Chapter 3: Divine Phoenix Island
127 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Silence. Overwhelming silence lengthened these mere moments to years. Even the disciple in front of me was still with incomprehension and fascination. This kind of result can mean one of two things: the sphere malfunctioned, which is unlikely, or my talent is so high it simply can’t be measured. He gestured for me to go to the right, still saying nothing, and I followed. The remaining fourteen people behind me had to be measured by hand, but it was not that hard since most of them were toddlers held by either their mom or dad. None of them passed, either. 

The silence continued for a bit longer until the people began whispering slowly. Gossip is a main entertainer in a primitive world such as this, and what I gave them is prime material.

The disciple turned back to Tang Shi and me and brought out a flying vessel. I didn't wish to assume he had a storage ring as ones of such a size are rare and expensive, but I was wrong. “Get on, and don’t lean over the edge. If you fall off, I won’t be able to catch you.” The disciple stated, completely serious. 

“Yes, sir!” Tang Shi and I chorused together. Throughout the three-thousand-mile journey, he continuously tried to find a question to ask me, but he was still uncomprehending. Halfway through the journey he finally settled on a single question: "How?”

I just shrugged, knowing no better response. I wanted to pretend to be Yun until I part ways with him; I can’t expose any foreign knowledge. To him, my talent was never tested, so he should think I was overlooked than me harbouring any kind of resentment. I never spoke to him or interacted in any way, any impression he might've had of me is fleeting and forgettable.


A few hours later, we finally arrived at Divine Phoenix Island. It looked splendid with its natural beauty and exquisite buildings and arrays. Truly a paradise for any mortal lucky enough to see it. 

We landed on a small courtyard close to the main hall of the sect. The disciple got off first, with us following close behind. He led us to the main hall for us to be presented to the elders and have our placement decided.

"Honorable Sixth Elder, today is a marvellous day for our sect," began the disciple, bowing, "for today I found a high fifth-grade talent and an immeasurable talent!"

"Oh? Immeasurable? How so?" Asked the Elder. 

"Honorable Elder, the sphere that measures talent shone brighter than I've imagined possible and shattered to dust. I don't believe it malfunctioned, as it was created by our great Elders, and so it only leaves the possibility of unprecedented talent!"

"Oh ho, interesting, interesting, I have never heard of that happening before. Which of the two is this immeasurable talent?"

"Elder, the kid with the rag-like clothing is the one with the talent."

As the Elder turned to me, I bowed and introduced myself, "I greet the honourable Sixth Elder, I am called Yun."

She had a neutral face that gave nothing. "And how old are you, child?" She asked.

"I am 11 years of age, Elder."

"And you have no family?" She inquired.

"No, Elder," I confirmed. From what I know of the Divine Phoenix Island, it is mostly a matriarchal sect that usually selects disciples from those families that were here from the founding, with the Mu family being the leader and current Sect Master. For them to select from outside, even from their tenant towns or subsidiary sects is rare and unexpected. I hope I gained someone's favour, as I really need someone’s protection; I can’t guarantee my own safety and prosperity yet.

"Hm. I need to bring this to the Sect Master. Disciple, take the other to outer disciple accommodations and return your spatial ring to where it was given to you. Yun will come with me." She made a gesture to follow her and started walking even farther into the main hall. Five minutes later we arrive on some kind of terrace, though much wider than normal, and part of it was uncovered. Maybe a platform for flight? 

"Young Yun, your hand please." The Elder requested, and I hesitated before presenting it. I must give at least some illusion of being a child in a foreign environment. The next thing I know, we were floating at a gentle place to the highest mountain peak of the island. 

We landed on another platform terrace, this one much more extravagant. She released my hand, and I fell into step behind her, following her to the inner sanctum of the Sect Master's peak. 

Some two-hundred steps later we arrived at a door, and the Sixth Elder knocked thrice, asking the sect master for permission to enter.

"Sister Fenghua, how may I help you?" The Sect Master, Mu Yuhuang, asked. She is a good-looking, forty-year-old woman, but don't let that deceive you, she is an old woman at over five-hundred years of age. The Sixth Elder herself isn't bad-looking and is much younger, but still in the hundreds. All the Elders are, as reaching revolving core with the talent present in the South of the Sky Spill Continent is the limit of most.

"Sect Master, one of the disciples we sent screening for talent returned with this young boy. Eleven years and already in the second stage of physical training. I know that's not much, but he did it with minimal resources and, pardon my language, the shitty training manuals of our tenant towns. When the talent measuring instrument attempted to discern his talent, the disciple stated it glowed as bright as the sun, shattering to dust in the process."

"Oh-ho, interesting. Child, come this way. Allow me to test your talent myself. A hand will do." The Sect Master urged me forward. 

"Yes, Sect Master." I closed the gap between us and presented a hand for her to use. As she took my hand in hers, I felt a surge of true essence flow into my body, before immediately being sucked into the Purple Card. She tried another three times, with more and more true essence, but it was all absorbed except for the largest of the attempts, to be used at a later time. She looked overjoyed.

"Hahahaha, good, good! What marvellous true essence absorption and limit!" The Sect Master looked over to the Sixth Elder, "You were right to bring him to me, sister, he may be more talented than Mu Qianyu and I, or even Mu Qianyu and Mu Bingyu combined!" The Sect Master exclaimed in excitement. The sixth elder gave a doubtful look, but remained silent. The Sect Master turned back to me, and continued, "Child, what is your name?"

"Sect master, this one is called Yun," I responded.

"Hm. Do you have no family?" She questioned.

"No, Sect Master," I confirmed again.

"Then how about this, child, accept me as your Master and I shall bestow you with the protection and resources you will need to prosper in my sect. In return, you must give your utmost efforts to cultivation, so you may one day bring glory to our sect. In return, I shall also bestow upon you my name, and you shall be called Mu Yun from then on,” The Sect Master proposed. 

I am unsure if she knew exactly what I was thinking, or if we both had the same train of thought, but this is exactly what I needed. I gave it a few moments to give the illusion of thinking it through before finally giving my answer, “I accept, Master!”

“Then give me nine bows, and accept me as your Master!” The elderly lady ordered, and I complied, no hesitance needed. “Good! Follow me to your new quarters," she turned to the Sixth Elder once again, "Elder Fenghua, I am sorry for ignoring you, but may I trouble you to summon the rest of the council for a meeting to announce my new personal disciple and discuss the repercussions?” The Sect Master asked of the Sixth Elder. 

“Of course, Sect Master.” She left with a bow.

"Follow me," called out my new Master, and I didn't hesitate to. "You are not my first disciple, and you probably won't be the last, Mu Yun, so I have an area where you may reside."

We emerged in the garden behind the Sect Master's residence, and another 3 buildings could be seen, residences for her disciples, probably. She was leading me to the one on the right. The one on the left seems to have someone inside if the energy fluctuations are read.

"Do you currently have any other disciples, Master?" I asked.

"Yes. Mu Qianyu is my only other disciple and she is one of the current Saints of our sect. She is in the residence on the left, in secluded cultivation, attempting to break into the middle Houtian stage. She should be done within a week, and then I can introduce you to her." She led me to the middle residence and proclaimed my ownership of it. "Now go get some sleep, I shall have someone deliver some robes for you to wear in the morning. Have a restful night. If you need me for anything, be it guidance, training, or resources, I stay in my hall most of the time." With her last message, she turned back, and walked away, leaving me to explore my new residence by myself.

Not that I'd be able to explore much, the day tired me out. The second I found the bedroom, I sank into the extremely comfortable bed and fell asleep.

This is probably the last chapter I'll release in quick succession, but who knows, if I get some inspiration, I'll write some more.

Edit note: I finally edited chapters 1-3. I'm not quite happy with them, so another round of editing will come eventually.

Edit 2: Another edit, though not as big as the previous one. It changed all numbers to words and added some text, but is otherwise the same.

5