17. What if
193 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Consequently, her battle with the monster, while overpowering, seems futile as her attacks don't do any lasting damage. But Hana remains focused, thinking there must be a way to overcome this formidable opponent.

In a stunning acrobatic display, Hana executes a feinting double flip to shift the Devourer's balance and follows up with a heavy diagonal slash.

While flawlessly performing such inhuman feats, Hana carefully observes the Devourer's body.

The cut around the region equivalent to the solar plexus of a human body emits a bluish-white flame-like light. It appears as if the fleshless monster's body emits splatters of blood. However, the characteristics of the phenomenon happening right in front of her are entirely different.

"Regeneration ability, huh... Bad luck."

An involuntary wry smile escapes Hana.

She deduces, based on the two elements of the continuously moving body and the bluish-white flame that burns Devourer wounds, that the Devourer possesses a special skill called "Soul Body Regenerate."

This is a passive skill that allows the Devourer to purify and restore its injured body with spiritual flame. No matter how much it is cut and pierced, the undying Devourer recovers from its wounds.

It is a power that perfectly suits the embodiment of irrationality and is befitting of the mutant creature.

"Well then, if you're coming at me with that kind of feeling, I guess I'll change my approach a little."

However, faced with such a nightmarish ability, Hana never considers giving up.

On the contrary, her eyes fill with joy, as if she has finally met the treasure she has been seeking.

(Strong enemy, no sign of reinforcements. Fighting alone, all odds against me... But why am I feeling so excited?)

Hama, facing an opponent of a level she has never encountered before, is exhilarated.

An undying monster with an ability to negate her attacks.

That means there is no need to hold back, and she can fight with all her might — that is the only thing that matters to her. It is an event that makes her feel like crying tears of joy.

And so...

"Let's go! Black Dweller Sword, The Divine Spirit!"

Hana calls out to the spirit of her sword dwelling within her body.

It is not a simple energy utilization like enhancing her physical abilities, or a physical sword coming out. Instead, it's the unique ability of the spirit.

Finally, the time comes for Mitsukawa Hana to fully unleash her abilities as a swordsmaster, utilizing the Black Dweller Sword Spirit Ability.

(I finally... I finally can...)

She races across the ground, putting some distance between herself and the enemy to manifest the spirit's traits.

The Devourer doesn't seem to be chasing her. Hana focuses all her energy inward, attempting to release ability of her spirit.

(I can finally fight freely...)

Savoring the trembling, boundless joy, Hana mentally summons the image of her sword.

"UURRRUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!"

However, the Devourer doesn't miss the opening in Hana's heart.

"...Huh?"

The change is abrupt.

Hana's limbs, which are light as feathers just moments ago, suddenly become heavy and rigid, as if defying reality.

"What's... going on?"

With a sound, her katana slips from her hand and falls to the ground.

Her limbs don't respond as she tries to move them like hands and feet.

In search of the cause, Hana glances at her arms and then turns her head around with an expression of shock.

There, at the end of her gaze, are four holes.

Elliptical, crimson-black holes, just like the ones when the Devourer appears.

Something is extending from them, binding Hana's limbs.

(This is bad. I can't exert any strength.)

With each passing second, her sensations grow weaker. At the same time, whatever is binding her limbs becomes more distinct in outline.

Shapes become visible, and then colors.

(...Chains?)

They are reddish-black chains.

"I'm in trouble..."

Sweat trickles down her neck.

There is no question of resistance. Hana's limbs, bound by the chains, refuse to move like hardened plaster.

(These chains aren't normal...)

Hana deduces that the sensation of being bound is not simply due to physical strength, but knowing that doesn't change her situation.

She can't move, escape, or fight.

The strengths of the girl, which lie in her speed, are completely sealed.

If there are any chances of a turnaround, it will be her contracted spirit, Divine Spirit Black Dweller Sword ability. Unfortunately, in her current state, she can't use it.

Now, she is a swordmaster whose sword has been taken away.

Facing the abnormal disaster that is the mutant creature, this restraint is too significant.

Step by step, the Devourer approaches the girl.

Holding its large scythe and like black smoke, its body makes a clattering sound as it draws near.

"Heh, this is more thrilling than a mediocre B-grade movie."

Despite her light-hearted joke, Hana instinctively senses that the situation is becoming desperate.

Her body can't move, and the enemy is almost unharmed. She can't use her last resort.

(Everything is amazing... The world is so vast.)

Even in such a situation, the emotion that surges from Hana's heart is joy.

Even when she faces a hopeless situation where she can't move, and her only option is to wait for death, she finds herself grateful for the existence of this unreasonable and powerful foe.

(I guess I really was naive. Just by stepping outside, I found such an exhilarating situation where I couldn't do anything. Ah, that's...)

Hana thinks from the bottom of her heart that she is so happy that it brings tears to her eyes.

If this is the most excitement she can feel before her end, then that is fine.

(There are so many things I could regret and reflect on, but for now, I'll fully embrace this defeat.)

To put it positively, it is spirited logic, and negatively, it could be seen as giving up too easily by this teenage girl.

However, there is no one here to understand or challenge the feelings of this vibrant teenager.

What is present there is only the appearance of a supernatural monster about to devour the girl.

With clattering bone sounds, the Devourer raises its scythe, intending to reap the troublesome life.

"Sorry, Ame-tan..."

The girl closes her eyes softly, accepting her own end.

In the last moment, she feels a little odd about the emotions she holds, which turn out to be an apology to her little sister. As usual, Hana chuckles wryly, saying, "Oh well..."

--

And so, the short life of Mitsukawa Hana comes to an end.

The death of this young girl, beloved for her talent, is mourned, lamented, and regretted by many.

However, the story does not end here.

Her brilliant skills and talents inherit by the worst existence imaginable.

That existence is none other than the culprit who kills the girl and then devours her soul—the mutant entity Illegal, whom Hana calls the Devourer.

Combining the power of a mutant, Hana's skills, and her contracted spirit, The Divine Spirit, Black Dweller Sword, this grotesque monster later becomes known as "Shura Princess," devouring many adventurers.

Her talent does not extinguish in death but is instead misused as a tool for killing, trampling on her dignity and pride—a hellish act that even Hana, who accepts her own death, cannot bear.

"Please... End me."

The torment inflicted upon the pitiful girl does not end until the moment when the Devourer is defeated by none other than her own little sister.

Hana's fate.

Hana's destiny.

Hana's conclusion.

It cannot be overturned or resisted. Hana dies here, and her soul and talent will be continually exploited as a monstrous weapon to kill others.

A tragedy, or perhaps a noble sacrifice to make others shine.

Her role as the Devourer weapon is an inevitable part of history's course.

Hence, the wheel of fate continues to turn, accurately killing Hana once again.

And this encounter is supposed to be absolute.

--

With a roaring reminiscent of a large carnivorous beast, the Devourer's body blows away.

As Hana opens her eyes, startled by the commotion, she finds a menacing man standing there, with a chain in his hands and a smile on his face.

She recognizes his face. In fact, she has memories of being silently chased by this man not too long ago.

"Um, what are you?" The question that slips from her mouth is not "who" but "what."

It might come across as rude, but considering she has been silently pursued, it is only natural for her to be on guard.

"Well, let's see. First of all, you can relax. I'm neither a stalker nor someone chasing after you. Now, with that in mind, let me introduce myself. My name is Tatsuya Kurogan.

Actually, it's wrong. I'm chasing after you to take you with me to challenge dungeons, I want to challenge every dungeon, and I want you to come with me on an exciting journey,"

He replies in a surprisingly cheerful voice, wiping the sweat from his forehead.

As the wheel of fate turns, cracks of "what if" begin to appear.

 

6