CHAPTER 32 – DIRE CIRCUMSTANCES
195 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ceremony had just ended and the sun was setting. But two old men shook hands and smiled at each other. 

 

Although the two men were considered old, the older one among the two was the guildmaster of this town that was closest to the Marvel Dungeon. 

 

“I am happy to hand over my duties as guildmaster to someone as young and as competent as you guild leader Aaron.”

 

The bald old man looked at the new guildmaster with a smile that couldn’t be more disingenuous.  

 

“Thank you elder Roku, your legacy precedes you.  I hope to become even a fraction of the guildmaster you once were.”

 

Newly appointed Guildmaster Aaron wasn’t so dense as to not understand the guildmasters disingenuous nature, even his thanks was really a backhanded statement. 

 

Despite their ages and appointments, they were still no better than children competing. The only difference at this age was how tact they had to be with it since the village was crowding around to watch the handing over ceremony. 

 

Aaron the newly appointed guildmaster bowed and accepted the ceremonial key to the guild hall. 

 

Elder Roku had long since felt the creeping of old age but now when the time actually came for him to retire he felt melancholy. 

 

All the friends and acquaintances he had met in his life were because of his duties within the guilds. After years of hardship he truly felt like he was leaving a part of himself behind. 

 

Elder Roku looked at his assistant and bowed respectfully. 

 

“Miss Aimy, you have been invaluable during my servitude. I hope that you will support the guild lead- I mean Guild Master Aaron just the same.”

 

The crowd of tattered looking commoners cheered as the key to the guild hall was handed over.

 

But the cheering was cut short when a shout was heard. 

 

“Marching troops incoming from the north!”

 

The moment the announcement was heard the guildmasters went on high alert and focused in that direction. 

 

The village guards at the entrance came out and formed a defensive line. 

 

“Estimated numbers are twenty five!”

 

Another announcement was made and the tense look on the guards and villagers suddenly became relaxed. 

 

It had to be understood that while twenty five soldiers were considered marching troops it was no better than a small band of bandits. Not to mention they had chosen the worst time to arrive. Right now with two guildmasters present it was tantamount to kicking a sleeping lion. 

 

Ex-Guildmaster Roku squinted his old and baggy eyes to see what was marching from the horizon. 

 

The moment he got a clear sense of what was coming he gulped and turned to Guildmaster Aaron and handed the scroll of contracts that the guildmaster kept to him. Well it was more of a thrust than a simple handing over. 

 

“Thank you for accepting this position.”

 

Ex-guildmaster wasted no time and immediately disappeared from his position. 

 

The villagers who saw this felt dejected. Was he really in such a rush to abandon his people?

 

A little while after the ex-guildmaster disappeared another announcement ran through the village. 

 

“Marching Troops are considered friendlies!”

 

Hearing this the tension went down another notch and some of them even began to understand why the old guildmaster would not trouble himself with this matter, moreso after he had just retired. 

 

But the relaxed nature of the villagers as they were about to welcome their own warriors disappeared as they became more and more visible on the horizon.

 

The troops had left with a little over 150 men but now that they returned only twenty three came marching back. Not to mention they all looked very tattered with some of them even missing limbs and having bandages covering parts of their bodies. 

 

The newly appointed guildmaster was the first one to rush forward to the captain and commander that was in front both with disgruntled faces. 

 

“Good day Commander Donald and Captain Cassandra. I am the newly appointed Guildmaster Aaron. 

 

Might I ask why a forward party is being sent to its own home base?”

 

Guildmaster Aaron had assumed this was most likely just the forward party sent by the troops to get supplies so that the main body could move more easily. But his assumptions were cut deep by the next statement. 

 

“...This is all there is.”

 

Guildmaster Aaron was taken aback. He looked at the rest of the soldiers who were carrying carriages filled with goods. Based on their loot they should have been happy but they all looked like lifeless shell shocked soldiers. 

 

What dungeon could possibly be this fierce, to reduce an army of over a hundred men to the twenties and leave them in such a sorry state. 

 

Guildmaster Aaron nodded in understanding and continued. 

 

“And what of the dungeon's heart?”

 

Commander Donald gave the guildmaster a stern look as though trying to tell him now was not the time. 

 

“I will give my report to the council.”

 

The commander instantly shut down the guildmaster and the troops continued to march forth like lifeless zombies. 

 

-

 

It only took a few hours before the council for the lands was convened. 

 

Based on how hastily Viscount Lander, his four Barons and nine lords gathered it was obvious they had expected a meeting very soon.  

 

“After it was all said and done; In total, we lost 129 soldiers. We were left with five heavily injured, and three with minor injuries.”

 

Commander Donald stood before the council with his head down as he gave the reports of the expedition through the dungeon. 

 

The council despite the losses gave him an indifferent look. It had to be noted that the soldiers lost in the battle were mainly newly recruited soldiers who were sent on this mission for special training. So their value naturally wasn’t that high to begin with. 

 

“He should be court martialed for his failures!

 

These losses of our citizens cannot go unpunished!”

 

There it was, those random nobles with their own agendas. Commander Donald shook his head ready to accept his faith. 

 

‘Probably just another puppet trying to get their family higher in the military’

 

Sir Donald thought as they continued to squabble between each other. 

 

“Now, now, as the newly appointed guildmaster I would like to confirm that you noticed the dungeon boss was a demon?”

 

The council missed this point and immediately realized the seriousness of the matter should it be true. 

 

Although the demon’s haven’t been seen in the last fifty years there was a kingdom wide order to report any matter regarding the appearance of a demon kind. 

 

The demon race was a well known threat to all of humanity. Although within the last half a century or so they were categorized as a weak extinct race the lingering fear always stood nonetheless. 

 

The demons were known for their conniving nature with the ability to steal joy from men. At one point in history they even ruled the entire world. Even to this day the entire word was still named after them. 

 

“Well, he certainly acted like one. Looked like one. His presence felt like one… But… the horn, his horn was missing.”

 

Sir Donald tried to explain. The guildmaster nodded his head in understanding. Guildmaster Aaron felt like this whole situation was left on him by a lazy predecessor. No guildmaster with a decent conscience would leave office with a matter like this still dangling. 

 

“Very well then, I will push the report forward to the high courts under a low priority statute.”  

 

The council, understanding the seriousness nodded in agreement. 

 

There was an uneasy quiet in the council room after that statement. Each of them looked at the other, none wanting to be the first to ask the question that was on everyone’s mind. 

 

Viscount Lander was the one to shake his head before asking the question that was on everyone’s mind. 

 

“And what of the loot?”

 

SUPPORT " REBORN FROM THE DUNGEON" AT 

Patron/Brightshadowwork

or 

Donate at Paypal 

 

8