20 – The King
929 6 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the figures crept closer and closer, I was able to finally get a good look at them, recognizing Judy, Ailwin, and the unmistakable 'King' who was wearing his white tuxedo and boots, not to mention their favorite hairstyle they chose so that they can better mimic Elvis Presley. That's who the Kings were. Impersonators seeking to become like the King, Elvis Presley himself. So, they all wore suits, and dress shoes, and featured that famous Haircut, not to mention his notable accent.

If anything, I found the Kings to be one of the most memorable factions of Fallout New Vegas, not to mention their mostly good nature and altruistic behavior towards the people of Freeside. It's why I wanted to meet them and make a deal, just as I had with the Followers in Fort Mormon. I just hoped that the King would not be hostile toward me, though if he was, I should be able to use Julie to make the King more...amicable toward me. 

Thought if I could speak to him, I have a way could get his attention. Knowledge about Elvis, or to be more accurate, what I knew about Elvis, which was bound to be more than what they had or knew.

Once they got close enough, I retreated back into the mineshaft and waited.

Two minutes later, they arrived.

Ailwin was the first to enter the mineshaft, followed by Julie, Arcade, and then finally two men I recognized almost immediately. The King and his right-hand man, Pacer and the King's pet Cyberdog, Rex.

When the two Kings noticed my Carriers, they jumped, drawing their weapons while Rex got ready to lunge, letting out a threatening growl.

Pacer pulled out an engraved M&A 9mm Pistol, while the King pulled out a .44 revolver.

"What is the meaning of this?!" The King demanded, revolver trained on one of my Carriers.

Knowing that they would not hesitate to shoot me, I waited for Ailwin or Judy to speak.

"Lower your weapons! Now!" Julie shouted, pushing the pistol Pacer was holding down.

"Please, lower your weapons. My master means you no harm," Ailwin spoke up, stepping in front of the King.

"Master?" The King asked with the accent Elvis was known for.

"Yes," Ailwin answered, making sure to stand between me and the two Kings.

"Julie?" The King asked, glancing over at Judy.

"It's alright," Julie spoke out, trying to calm the two down.

The King sighed before holstering his revolver back into his suit.

"Very well...so this...thing is what you wanted me to meet with?" The King asked Julie, his eyes not leaving my Carriers.

"Yes. They may not be human, but they have proven to be peaceful...so far," Julie answered the King, not that her answer made the King feel any better.

Feeling the need to intervene, I raised the clawed hand of one of my crouched Carriers, catching the two Kings' attention, before slowly lowering my clawed hand to draw in the dirt.

'Greetings. My name is Eden.' I wrote backward so that they could read what I said.

"And what are you...Eden?" The King asked.

'I am a...hivemind intelligence. Though if you wish for me to be specific, I am Beauveria Mordicana,' I answered.

"You are...fungi?" Julie asked, baffled.

Looking over to the doctor I nodded before writing, 'Yes. I am a fungal colony from the Pre-War world.'

"Wait, you're from before the War?" Julie asked, surprised.

'Yes. Though I have been...asleep for many years.' I answered with a partial lie. 

I then raised a clawed finger to point at the King, 'You. I remember. I know who it is you worship. I remember them.'

"What?" The King asked, surprised.

'Yes. It is clear. Tell me, how did you come to learn of Elvis Presley?' I wrote.

"Is that...is that the name of him?" The King asked, putting extra emphasis on that last word.

'Yes. I can tell you more, of what I remember, but not now. Now we need to work.' I answered before gesturing to the crates nearby.

"Yes. Yes, I am sorry. It's just that we have little of the songs and papers remaining that tell of us him. If you don't mind...can you tell us more? What was he like? Who was he? Wha-" Suddenly Julie walked over and elbowed the King in the side.

"Not now, business first, then you can ask your questions," Julie interrupted the King, knowing that we would be here for hours if I had to answer all of his questions.

The King sighed, seemingly remorseful, "Alright...what is it you wish to offer...Eden?" The King asked, seeming to have almost forgotten my name.

’I want to help those in Freeside. I know there any many who are homeless, starving, or overdosing on drugs on the streets of Freeside. I wish to work with both of you, to make Freeside safe, prosperous, and a place where people can start a family without having to worry about the horrors of the Wasteland, Raiders, or anything else,' I wrote.

"You wish for a Utopia?" Julie asked, causing me to shake my head.

'So long as there is free will, Utopias can not exist. Humans as a species always seek new experiences, sensations, and so much more. Humanity is the epitome of Chaos while Utopias stand for Order, but I do wish to get as close to a Utopia as I can, with both of your help. It is my hope that with our combined efforts, Freeside will become a new haven and world wonder.' I wrote.

"That's a mighty tall wish," Pacer commented with disdain as he stared at my Carriers with an itchy trigger finger.

'Perhaps.' I wrote, 'It may be a tall wish, but anything is possible and I have more than enough time to fulfill such a goal.'

Pushing the crates forward, I gestured for them to open them.

Once they did, revealing the large amount of mushrooms, I wrote again, 'This is what I offer. Just as I had traded medicinal fungi to Julie, I wish to trade edible mushrooms with you. It may not be the best, but it's food. In the first chest are 200 Aqua shrooms that contain water that while not completely clean, is drinkable. Inside the other chest, are 500 Mushrooms with varying tastes that are edible both raw and cooked. Julie, King, this is only a small taste of what I am capable of. As we speak, I expand my farms. I expect that within a few months, I will be supplying enough Fungi to solve any water, hunger, and medicinal needs Freeside will have,' I explained to the two Humans.

"Are you serious?" The King asked, sounding shocked yet not once dropping his accent.

Got to hand it to the Kings, they were quite the loyal cultists.

I just deadpanned at the three, which was quite easy, as that was the default expression of my Carriers.

After a few moments of awkward silence, the King spoke up, "What are you getting out of this?" 

I made a show of thinking before replying, 'Because I have seen what this world was like before Humanity destroyed it. I want to bring that back. I want to see the world return to one filled with so many beautiful colors, plants, and natural wonders instead of the dead wasteland it has become.'

22