CHAPTER 16 – THE CAPTAIN
176 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bliss was racking his brain trying to figure out a way to survive this invasion. Bliss looked at his skill list a few times trying to find a way. He was ready to give up when a notification popped up.

 

[Human soldiers have been slain  +1000 exp]

 

[Skill Culprit activated]

 

Seeing this notification Bliss' eyes lit up with hope. Bliss opened his spacial pocket and took out all the bones he had of Marvel. 

 

It had to be noted that Bliss had saved the majority of Marvel’s body just so he could enjoy the meat but now after a couple weeks had passed majority of the meat was gone and only the bones remained. A very small number of bones were used to make weapons for the Leaders and himself but otherwise the skeleton of Marvel was still intact. 

 

Bliss nodded realizing that things might not have been as grim as he had imagined. The only real issue was the number of soldiers plus that monster of a commander that was leading them. 

 

Bliss just wanted to make sure that at all costs he avoided the commander while killing as many of the foot soldiers as possible until he could escape. 

 

-

 

Sir Donald watched as his men marched forward. He dismounted his steed and as the last soldier passed him he leaned against the stead panting heavily. 

 

“Well I guess that was a little too much for this beaten up body of mine.”

 

A female soldier that was close to the commander saw his heavy breathing and came over, 

 

“I know you just wanted to build some morale but was it really wise to use that much power so early?”

 

The commander turned his face up and grinned. 

 

“It’s okay captain Cassandra. You are still young so you don't understand. The first rule of war is to strike complete fear into the enemy.” 

 

“War? Isn’t that a little too exaggerated for a small and silly dungeon like this?”

Cassandra gave the commander a look of confusion. 

 

“Exaggerated?!”

 

The commander scoffed as Cassandra,

 

“You seem to take this dungeon likely. But according to my reports the dungeon boss is a conniving little fellow. 

 

As for this ‘war’, you best keep in mind that war is ninety percent psychological. 

 

The first blow is often made before the blow.” 

 

The commander patted Cassandra on the back as he took his time walking forward. 

 

-

 

The soldiers at the front stepped forward raising their shields as they were pelted by a hail of giant rocks. The archers amongst the lot shot down the baboons they could spot but it was a slow and tedious process. 

 

The major issue for the soldiers weren’t the rocks from the baboon but-

 

“LOG!!!!”

 

A sharp shout was heard and the soldiers huddled up around the shielders more tightly, who all activated their shielding skills. 

 

Some of them glowed in a white hue while others were encapsulated in an orb or protected  by earth walls. 

 

That was the issue, periodically giant logs would be sent swinging to wipe out entire rows of soldiers. 

 

Already the army had suffered five deaths and a few injuries because of the logs. 

 

All of this without -

 

“STOP!”

 

“Aaaahhhh!”

 

 Screams rang out as another group leading the front was swallowed by a pitfall trap. If the pitfall trap had just a few spikes it wouldn’t have been so bad. After All the soldiers had armor and a few skills that could help them but after the first batch fell they realized that these pits were filled with acid. 

 

Bone dissolving acid from a predatory pitcher plant. The moment a group fell into the pit it was the same as falling into magma. Only the echoes of their screams remained. 

 

The new group leading the charge gulped as they passed the pit filled with acid while blocking the barrage of hurling stone. 

 

The army, regardless of the losses, pushed forward until it was sundown by outside time standards. 

 

The frontliners of the army were exhausted, they had spent the day clearing the way for the rest of the troops, fairing pitfall after pitfall and swing log trap after log trap and not to mention the endless hurricane of stones.  

 

The army made it to the edge of the thick forest. The frontliners raised their weapons and cheered in unison as they saw the brake in the horizon to signal the edge of the forest. 

 

The men looked around and smiled at each other almost ready to break into tears. 

 

But then from the final row of tree tops a bath of predatory plant pitcher acid poured down on the army. 

 

The soldiers looked mortified as they saw the faces of their brederens melt away right in front of them. 

 

Fully grown men became walking skeletons in the blink of an eye. 

 

The screams of the melting soldiers ran across the army leaving chills in all those who could hear. 

 

“SHEILDS!”

 

“ARCHERS!”

 

The commander who was now in the middle of the army was the one to shout, bringing back the soldiers from their stupor as they instinctively followed orders and raised their shields to protect themselves from the second round of acid downpour. 

 

The archers fired a few rounds of arrows and a few more apes fell. 

 

The surviving men at the front line wanted to run forward to leave the forest as soon as possible but when they looked in front of them  they saw a line of baboons with clubs in hand waiting. 

 

[RAAAAR!!!]

 

A loud screech was heard from the largest of the baboons and they all rushed forward looking like crazy rabid creatures. 

 

The baboons attacked the soldiers without fear. The bloodshot look in their eyes already showed that they were in a berserker state. 

 

The soldiers were still trained soldiers so seeing the rush they had adopted a sturdy formation and held off the baboons regardless. 

 

The baboons were at a huge disadvantage. They were smaller, their weapons more primitive and their formations non-existent. They were dying quicker than they could even injure the soldiers. 

 

Everything changed when the baboon leader ran forward. Every soldier he swung his bone white club at was sent flying. Every arrow fired at him was deflected. It took a barrage of fireballs from the back rank soldiers for the ape to finally slow down his slaughter. 

 

[ROARRRRR!]

 

After that roar everything got worse. 

 

The baboons that before were hardly a challenge, eyes turned fully red. 

 

The attacks of the baboons were now fast and strong enough to break the bones of ordinary soldiers even through the armor. 

 

The leader roared and swung his club without end. He alone must have killed at least twelve soldiers, everytime his club connected with a soldier's head it exploded. 

 

“Leave this one to me!”

 

The army was parted when a lady in armor stepped forward and drew her sword.

 

“Captain Cassandra!”

 

The Captain stepped forward but with each step her armor glowed in a purple hue. 

 

The baboon leader realized he had encountered someone special and rushed at Cassandra swinging his club with ferocious might.

 

Cassandra stood still and the shadows raised up like tentacles and blocked the attack of the baboon leader. 

 

The baboon leader even in his enraged state made a look of surprise. Cassandra stepped forward with her hand still on the sword and appeared behind the baboon leader. 

 

She continued walking forward to attack the next baboon in sight, not paying mind to the leader she had just passed. A few seconds passed before the head of the baboon leader rolled off and the other baboons returned to their normal berserk state. 

 

The soldiers looked at the body of the baboon leader as he fell to the ground with his head rolling the opposite way. They were in awe of how easily Cassandra dealt with such a strong creature.  

 

Cassandra continued to walk forward and as she did one after the other the baboons began to fall. 

 

9