Chapter 223: The Final Stand.
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The final hours were approaching. The last of the shops were arriving at the meeting point. The area itself didn’t appear special, but I could feel something above us. And I just knew that was the gate to Otherworld. When we had first arrived, I had seen many familiar faces. Some new ones as well.

The Monk, had arrived with his own subordinates. Announcing himself as the Fifth Sun, the leader of those crazies I barely remembered from back in the prison. Apparently, he had been locked inside willingly, to await this day. Now, he and his people had come to help us with the final push.

Beside him were other familiar faces, though…

“Zi, Sect Master of the Silver Sun Sect greets the founder.” A woman, a familiar character. Her hair swayed behind her in a ponytail, blade strapped to her back. She cut a heroic figure. Behind her were various members of the Silver Suns that had originated from the Unaffiliated Systems.

While I had been dealing with the sects, they had been dismantling their bases. Tearing apart their foundations. Looting and pillaging. All the good stuff. Using that, they began a new branch of the Silver Suns geared to cultivators, and by calling me the Founder, it meant they were officially my own force.

Never thought I’d have a cultivator sect under my arm, but the future is funny.

On top of that, Asura showed up, along with some of his friends and family, even his brother, Yasha. I didn’t interact with them much, but the very fact that they were here, did increase our chances of success. Then there were the forces from DEPP, Xiao, his daughter, and her teammates.

Then there were the extras. The military from various places. Numerous and almost countless ships adding on to our numbers. It was exhausting, but we were just waiting for the last few stragglers to appear, then we would attempt to open the gate… then the fun really begins…

 

 

Jake was preparing himself. Like so many others. And yet, thinking of what was to come, he couldn’t help but shake a feeling that something was wrong. That something was going to happen. He sighed and checked himself over one more time. Wearing armor, instead of his usual suit and tie.

The sound of the door opening woke him from his inspections. He glanced over and saw a familiar figure, that of his father. He didn’t know what to think. It’s been an awkward period of time to be sure.

Back when they fought the God, or rather, back when the God had first appeared, its presence alone had shattered the bindings he had placed on his father. Not that they were truly meant to bind the man. Had he actually tried to escape he could have easily done so.

Even then, during the fight, he had come, he had arrived at the best moment and likely saved his life, or at minimum prevented him from being knocked out. Neither had talked about it. Not really.

Jake had hoped that at some point his father would break his chains of his own will. That hadn’t worked out. So, he wasn’t sure if the man still held something against him, but he hadn’t done anything to stop or harm his efforts. If anything, all he had done was keep doing what he had been doing. Simply watching him. Following him everywhere.

Seeing him enter, Jake wasn’t sure what to say, or what to do. But, his father spoke up first. “Jake…” He trailed off, looking at him. Taking in his armored form. “You look good, son…” He said awkwardly. Jake didn’t speak up. Knowing that his father had more to say, otherwise he wouldn’t have bothered.

“The final battle is upon us…” He finally continued after an awkward moment. “I never thought it would even get to this point…” He trailed off again. Lost in thought.

“Do you still think we will lose?” Jake responded with more bite than he intended. Still, he committed. His father was silent, but then…

“I don’t know… You all, we…” He said again after a moment of reflection. “Faced off with a God and survived. No, not just survived, but won. Had anyone told me that would happen, that I would willingly throw myself before them. I would have called them mad.

For so long, I’ve been lost. Terrified of the coming end, with no possible means to break through, and yet… for the first time I see a path beyond that darkness. But it doesn’t make me feel secure, if anything, it only terrifies me more.” He quieted down.

“You shouldn’t be father, Rettas will open the path to the future for us all. She said so herself.”

He nods slowly. “Indeed, but… what worries me is, what about after that?”

Jake blinks confused. “What do you mean?”

“I mean, a poor turn of phrase, I’m sure… But, you can bring a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink. In much the same way, if Rettas does indeed bring us to the future, isn’t it up to us to make the next step ourselves?”

Jake opened his mouth to refute and yet… He couldn’t. His father, was right in a way. After this, no matter what Rettas has planned. Wouldn’t it be up to them? He had heard her declaration to make an empire, and yet… what if none of them wished for it?

He didn’t imagine she would fight for it. If anything, he could see her laugh and shrug it off. And yet… why did she seem so assured that we would all follow in after her. That we would all commit? There were so many different groups here, all prepared for the final battle.

How could she possibly get all of us to commit to her madness? Though, Jake knows he would follow her wherever, he knows not everyone feels the same. Everyone has their own goals, their own purposes. Most of the forces here wouldn’t willingly throw themselves behind her, not unless something happens.

“So, you see then?” His father said. And Jake nods.

“I do…” The pair fell into silence.

“Still…” His father spoke up. “At least now, I know that no matter what I won’t be alone… Son.” He said, a smile on his face. For the first time, Jake felt something he had wished for all his life, and at one point completely abandoned ever finding. His father’s love.

He smiled. “Right, and I finally have you at my side, Father.” The pair shared a final look before separating. Preparations needed to be made.

 

 

Everyone had gathered. Most of them wouldn’t be useful for the final battle, but every additional gun, every additional man made for a difference. Especially with what I knew. It was entirely possible the Majin would bypass Vega and I, but… with the children and Aspa, I was certain we could break through. Bailey, still hadn’t achieved God Ki, but she was apparently working on something. It wouldn’t bear fruit now, but it would in the future. She would work on helping to protect the Saiyan teens, but I had a feeling they would rise to the challenge.

The leaders, the important people were all floating above the fleets. Monk, or rather, Sun followed by me, Vega, Jake, his father beside him, Xiao, his daughter beside him. Those lesser were just outside our little circle of discussion.

“So, how do we do this?” I asked first.

“Simple, God Ki will open the path forward, but we will need to bypass Limbo.” Sun supplied.

Bypass Limbo? Interesting… “Alright, I’ll go ahead and do so.”

“Beware, Limbo is dangerous, and we have no idea what may appear to stop you.” Sun continued, but I wasn’t worried.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine alone.” I assured him, and he didn’t question me. I pushed out my ki. And felt it hit a barrier of sorts, the others around me pushed their own God ki where I was. It reacted oddly, rippling and shaking the air above us. Revealing a blood red barrier. And yet, just above where we were, just past the barrier, I saw what I thought was a door.

“I’ll be right back.” I assured them and flew forward, not a soul dared stop me. The very second, I touched the blood red barrier, I felt it suck me in. Before I could even get my bearings, a voice rang out.

“Welcome back.” I blinked and saw before me, the ancestor. Along with the countless other Saiyan. “I suppose you’ve come to fulfill your promise?” He asks, even though he already knows the answer.

“Yes. Will you fight me?” I looked at him, and those behind him. He smiled, as did they. As one they laughed.

“No.” The ancestor spoke. Answering for all those present. He stepped forward, towering over me, and yet. I was still shocked when his hand landed on my head. “You have done a good job, truly… you are worthy of being called a Saiyan.”

I felt something catch in my throat. I closed my eyes. When I opened them, I brushed off his hand. “Damn right I am, now let’s go, I don’t have all day.” He chuckled, along with a number of others, the moment I passed him, I felt it. A weight settles on my shoulders. Every additional Saiyan I walked by, was an additional weight. By the end of the short walk, I felt heavy. An enormous weight pulling me down. I tried to roll my shoulders, tried to relieve the weight to no affect.

I looked behind me and saw them following, the trails of spectres and ghosts, the countless spirits trapped in limbo following me, clinging to me.

“We’ll be at your back, forever and always…” The ancestor said in support. I snorted.

“Would be nice if you all were a little less heavy.” More laughs cracked out, but I didn’t bother responding. I merely continued going forward. Pushing through. In a few steps. I was no longer in Limbo, but before an impressively large double doors, that gleamed gold.

I glanced behind, no longer seeing the Saiyans or the ghosts, and yet, I could feel their presence. Just waiting for my call. Further back, I saw our people move forward. Vega flew to my side, and everyone waited, watched me, wanting me to open the door, to open the path forward. I sighed at the attention. At it all and walked forward. Hands placed upon the golden doors and with a heave, they swung open.

The moment they did, the world was blinded by light. The gate shimmered and faced, revealing a familiar, and yet unfamiliar sight. The dragon way stood before me, cracked and broken. I walked, cresting the hill and beheld a ruined hall, likely where souls were checked in and decided. Down below, I saw the hints of Hell under the crowd cover. Ruined and desolate. Above, rubble floated about. Lost souls simply floated around.

Otherworld was in a state of disrepair, and I had no idea what that meant. I walked forward, noting how the ships of the fleet slowly breached the cloud cover, they didn’t go far, merely hovering near the entrance. Slowly filling out the space.

I walked towards the hall, followers in tow. There, I saw a familiar face, The Seer awaiting us. A grin on his face, no doubt having awaited our arrival for some time.

“It is good to see you here, Rettas.” I didn’t reply back. No, I looked up and past him, towards a single black dot in the sky. A black sun that seemed to cast the entire Otherworld into shadow.

“That is where the Majin is sealed.” I was surprised it still held, and yet, I saw a figure standing before the sphere. Silver hair, blue skin, silver eyes. They floated down. A staff in hand. Their intent clear.

“That… is the Angel.” The Seer supplied helpfully. I could see they were gearing for a fight, everyone prepared to help join in, but…

“Stay here.” I told them. They didn’t argue. “Vega, back me up.”

“Understood.” She complied and we flew up. I began channeling my ki, I didn’t go into Super Evil Saiyan Blue, instead, I focused on Ultra Ego Sign. I always had it working a bit in the background, slowly improving and bolstering myself. In all this time, like a jeweler cutting away at a gem, I had been doing the very same thing to my soul. The crimson jewel, now shone like a brilliant ruby. Each face of the ruby shone with a dazzling light, only needing a final touch to be completed.

A touch, the Angel would provide. Their presence didn’t really crash into us. I felt their ki, I felt it suffuse the area around me, but it wasn’t harsh. It was like a cool breeze. They didn’t move, but I felt it. They were everywhere and nowhere at once. Their presence had expanded such, that I knew, the figure before me wasn’t actually them. Merely a hazy outline.

I cranked up my ego, filling myself with my being. And I felt it. A fist appearing at my side, I blocked. A kick flew in the opposite direction at the same time, forcing me to twist. Yet, as if to mock my attempts a storm of blows followed, crashing into me.

They weren’t harsh. No, more like the falling rain. Each blow I could feel. I felt with startling clarity. Putting me under pressure, forcing me to confront what I already knew. To fight the Majin, I would need Ultra Ego. However, despite how dazzling my soul appeared, there was a minute fracture, a minute stress point. It was a result of our spiritual fission.

It was a small, near inconsequential flaw in my soul. It was also why I hadn’t pushed into Ultra Ego, since the moment I felt it, I knew, the second I activated it, I would be put on a timer. Perhaps, if I faced the God before, I would have won with Ultra Ego, but… I wasn’t content with simply winning the battle and losing the war.

My eyes were always set forward, believing that something, someone would provide a crucial piece to allow me forward, and my faith did not go unrewarded. Still, I highly doubt Vega realized this flaw in the soul. After all, Instinct and Ego are vastly different.

Instinct, is the expansion of the soul, but it puts immense pressure on the body. Expanding the soul, allows the user to absorb ambient ki, marking the surrounding world as your domain. Essentially, making the user omnipotent within the area, to an extent. Powerful strikes that overwhelm the domain, make Ultra Instinct Moot. And also, Instinct is akin to attempting to dye the ocean your color. With the soul being a single drop.

Ego was the opposite. Condensation of the soul to empower the body. On the surface, it stresses the body, but what it truly stresses is the soul itself. The body becomes as strong as the soul. With nigh infinite power, capable of reaching the heavens themselves. If, Instinct was to dye the ocean your color. Ego was to let that drop of color enter the ocean and stay whole. Submerging yourself deeper and deeper until, finally… You either break under pressure, your soul shattering, or you lose control and find yourself shooting back out of the ocean.

My soul was a brilliant ruby. Yet, that minor fracture meant, I could only go so far before something breaks. And breaks catastrophically…

Explosions rocked out. With a wave of their hands, the Angel sent out endless waves of ki, perfectly aimed and controlled. Larger blasts split into perfect threads weaving and winding themselves around the battlefield. Not a single ounce of energy was lost, their control perfect. Everything in the surroundings under their purview to perfection.

I couldn’t win. Not like this. Even if I transformed into Super Evil Saiyan Blue and went Kaio-Ken, pushing myself to the very limit. I would still not have enough ki to break the Angel’s domain. Which meant, I had to actually start the clock.

I inhaled. The crackling purple energy coursing just under my skin dimmed. A loud hum filled the air. I felt an incredible pressure bear down on me. Like I was swimming under water. Going deeper into the depths. I felt it trying to squeeze me, to pop me like a balloon. IN return, I felt my ki, my soul merge and resist. Filling my body to the limit, and then, with a loud crack. I felt a change come over me.

Lightning lanced out around me. Crackling and popping. Energy constantly lashing out from the conflict of my soul and creation itself. I felt like all of creation was on my shoulders, not unlike Atlas holding up the world and yet…

For the first time, I felt it. Chains, chains I had grown so used to having on. So used to pulling me down and holding me back. I felt them crack and break. Shattering away. Despite the weight bearing down on me, I never felt so light. So, free.

He Angel’s presence, was now nothing. Their domain unable to penetrate within a certain distance of me, as my soul rejects theirs. I sensed incoming blows and almost casually blocked them. Forcing my own reality into the surrounding space, forcing the Angel to properly confront me. But even then, it wasn’t enough. I flew unburdened, chasing the Angel, trying to land a blow to no avail.

They moved and weaved around my strikes with ease, taking care not to let me hit them. All the while, their energy continued to course and surge, aiming for Vega, when… I felt a change come over her. Nothing like the Angel’s presence, her own came storming over like a frothing tide. Instinctively, I felt my ego reject her, but… I didn’t need to. Her presence did not seek to make me hers. Or subsume mine. If anything, it wrapped around me, supporting me aiding me.

Speaking of her intent. I was her world. She would do anything for me. Sacrifice anything, for me. It made me want to laugh. But, I had other business to attend to. I charged forward, the Angel fled back, Vega followed up, launching out her own lances of ki to impact the Angels, a startling show of light blossomed around us. I gained ground, boosted by Vega’s presence. Urged onward by her intent and Instinct. And, it didn’t take long before I caught up to the Angel, I ducked under a swipe of their staff. Fist reared back to strike, when they smiled.

“Good enough.” Their words didn’t stop me, but a loud crack did. Followed by a torrential storm of energy. I fled back, and instinctively continued to flee back to our lines. I landed on The Ark, our main ship. Vega just behind me, and annoyingly enough, the Angel landed just beside her.

I didn’t have time to question them, not when I looked up and saw the black seal break. Countless figures spewed out. An absolute monstrous amount of Evil Ki flooded out into the world. Stray souls touched by the ki screamed and twisted, turning into horrifying creatures. They screamed and surged forward, only to be gunned down by our ship’s weapons and everything else.

I stared above in awe, as I saw the figures take shape. Countless Majin, and at the center, glowing an ominous red, was The Majin. I looked around, considered our positions and I stood tall. Folded my arms.

I gave my command. “SAIYANS! STAND FORWARD!” It was time for them to show their stuff.

Beginning of the Final Battle. As well as a resolution for Jake and his father, and an explanation of what happened during the God fight.

0