Ch.7: Corrupter vs Right-Hand-Man
12 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Regardless of your intentions, while I do commend them, you disobeyed Lord Apollo’s instruction. By extension, you disobeyed my instruction,” Hera explained.

The meeting hall was occupied by Zeus, Hera, Athena, and Hermes. The Olympians taking their seats. Hermes standing at the end of the table. Like a suspect before a judge.

Hera’s voice stung like a cut, “Insubordination will not be tolerated. Do you understand me, young man?”

Hermes gulped, “I don’t know what ‘insubordination’ means, ma’am. Queen Hera.”

Zeus saw how Hermes' nerves were getting to him. The struggle to keep eye contact. Standing so stiff, it looked like an invisible rope had him. Curling his toes under the table thinking Zeus couldn’t see.

“It means ‘disobeying orders’,” Zeus calmly answered.

Hera continued, “I wonder if we should even let you stay here. What do you think, Lady Athena?”

Athena began, “I think his mistake isn’t worth kicking him out. He thought the medicine was for a dying family. He succeeded in delivering it faster than a chariot racer. Personally, if he was under my employ, I’d make him a messenger boy.”

Hermes slowly started to smile. The praise. The possible job offer. Someone defending him. Of course, he was delighted to hear this.

“After a slap on the wrist,” Athena concluded.

The smile vanished.

“Very well,” Zeus stated. “Hermes, please leave the room for a moment. We need to determine your ‘wrist slap’. Feel free to explore Mt. Olympus until we summon you.”

Hera cleared her throat, “Super speed.”

“But don’t go too far now.” Zeus clarified.

The doors flew open. For the first time, Hermes got to see Eris in her goddess form. Just as tall as Zeus, with Hera & Apollo’s lean muscle build. Her galaxy hair was the eye-catcher.

Everyone else couldn’t be bothered saying hello. Or even looking directly at her. Athena specifically groaned when her sister started talking.

“Hello, all!” Eris said. She sounded stuffed. Like she hadn’t finished swallowing a meal.

“I have some unfortunate news. I seemed to have misplaced,” she spotted Hermes at the table end. “Oh! I did hear a little rumor that a little Demi-god was discovered. Is this him?”

Hermes was now right in front of Eris at the entrance. More accurately, at her hip. He could see her not opening her mouth all the way to talk. Unlike the Gods, he knew why.

“Get lost in the ocean, Eris,” Athena said.

Hermes put on a facade, “Goddess Of Chaos! Lady Eris?! Wow! It’s an honor to meet you!”

Eris whispered, “Dial it back a little, kid.” Then she spoke as clearly as she could while hiding her injury. “Yes, it is me! Goddess Eris. Mistress of Discord. And who might you be, young man?”

“None of your business,” Athena answered.

“Sister, we have a guest.” Eris teased, “Let’s not be rude.”

Hera pinched the bridge of her nose. She sharply inhaled. Trying to keep her disappointment in check.

“Lady Eris,” Hera spoke up, “Please leave. This meeting doesn’t concern you.”

Coyly, “I just thought you should know I dropped one of my chaos apples, and a snake bit it. So there might be a giant snake in the Arcadia region.”

Hera saw red. Athena dragged a hand over her face. Zeus crossed his arms.

Hera shouted, “That was you!” But then she scoffed, “Of course it was you. It’s always you!”

Arguing, “If you had a better messaging system, I could’ve told you earlier. Seriously, how long does it take to get all the Olympians back to Olympus for a meeting?”

“How the Olympians conduct our meetings is none of your concern!” Zeus’ voice put fear back in Hermes’ spine. Eris did wince at her father’s scolding.

“You should have reported this yesterday before the mortals interacted with the snake! Now some are injured and it caused this meeting!”

“Right. And I could have told you sooner, if,” Eris rested her hand on Hermes’ head. “You had an available messenger.”

Zeus thought of Athena’s statement prior. Hera thought of the empty Olympian position. Athena thought that this was all very conveniently timed.

“I think that’s a great idea,” Hermes played along. “Lady Athena, weren't you just saying I should be a messenger?”

“Yes, but,”

Eris cut her sister off, “Well then! I think a test is in order. How about,”

Athena took her time back, “You leave before I hurt you? Excellent idea.”

Eris laughed at the threat. Her boisterous cackle was like nails on stone for Athena. Hera’s annoyance strung from how loud and undignified Eris was. Zeus wondered who else in the family laughed like her.

“You couldn’t hurt me if you tried,” Eris mocked.

Athena dawned her armor and helmet, “Let’s test that theory.”

Hermes didn’t know how strong Eris was. He had heard tales of Athena’s strength. Recently, her strength against a giant snake.

Zeus got as far as, “Hermes, go to Apo—” before Hermes sprinted off.

Eris confidently stood still. Not flinching or saying a word. All while Athena stepped up to her. A platinum spear coming out of thin air.

Hera wasn’t interested in this at all. She stood up before Zeus could give any orders. The queen of the gods snapped her fingers.

Athena & Eris’ feet left the ground. Both floated, unable to escape the purple bubbles they were now trapped in. The sisters groaned in unison.

“I will let you down when Zeus & I decide on Hermes’ position,” Hera informed them.

“I don’t think they can hear you,” Zeus observed.

Eris sat back waiting to be let free. Athena tried looking around. Checking every inch for a possible weak point.

“Good,” Hera said, “I shouldn’t have to put two grown women on time out.”

“There are many things we shouldn’t have to do.”

Zeus scratched at his beard. He looked at Hephaestus’ empty seat. Then he thought of the one thing his daughters agreed on.

“We do need another messenger between Olympus & Earth. Hermes seems to need better discipline.”

“I say we pair him with a god. Someone to keep an eye on and report his progress.” Hera suggested, “Our ‘champions’ are lacking in standards lately.”

Athena had gone to flipping Eris off. Eris was making faces like a child.

“Stick him Eris?” Zeus asked. “She could use responsibility.”

“She’s too unhinged.” Hera explained, “She’s more likely to corrupt Hermes. What about Aphrodite? She seems to be good with children.”

“She’s already teaching Eros. No need to overload her.” Zeus continued to scratch, “Hephaestus needs to open up more. He could benefit from a speedy assistant.”

Simply, “No.”

“Well, how about you?” Zeus asked, trying to make her laugh. “I imagine Iris could use a friend, and he could use a strong motherly role model.”

Sternly, “He’s not my son.”

The doors burst open! War God Ares came in, ready to subdue anyone who dared hurt his family! Like a boar, he didn’t look at where he was charging and ran right past Eris & Athena. Screaming the whole time.

Hera snapped in time and Ares was put in a third bubble. His momentum kept him rolling across the table. Resting right before his parents.

“What in my name are you doing?” Hera asked.

Hermes ran in next to Zeus, “Apollo wasn’t home. So I got Lord Ares. He heard me say, ‘Lady Athena is about to fight’, and ran here.”

Hera was spooked by the boy’s sudden appearance. Zeus patted Hermes' back.

“Good job, son.”

Zeus knew once Ares was in a rage, he couldn’t be talked down. In no way was the broken door Hermes' fault.

“Why didn’t Lord Apollo come again?” Hera asked. “He's supposed to be here regardless.”

“Because he wasn’t home.” Hermes recounted, “I knocked on his door. Broke in through the window. Went into every room. He’s got a lot of illustrations of women in his bedroom. Anyway, Ares saw me. So I just told him.”

The monarchs looked to Ares. The war god, now calm, nodded in confirmation.

Hera’s eyes brightened as she stared off. No portals or visuals came in. Just a long sigh.

“He’s flirting with…Oh, come now Lord Apollo! You can do better than her!”

Zeus didn’t need anything more. He’d seen enough. He’d heard enough.

Hermes needed to get suited for his new role. Supervised by big brother.

End

0