Mourning In Gotham City
78 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'll do what I can" Said Shazam

I knew that the only way for Shazam to heal others or himself is to yell 'SHAZAM' and call down lightning to fully restore whoever he wants. I also knew that this was a big favor to ask and its probably the only time I could play this card.

Captain Marvel covered her eyes, said the magic word, and lightning came down and covered Sammy.

I had looked away to give him privacy and room. The next moment when I looked back, she looked like the girl from the orphanage I knew previously. She had been healed almost instantly. I felt extremely relieved upon seeing her back to normal. Her legs were even fixed. "Thanks Captain Marvel, If you ever need anything, I'll owe you one." I stuck out my hand to shake his.

Captain Marvel handed Sammy back to me who was asleep, but fully healed. "It's no big deal, I'm happy to help." He said as he shook my hand.

I thanked him a few more times before flying back to Gotham with Sammy in my arms. I rushed back to the Orphanage as fast as I could as I worried about the other Orphans and the Nun Jude.

On my way back I saw the sky light up as the sun was being unblocked due to Batman and John the Martians efforts. Shortly after that as I flew over Metropolis on my way to Gotham, I heard a number of explosions and saw that the aliens space ships near me were being blasted open by GL Stewart as he was trying to expose the inside to the outside light. Soon enough the aliens would all be taken care of. It should all be over soon.

My only worry now was to make sure the kids at the orphanage were safe. Once I was back at the orphanage I dropped off Sammy who was now awake and as talkative as ever and then looked around for the rest of the orphanages residents.

I couldn't find them and decided to get out of costume and then go back to the orphanage to comfort Sammy. By now my  burnt skin had healed quite a lot. I looked just like all the other war torn citizens, so I didn't seem out of place with my injuries.

Upon arrival Sammy seemed happy to see me. "Mr. Aeric, a hero saved me and then took me to another hero to heal me! I even FLEW through the sky!"

I smiled as I looked at Sammy fondly. She was her usual self, talkative and full of energy. "That sounds amazing Sammy, but where are all the others from the orphanage? Do you know where they went?"

Sammy thought for a second before replying "When the building collapsed I couldn't hear anybody so I don't know, but I do remember Ms. Jude talking about a nearby temporary shelter".

I grabbed her tiny hand after she replied. "Sammy, let's go look for the shelter and meet up with everybody. It seems the Heroes have taken care of the bad guys."

Sammy and I looked around the area and asked around to the people we encountered and eventually we were guided to the temporary shelter that most survivors had gone to.

Upon arrival I noted the temporary shelter was just Gotham City University Football Stadium. The bleachers that surrounded the field protected the people to some extent while there was no celling  to fall down on them.  It wasn't as good as an underground shelter, but I understood that this was the best people could find in Gotham in the heat of the moment.

I looked around the nearly thousands of people for the group of orphanage kids I was trying to find. Everyone seemed to have sad faces. Many people have lost someone, some were injured, and many had no hope for the future not knowing yet that the war against the invaders was already won. Everybody looked hungry, exhausted, and hopeless.

After searching for a long time, we finally found them. All the people of the orphanage were safe. Everyone ran up to hug Sammy. They had lost her and thought she had died. They didn't know she had gotten buried under the rubble.

"Aeric, thank you so much for bringing little Sammy back to us, how did you find her?" Jude asked.

I gave Sammy a pat on the head as I replied. "I walked to the orphanage to make sure everyone was okay and was shocked to just find her there alone. She said a couple of heroes saved her before I had arrived and that you guys went here, so we went to find you."

Jude gave me a hug. "I'm just glad you both are alright. Many of the people here were also saved by Heroes in the early part of the invasion. Batgirl and Robin did the most work."

I nodded and then looked at the rest of the orphans. Just like the surrounding people they looked like they had been through hell and back.

After thinking a bit, I walked to an exit nobody was near and then bought an instrument and a song from the system. I then walked to the middle of the field and set up my mic and hooked it up to the stadium speaker system. "Hello, I have heard the aliens have been taken care of by the heroes and there is no more need to worry, My name is Prince Aeric and I am a local indie artist. Id like to sing you a song and try to bring up the mood if you don't mind".

The people in the stadium all cheered and looked a bit more happy hearing the news about the heroes defeating the aliens. Some that had lost so much from the invasion still looked sad regardless of the good news. Many of the temporary stadium residents made there way to the surrounding bleachers and sat down. It seems that most were willing to hear my music. The ones that hadn't sat down at the bleachers were either still standing, sitting, and even laying on the field.

I set up the electronic piano on it's stand and then hooked it up to the stadium speaker system that my mic was already connected to. "This song is about Gotham  City, It's unique beauty, it's ugliness, it's hero's, it's people, and it's future potential." After a pause, I began to sing.

🎶♪🎵I'm looking over the skyline of the city

How loud quiet nights in the mist of crime

How next door to happiness lives sorrow

And signals of solution in the sky

A city of justice

A city of love

A city of peace

For every one of us

We all need it

Can't live without it

A Gotham City

Oh, yeah🎶♪🎵

I looked around to see other people from outside the stadium make their way in that were drawn in by the music. Some of the Hero's including Batgirl and Robin amongst them. Due to most of Gothams people taking refuge in the stadium, they came here to administer first aid and help out however they could.  After my quick glance around I continued my song.

🎶♪🎵How sleeping awake because of fear, oh yeah

How children are drowning in their tears

How we need a place where we can go

A land where every one will have a hero, even me

A city of justice, yeah

A city of love

A city of peace

For every one of us

'Cause we all need it, yeah

Can't live without it

A Gotham City

Yeah yeah🎶♪🎵

At this time I looked around to see the suppressed emotions of many come out as they hugged their nearby loved ones, mourned their dead, and praised the city's heroes. Many of them had been in constant fear on the run from the aliens without time to express these emotions fully. Music had it's way to move the soul. I continued the song.

🎶♪🎵Yet in the middle of stormy weather

We won't stumble

And we won't fall

I know a place that offers shelter

A city of justice, yeah

A city of love

A city of peace

For every one of us

'Cause we all need it, yeah

Can't live without it

A Gotham City

Yeah yeah🎶♪🎵

At this point the people in the stadium had gotten used to the chorus and had began to sing it on their own. Seeing the mood had gotten better around me I decided I did what I had set out to do and packed up my things.

For the first time in a while I heard a notification from the system.

-===============================================-

New Task Available

MEET WITH THE RECORD LABEL THAT HAD CONTACTED YOU.

Sign a contract. Reward: A random high tier gift and 2500 coins.

Don't sign a contract. Reward: Level up current system.

Deadline 24hrs.

-===============================================-

Looking at the new system task I quickly dismissed it for now. I still had a few other things to do before contacting  the Label that had contacted me, but I was curious about the rewards. It didn't go into detail of what either reward actually meant.

4