Chapter 3 One Village Saved
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

I heard the door slam open just as I was about to enjoy my breakfast and turn my head to see Jebediah.

Jebediah, "Chief Jeremiah come quick there's an old man who looks like a wizard straight outta fae tales! He coming from the Wildwood!"

Village Chief Jeremiah, "The fool you talkin bout Jebediah!"

Jebediah, "Jus come here quick!"

Jebediah then left through the door.

Village Chief Jeremiah, "For sun's sake, I'm to ol fo dis shite. You seriously expect me to go anywhere quick at my age, boy!"

I slowly stand up from my seat and hobble toward the door as my bones creak and pop. By the time I make it to the gate, I see a fellow old man with a mighty impressive beard of white. His hood covers most of his face, a large crow is perched on his shoulder and he holds a black staff. He's already entered the village and Ernest is speaking with him while throwing nervous glances at me. Jebediah is jogging toward them.

Village Chief Jeremiah, "Well hello stranger, how might we be of help?"

The long bearded man then opens his mouth to say something, before hesitating and closing his mouth. A look of contemplation crosses his face, before he replies, "Let's start with food."

With momentary confusion, I answer, "Food it is, if you follow me I still have a pot of hot gruel at home. I didn't get your name by the way."

Old Long Bearded Man, "John."

 

....................................................................................................................................................................

 

We sat at my table with empty bowls and cups of ale, talking.

John, "So you've been having issues with Recluse Pox and the local wolf problem is keeping you from going to the other villages to find a healer?"

Village Chief Jeremiah, "Ye. Can ye help us?"

John replied, "I should be able to whip something up."

We made our way to one of the houses of the sick. After explaining to Meridith why we were there she took us her husband three children who ill with recluse pox. John looked the over and seemed to be thinking before finally opening his palm.

John said, "Medical Flame."

A flame that was red in the center and white at the edges appeared in his flame. He then dropped it on llittle Tom before it spread all over his body. Meridith made for her son Tom, but I held her back. As stared in shock I watched little Tom's ulcers shrink and disappear. His skin grew rosy and his cheeks filled out. As the flames died down and disappeared he woke up all the better. I let go of Meridith as she checked over her son.

Little Tom, "Mom? What happened, I feel amazing!"

Before Meridith could speak I butted in, "Wizard John healed you!"

Meridith looked at me then back at her son, smiled, and said, "That's right Tom. You're cured. My baby boy."

John then moved on to the other members of the family and healed them. Eventually, we made it out of the house and he cured everyone else in the village. He then insisted on using his medical flame on everyone who wasn't even sick just in case he said. When that was done I saw him come to the edge of the village facing the prairie and tapped his staff on the ground. From that tap vines with orange flowers similar to tulips spread around the village and into the surrounding forest and prairie.

John, "That should do it. Make sure to let the villagers know these vines give off a scent that repels wolves and all other canines."

With tears budding in my eyes, I spoke, "Thank Wizard John..."

I went ahead and fetched a smoked ham I had saved in the pantry then a pouch of ten silver. Waddling back as fast as possible I handed them to John. He tried to refuse but I insisted he at least take the ham, and so he did. I watched with a smile on my face as the great wizard John walked off into the horizon.

Village Chief Jeremiah, "May the Sun Bless You, John."

 

0