Chapter 13 – Computer Engineering? Department of Virtual Reality Engineering!
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“Nice to meet you, new students”

 

“We are looking for new club members! If anyone is interested, bring your application papers!”

 

“New students? Everyone, please gather here!”

 

Seomin University freshman orientation.


Jaeyoung was walking around the campus, looking around with curious eyes at the crowds gathered here and there. From the people who come to advertise their club, to the student council executives who are holding an orientation, to the fresh new students who have just entered the school.

 

“Hmm… Still, the atmosphere isn’t as bad as I thought, isn’t it?” Jaeyoung muttered to himself while walking along with the other new students of the University.

 

Seomin University is ranked 81st in the national university rankings.

 

Considering the numerous unnamed universities located in the provinces, it was in the middle of the ranking, but it was never a good school to say so proudly, so if Jaeyoung was not in Seoul he probably wouldn’t have thought about entering it.

 

Jaeyoung imagined a gloomy atmosphere because there were so many students taking leave of absence and dropping out. Still, he thought of campus life as a university he watched long ago on a show with fresh green youth gathering, laughing and talking.

 

“Excuse me, are you a freshman?”

 

Jaeyoung turned around at the sudden sound calling him. Behind Jaeyoung stood a male student who looked like he’s a new student. He wears glasses, and clothes that look like he’s wearing a chubby figure.

 

It’s a preconceived idea, but just looking at it, he looks like someone who spends a long time in front of a computer desk. Jaeyoung nodded his head as he stared blankly at the person as he hesitated in answering the question with confidence.

 

“Yes, I am also a freshman student”

 

“Ah.. okay! Do you know where we should gather now? I came a little late because I came up from the province.”

 

“Ah yes, They seem to be just gathering together now, but I think you can just follow me.”

 

Feeling restless as if he thought he was late for the orientation, he let out a sigh of relief at the fact that it hadn’t started yet and started following Jaeyoung. Jaeyoung started talking about various things with him.

 

“Are you also taking computer science? Am taking up that department class cause I like gaming.”

 

“Uhh? Really? Me too so you have the same motive.”

“I know right, It’s a good motive anyway, so let’s talk to each other casually.”

 

“Th-that… Will it be ok?”

“Huh”

 

“That is… sure okay”

 

Jaegyun Lim, Although he seems a bit dull and lacking in sense, Jaeyoung was able to talk a lot with him in a short amount of time. As expected, Jaegyun was also a huge game fanatic.

 

“That Arcadia, you know a virtual reality game that came out this time. Didn’t something huge happen there this time? There are monsters called slimes, which suddenly became incredibly strong and destroyed the beginner village itself.”

 

“Okay?”

“Yeah, It really happened. Do you know any game company that would respond like that? They really wiped out the beginner village completely from the game. Isn’t that great? One quest in the game can have an impact on the whole game. This is a true gaming innovation!”

Jaehyun's excited voice must have been loud, but suddenly all the eyes of the people gathered in the lecture hall were focused on the two, and a person suddenly entered the lecture hall.

 

“Uh? Who is that person?”

 

Orientation is usually conducted through the department’s student council or seniors. However, what appeared on the podium in front of the classroom was none other than an elderly middle-aged man.

 

“New students, welcome to all of you. I’m Professor Kim Taehun of the Department of Computer Engineering.”

 

Old Professor and Senior Students in the Department of Computer Engineering. Not only the new students sitting in their seats, but also the student council executives standing behind were unaware of the fact that he appeared at the freshmen orientation, starting at him in bewilderment and whispering to each other.

 

Kim Taehun stood on the podium with a serious face, and looked at everyone and opened his mouth to continue.

 

“I’m sorry that I interrupted the orientation to welcome the new students, but I stopped by because I had something to say to all the new students and to the seniors who are already working hard in their studies in the Computer Engineering Department.”

 

When everyone focused their eyes on him at his words, Professor Kim Taehun started to announce and drop a bomb like info to everyone.

 

“You are probably familiar with the technology of virtual reality which is being announced in the media. Now that is revolutionizing the computer science world. And after a lot of discussion, we concluded that the curriculum of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, which has been going on so far, has difficulties in keeping pace with the current wind of changes.”

 

Virtual Reality

 

As Professor Kim Taehun said, the emergence of virtual reality technology has completely overturned the paradigm of related academia. Numerous knowledge has become obsolete, and countless technologies that cannot be understood the depth of it have been applied and utilized.


“So, after continued deep discussions with the school board and officials from the Ministry of Education, the final decision was made. From this year, ‘Computer Engineering Department’ will change the department name to ‘Virtual Reality Engineering Department’.”

 

“In addition, the department curriculum was also decided to be fully trimmed. However, as it is the beginning of a new semester, there will be no major changes right now. But starting next semester, things will probably change a lot. Therefore…”

In his words, the classroom started to stir. When he informed the freshmen students who had just entered the faculty they would enter would be completely changed, no one was shaken. However, just looking at the student council executives whispering to each other behind the scenes with expressions of complete ignorance, he could guess how hastily this was decided.

 

“We know that this change is confusing to you. However, if we do not adapt to the revolution that is blowing in the industry right now, the reality in front of you after graduation will probably be nothing but weed you out.”

 

Arcadia

 

Professor Kim Taehun encountered this game and felt fear beyond shock. It was not a bare virtual reality at the primitive and basic level of infancy. It was another reality that boasted flawless technology that perfectly embodied the five human senses. 

 

The fact that such technology was applied and came out into the world made him realize once again how shallow and humble his academic knowledge was.

 

That’s why he strongly demanded the entire board of directors, including the university president. Asking for a chance to change in line with the technology of virtual reality. If not, he would rather get rid of the entire department. Anyway, If he goes outside with the things he is learning at this school, he would be treated as a bug who cannot use the contents of his major anywhere. That’s why he looked at the freshmen sitting in front of him earnestly and said,

 

“You are at a great crossroads right now. Either adapt to the new changes and go out into society as an outstanding future talent, or become a young outcast because you can’t get out of the old way of thinking, let alone adapt to the changes. And by all means, I hope you all can keep up with the changes currently happening right now.”

 

He made a wish-like request and left the classroom. Even after Professor Kim Taehun left, everyone kept their mouth shut and immersed themselves in their own thoughts. And very different from the first atmosphere, the orientation ended formally in a hazy atmosphere.

 

A change that began amidst the concerns and confusion of many. But they didn’t know yet. This change, initiated by Professor Kim Taehun’s strong demand, is the beginning of Seomin University’s future growth into an engineering college leading the next generation future industry that opened the world’s first virtual reality department and fostered numerous virtual reality related talents.

 

* * *

 

“Ughh… It’s finally over.”

 

“Shall we go out and eat something?”

 

“Yeah sure”

After the orientation, Jaeyoung left the classroom with Jaegyun. The two of them went to the cafeteria together and bought a meal ticket. While waiting for the food to be served, Jaeyoung listened to a discussion on the extra large TV on the wall.

 

[Look at this! Now that virtual reality games have started service in Korea, does it make sense there are still no related laws?]

 

[Who the hell is it that said there is no related bill? Isn’t this situation started because everyone refuses to cooperate and tries to make laws according to each party’s interest! And we’re not alone. The United States also proposed a ‘virtual reality law’, but it has already been rejected with numerous objections.]

 

[That’s because it’s still assumed before the technology announcement, and the US has already urgently passed related laws and started preparing to nurture and grow related talents.]

 

[Isn’t it a technology that hasn’t even been proven yet! If a problem that causes even serious side effects to the human body is discovered, how can you promote it! We need to spend more time watching! Several medical papers have already been written about the many serious side effects that direct connection to the brain will cause…]

 

A discussion of current affairs that is arguably bloody enough. It was quite a sight to see the two panels arguing with red faces without even knowing they were spitting, but since the subject was also about virtual reality, both Jaeyoung and Jaegyun watched immersed without even knowing that the food was served already.

 

“Jaeyoung, don’t you play Arcadia?”

 

At Jaegyun’s question, Jaeyoung shook his head after thinking a little.

 

“Hmmm…, I want to, but the capsules are too expensive. I haven’t done it yet.”

He was talking that the high end capsule that occupied half of his room was a blatant lie, but Jaeyoung still did not want to tell Jaegyun that he was playing already. Especially since he is a user who plays the virtual game Arcadia.

 

-The first wish is to desire the murderer's identity, and the second wish is to be a hidden class, and the third wish will be me to be rich.

 

-Does anyone know the identity of the novice killer?

-Can’t you file a claim for damages? I can’t forgive him for destroying away my quest line for the Hidden Class.

 

The situation is already full of people who are enthusiastic to learn his identity. He doesn’t know, but Jaeyoung denied the question at first because it was unclear how he would react if he knew about Jaeyoung’s identity. Then Jaegyun nodded his head as if he understood.

 

“Well, isn’t it a bit burdensome to buy with college student pocket money? Because the entry level price is 10 million won.”

 

Ten million won. How many college students in the country can afford this high price, which is equivalent to the price of a used car? Of course, the installment policy was excellent, but it was not at a level that the poor college student’s pocket could afford.

 

Of course, there were a few people like Jaeyoung who signed an installment contract like a slave contract as if they were selling their souls to the devil.

 

“So, are you playing Arcadia?”

 

Jaeyoung questioned. At that question, Jaegyun simply smiled and nodded.

 

“Even if I look like this, my level is quite high.”

“O-okay?”

 

“Let me know if you ever start, I’ll help if I can. These days, the locations where new characters are created are all random, so it might be difficult for you at the start, but that’s okay.”

 

Jaegyun speaks with a confident face. Seeing him like that, Jaeyoung took it lightly.

 

“Okay, I’ll tell you when I do get to play in the future.”

 

“lol, then.”

 

Jaegyun puts a spoonful of rice with a pleasant smile. Seeing him like that, Jaeyoung also started eating. That’s how Jaeyoung made his first college friend.

 

No one knows these two yet, but later people will look at these two and say. They are the greatest idiots in the history of the Department of Computer Engine-, no, the Department of Virtual Reality Engineering and they are an ecosystem disruptors with natural talents sent down from the sky.

0