Ch.13: The un-favorite gets a warning
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hera could count on one hand the number of Gods she liked. None of which were her children. Her husband was also low on the list.

But as low as Zeus, Hephaestus, & Ares were, her daughter was even lower. At least the men knew to leave her alone.

Eris had covered the entire living room with parchment. One single parchment that twisted and turned across the floor and furniture. As thick as an anaconda.

The staff had to step over it. Apologizing to Hera for the wait. She forgave them.

“In conclusion, that is why I should be the next Olympian.”

Eris snapped her fingers and the parchment rolled itself back up. Tripping up a cook as it did. Hera saved him with a wave.

Eris sat on the table, “So, when do I start?”

Hera kept eating her breakfast. No eye contact. No words. All of Eris’ badgering was useless.

The staff took Hera’s plate. Hera took her cup to go. Eris took off after her mother.

“You realize I’m going to keep this up until you say ‘yes’. Right?”

Hera kept forward, “You have your mother’s beauty and your father’s stupidity. I’m aware.”

“Actually, point number 246: I have Zeus’ stupendous way with mortals.”

Hera walked herself out. All the way upstairs. Eris’ words went in one ear and out the other.

“You don’t plan on keeping the seat open until that boy is a man. Do you?”

Again, Hera’s eyes were on the hall. Lips shut.

Eris trailed behind her, “Mother, you’re being awfully petty. Did Father knock up another mortal?”

One staff member nearby reacted to what he overheard. By quickly walking the other way. He missed Hera’s glare. And Eris’ smirk.

Inside the west wing, Hera made her seat. Eris entered her mother’s temporary quarters. Despite Hera slamming the door on her.

“Pretending I don’t exist?” Eris sat on the table, “Has that ever worked? What’s next? Gonna replace me with a pet harpy?”

“I know it was you,” Hera said.

Happily, “To be the next Olympian? I knew you’d come around. Now all we need to do is convince Father. And-”

Hera sharply interrupted, “I had Iris investigate a particular cave in the Arcadia region.”

She placed Apollo’s report on the table. Along with a golden apple.

Hera continued, “Between her findings, Lord Apollo’s detailed observations, and your sudden interest in another person, I think it’s time we drop this game.”

There wasn’t a sound from her daughter. Just indistinct noise from outside. It was the longest Hera had ever heard Eris be silent.

What Eris had to say didn’t surprise her.

“I didn’t know you could read.”

Hera didn’t play along, “I don’t know what you want with that boy. I don’t even care how you found out about him.”

“Your husband’s a loud drunk,” Eris grabbed the apple. Loudly crunching into it. Smacking her lips.

Again, Hera didn’t bite, “I’m forbidding you from interacting with the boy. When he’s here on Olympus, do not speak to him. Do not go to his room. Do not,”

Eris rose from the table. Still chewing with her mouth open. Above Hera’s head.

“Oh! Darn! I’d love to follow that order, my Queen. But Hermes, which is the boy’s name, by the way, is already calling me ‘big sis’. So I don’t want to disappoint. It wouldn’t be ladylike of me.”

An apple peel fell out and landed on Hera’s lap. It was as if Eris’ confidence had splattered on the dress.

Like the coward she was, “So, I’ll be going now.”

Hera waved a finger. Binds appeared around Eris. One for each wrist and ankle. The thickest was around her neck.

Eris was flung to the wall. All her strength couldn’t get her free. Nowhere to look but into her mother’s approaching violent violet eyes.

“Give me a reason not to smite you.” Hera hissed.

Struggling under the grip, “Because I'm your daughter.”

“And yet you act like this? Talk to me like this? Go behind my back. Keep secrets from me?”

The binds got tighter. If they weren’t squeezing the life out of her, Eris might’ve turned into a snake to slip out. When she tried, the binds glowed and she stayed still.

Hera got in close. She wanted her next words to be loud and clear. No wiggle room. No misunderstandings.

“Do as I say. Do not go near Hermes. Ever! And don’t ever touch one of my dresses again. Is that clear?”

Eris’ chin gingerly touched the rim. Hera wanted an apology. But a choked-out whimper would have to do.

The queen showed mercy. She dropped the rings and let Eris flop to the floor. Disgusted at the sight of a goddess gag and struggling to draw breath.

“Now get out. And learn to chew with your mouth closed.”

Eris wished she could teleport out of the room. But no. The ring’s effects were still hindering her.

The last thing Hera saw was Eris massaging the red mark on her neck. And a proverbial tail between her legs.

Out of the wing, Eris stopped. She had an irritated grunt. Then she kept walking.

“Iris,” Hera called. “You may enter.”

Iris held a box full of flowers. A bag with parchment. And a battle ax bigger than her back, on her back.

“Where have you been all day?”

“Apologies my Queen. King Zeus had me aid him in some tasks.” Iris put down the flowers, “These are from King Zeus.”

Hera took a nearby candle. Set the box of roses on fire. And watched the petals burn.

“Anything else?”

Iris was a good three meters from her mentor.

“Uh,” Iris pulled out some papers, “King Zeus wants all Olympians here for Hermes’ presentation. I managed to deliver the invitations to Lord Hephestus, Lady Artemis, and Lady Aphrodite.”

“I assume that the ax is another bribe from Artemis?”

Iris set it on the table. Hephaestus’ seal of an anvil emoting smoke like a volcano shined on the handle. A tag was also present.

‘Dear Hera,
Tell your assistant to never set foot on my island again.
Hate, Hephaestus’

“All I need is a spear, a sword & a shield to complete the set,” Iris joked.

Hera didn’t laugh. She added the note to the fire. The burning didn’t make her any happier.

Iris moved on, “That leaves Lord Ares, Lady Athena, & Lord Poseidon. I can try Ladies Demeter & Persephone if you wish.”

“By all means.” Hera went for her cup. But she got droplets.

“I can get you another drink before I head back out,” Iris offered.

Handing it off, “I’d appreciate that.”

“Anything else, Queen Hera?”

Hera sighed as she brushed her hair back. Pushing every strand away from her face. Even the stroke of her hand was elegant.

“Do yourself a favor and never have children. Or get married,” said the Goddess of childbirth and marriage.

Iris tried another joke, “I can join Lady Athena’s temple if you really mean that.”

Hera turned to Iris. A raised eyebrow was her answer. Her shadow cast over Iris like an omen.

“I’ll go get your tea.”

Iris zipped out of the room. The back wind tossed burned petals. Hera’s hair blew forward with them.

As much as she enjoyed her privacy, Hera hoped Iris would come back soon.

End

0