Chapter 8 Don’t fear the reaper.
109 5 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Who is best girl? (This doesn't just apply to the women he will be dating)
  • Catgirl Kara Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Dr. Emma Winters Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Dr Florance Rose Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maggie the Magpie Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Sinda the Sandwitch Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mayor Harris Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tena the Satyr Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Yenor Emberwood Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Orga Gutripper Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Gillie Fosrocket Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 14

(Steven Edwards)

The next few days were peaceful… well mostly. The monsters were a bit bothersome. I had the idea for the system now. It would give me a few weak monsters, two or three mid range and one hard one. I faced a few more crabs, grubs and snot slugs, but also a few rats and something called a whip bug. Think of a beetle with a long whip-like antenna. I had a few marks on my back from that. Kara had to save my butt that day and I’m going to ask no one judge me for needing to be saved by a little girl. She was becoming a lifesaver. I was a bit eager today as in just a few hours I’d be harvesting my first crop. I already had a few more plots ready to go and just wanted to see how much I could get before I sunk everything into the next crop. I had managed to get my first gold yesterday so it was almost halfway to paying off the house. I dropped off Lu-Shi at Yanor’s place and jogged back to the farm. Today was five large flies, three crab grass and another freaking rabbit. I sent a message to Kara to tell her about that one. Sorry but, death by bunny was still not on my mind. That is so much nope for me. The flies only took one swing of my shovel, the crab grass was just as easy, just taking a bit longer. I ran up to my crops.

WHEAT CROP. FERTILIZER HORSE DUNG x3 = HEALTHY= 5% BONUS, LEVEL BONUS= 3% TIME REMAINING 0 DAYS, 0 HOURS, 15 MINUTES BONUS TOTAL= 158% YOUR CROPS ARE HEALTHY AND HAPPY

Still have to wait fifteen minutes. This was going to take forever. I started plowing some new plots while keeping an eye on the murder bunny. My crops were tall and pale green waving in the wind. I jumped up and cheered the moment I saw the stocks turn a golden yellow. I sat for a moment making sure I was fully rested before pulling out my sickle. I had a huge goofy grin on my face as I chopped the first plot as I hummed don’t fear the ripper.

6 UNITS OF WHEAT HAVE BEEN ADDED TO YOUR INVENTORY. YOU HAVE EARNED 20xp AND GAINED THE TITLE “THE REDNECK”.

 

I smiled and quickly collected the other two. The second gave me eight and the last one gave me seven. I now had twenty-one units of wheat. I had no clue how much it would be worth, but I was more than happy to find out soon. A quest window popped up and I blinked at the window.

QUEST ACCEPTED. “MAKING THAT DOUGH” TAKE HARVESTED WHEAT TO GELLIE FOSROCKET.

How the hell do I find that person? Why don’t I get a choice in doing this quest? I just frowned at the quest window as it faded and a green arrow was placed on the ground pointing to town. I turned my head and watched the arrow bend. It was transparent and just stayed there. I took a step and it moved with me. This was too cool. I wonder if we could do this in the real world for those who get lost all the time? I followed the helpful Mr. Arrow to the other side of town. It took me to the river where I met Heinz and then went to a small trail leading north. After a few minutes I came across a water wheel that seemed in disrepair. The wheel wobbled and a small green body was laying face down in the dirt. I walked up and saw it was a female goblin. I froze thinking she was dead until I saw her chest rise and fall. She was about two feet tall with a long nose and bright red hair. She wore a pair of shorts that seemed a bit tight and a small brown vest that barely covered her. I leaned down and shook her shoulder. “You okay?” I asked. She swiped at me with long red claws, nearly taking out my eyes.

“Go away unless you have grain or a drink.” She said gruffly.

“I have grain, sadly no drink though.” I said in my friendliest voice. She jumped up in a flash and grabbed my shirt collar pulling me down to look right into her bright red eyes. It was a little close and the woman badly needed a shower. It smelled like she bathed in cheap whiskey. 

“If you are lying, I’m taking your manhood with me. With or without you attached.” She growled at me. I held my hand out to the little firecracker and smiled as I inwardly freaked out. She looked at me with a worried expression on her face but took my hand anyway. Her eyes lit up and she jumped in the air cheering madly. It made her small body move in a strange way that should make some guys happy. Hey, not going to kink shame anyone.

YOU ARE OFFERING GILLIE FOSROCKET 21 UNITS OF GRAIN FOR 1 SILVER EACH. ACCEPT (YES) NO

 YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE QUEST “MAKING THAT DOUGH” YOU HAVE GAINED 1 SILVER AND 5xp. YOU ARE NOW A LEVEL 5 FARMER

I stood there slack jawed as I now had a little over three gold. The tiny goblin woman charged inside, slammed the door and started singing. Not even a thank you. I just laughed and went into town. Mayor Herris was in the market in her normal place. She growled as I walked up to her. “What now? Before you ask, you aren’t my type.” Not even going to go there. I smiled and held out my hand. She raised an eyebrow and took my hand.

YOU ARE OFFERING TO PAY THE REMAINING MORTGAGE ON OLD ROCK FIELD FARM. REMAINING PAYMENTS 2 GOLD ONE SILVER. ACCEPT (YES) NO

 

She just stood there for a moment and then got very angry for some reason. “Does this mean your dumb ass is now wanting to run for mayor?” I just stood there in shock, not sure how to take her outburst.

“Why would I run for mayor?” I asked, outraged. She grabbed her chest and took a deep breath.

“Heroes can run for the mayor of a town once they own property in that town. You had me worried that you could try to steal my job. I don’t what to think of what this town would be like under your rule. You might make miniskirts a mandatory thing for all women.” I shook my head and let the thought crossed my mind. It did sound like a fun idea, but then I remembered that little children were in this town and shook my head.

“Hell’s gate no. I just want to be a farmer. Only a farmer. Nothing else.” This woman’s mind seemed to go to some weird places That I didn’t want any part of.

“Now that you do own it, you may want to go visit Ogra. She lives on the edge of town to the south near the woods. She is our woodsman and a carpenter. She can be a bit much for some.” I followed the path out of town once more and on the edge of the forest I found a cute cottage with a small trail of smoke drifting up from a chimney. If Sinda’s house looked like an evil cottage, this one looked like a sweet old grandmother lived there. I almost expected the smell of a cooking pie to be on the windowsill.  I took a breath and knocked. A huge figure opened the door, nearly making me jump out of my skin. She was almost seven feet tall with dark green skin. Small white tusks poked from her lower lip and her long dark purple hair was done into a braided ponytail laying over her shoulder. She had muscles that Arnold would be jealous of. Dark brown eyes looked down at me in an almost worried expression crossed her strong looking face. She wore a bright pink apron, covered in white flowers and under that was leather pants and a black tank top. The voice that came to me was shy and soft.

“What… what do you want from me?” She asked as she moved those massive arms in front of her in a shy way. It was like a bodybuilder behaving like a shy schoolgirl in an anime. It took a moment for my brain to catch up.

“I was told to talk to you about working on my house. Can I have a catalog or something?” She bit her lower lip and looked away, blushing.

“Umm. I have one. Hold on.” Her voice was so soft I could barely hear her. She returned with a small booklet that had a list of prices and times. “Did… did you need anything else?” She asked as she bit her lower lip and rubbed her arms together.

“Thank you very much for that. I will be seeing you soon once I make up my mind.” I held out my hand and she squeaked and closed the door quickly. How the hell is someone that big that shy? Walking back into town, I went to see Tina and was shocked to see the change in stock. I needed new supplies if I was going to grow more and build my farming empire.

TOOLS SELECT A MATERIAL= WOOD STONE (IRON)

IRON HOE 5 SILVER

IRON SICKLE 5 SILVER

IRON BUCKET 4 SILVER

IRON SHOVEL 4 SILVER

Yeah it may be a little before I reach that point. I moved over to the crops and was just as shocked.

 

SELECT A CROP TYPE= TREE MUSHROOM HERB (VEGETABLE) FRUIT NON EDIBLE

SELECT A LEVEL OF CROP 1 2 (3)

GOLDEN ONIONS (SPRING) GROW TIME (9 DAYS) 3 SILVER PER 2 BULB

PURPLE CABBAGE (SPRING) GROW TIME (4 DAYS) 1 SILVER PER 3 SEEDS

HAPPY OATS (SPRING) GROW TIME (12 DAYS) 1 SILVER PER 5 SEEDS

I bought one golden onion and five happy oats. That would leave me seven silver to my name. Not a bad amount, but not enough for herb gathering. Maybe in a few days. On my way home I got the notification that Kara had taken out the rabbit. I went home and planted my seeds, fertilized them and watered them. It was now late afternoon and I needed a small break. I sat on the porch and looked at the catalog. It was written in soft block letters. Reminded me of an old comic book

BASIC CATALOG OR BUILDINGS, UPGRADES AND FURNITURE

UPGRADES AND BUILDINGS NOTE 1 UNIT OF WOOD IS 2 SILVER

UPGRADE HOUSE FROM 2 BED TO 3, 5 GOLD, 16 UNITS OF WOOD 3 DAYS OF TIME

CHICKEN COOP 1 GOLD 5 UNITS OF WOOD 1 DAY OF TIME

RABBIT CUNICULTURE 1 GOLD 6 UNITS OF WOOD 2 DAYS OF TIME

TOOL SHED 1 GOLD 3 UNITS OF WOOD 1 DAY OF TIME

COW PASTURE 10 GOLD 60 UNITS OF WOOD 9 DAYS OF TIME

BASILISK ENCLOSURE 15 GOLD 100 UNITS OF WOOD 12 DAYS OF TIME

There were others listed, but the price kept going up. I didn’t even want to look at the flying unicorn prices.

PAGE 2 FURNITURE

2 PERSON BED FRAME 1 GOLD 5 UNITS OF WOOD 3 DAYS OF TIME

WOODEN BATH 1 GOLD 5 UNITS OF WOOD 5 DAYS OF TIME

FLOWER BOX 1 GOLD 2 UNITS OF WOOD 3 DAYS OF TIME

ROCKING CHAIR 5 SILVER 2 UNITS OF WOOD 4 DAYS OF TIME

DRESSER 5 SILVER 4 UNITS OF WOOD 3 DAYS OF TIME

SPECIAL ORDERS CAN BE MADE, BUT ARE SUBJECT TO REJECTION IF THE PROPER OFFER IS NOT MADE.

Well a rabbit cuniculture may take me a bit too. Why did everything cost so much. Maybe other Heroes would have an easier time making money. The bed and rocking chair sounded nice. I pictured watching the crops grow from my porch rocking in the evening sun. I closed the catalog and made my way over to the herb field where Heinz had taught me about the different herbs. Without him here, I couldn’t tell one plant from another. I thought I had remembered the look of some of them, but somehow he made them stand out more. Must be an herb seeing or something. I needed that damn skill. Well maybe I could catch frogs for the next two days or sell off some of my crap for the extra coin. Walking back into town, I saw Heinz coming out of a house. The poor guy had to almost crawl out of the door but looked happy and healthy. He waved at me and smiled.

“You can't pass me until you answer these questions three.” He said, his normal scary smile in place. “Did you have a good breakfast?” I nodded and smiled back at him. “Did you harvest your crops.” I gave him a thumbs up. He roared and grinned at me. If any other troll had done that, I may have needed a change of pants. “Did you know Lu-Shi is trying to talk Yanor into making her a doll?” I blinked at his question stunned as he smiled.

“I did not know that. I may have to pay some extra to Yanor to make that happen.” I said, crossing my arms. He smiled at me and looked over his shoulder.

“Are you here to see Lusinda?” He asked, stepping aside. I nodded and walked in patting my friend on the arm.

“I have some junk floating around that I don’t need. She may find some of it useful.” I said to his back.

“Friend Steven. I’m off to pick herbs for the village, feel free to join me if you have time.” I waved at him and entered the house. The kind old alchemist was standing on a stool and grinding an herb into paste. The shop smelled of growing things and mint. It was a pleasant aroma that was almost overwhelming, like going through a scented candle isle of a store.

“Hello Steven, what can I do for you?” She was a sweet old woman wearing an oversized purple robe that had a few stains on it. I held out my hand with a question on my face.

“I have a bunch of junk but no clue what you may find useful.” I said with a shrug. She chuckled and took my hand.

“Well, lets see what you have and we will go from there.” She hummed and muttered as she looked through it. “Can't do anything with the tools, dung or grass...” I smiled at her.

“I had hoped to keep those.” I said happy she didn’t want those.

“Yes, yes. A poisoned stinger, nice. Snot balls, you have a fair number of those. You can sell the meat to Maggie and the grass to Pop.” Maggie. Hadn’t thought of that. I felt like an idiot, Kara had to be selling her meat to someone. “I can offer you a copper per snot ball and two silver for the stinger.” I agreed and watched them fade from my inventory and six silver and seven copper flood in. I was getting closer to my herb skill.

“Thank you very much for the coin and the info about Maggie.” I said bowing to her. It felt like the right thing to do. She hooted and slapped my hand with the grinding stick thing she was using.

“It was the least I could do for bringing me that big teddy bear of a troll. He is so useful and has helped me get the things for a number of healing potions and medicinal poultice. Also watching him play with the kids is a delight.” She said giggling like everyone’s old grandma. I wonder if Popcorn dude would like her?

“I am grateful you guys gave him a chance. He needed us as much as this town needed him. It also means if I fail at crops that you guys don’t starve.” I said rubbing the back of my neck. She smiled at me and shooed me out the door. Maggie was sweeping her stoop as I ran up. “Hi Maggie. Do you want some meat?” I asked with a friendly smile, holding out my hand. She looked down at my pants and smiled.

“Depends on what you mean.” She sighed with relief as she looked up to see my offered hand. “Thank the great bird. You had me worried there for a moment. You do have a reputation, you know, you know.”

“What do you mean?” I asked with worry filling my heart. Had I become known as a thug or gangster?

“You know, you know. The women who seem to be around you all the time. It’s like you are a playboy or something. I’d be flattered, but furry people aren’t my thing, no no not at all. Monkey men just don’t hold a candle to us bird folk. Yes yes” I frowned at her as she took my hand. What the hells was she talking about?

“I wish I was the monster you think I am.” I said in mock outrage. She tweeted in a weird high pitched laugh. She made some weird chirping sound as she looked through my stuff.

“The bug meat I could make a meat pie out of. Could be tasty with the right herbs and crab meat is always good. I can give you five silver for all of it.” I smiled and watched my bag get a bit lighter. I now had one gold, eight silver and seven copper to my name. This was turning out to be a great day. I ran off to find Heinz. He was picking herbs in the field I had left this morning. This time the herbs popped into my sight clearly. He waved at me and I went to help him. A few hours later we stopped as the sun was starting to set. If this was the wrong way to play this game, I’d rather play something else. This is fun, relaxing and my life.

“Thank you for the help my friend.” He said smiling as he hummed with happiness.

“Turnabout is fair play.” I said, holding out my hand and offered the herbs to him. He frowned at me.

“I can’t take this.” I grabbed his hand before he could argue or get away.

“You can and you will. You need the coin so you can put some nice things in your new place.” I said with a smile. He nodded and took the offered herbs. I left and went to Yanor’s place. I knocked and waved for her to come outside. She seemed a bit worried as she got up and closed the door behind her. She seemed troubled as she frowned at me.

“If you are asking me out, I am flattered, but I’m a bit old for you.” She said putting her hands on her hips. I sighed wondering how far this rumor went. Who the hells was telling everyone that I was some wild womanizer?

“Gods what rumors are you girls telling about me? No. I was told by a friend that another friend of yours was asking for something.” I said nearly growling at the elf. She huffed and crossed her arms.

“No I’m old for Heinz too. He is appealing, but not my type.” She said with a scoff. I growled in frustration and mouthed the words toy doll. Her eyebrows came together in confusion before her eyes went wide and pointed inside. I nodded. “If you are worried about being overheard, you’re correct. Now I can make one, but I can’t do it for free.” I nodded and took a breath.

“I expected that. Do you have enough for three?” She looked confused again. I put my hands up on the top of my head to mimic cat’s ears and held up two fingers and then my hands out to the side of my head like an elf’s ears and held up one finger. She nodded and laughed as she looked at the door. 

“I barely have enough for three, but can you put in a few units of cotton so I can get some more fabric? I can’t work on it without being seen though.” She frowned looking at the closed door, knowing the three were probably listening in.

“What if I take the girls while you work on them?” I asked, rubbing my neck. She looked a bit shocked at that. It was like the offer had never crossed her mind.

“You could, it would be nice to go back to being a seamstress again. Are you sure you can watch them for three days?” I nodded almost doubtfully at her question. I know I’m a big manly man, but I know how to look after kids. I hope anyway. I might need to borrow her ball if things go south or lean on Heinz if they get too bored.

“All I do all day is work on the farm or go pick herbs with Heinz so that should be fine.” she held out her hand.

“Now the painful part. I need one gold and five silver.” She said with a wince. I took a deep breath and took her hand.

 

YANOR IS OFFERING YOU SIX BREAKFAST MEALS AND SIX LUNCH MEALS IN EXCHANGE FOR SERVICES IN TAILORING FOR 1 GOLD 5 SILVER ACCEPT (YES) NO. YOUR REPUTATION WITH YANOR EMBERWOOD HAS INCREASED TO TRUSTED FRIENDS. SHE IS NOW WILLING TO TEACH TAILORING FOR ONE GOLD.

 

“You’re a good man.” She said with a sweet smile.

“It wouldn’t be right to make only one. Thank you for making sure they have food for those days.” I said slightly bowing at the elder elf woman. She nodded and touched my cheek.

“Only fair as you paid for it.” She said becoming her normal stern self.

“Still thanks. I’ll be taking them to dinner now. Thank you for everything.” I said turing to the door. She smiled sweetly at me and opened the door to see three pairs of large eyes looking up at us. Lu-Shi stood proudly and smiled.

“Good, we get to play on the farm for the next three days.” She proclaimed  no shame in that ones mind or actions. I chuckled and took the girls to supper. They talked animatedly as we walked. Inwardly I sighed as I was now back down to three silver and seven copper. It was a payday too. Well, easy come, easy go. At least I wouldn’t have to worry about dropping off Lu-Shi in the morning. As we walked back I saw Tina walking to her store. She stopped and vanished from view only to reappear back around the corner. I froze and watched this two more times. The twins jumped up and down. They cried out together.

“Goddess please look after Tina a the great evil Glitchous is after her.” They said together. She suddenly froze and blinked several times. She soon started for her shop again and actually reached the door this time. Well, glitches do happen in all beta games. It was good that the others had a way to report them. My thoughts went back to the present. I’d have to remember to tell Kara to drop off her girls at my place. Not sure how she’ll feel about that. I hoped it would work out. We all sat at our normal spot and saw most of the town in the tavern. There seemed to be a buzz of excitement. A smell wafted through the air and I smiled at the scent of baking bread. It was pleasant and made the place feel more like home. Maggie came out and gave a trill of joy.

“Steven you grub steeler, you didn’t tell me your first crop was wheat and so much of it. We haven’t had bread in ages. If I had only known I would have taken you up on your offer. Yep yep.” She said in excitement as her feathers puffed up. 

“I only ever offered you meat.” I said in a huff. She gave me a wink and smile.

“I know. I know, that is what I was talking about. Your meat.” She trilled with laughter and some of the others joined in. “At the very least let me offer you a drink on the house. Wine, beer or ale?” She asked as she set water in front of us.

“I’d love a wine. Thank you could we also have five bowls of stew and two loaves of bread.” she trilled, but shook her head.

“Only one at the moment as I want to make sure everyone gets some before it’s gone.” She said a feather crest rising on the top of her head in shame. I nodded and smiled at her.

“That is more than enough. I may have to plant some more wheat soon.” She trilled with joy and hopped to the back at my words after taking my money. After a while Kara came in and looked around worried. She slid into her seat and sniffed the air. Her ears went up and she looked at me with surprise on her face as her tail waved quickly.

“Bread?” She asked and I nodded at her.

“Can we talk outside for a moment, away from the girls?” She nodded, but her ears went back and her tail fell at my words. She followed me out and around the side of the building. “Do you think the girls can hear us back here over the noise of that place?” She shook her head and looked at the ground.

“No too much… noise.” I smiled not sure why she was upset. Did someone tell her about my plan?

“Good. Would you be okay with me watching the kittens for the next three days?” I said after taking a deep breath. She tilted her head in a question. “I’ve asked Yanor to make dolls for those three.” I said pointing my thumb inside the inn. Suddenly there was an impact on my chest and strong small arms wrapped around my neck. I reached out and held the small strong woman who was rubbing her cheek against mine. I chuckled and just waited for her to calm down. I made the right call after all. “I take it that is a yes?” Her tail stood on end and she jumped down and pulled her hood up looking at the ground. She just nodded quickly. “What brought that on?” She shook her head unwilling to look up at me.

“Good… happy.” She said in a clipped voice/

“You were happy about the dolls or me taking care of the girls?” I asked. She just looked at the ground, her tail swishing back and forth.

“You got… them one… too.'' She had been talking to me every day and it seemed to be helping.

“Why wouldn’t I? It wouldn’t be fair if only Lu-Shi got one. Also the three of them can play together. You seemed worried when I asked you out here. What did you think I was going to ask?” her tail stood on end and she just shook her head. What was she thinking?

“Nothing… food ready.” She said quickly doe her, turning stiffly and walked quickly back inside. I chuckled and followed her. The wine was amazing and there was a plate of some strange bits of meat covered in light butter and herbs. It turned out to be the crab and it was amazing. I really loved those slow moving beasts now. The girls loved every bite and I drained four glasses of the house wine. Three others bought me a glass of wine for the bread. More wanted to, but I was already feeling it hit my system and still needed to walk home. Pop wouldn’t take no and offered me another, but I passed it to Kara. She sniffed it and took a breath before downing it in a gulp. She leaned back and let out a deep growl as she looked over at me and gave a slight smile. “Happy. Good man… happy you came.” The wine seemed to help her with talking and her tail lashed behind her as her ears focused on me.

“Does that mean you are going to tell me what you were worried about?” I probed hoping it wasn’t too bad. She looked away and frowned.

“Worried you were… bored.” I frowned at her, not sure what that meant.

“Bored of what?” I asked as  she looked at me with those huge green eyes, fear a bit visible on her cute face.

“Bored of me.” She squeaked and turned away, blushing. I leaned over, the wine filling me with a bit more bravery than I felt, and kissed the top of her head quickly. She squeaked again and pulled her hood up covering her face and looking at the ground.

“Kara, you and the girls could never leave me bored.” She looked at me, her face a bit red to match my own.

“Other girls?” She asked as she pointed at Maggie and then to Tina.

“No. Gods these damn rumors. I’m not trying to build some harem or trying to jump into anyone’s bed. I just want to be a farmer and a good papa. Right Lu-Shi?” I slurred as I turned to the now giggling young girls.

“Papa is a silly drunk.” She said smiling. Meta or was it Leta added

“So is big sis.” Kara reached out and swiped at the offending kitten’s ear. It was a mock swipe and easily dodged by the now laughing girl. I joined in and waved in my seat.

“You three should get going, see you in the morning.” I said with a smile. Kara leaned on my arm and looked up at me. A goofy grin on her face.

“Happy. Happy… see you soon.” She reached up with a closed hand and pawed at my chin before looking down, her face covered again. I held out my hand and Lu-Shi took it, leading me home after I paid the bill. I was down another silver and two copper. I’d need to plant more wheat in the morning. These people love their bread.

 

{ZeroGiven40}

If you were playing the game his way, would you stick with normal crops and normal animals or would you build your empire first? 

8