Chapter 31 – Nishi-chan and the Pine Tree
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As usual, I headed out of home for school. Thursday. Wednesday went by, with nothing notable. Just a few jokey things. It was also the awaited turn for the ‘King of Class 2B’. That would be Tatsuya. Kidding, I’m obviously referring to Minoru-san. Public opinion of him was still high. The teachers could dish out whatever punishment, but I feel like the 2nd years, particularly the girls and the male soccer team, would riot. It would have its own entry on Wikipedia. Or at least news on NHK.

I opened the door. I was greeted by an angel on the balcony. Nishi-chan.

“Hiya Honzooo!” She screamed at the top of her lungs. But it was surprisingly soft and angelic. What a charming lady. 

Erina Takanishi. She lived in the apartments in front of my house. Nishi-chan appeared to not be finished. Well, she had her uniform on, but she kept shouting at me, “Wait!”

So I did just that. I laid my back towards the wall of my home, defending my citadel. The Fukaze Household. A clan of samurai. Well, really a clan of managers at Toyota. When it comes to it, my family really are well off, aren’t they? Recently, I was giving it some thought. Maybe a listless life is not actually that bad? If I choose this life, with all the knowledge about the consequences, who can I say that I made a wrong decision?

A few minutes had passed. Luckily, it was early 8:05-ish, and it was only a 20-minute walk to our school.

“Honzo! You’re wearing your red tie!” She stood in front of my house.

“Oh really? Wait for me then Nishi-chan!” I told her in a hurried way. I didn’t have enough time to say, so it kind of sounded like a mumble.

I went to my bedroom. I swapped the tie. Why does anyone care about maroon or red? However, it would be embarrassing to wear a red tie in a classroom full of maroon ties. Maroon ties. Some people still wore sailor uniforms. Our school wasn’t too fussy with uniforms, actually. Except if the Minetaur was at the entrance. He better not.

I left my house, tie completely finished. Well, it was a bit scruffy.

“Let me get that for you Honzo-kun!” Nishi-chan loves saying Honzo-kun, but I’m pretty sure I’m older than her by a few minutes? I suppose it’s hypocritical to add the -chan suffix to her name, whilst complaining about getting called kun. Yeah, fair enough.

She helped straighten my tie. Rather quick with her hands, actually.

“It’s been a while since we both walked together? Maybe since the end of first year?”

 I said, with a rather made-up playboy voice. It was really just my normal tone of voice. Well, I gave a slight laugh.

“It’s nice to hang with you, from time to time. I mean you blanked me last week, did you not?” Nishi-chan said, slightly confrontational but in her cute idol-like way. Yeah, imagine getting told off by an idol. That would be quite a sight to see.

“Sorry. But I literally had a meeting with Minetaka-sensei.” Decisively, I shut down her weird question and explained myself.

“You could’ve rejected me, Sayako, and Kenji more politely, you know. Or at least be kind.”

What the? Is she trying to argue with me first thing in the morning! Too playful! I want to walk in peace! No more pedestal for you.

“I thought I did, but I’m really sorry then, Nishi-chan.”

“Erina!” Nishi-chan screamed at me.

“Alright, sorry Takanishi-san.” I retorted, perhaps a bit too playful. Maybe I’m a massive hypocrite.

She kept hitting my shoulders, back and forth. She’s not even the first person this week to do that, I’m afraid. But, I really do actually enjoy walking with Nishi-chan.

“What’s your plans for the week? Just staying at home playing games and watching YouTube?” She was mocking my lifestyle! How could she!

I spoke, trying to fight back the allegations of being a bum. “You literally do the same thing? You play Valorant, and you sit watching drama lore videos? Who needs lore to understand a drama? Just type it on your phone.”

“Yeah, but people find me cute, and people think you’re the definition of a pine tree.”

What the hell? A pine tree? No way am I being compared to a pine tree. Do they even exist in Japan?

“Stop it now Nishi, no way you just called me a pine tree? A pine tree? What? At least it must be referring to my height.” I spoke back.

“Yeah, I guess, but you’re not even that tall. You’re not even 6 feet.”

“You’re like 5ft 1! And stop it, no one knows who I am. You’re the one who compared a pine tree to me. Not anyone else!” I laughingly said.

“You got me!” Nishi-chan had her hands up in the air, with her clean palms facing each of my eyes as she stood there.

Both of us decided to laugh. I don’t know how we got into that, but I think it was a good conclusive point. Another carefree walk. I didn’t need to go to any convenience store, as I just took some food from the fridge and cabinet. Food is bountiful in my home.

Speaking of food.

“Honzo, what’s your favourite fruit? I was thinking about fruit yesterday.” A strange Nishi-chan raised an interesting question.

“Why you ask? Is this a personality test? You already know how I am, so why do you need to guess? What even is a ‘favourite’ fruit? How can you have a fruit you prefer?” I tried to dodge the question. No need to answer what you don’t want to.

Nishi-chan put her hand to her forehead and shook it. She was displeased. We were already midway towards school and surprisingly surrounded by students. Luckily, they were all mostly third-years. Such diligence and pure-heartedness to be going to school early.

Nishi-chan spoke. She spoke with passion.

“Are you too good for fun questions? You above it all, Honzo-sama? The king himself? My favourite fruit is mango, but yours is clearly ‘What is a favourite fruit?’ Never heard of it, but I suppose it must be a killjoy fruit like you!”

She humphed.

Guess I do have to play along, from time to time.

“My favourite fruit is pears. Happy?” I sarcastically remarked.

At least Nishi-chan returned to smiling.

“Actually, I am. You want a pear-flavoured boba tea?”

I suddenly coughed at that suggestion. Like I choked on my drink, but it was really my saliva. Look, I was that astounded at her suggestion.

“Why boba?” I pondered.

Nishi-chan spoke in a so-and-so tone. “I saw you and Nakanami-san in the mall in the station. Seemed like you two doves were on a date.” 

Jealous? Or does she think I have poor taste in women? Or both!

“If you insist on the pear boba tea, I would gladly take you up on that offer.” I nodded.

In a squirrel-like manner, Nishi-chan started to speak.

 “I was joking, Honzo. Sorry to break your heart! Teehee!”

Teehee? No way did she just actually go teehee. This counts as a heartbreak, right? How do I live from this now?

“It wasn’t a date… I think. Me and Sayako wanted to give some work to Minoru-san, since… you know, he got suspended for a fight.” I quickly explained to her. Most of the essence was captured in my words, right?

“Ahh, I see Honzo-kun. I hope you enjoyed it, because it’ll be your only chance with another girl that isn’t me.”

“Stop the teasing!” I raised my voice. Nishi-chan laughed. However, I saw no humour in what I said. I was being sincere. It’s apparent that I’ve been cursed with being funny.

The sunrise was honestly a bit delayed. Sadly, these low clouds seemed to postpone it. But, it shone through. I don’t care how basic it is, the view was breathtaking. Beautiful. I kinda forgot I was walking to school on my least favourite day. I don’t like Thursdays. It’s like near the end of the week, but it isn’t, so it feels like a complete slug.

But the view changed that, at least for a faint moment. The orange undertones surrounded the light blue. It was as if the background was painted by a higher order. Soul-touching. I could feel the warmth encapsulate me. A hug from Mother Nature herself. She’s telling me all is fine.

Yet, when you think about it, I’m the one who has personified nature and the sky. In my instant thoughts, I was genuinely considering dropping out of high school and chasing the calling of a priest. However, it was me who described it. So, is it my power? 

What is it to be one’s self? Or oneself? Will I ever achieve true congruence with me, myself, and I? Why do I ask questions and not answer them? I fall into the same train of thought. Time and time again.

Although, I appreciated this moment. Look, it's me and Nishi-chan making a friendly, but somewhat pushy conversation. I am content with the world.

“Have you ever thought that the food in school just sucks? I mean, wow! I’m sorry to say, but Honzo, it’s like your cooking but served to the entire school.”

And a cruel and practical reality returned to my senses. Then again, why was I almost getting euphoric and romantic over a sunrise in this boring part of Nagoya?

I’m going to apologize. It might be boring, but it’s been home since before I was even born. Man, I’m too rosy to be suffering from a depersonalization disorder. Wait, that doesn’t make sense.

Deeply disappointed, I spoke to Nishi-chan, barely hiding my disagreement about my cooking.

“Yes. The school cafeteria sucks. But, I beg of you. Do not compare my curry to something so insufferable as the school’s bread and rice combo. How is that even sold to us?”

In a dismissive and light tone, Nishi said “I was joking Honzo. Of course, your cooking is not as bad as bread and rice. The bread is nice, just a weird combo.”

Now I have to defend ‘bread and rice’.

“You’re meant to buy one of the sauces or meats with it, but people are cheapskates and just buy only the bread and rice. You're speaking to one example here, Erina-chan. I am the one who eats the bread and rice.”

I called her Erina as fanservice. It worked. Her mouth muscles made what scientists call a smile? Sadly, it was not conclusive.

We reached the school gates. Nishi-chan felt slightly different than usual the entire time. I guess this is how she’s been acting now.

As we entered the reception, filled with lockers. It was time to separate into our friendship groups and our own locker. But out of the blue, she spoke candidly.

“Hey, Honzo. I know you’ve heard that I’m trying to be an actress and all, but promise me we’ll always be close, at least for years to come.”

This is a death flag. You have risen a death flag. Maybe, I should stop watching anime.

She bowed to me.

“Woah, lift your head up. Why the sudden deep formalities? Are you leaving Aisaihashi?”

“Maybe. Or I just won’t be here as often. I finally have an agent and they’re planning on putting me onto television and movies.”

“Why tell me now?” I asked.

“So you don’t get blindsided. After all, me, you, and Kazumi are like close family. At least to me.”

Erina was an only child. She always hung out with me and Kazumi at my house. So, I suppose she’s not wrong about the family.

“I gotta say, that’s quite a shock. I’m obviously happy, but I do wish you would stay here. Just stay here, but don’t come often, no?”

“We’ll see. Either way, I’ll always see you as someone close. Maybe, we will become even closer in the later years.”

She mentioned something like this, about a week and a bit ago, but I didn’t expect it to be at this level. Wow. I feel a sense of happiness about this. And yet, nothing might ever be the same. Melancholy.

“Give it your best shot, Nishi-chan. If you get famous and get into a relationship with a star actor, at least consider inviting me to your wedding.”

Nishi laughed but then she got a bit angry. I’m being dense on purpose.

She then wanted to conclude her ambiguous goodbye. “Whatever happens, I do actually hope you find peace. Preferably with me, teehee!”

There she goes with her teehees?

“What, you want to marry or something?” The words had barely even come out of my mouth.

“Not really, but, let’s just say call me if we’re both lonely by our mid-20s. My mom doesn’t want to sell the apartment, so if you somehow lose contact with me just knock on the door.”

I think it’s time to head to the classroom. As I spoke, a certain beautiful black-haired school council president appeared.

“Hey, I know you two like each other and keep flirting, but let’s head to school,” Kazumi commanded.

Well, I had to respond.

“You know Kazumi, the second-year classes are just by the staircase, right? It’s literally too early.” I retorted.

“Yeah, but anything to stop this sugar overdose. What Erina is trying to tell you is that she’ll basically stop acting if you went out with her.” That was rather brash, Kazumi-senpai.

Yeah, it was rather brash because Nishi-chan is currently the most bashful thing on this planet. She’s red like… an apple? I don’t even know anymore.

Erina spoke.

“Yeah, that’s kinda on the spot.”

I came up with a quick answer.

“Just be an actress, Nishi-chan. You loved watching dramas at mine and Kazumi’s house, right? So just chase it. You can always come back to us if you care. There is nothing about me that is worth throwing away a potential big career. You can still find time to attend school if Kazumi, a literal professional model and basically the top school administrator, can handle it. Don’t worry about me.”

Nishi just smiled. And so, there probably began her career. Come what may, I still liked her but I’m not that selfish to stop her from acting. Although, I hope it’s a short career. 

Just kidding.

Nishi and I split our ways. But I honestly don’t think it'll be the last. I’ll just ask Nishi to hire me as her assistant for free money. 

Do pine trees feel lonely? Because, I certainly am.

We went to our classes, and my head was feeling heavy. Did I throw away my chance? I feel like Nishi has been trying to say something since the beginning of school. But I’ve been involved in… the Culture Club and its shenanigans. Of which it’s really been a meeting, but I know there will be more.

Time for school.

0