Chapter 4 – Big Boss
34 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Wahhhhh!!!!”

There it is again.

“Ah.. Shit.. I regret it.. I really regret it!”

In the 4 hours she slept (tried to), she was woken up at least 3 times by the little guy that she almost wanted to bang her head into the wall.

Ever since he got a taste of her breast milk, this guy abandoned whatever they fed him before and started howling every hour or so, torturing her.

As a person who has never been in the vicinity of babies, taking care of one took the life out of her.

Hua Mei could already see the bleak future in front of her.

Picking up the wailing baby, she soon settled back before starting to feed him. 

***

When he first started crying, she was startled awake and started panicking because she thought there was something wrong with him.

Hua Mei immediately called Sister Bai and told her to check what’s wrong with him, almost on the verge of tears. Sister Bai was quite surprised and tried to calm the baby before she realized he was actually hungry.

“Oh, Ms. Hua, did you not think he was actually hungry?” Sister Bai curiously asked.

“Hungry?” Hua Mei was dumbfounded and couldn’t help but ask again. “I mean, didn’t I just feed him a while ago? Why would he already get hungry?”

“Hahaha! Ms. Hua, newborns have very small stomachs, so they digest very fast and often need food every 2 hours or so.”

“.......Oh” One could hear the deep dismay hidden in that singular word.

Sister Bai resisted a giggle and patiently guided her through the care one should give to a newborn in their first few months.

After listening to an almost an hour lecture in which her mind struggled to retain even half of what was said, Hua Mei’s face became so soulless that one could imagine her soul escaping through her mouth that dropped a long time ago.

She soon started to whine, “Sister Baiiiiiiii, this is torture! Why is this guy so high maintenance?”

“Ms. Hua, don’t worry! We’re here with you, we can look after this guy together!” Siste Bai dotingly compromised her.

Ever since Hua Mei gave birth, nobody came to visit her. One could imagine her dire family status and so the hospital staff vowed to take care of her better. Of course, Sister Bai was the main initiator. 

‘Hah… I’ve never looked after someone so much until this pair. It seems I got too attached to them…’

Sister Bai quietly hid her thoughts and proceeded to explain a few more things before wrapping up.

“Ok, Ms. Hua, if that’s all, I must go now.” She then slowly stood up.

Hua Mei immediately held her hand and started to whine unlike her age. “Whyyyyy, Sister Bai, Stay with me a bit longer! You are the only one I know and can talk to here!” 

“Miss, you know I’m a nurse, right?” Sister Bai smiled helplessly and proceeded to reason with this stubborn lady which was a trait she came to know recently.

“Yeah…” She sighed despondently. “Oh well, if you must go then…”

As a person who put up with her and was one of the first few people she saw after waking up, Hua Mei started to get attached to this dedicated nurse. Even though they only knew each other only recently (only 2 days ago..) for she feels like her brother, she started to grow affection.

Suddenly Hua Mei perked up and groped around the bed to grab the phone. Unlocking it, she immediately pulled up the photo of the elite guy and almost shoved the phone onto Sister Bai’s face.

“Sister Bai, can you see and tell me if this was the elite guy you saw?” Her eyes sparkled mysteriously.

Suddenly having the photo shoved so close to her face, Sister Bai’s eyes couldn’t get used to it and only saw a blurry figure.

“Uh… I think so?” Sister Bai replied doubtedly as her eyes adjusted to the photo. “Oh wait, I don’t think it’s this one.” 

“Oh what?!” 

Thinking she would finally have a lead on this body’s mystery, Hua Mei's big expectations fell short and the cloud of dismay immediately surrounded her.

Feeling curious, Sister Bai wanted to ask but suppressed it because she didn’t want to pry into other people’s lives, especially her patients.

“Okay, miss, I will get going then.” Sister Bai let out a sigh and decided to leave finally. ‘Every time I visit her, she never lets me leave, haha.’

Hua Mei snapped out of her thoughts and said a vague “ok”.

As Sister Bai was about to go out, Hua Mei’s voice was suddenly heard.

“Sister Bai, stop calling me Ms. Hua, it feels so formal. Call me Meimei from now, ok?”

Sister Bai was stunned and looked back at the woman sitting on the bed. She finished feeding her child and was wiping down the child. Slowly putting the baby back into the crib, the woman looked up with the most dazzling smile she had ever seen on her face. 

If a fellow nurse was there, they would be surprised at the varied complicated emotions Sister Bai was showing.

“Ah… okay.” Sister Bai uttered those words so slowly as if it took everything from her to say those words. 

Hua Mei at once looked at her as if expecting something.

After what seemed like ages, Sister Bai finally replied, “Yes… Meimei. I will come afterward to check on you.” She immediately left as if fleeing from the scene.

“Hmm, I don’t think my name is that bad.” Hua Mei looked at the closed door, recalling Sister Bai’s dazed look. Albeit noticing something, she decided not to pry.

***

Suddenly loud knocks filled the room and Hua Mei snapped out of her thoughts. She scrambled out of the bed and struggled to clean the baby and tidy herself.

“Oh god, wait a minute!!” Hua Mei almost screamed when she heard the door handle turning. “Don’t come in! DON’T COME IN!!”

The attempts in opening immediately stopped and the room quietened down. 

Hua Mei laid the baby in the crib and instantly went to open the door. 

For some reason, the doors in this VIP wing opened outward and that threw her off in the start. She almost panicked a day ago when she thought she couldn’t open the door. Turns out, she’s just been dumb as f*ck and tried to open in the wrong way. 

‘I could literally see how bad Sister Bai wanted to laugh. Hah… Everything that has happened after crossing over seems to be against me in every sense.’

As Hua Mei opened the door, her eyes laid itself on the most beautiful man she had ever seen in her whole life. 

One could even describe him as androgynous. The sharp siren eyes glared straight as if nothing could make it bow. Aligning the eyes were razor-edged eyebrows hidden behind stray hairs that fell out from the head. Dressed in a pastel green suit, a sense of elegance and casualness came off of him. 

Patients and nurses from other rooms were craning their necks out to get a glimpse of this charming young man. 

After staring at that face for a hot minute, Hua Mei snapped out of her daze and realized how rude she was being. 

“I am sorr–”

But, immediately a soft voice mellowed out and interrupted her. 

“Hello, I am Hua Fen.”

“...” Never expected a big boss to have a mellow voice.

The super-duper handsome guy stopped speaking and seemed to wait for something.

Hua Mei blanked out and didn’t know what to say to somebody who just appeared and introduced himself. 

‘Do I say my name now? But, why do I keep finding him familiar...’

Utterly confused, Hua Mei slowly spoke a few words, “Uh… Hi? I am Hua Mei…

...Do you need something?”

“I was sent here to check up on you since we were the ones who admitted you to the hospital when you were in a dire state. We appointed the best doctor to take care of you after your accident and so we are glad that you have safely given birth.”

“....” Hua Mei’s mind short-circuited and she couldn’t take in the sudden influx of information.

‘Maybe this is why I’m in the VIP wing.. I mean he obviously exudes money vibes.’

“Umm.. I don’t know what to say… But, thank you.”

“It’s ok mam, our Chairman doesn’t care about these formalities, he just wants the people he helps to be in good condition...”

The young man stopped speaking and handed her a fruit basket.

“Chairman sent you well wishes and congratulations for a new life.”

Hua Mei grabbed the basket in a dazed state and uttered a “thank you”.

“If that’s all, I will get going, mam.”

“...Wait, wait!” Hua Mei stopped the man in panic.

After she somewhat organized her thoughts and prepared to ask, she noticed the occasional glances the people around them sent. Thinking about how she was going to bombard him with important questions, Hua Mei decided to speak with him privately.

“Um...Will you.. um please come in?” She hesitantly uttered the words, “I need to talk to you about something…”

As she talked, the man’s face gradually turned expressionless and void of any emotions.

Pretty short chapter but decided to post what I have. I haven't continued writing this story as I had irl stuff to look after and I was pretty unmotivated to write this. But, yeah, sorry about it and I hope to continue providing regular updates (not sure tho...)

Thank you so much for reading and hope you have a good day/night^^

This was kinda the face i was thinking of for Hua Fen woulde be like kento yamazaki but even more amplified beauty (?)

1