guizhong quietly smirks, as if she’s saying: “Gotcha.”

 

Morax lets out a “Hmm”, but his expression remains neutral. 

 

Feng on the other hand… “No! No no no no no no no wait wait wait wait! *gulp. WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!” 


Despite that inner meme moment, he somehow manages to remain calm on the outside and asks: “What?”

 

“Wow, look at that,” Guizhong says, crossing her arms. “Why would an Archon lie about what he is?”

 

“I didn’t lie about what I am. I never knew I was an Archon!” 

 

This time, the box blows a hydro bubble. A truth. 

 

Just when everyone is confused, Morax speaks up: “You have been there, haven’t you? Up there, Celestia, where the Heavenly principle resides.”

 

“Celestia?” Feng is reminded. “Oh, that place. That marble place in the sky. Oh yeah, I was up there. Why?”

 

Feng recalls that during his battle with Osial, while on the brink of death, his consciousness was elsewhere. 

 

Corcell too recognizes what Feng described. 

 

“I guess, if you were truly from another world, it’d be no surprise that this rule would be news to you.” Morax continues. “The implication of entering Celestia. Mortals who enter the divine realm will assume godhood themselves, and become what we call Archons.”

 

“Um.”

 

“If you were a human, you’re now an Archon. The change happened the moment you entered Celestia.” 

 

“?”

 

“!?” 

 

“‽”

 

To be fair, you can’t really blame Feng’s disbelief. 

 

[Reincarnated Into Teyvat. I Became a God After a Fish Bit Me.]

 

Yeah right.

 

“Sorry for interrupting. Please continue.” Morax says to Cloud Retainer.

 

“Yes Rex Lapis.” The Adeptus continues on: “Feng, if you are an Archon, then what is your power?”

 

“My power?” Feng falls silent. What is his power really? Should he disclose his Block System? Should he describe his current abilities? Should he reveal his final form based on what end-game characters typically look like? “I can Mine! And I can Craft!” But Feng is in no mood to joke.  

 

Eventually, Feng answers: “I guess you can call my power: Terraria?”

 

Most Adepti in the room aren’t sure of what Feng meant. Terraria sure is a strange new word to them. However, the other Archons are exceptions. 

 

Guizhong and Corcell look to one another and back to Feng. 

 

The Cloud Retainer turns to Rex Lapis, waiting for his guidance. 

 

The cup of tea that Morax has lifted for another taste stops mid-air in its track. A short moment later, Morax lowers his tea and demands: “Can you elaborate?”

 

“I wouldn’t know where to start. My power, as you call it, includes many abilities. Too many to elaborate on.”

 

The box displays a hydro bubble. 

 

Corcell appears slightly disappointed; she can’t help but think that Feng was avoiding the question. 

 

“Then how did you…” Guizhong adds, wanting to know where and how Feng knew so much about them. 

 

Morax raises his hand, stopping Guizhong's words. Guizhong complies, but not out of obedience. Liyue’s Archons and Adeptus all at once become much more serious. 

 

“We shall investigate at once!” Cloud Retainer reports to Morax. After a nod from the Archon, every Adepti disappears from Mt. Aocang. 

 

“What happened?” Feng asks.

 

“Perhaps an attack on Liyue territory.” Corcell guesses. 

 

As Archons, they can sense when their believers are in danger. It is a pain that has anchored itself in Corcell’s heart since she fell onto Feng's face. Even though the Cloud Archon can’t detect what's happening to Liyue’s people, Corcell nevertheless recognizes the deities’ reactions. 

 

Indeed, the deities have sensed that the Yakshas are now causing massive panic around Liyue’s borders. 

 

“Guizhong, why don’t you…” Morax says to Guizhong, but she leaves before his words are finished. Morax lets out a sigh. He originally intended to have Guizhong stay with Corcell so that the two could look after one another. However, it appears that the Dust Archon’s desire to protect Liyue forbids her own stay. 

 

Even Havria rushes back to where her believers had settled. 

 

Feng begins to wonder: what could possibly be attacking Liyue right now? Who dares to do so?

 

Definitely not one of the other seven nations. As far as Feng knows, none of those nations are at war with one another. Heck, do all seven nations even exist right now? During this timeline?

 

But all the Adepti that Feng can recognize have left, presumably for battle. That means either this attack is by an extraordinarily powerful foe, or that it’s a large-scale operation that covers many areas of the nation. 

 

However, if that were the case, why is Morax of all people staying behind? Isn't he the real powerhouse of Liyue?

 

“Should we help?” Feng tentatively questions. 

 

Morax brings his tea near his lip but doesn't take a sip. He looks at the reflection in the cup and asks. “I do apologise for this incident. Let's continue our talk. I have but a few questions for you. Feng, why did you help out Havria?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Do you two know each other?” Morax probes.

 

“No, I wouldn't say that.” Feng replies. “I helped, simply because those people needed help.”

 

A hydro bubble blows. Feng is even a little proud of himself for what he said, though he doesn't let it show. 

 

“Why did you come to Liyue?” Morax lightly nods and continues. 

 

“I woke up here when I arrived at the world of Teyvat.” Feng answers. “I hold no ill will towards this nation.” Another hydro bubble. 

 

“Then why did you destroy Mt. Tianheng’s base?” 

 

Feng places down two blocks of stone with his free hand, then takes out his pickaxe to mine out the one at the bottom. The remaining two Archons in Mt. Aocang watch as the stone block on top levitates. Feng even puts his own empty tea cup on top of that block to prove to everyone that it is real. 

 

“I had falsely assumed that the mountain would levitate just as this block of stone does.” Feng explains. “That’s also an aspect of my power. I guess I was wrong though.”

 

Morax smiles, as if he is saying: “I see, now I understand what has happened.” he gestures with open palm as he continues his questioning: “How did you know of my Mortal name?” He finally takes a sip. “And everything else?”

 

“Alright, that would take me days to fully explain, but you know how I’m from another world? You can think of me having read a book back in my world, narrating to me the World of Teyvat, its history, its characters, and more.”

 

Morax is thoughtful of the response, but he doesn’t dwell on it. Now is not the time. But a reason, even one as absurd as that, once proven true by Guizhong’s invention, still is enough to solidify Morax’s decision. 

 

“Feng, would you join forces with Liyue? We wish not for dominion, only that the common folk wouldn’t suffer. To cleanse the land, and protect our safe Harbour. That is the first contract of Liyue.”

 

Feng understands that this is an offer, one that is given despite his wrongdoing back then. Considering that even with an end game weapon, Feng had to run away from a slime, it’d be an opportunity of a lifetime for him to shelter in Liyue. 

 

If he simply says yes, he’d have the backing of a god, whom he knows will prevail in this Archon War. 

 

Despite all that, Feng questions back: “You would accept me as an ally, even though I have caused a disaster?”

 

“It isn’t wise to argue against your own favour. But to clarify, yes. No one was hurt by Mt. Tianheng’s collapse, and your battle against the Ocean Archons did indeed help out Liyue. I consider that an adequate amendment.”

 

To be frank, Feng kinda knew that when Morax first accepted him into the contract negotiation. That is why Feng was so willing to subject himself to Guizhong’s lie detector. If Rex Lapis really sought retribution, Feng would’ve died on the spot. 

 

But nevertheless, it’s comforting for Feng to make sure of it. However, Feng finds flaws in Morax’s reasons. Osial and Beisht weren’t driven away by Feng; it was Morax himself. Then why did he…

 

In the end, Feng takes the hint and decides to not argue against his own favour. 

 

“I see.” Feng expresses. “But what do you want from me exactly? An alliance must contribute. I’m sure the Salt Archon is putting her power to Liyue’s benefit already.”

 

“If you still need time to familiarise yourself with your own power, then you need not to be too involved in Liyue’s development, or even its protection. As I have said, you may consider our nation a resting place. So far, I merely wish to form a basic contract with you: a promise from you that you won’t cause harm to this nation.” Morax explains. 

 

“That’s it?” 

 

“Indeed.”

 

“If I dare ask, what’s in it for you then?” Feng questions. 

 

If the Morax before him is the one Feng knows from the game’s lore, then he isn’t afraid that Morax would lay traps within his contracts. That said, Feng is cautious about offers that seem too good to be true. 

 

“If the contract is enforced, then peace shall befall every party. When the contract is breached, and the wrath of the rock descends, the contract remains as the reason for battle. Only when we clarify our expectations of each other, shall we then coexist. So it goes with Archons; so it goes with every life form.”

 

Morax looks to his own tea when speaking, as if his words were directed not just to Feng. 

 

Corcell has been silent this entire time as she witnessed Feng’s negotiations. Her eyes never left Feng. When she notices that Feng seems to be moved by Morax's offer, she turns towards Mt. Aocang’s exit. 

 

How laughable, that I, the embodiment of clouds, would momentarily forget the inevitability of change. How inexorable its march, how relentless its pursuit. I, as an Archon, have desired this human. I truly did. Oh, how I longed for the comfort of certainty, for the reassuring embrace of the idea, that he is who I thought he was. But alas, even the resistance from a God is futile against changes. Turns out, he wasn’t the key to my City’s rescue, but rather just another being existing upon this land as his own character. I shouldn’t have forced him upon the pedestal of my own making, and I shouldn’t then force him to join in a war that was never meant to be his.

The Cloud Archon ponders what she could do next. The once clear sky now sees fragments of clouds drifting and shifting, never managing to retain any shape for form. 

 

“Morax, I greatly appreciate your offer. Even without a contract, I never planned to do anyone harm. I’ll accept your contract, but I too have a few questions left.” Feng says. He stands up and retrieves his cup of tea from the floating block of stone that he placed. 

 

His movement is a little awkward because one of his hands is still locked inside One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds. 

 

It’s actually quite heavy.

 

“Ask to your heart’s content.”

 

“Isn’t Liyue under attack right now? Shouldn't you be out there to help?”

 

“The Adepti and Archons are adequate for now. And besides, I must remain to fulfil my part of the contract.”

 

Feng isn’t sure what Morax means, but he also doesn't feel like asking. 

 

“Alright, then, last question.” Feng returns the cup to Mt. Aocang. He meets Morax right in the eyes and asks: “If I need to borrow Liyue’s Army against the Lunatic Cultists, what must I give back as the price?”

 

Corcell’s steps suddenly come to a halt; she stands right at the entrance of the room, facing the cloudless sky outside. 

 

“I suppose that is for the Cloud Archon?” Morax asks. 

 

“It is. Her City is under attack, and I am going to help. But I know I am not currently powerful enough to face those cultists alone.” Feng now sounds more serious than ever. “If possible, I hope that Liyue can extend a helping hand.”

 

“Asking a nation to fight in another nation’s war is beyond just a helping hand.” Morax says. “What can you offer Liyue that could be exchanged for us to deploy for battle?”

 

Feng chokes on his words. What can he offer in exchange for a divine army? How would he know? He has 2 slime worth of Mora. 

 

To be honest, if his system actually works, he could probably research money and absolutely doom the world by upping the inflation rate to incomprehensible levels. But sadly, he can’t. 

 

Since the system acts like Terraria if someone had dropped their computer on the floor, it ain’t helping much. 

 

But outside the system, what else could he do? 

 

“Oh well, worth a try, I guess.” Feng sighs. “Let’s sign this contract.” 

 

Morax pauses for a moment, as if he did not expect Feng to give up this early. Nevertheless, he waves his hand and materialises a golden scroll. Words begin to appear on the scroll, formulating the content of the contract. Feng can read it. He doesn’t know how he came to learn this foreign language, but he can indeed read it. 

 

“Very well, then. Shall we use your Archon name?” Morax asks.

 

“I don’t have an Archon name.” Feng says.

 

The box which his hand is locked inside shoots out a puff of flame. 

 

“Alright, buddy. I didn’t know I had one!” 

 

A hydro bubble. 

 

“I hate this thing.” Says Feng. “How do you all know your Archon names? Did you like, name yourselves?”

 

“For some of us, it is given. But one you give yourself would work just fine. What shall we put on our contract?”

 

“Terrarian then.” Feng answers, remembering the name he saw from his block system on the first day of his reincarnation. “You can say that I was given that name.”

 

“Hmm,” Morax hesitates thoughtfully. 

 

“Something wrong?” 

 

“Terrarian” Morax mutters. “Terra, meaning Land. Do you know of the Terra Archon?”

 

“Who?”

 

“Nevermind.” Zhongli says. “Then may our contract be set in stone. Those who break the contract shall suffer the wrath of the rock.” 

 

The golden scroll begins to glow a brilliant light. Soon after it dematerializes. 

 

“That was our contract? Where it go?”

 

“I have stored it away.” Morax answers. 

 

“... where?” Feng asks again, thinking to himself: “do you have an inventory menu as well?

 

“Sentient creatures of Teyvat, whether Archons or Genshins, each have their own field of consciousness, where they can store a limited amount of items. Feel it around, you should be able to access it via your mind.” Morax explains as he stands up. “Please forgive the rude interruption. I sincerely welcome you to Liyue.”

 

Feng smiles back. He gestures to One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds and says: “Thank you, Rex Lapis. Now can we take this box off?”

 

“I’m afraid that we’ll have to wait for Guizhong’s return for that.”

 

“... Excuse me?”

 

-------

 

“Sorry I couldn’t offer much. Neither to you nor to Morax to let him lend us strength.” Feng apologises to Corcell as the two walk around Mt. Aocang. 

 

Some fresh air after a rather uncomfortable meeting helps Feng to relax a bit. Only a bit though. That One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds weighs something like 20 kg. 

 

“Thanks for trying though.” Corcell answers. “I never expected help from another Archon.”

 

A puff of flame blows from Feng’s boxed hand.

 

“Yo what the heck!?” Feng jumps.

 

Now even Corcell gets why her friend’s invention would be considered a sin. 

 

“Not even help from a friend?” Feng wonders, thankful that he’s not actually on fire. “You and Guizhong are friends, right?”

 

“Long story. But I don’t deserve her help.” Corcell answers. 

 

“Now that’s an issue. If I just head to your City as I am right now, and we fight about 50 cultists at once, I’ll be powderized in about 3 seconds.”

 

“There should be only a dozen of them.” Corcell says, staring unmoving at the clear sky in the direction of her City. 

 

“That doesn’t help. Each of them can split into multiple images, we’re still facing a small army that can shoot magic and summon dragons.” Feng says in a deflated tone. 

 

“Is there really no way we can win this fight?” Corcell inquires, almost pleading. 

 

“We definitely need allies. You are hurt, and I am as useless as a fork in a bowl of soup. If Liyue won’t help, we’re kinda … yeah.” Feng sighs. 

 

He once again explores his System’s research option in an attempt to find anything that can help. The research section seems to be packed full of items, but all are in horrifically low resolution. 

 

System: “Resolution set to 36p”

 

Feng: “Don’t you mean 360p?”

 

System: “Did I stutter?”

 

The system doesn’t actually talk, but that exchange may just be the case, since everything Feng sees in his System is blurry. He tries to extract just a random anything from the research section, and flames immediately erupt. 

 

Corcell is taken aback. 

 

Feng is on his knees. Even though the fire burned for only a single second, the excruciating pain still brought him down to Earth. He lets out numbers of heavy breaths while Corcell carefully helps him back up. 

 

“That was?”

 

“Ow ow ow. I was trying to access my power. But it appears that something has stopped me from doing so. If I attempt to use this particular section of my power, I’ll be severely incinerated.” Feng explains in-between heavy breaths. “Quite a shame. Most of the powerful stuff is locked behind the flames.”

 

“So back in the cave, that scream I heard…” Corcell flashes back. 

 

“Oh yeah, I was pretty loud back then.”

 

Corcell’s gaze towards Feng softens. Alternative thoughts begin formulating in her mind. She no longer wishes for Feng’s company back to Cloud City. She does not in the slightest despise Feng’s apparent weakness. Instead, she wishes not to subject this man to any further danger. 

 

“Feng, regarding my City. I’ll speak to Hagentus. Since Morax has already permitted your stay, why not take some rest?”

 

Feng falls to silence. He can tell that Corcell wants him to stay out of everything. Whether it is out of disdain or out of mercy, Corcell has decided not to drag himself into something he’s too powerless to handle. 

 

“A moment please.” Feng says, jogging a bit away from Corcell. 

 

He takes another deep, shaky breath, and he stares back at his system. In the research section, Feng concentrates on healing potions. 

 

Lesser.

.

Normal.

.

.

Greater.

.

.

.

Super. 

 

He sets his eyes on the biggest potion there is and reaches out. 

 

Flames once again emerge throughout his body. The hot air drives nearby air into strong winds that rush toward himself. The grass beneath Feng is quickly incinerated in a spiral pattern. 

 

His teeth are clenched hard. 

 

His knees are bent down. 

 

Steam of sweat periodically rises into the sky. 

 

Corcell isn’t sure what Feng is exactly doing, but she wants him to stop. She can see the contorted expression of Feng’s, and it is strangling her heart. 

 

Feng begins to violently tremble. He has no idea how back then he was able to produce his potion. The pain is excruciating. He screams to the point where he can no longer feel his own throat. But nevertheless, there it is: Super Healing Potion.

 

It took more hearts to produce than it can heal. 

 

Feng doesn’t even have the strength left to speak. He simply hands the bottle over to Corcell. The Cloud Archon is more concerned about Feng, but after his insistence, she takes the potion. 

 

Corcell isn't sure how the potion would work, so she mimics Feng and crushes the bottle in her palm. Immediately she feels a stream of warmth radiating from her hand to all over her body. 

 

She can feel the warmth circulate to her broken wings, and the wounds begin to close up at a noticeable pace. It isn’t an instant fix as it was in Feng’s case.

 

To that, Feng himself doesn’t have an explanation either. Perhaps Terrarian’s potions aren’t for Archons. 

 

By the minutes, Corcell can sense her power returning, slowly, but surely. She is amazed. Never has she felt such powerful vitality within herself. 

 

Feng on the other hand, is exhausted. 

 

“I’m afraid that this might be all I can offer.” Feng explains. “Oh, but, you might want to take a look at these.”

 

-------

 

Back at Mt. Aocang, Morax is staring at a pile of rock. 

 

“Fascinating.” he says to himself. 

 

Just a while ago, Feng left, forgetting to remove the levitating block of stone he had placed beforehand. 

 

As Mt. Aocang is where the Adeptus reside, Morax figured that he’d not leave blockages behind. However, just as he summons his power to remove the stone block, he is shocked to find that he can not. 

 

The Archon, who originated as a Geo elemental being, capable of commanding the power of rock, is currently unable to affect a block of stone in front of him. 

 

He can sense it. His power has been activated, yet they are nullified upon being applied to the floating block. He extends his hand over the block and pushes. Under the enormous pressure of his incomprehensible strength, the stone quickly shatters, falling to the ground as a pile of shards. 

 

Morax understands what is happening, though he has a hard time believing. The only explanation for this phenomenon is that the block placed by Feng was done via a power that’s fundamentally on a higher level than the Geo Archon’s control over the Geo element. 

 

“Feng, Terrarian, the Terra Archon. Whether or not you are the one whom the Dryads have asked me to befriend, I respect your willingness to help others, even during the rage of war.” Morax utters while retrieving the Treasure Bag he obtained from the Lunar Monster. He recalls how when that Titan told him about the Terra Archon, how that voice seemed to have transcended across the entire land and into Archons’ mind. “But if you are indeed the Terra Archon, then I sure feel sorry for you, because in that case, Teyvat may very well be your cruellest destination.”

 

When Morax faced the Moon Lord, the Archon could tell that every word that monster had spoken manifested directly inside the listener’s mind. That voice also travelled far and wide; Morax is certain that nearly all Archons in Teyvat must have heard it. 

 

Would they ignore the Terra Archon? Would they send out invitations to join forces? Or, would any want to eliminate this unknown force to secure their own survival during the Archon War? 

 

And if Morax is to allow the Terra Archon to reside within Liyue, wouldn’t he bring forth disaster to the nation? 

 

That thought remained for only a moment; Morax immediately dismissed it. After all, if Feng really is the Terra Archon, he’d take on the duty to protect him just as he would the Nation of Liyue because gratitude is a foundational Liyue virtue, and the God of Contracts has promised the Dryads. 

 

Morax too leaves Mt. Aocang, the bag is still in his hand.

 

At this moment, Feng has taken out the red-and-dark blocks, as well as that black black diamond-shaped object that he had obtained from Celestia when he ended up there last time. 

 

Originally, Feng wanted to ask Corcell if those items from Celestia could help her in any way. Feng honestly has no idea what any of them can be used for. 

 

Both Corcell’s and Morax’s eyes widened upon seeing what Feng is holding in his hands. 

 

Since Feng is facing Mt. Aocang’s exit, and he and Corcell have not walked too far away, he sees Morax. Feng also widens his eyes when he too sees what Morax has in his hand: a Moon Lord Treasure Bag. 

 

As such, the three all speak at the same time: “How come you have that?”

 

Morax approaches the two, but none ends up conversing with each other. The three all sense a freezing presence appearing.

 

“Found them.” the Cryo Yaksha announces. 

 

Morax’s expression darkens. Not because of the ominousness of the Anemo Yaksha. Not because of the menace of the Electric Yaksha. But rather the smugness of the Cryo Yaksha. In his hand, the Yaksha has a tight grip on Cloud Retainer’s neck. The Adeptus is currently in her human form, yet appears utterly miserable. 

 

The cold sharp claws of the yaksha partly dig into Cloud Retainer’s flesh, and the wounds are frozen shut, ensuring that she can not escape. 

 

“Our master sends his regards,” The Cryo Yaksha continues. “How is everyone doing?”

 

Hey kids, please inform your grandparents that the Web Novel they used to read when they were young has finally updated another chapter.

Jokes aside, things are indeed slowing down recently, even by my usual work speed. School and exams are one reason, but feeling burned out from both Genshin and Terraria is also affecting my motivation for this story. For Genshin, I feel that the game isn't as fun as before, while for Terraria, I have had my time with that game after all those hours of playing.

All I can promise is that I intend to finish this book. It may take a very long time though, as when I first started this book, there were so many things I wanted to write. I still do.

3