A place to stay
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

 

     The strange looking man led me down a hallway of pure white. He wore a strange golden mask of a face, slightly twisted. Covered by the white and gold hood of his robe, which extended to the floor. Making it look like he floated as me moved swiftly and silently across the floor. The hallway seemed to stretch on to eternity, then I blinked, and the hallway came to an end.

     “Welcome to the Tower,” the masked figure said. His voice unmuffled. 

     “What's the tower?” I asked, staring at the large building, it was massive, made of some black material with large openings periodically. I was too far away to make out anything through them. It stretched up into the sky so high it faded from sight.

     The man shook his head and pointed to a building that wasn't there a second ago. I turned to ask him what it was, but he was gone. When I turned back, the building was still there. Seeing that it’s the only building, I guess I’ll go there. This place is strange. I keep walking, but it doesn't feel like I'm getting any closer. Though the more I walk, the more things appear. 

     Where I was walking on nothing, dirt and grass appeared. In the distance trees, mountains and rivers. And in front of me was the Tower, and the lone building. The sky slowly turned more blue, a bright yellow sun hung above me. After what felt like days with no change, I suddenly found myself standing at the door. 

     I grabbed the handle and pressed down on it, something lifted on the other side. The door swung inwards, gliding on silent hinges. The sounds of laughter, talking and merriment filled my ears as a bright light spilled out. He felt incredibly small as the door slowly opened.

     “Welcome lost soul,” a cheery woman's voice said the moment the door finished opening. “I imagine you must be confused,” she said, looking at me with a smile.

     “Yes,” was all he was able to utter.

     She smiled and beckoned him to the counter. “If you come here, I can help you.”

     He approached the counter, some people staring at him as he walked up. “Where am I?” he asked timidly.

     “You are in Andreth, the city at the end of time. It’s where all the tower adventurers stay, from the most humble beginner to our newest rising star, Ariel the Lion. This is also known as the city of new beginnings.”

     “How can it be the end and a new beginning?”

     “Well, the city is a nexus of sorts, it's a place where the souls of the dead gather. Those to whom the afterlife did not appeal. And those who were denied an afterlife for whatever reason.”

     “Am I dead then?”

     “I’m afraid so,” she said in a sad voice.

     “What happens now?” 

     “You need to be registered, then I will introduce you to the weapons trainer.”

     “Weapons trainer? Why do I need to be introduced to them?”

     “To receive training, of course. How else will you climb the tower?”

     “Why would I want to?”

     “Why, to receive fame, glory, and best of all a chance at a second life. Now, if you don't mind placing your hand on the glass orb,” she asked cheerily.

     He placed his hand on the orb, not reacting as it briefly flashed with light that wrapped around his wrist, forming into a crystal bracelet.

     “Let me just process your information. I’ll need a name,” she said, typing on some sort of crystal.

     “My name is An$&^%$*,” he said, his name coming out garbled.

     “Right, sorry, you’ll need a new name,” she frowned and apologized with a small bow.

     “Can you just pick a random one? I don’t really care what people here call me.”

     “Certainly,” she chimed. A smile played across her face as she tapped on the crystal plate. “How does the name Renatus sound?”

     “Whatever,” he replied coldly.

     She hummed as she continued to type something. As she worked, people milled about. Renatus paid them no mind as he watched the woman.

     "Ok, I’ve finalized your documents and given you the base allotment of Sols,” she said, not looking up at him. “Now, if you’ll follow me to the training grounds, we can get you set up with Palamon.”

     She walked to the end of the counter before beckoning him over. He followed her as she walked several paces ahead, clearly eager to be rid of him. She led him down a short hallway and opened a door. He could hear the sounds of combat from the other side. The clanking of metal on metal, people grunting, shouting and the whistle of arrows buzzing through the air.

     “Hey Palamon, I’ve got another one for you,” she said, dropping her formal tone. “Be a dear and explain things to him for me?”

     “Cant do it yourself?” He asked teasingly. 

     “God's no,” she waved her hand dismissively. “I have a large batch of souls being dropped in my hands.”

     “Alright, you’re lucky I like you,” he guffawed.

     She turned to the boy and said in that same businesslike tone from before, “Palamon here will instruct you in the basics you’ll need to survive.” She handed him a backpack and went back inside. Closing the door behind her, which disappeared into the wall.

     Renatus looked around the courtyard. The others assembled there had dropped all pretense of practice as they stared at the newcomer. They were mostly humans, but he recognized a few of them as fantasy races. Ashley read a lot of fantasy novels, and she loved sharing them with him. They didn’t interest him much, but he loved hearing her talk so passionately about them. 

     “Not much to ya, is there?” Palamon said examining the boy. The man stood several feet taller than him, and carried a sword on his back that was larger than Renatus. “So what be your name then?” 

     “Ren,” he said, offering his hand. The big man shook it, engulfing it entirely in his large hands.

     “Palamon,” he said with a smile. 

     “So, what am I doing here?”

     “You’re here to learn to survive. I assume she at least told you that you’re dead.”

     “Yea,” he said in a monotone. “I still don't know what that means, though.”

     “Well, I’m assuming you were at least given your band.”

     “This thing,” he asked, holding up his wrist. 

     “Yes, touch it with your fingers.”

     He followed the big man’s instructions and touched the band. A small screen appeared in front of him. “This is like a video game!” he said, reading the small screen which held his name and stats.

Name: Renatus LVL: 13
Sols: 200 Fame: 0
STR: 37 CON: 29
AGI: 33 WIS: 17
INT: 25 LCK: 15
Skills
           

     “This is a basic representation of your abilities, it will also list any skills you have learned or can learn. As well as the contents of your inventory. It also serves as identification and gives the branch an indication of your abilities. Which is represented by your level, I don’t really know how it works, but it’s based off your skills and abilities. It also tracks how many Sols you have.”

     “What are Sols?”

     “Sols are the currency used in Andreth, they pay for everything, food, lodging, training, and equipment. They are also used to increase your stats.”

     “How?”

     “You offer them to the gods, and they grant you strength. What is your current level?”

     “Uh thirteen,” he said looking at the menu.

     “That's good, most people come in at level five or less. The other thing Sols are used for is to live,” he began.

     “What do you mean live?” Ren interrupted.

     “At eight in the evening every day, Sols are deducted to keep you alive. The amount is four times your level.”

     “What happens if you don't have the Sols?”

     “Then you take a debuff to your life, reducing your maximum health. You can do that four times before dying.”

     “How can someone who's dead die again?”

     “It's because we’re dead that we can die again. It takes power to keep us alive. That comes in the form of Sols.”

     “So what is the point then? Why bother persisting?”

     “Because if you die that way, it's a true death. One that you won't come back from.”

     “So this isn’t the end?”

     “I'm assuming you are a lost soul, you don't feel like a punished.”

     “What's the difference?” Ren asked, in the same even, uninterested tone.

     “A lost soul is someone who for whatever reason rejected their afterlife. A punished is someone who committed terrible deeds while alive. The main difference between them here is treatment. Lost souls are more favorably looked on by the gods and others, and they only need to climb the tower once to get their second chance.”

     “I don’t want to fight,” he said softly.

     “That would be a waste, you have decent talent already.”

     “I have nothing to fight for… the only thing I wanted is gone.”

     “I guess you’re in luck then. If you can live for a thousand years, you’ll get the option to be reincarnated, I have a friend who runs an inn that needs a helper. She’ll pay you enough to stay alive.”

     “Ok,” the boy said. 

     The big man frowned at him, shaking his head. “Alright, I’ll take you there,” he said before turning around. “Oi you lot, back to your drills, don't think you can slack just because I'm not here.”

     “Thanks,” he said.

     “No problem, I do think you’re wasting your potential, though,” he sighed. “Follow me.” The big man led him through a fence gate and out onto a busy street, people making way for the big man as he strolls nonchalantly down the street. People instinctively making way for the big man. Ren felt like a child in his presence. 

     They walked for twenty minutes before he heard the sounds of laughter and music. The big man walked up the steps of a fancy looking building. Surprisingly, he didn't have to duck when entering the door. Ren figured there must be a lot of larger races here.

     “PAL!” A woman squealed excitedly. “It's been a while.” 

     “Hey Sara,” he smiled, his cheeks turning slightly pink. 

     “Who's that?” she asked, seeing Ren peek around the large man.

     “Lost soul, he needs a place to live and work. And I heard y'all were looking for some help.”

     “We've been looking, but no ones been interested. Young man, come out, so I can see you,” she said gently. Ren stepped out from behind Palamon. “I'm afraid we can't really offer much. A hundred Sols a day, a room to stay in, and a free meal.”

     “That's fine,” Ren said softly.

     “Ok, if you’ll follow me, I’ll show you to your room,” she said gently. Before lifting the counter gate and leading him up a flight of stairs. “This floor has the break room, and it’s where I live, you’ll be up the stairs in the attic.”

     “Okay.” 

     She pointed at a small ladder near the top of the stairs. Which he climbed, Sara staying at the bottom. “There's a bed, and wardrobe up there, you’ll find an outfit that should fit. If you need room for your clothes, you can take the ones that don't fit and leave them on the small table by the door. There's a bathroom on the second floor that you can use. The rest of the day is yours, someone will wake you up in the morning and teach you what you’ll need to do.”

     She smiled at him and left him to explore his room. As she walked, back downstairs, he turned and opened the door to the small room. On one wall there was a bed with a simple blanket and a cheap looking pillow. The only other thing in the room was a wardrobe. He collapsed on the bed and cried himself to sleep.

 

*****

 

     “That will be fifteen Sol please,” Ren said in his usual flat tone. The cat folk customer tapped his bracelet and manifested three lights which turned into silver coins. Which he handed over. “Thank you, have a great day,” he gave a slight bow.

     “Thank you Ren after you clean that table you’re done for the day,” Sara said as the cat folk left the tavern.

     “Okay,” he said, retrieving the tub used to clean up the dishes. Once they were put in the sink to be washed, he scrubbed down the table.

     “Here’s your Sol’s,” she cheerily said, holding out her wrist. Ren lifted his, and she tapped her bracelet against his. “Have you taken the opportunity to explore the town yet?”

     “No,” he replied.

     “You should,” she smiled and rubbed her arm awkwardly. “Anyway, have a good night.” 

     He nodded and made his way upstairs. Climbing upstairs, he grabbed the small tote of toiletries Sara gave him, and his old clothes. Before going to take a bath.

     I closed the door behind me, I don’t really feel like taking a bath, but I don't want people to complain to Sara. I feel bad enough as it is. She keeps trying to cheer me up. I don't know why, I'm not worth trying for. 

     “Ren,” Sara said, knocking on the door. “If you ever want to talk, I'm here. I just want you to know that you aren't the only one who’s had trouble adjusting. I hope you feel better soon.” 

     I heard her walk away, she's too nice. I don't deserve it.

0