Chapter 39 – Love Songs Aren’t Real
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You know what. Why am I even keeping up with who’s in the group at the moment? Yusuke said his goodbyes mid-cafe stop. I’ve only talked to half of them so far in this impromptu gathering. Who even came up with it? I think it was Maipie, the Pastel Princess of Aichi Prefecture, with her brilliant social skills who did it.

Ah, man, I need to stop complaining. The numbers were going to dwindle soon. We’re all outside the cafe, just talking about whatever they’re talking about. I give up. Instead of gathering any valuable energy, such as calories and caffeine from this shop (I spent ¥10000!), to talk to them, I’ll just describe the scene. My back was turned towards all of them. Once again, a lonely solitary figure.

Time punched the end of its shift. It clocked at 5:12PM. A bit of overtime, I guess. Few clouds seemed to wrap around the fingers of the sky. Despite that, an afternoon sun still shone with the strength of regality. Maybe humans were nothing more but a dirty spec against the nature of the universe? The beauty in the skies means nothing in the cosmos. Perhaps the cosmos means nothing to another magnitude above it.

That didn’t matter. I stood, with the sun warming its mellow hues into my cheeks. I felt a sensation that brought me back to my home, ignoring the fact that home is a mere 5-minute walk away. It’s cliche, but I suppose being outside does help out your mental health. To the left was some green bushery. Wait. That’s not a word. Hold on. After a few brain farts, I realized I meant to say foliage. Hopefully, that doesn’t ruin my pristine description of the world around me. I love Nagoya!

Let’s start again, shall we?

To my left, were shrubs and greenery, acting like fortified towers. They looked embedded with the fence, the only protection between us and the puny Arako River. I’ve mentioned this river before. I don’t think the term ‘river’ is an accurate description. It’s closer to a stream of urine in comparison to a river like the mighty Ganges. Too distasteful a metaphor? Fair enough.

To my left were the usual danchi buildings. Unlike Minoru-san’s, these buildings were all too normal. Simple. Average. Well, then again, his home would fit all those adjectives if it wasn’t for the stupid violence. Let me stop tangenting now. Yes, I’ve made that verb up. Maybe they’ll add it to the dictionary?

In the foreground was a simple grey-toned apartment building. What about the rest, you might ask? Nothing more. Just simple buildings, home to simple folk. Takabata. 

Home, sweet home.

My 'introspective' endeavour was later disrupted by two individuals. I don’t know why I said two individuals. They’re both really my friends. Matter of fact, everyone here is my friend. I don’t want to get all wholesome, but… this act of describing the scene has made me realize something that I had pretended to internalize. 

I actually like talking to people.

Ignoring that pitifully weak epiphany, a dangerous duo of Maipie and Shibuya crept up on me. Either they were going to kill me by pushing me into the river or they were just going to make conversation. I bet ¥20,000 to you that they’re going to make conversation. What are the odds of them murdering me?

“Hey, Honzo.” An uncharacteristically quiet Maipie greeted me.

“Why are you coming here?”

A concerned Shibuya-san stood in front of me.

“Did you not hear? We’re going to Erina’s house to celebrate her getting that role!”

“Why are you guys all weird on me? I know you’re reserved, Shibuya, but you Mai? Quiet? Has World War III begun?”

Mai’s face suddenly went into a… well, I guess you could call it a screwface. Yes. I’m using that term. There’s literally no other way to put it. Although, she seemed disgusted more than angry. Hey. I’ve never been good with telling other people’s emotions, so I’ll just say that.

“I left you alone because it looked like you were having a good time!” Maipie practically screamed at me.

Yeah. I kind of was actually. I didn’t mention it early, but the bush blossoms also seemed to have a strong grip on my mind, the way its beauty aroused something in me. Sounds weird? That’s how powerful the mind manipulation was. Anyways. I was having a good time, but that doesn’t mean that these two can act all different on me? Why don’t people stick to my two-dimensional characterizations of them?

“Ahh… sorry then. I was just looking at the elderly couple on the other side.”

I was lying. I only just noticed them and my brain auto-completed the sentence. Always in excellent form, subconscious me. You have no idea what predicament you just swooped in and saved me from.

Mai’s face went from disgust to confusion. “Honzo-kun. I think that’s a school couple.” 

She shook her head as if it were a slight throwback to those old comedy anime that were airing when we were born. Yes. I am referring to any anime aired in 2006. Finally, she’s playing to her archetype! 

“Never mind that, Honzo. So you coming or not?”

Shibuya just looked at me, instead of usually looking at Mai, or… well last time, I caught her looking at the floor once. 

This is like playing Russian Roulette. No reward for big consequences. However, think about it, you could wager or have your life as collateral for a big benefit. So, what other gambles that have little to no reward but all to lose? Eh, I’m sticking with this metaphor. It’s a common one for a reason.

Actually, giving it some thought, it’s kind of clear that I have to go. Nishi-chan literally lives right next to me. Nor, can I make any quick-witted excuse to stay out of my house whilst they’re having fun next to me. I don’t want to loiter around Central Nagoya and I’m not the type to do something so foolhardy to get out of a social situation. 

I also said I like talking to people, so I can’t really be lying to myself now, can I?

As I stood there, time slowing down, the birds, once flying so eagerly, stood slow. You can really hold time for a standstill… if you just think really attentively. The fast-paced whisks of clouds, all suddenly held in place, as if my brain ordered it so. I’m from Nagoya. This place is full of descendants of samurai. That’s why you have to think carefully about your next actions.

Enough of that. I can’t think of a good excuse, and I don't want to hang out on my own in the city centre. I’ll try to be good-spirited for now.

“Yeah. I’m coming. I mean I have to, right? I mean, you do know that Nishi-chan lives opposite to me? It’d be awkward to say no, and you see me, down below, watching anime or worse.”

“Explain worse,” Mai said with wide-open eyes. 

I replied back.

“Never mind.”

Shibuya seemed to be slightly relieved… although I don’t really know why she’s relieved about that? I think she’s relieved about me going to the get-together… I hope.

Is it a social gathering? Not a lot of people are here to call it a party, so I guess the term social gathering works. Which by the way, who is actually coming out of all of us?

“Wait, who’s coming?” I asked Shibuya.

“Me, Mai… I think Yamaki is coming, right?”

Speaking of the devil.

“Yessir!” Yamaki shouted and gave a salute. I’m surprised she has a strong posture, it’s as if a five-star general visited us. Although, I don’t think a five-star general would say that to a bunch of civilians.

She continued. “I was thinking of not going, but I said to myself… why not? New year, new opportunities.”

Looking at her odd happiness, I asked, “New opportunities… for what, exactly?” 

“Clearly, they are opportunities, Honzo-kun,” Maipie answered for Yamaki. All three of them blushed. It was as if I was a farmer in a synchronised ripening of tomatoes. 

The misc group really should be the stars of their own show.

“I’m not going to ask about that, I guess. Who else is coming?”

Shibuya coughed, before finally getting to finish her list.

“It’s us three, obviously Erina, Saeka and Tatsuya too. Basically everyone here, but Kenji. Nakamura’s coming too. Kenji said he wanted to head home with Yusuke, so he was always going to be here temporarily.”

Kaede? Her? I mean, they’re in the same class, so I guess it makes sense. Come to think about it, I literally just thought this when I was drinking coffee like half an hour ago. Even the couple too? 

Man. 

Love. 

Come to think about it, why are love songs so ubiquitous around this part of the world? People argue about the meaning of the Japanese national anthem all the time. I’m not the only one, but it sounds like a love song. Whoever wrote it was probably thinking about calling their loved one the lord, or something? I don’t know. It’s not the only potential love song as a national anthem in Asia. Then again, almost every national anthem is about loving your country.

Anyways.

“Wait, what about Minoru?” I asked.

“I think he’s undecided. He said he’d rather go home before it gets dark.” Mai answered.

“That’s fair. I’ll go talk to him, to ask if he wants to go.”

I walked off towards Minoru, who seemed to be enjoying a conversation with Kenji. They’re both colleagues in football, at the end of the day. Sorry, I meant soccer. I think I’ve clearly been consuming too much British entertainment, eh?

Apparently, everyone told their parents that they’d be home late, except for me?

Then again, do I really need to tell my parents I’ll be literally 10 - 20 metres away from them? In addition to how redundant that is, my parents are the arbiter of free parenting! I am the autonomous region of a federalist republic! They let me do, essentially, anything without me needing to ask for permission. Is that weird? Maybe it is a tad bit strange. 

After giving a few thoughts about whether my parents give me freedom or are actually mostly absentee - I realize that when they’re at home, they’re usually a bit stern.

So I guess, they are the Schrödinger of parental freedom. Actually, that metaphor is straight-up garbage rotting for weeks in quality.

I plead the Fifth Amendment to myself. Except, I’m not American. Furthermore, I also don’t know what the amendment means. Just something I copied from a show about police chasing drug dealers. “Cop this bag yo!”

Hey, I wonder if that was happening in Minoru’s life?

Too insensitive? I wish you could amend your previous thoughts when you understand how terrible they are.

Damn! Look at that! Another tangent. It’s crazy how many thoughts can rush into your brain trying to procrastinate. It’s not like I made a continuous decision to abstain from doing productive stuff such as asking your friend if he’s attending a ‘social gathering.’ Am I insane?

That’s a rhetorical question. Please don’t answer.

Time to filter my thoughts. Focus on the mission. Be a hero, Fukaze Honzo!

I stood tall on my promise, my throat barely open as I tried to combat the weird fear represented by… a gulp. Comedic, isn’t it? I spoke directly to Minoru.

“Hey, Minoru. Are you going to Nishi’s place?”

“Yeah. I was thinking of going. I don’t really wanna go home at the moment.”

I looked at him, his eyes showing a tinge of relief. I’ve never ever realized you could show relief on your face, until now.

“That’s fair.”

Lucky for him - I suppose? Unlucky for me. I’ll look like the odd one out if I don’t attend, especially since I live next door. I can’t exactly plan an impromptu walk around Nagoya. Although, that does sound fun. Entertaining. If you don’t enjoy night-time walks in the city, you must be either lying or the son of farmers. No disrespect to my father, who was the son of farmers. No disrespect to the occupation of farmers too. Food is important.

Why am I like this?

Scrap that whole thought on the agricultural workforce. I love tractors! 

Moving on, I decided to join in the fun. I didn’t explicitly tell them I was going to Nishi-chan’s place to celebrate, which honestly is rather random and definitely impulsive to celebrate. Sounds like both a Nishi and Sayako thing to do. Except, Sayako isn’t here. I’m stuck with the ever-mischievous Mai and her silent but better assistant Shibuya.

Also everyone else. Is there a way to conclude what I’m thinking? Never mind. Someone else did.

“Come on guys, let’s go now!” an almost chant-like command came from Mai, herself.

And, so forth we marched.

0