Ch.6: Brother-Sister Team Up
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What do you mean ‘he’s somewhere in the woods’?” Athena asked.

Apollo sat in a chair. His students sat around him on the floor. All taking notes from the book Apollo read.

Now, their attention was divided. Some took a knee before the goddess of wisdom. Others who wore their devotion to education with his symbol stayed still.

Disinterested, “I mean, he ran off on his own. So he can make it back on his own.”

“You realize mortals can’t see in the dark?”

Athena stood just outside the circle of students. Arms crossed and cheek puffed. Her foot tapping was seen by a few. It was heard by all.

Apollo ignored his sister’s tick.

“You’re getting worried about some ignorant imp that can outrun a horse?”

Some of the students didn’t quite know how to take that. The new assistant Hermes was a possibly lost child. But Lord Apollo wasn’t worried. So they tried not to be.

Something Athena noticed.

“You’d let one of your students wander in the dark? Knowing there’s danger?”

Apollo chuckled, “He’s not a mortal student sitting safely next to me. He’s a Demi-god. If you want to assist him in wandering in the dark, be my guest.”

Those sitting closest to him blushed. He smiled as Athena’s plan failed. Not so much as she hit plan b.

“Fine,” Athena turned to leave. “I’ll just let Father know that you,”

Apollo leaped over the young adults. He landed right next to Athena. Suddenly eager to walk with her.

“That I went with you to go look for him!”

The students were impressed by Apollo’s willingness to help his sister. Two gods about to go out of their way to help look for a child. One even called Apollo, ‘so noble’ for his efforts.

Something Apollo loved. Athena couldn’t roll her eyes hard enough.

As they exited the fully lit town and entered the dark woods, Apollo became a torch. Illuminating their path with an orange glow across his body. Also announcing their presence to any predators.

“You can’t be this insecure,” Athena said. She didn’t wait for Apollo to respond. “You’re still upset over his prank?”

“If I stole your pet owl and then called it a joke, would you laugh?”

“I hear what you're saying. Counterpoints: He’s a child. He brought them all back. And I’ve never seen your temple so clean before.”

Apollo dramatically waved his hands. Sarcasm dripped off of every word.

“Congratulations! You cleaned up the mess you created! That’s deserving of godhood!”

Athena squinted at the road ahead. Making out enough to see the trees and broken branches on the ground. Some were over footprints. Nowhere near adult sized.

“I agree.” She expressed, “He’s undisciplined. From what our father told me, his respect seems selective.”

Apollo was following Athena now. Just lighting her way as she tracked the steps.

“Don’t get me started. He’s one of the most annoying creatures I’ve ever dealt with.”

“Does that include the time with the giant python?” Athena asked.

Boastful, “I had immense fun killing that thing. So yes.”

A rustle in the bushes stopped their conversation. At the base was a snake tail. Too large to write off.

Apollo snapped his fingers and his bow appeared in a flash of light. A quiver did the same; strapped to his hip. Using his burning hair, he lit an arrow and readied to attack.

Athena pantomimed putting her war helmet on. Out of thin air, it appeared on her head. Along with platinum armor over her torso, legs, and arms.

As they approached the snake's tail, it didn’t move further away. It swayed a little. Like it was baiting them.

Athena checked the side of the bush. A glance saw a larger silhouette behind a tree. A slithering body that was only getting bigger the more she followed it. Its massive length completely surrounded the two.

Athena returned to facing the bush. What did she see? In the darkness, just outside the light’s reach, a pair of glowing golden eyes and a hiss.

It struck! The giant snake lunged at Apollo’s feet! A flaming arrow to the head was a reward for its attempt.

To no avail. The arrow’s heat bothered the beast more than anything. Not even puncturing the scales.

The snake’s head alone was the size of Athena’s torso. As its mouth stretched open to swallow the goddess, its fangs dripped with venom. The shrill cry tore into Apollo & Athena’s ears.

But it wasn’t enough. Athena’s strength halted the snake. Her hands gripped the very top fangs that were going to impale her. But the venom burned into her palms and fingers.

“Now!” Athena called.

Apollo let an arrow fly into the monster’s mouth. Instead of going through and out, it was stuck in its throat. That was enough to send the message.

The beast cried out in pain. It slithered off. Defeated, and desperate to get the arrow out.

Athena looked at her hands. The disgusting green liquid was foaming up over her skin. Slowly eating at the goddess.

Apollo quickly worked to clean her hands. He saw no foam. Athena’s hands were shaking. She was genuinely in pain. But she was still grinding her teeth after the green spots were washed away with a canteen.

“Athena,” Apollo explained, “It’s an illusion. Slow your heart rate.”

Speaking through her teeth, “This feels pretty real!”

“That’s your brain being tricked by a toxin. Snake venom works when it’s in your bloodstream. You weren’t bit and you’re a goddess.” He held her shaking hands in his, “Do you think I’d try to trick you? Especially now?”

Athena didn’t get along with some of her siblings. More so growing up than now. Apollo had many habits she had little patience for.

But there were two things she admired about her little brother: He was more knowledgeable than her; He wasn’t a liar.

Athena deeply inhaled. Held it in for a few seconds. Then exhaled. As she repeated the exercise, the ‘foam’ disappeared.

No wounds. No pain. Just her annoying sibling.

“Told ya,” he said smugly.

Just as smug, “I will kick your ass from here to Egypt.”

This family moment was brought to a halt by another family member. A distant announcement. One that sounded jovial but scared the two to nonexistent death.

“Woah! A giant snake! Awesome! Wanna hear me play the lyre?”

Apollo & Athena ran toward Hermes’ voice. This time, they intended on killing that snake.

Armor & bow ready. The gods burst past the trees. Running as fast as they could in their mortal forms. Finally leaping over the bushes separating them from Hermes.

Their concern turned to confusion. Hermes was in no danger. Far from it. He was using the giant snake’s side as a place to rest.

Apollo had a dozen questions. Where did he get the tortoise shell lyre? How was he able to play an angry serpent to sleep in seconds? Why did he take the arrow out of the snake’s mouth? Where were his shoes?

Athena had similar thoughts. But she knew which one to ask.

“Hermes,” she whispered. “Are you ok?”

Hermes put a finger on his lips. The brief second without music caused the serpent to stir. It went back to sleep when Hermes went back to playing.

Athena’s first instinct was to kill the beast. It was sleeping and she wouldn’t miss it. Securing safety for Hermes.

Apollo sat on a nearby log. Just as content to listen to the strings as the snake. He didn’t care how long it took. The beautiful tune had his full attention.

He sat until Hermes stood up. Still playing as he moved away. Soft steps and a soft melody into the night.

Clear of the snake, the three headed back to the temple. Hermes still played expertly as they walked. Neither god minded the tunes.

In fact, Apollo loved every second of it.

End

0