Tulipes
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I have a habit of buying flowers whenever I see the flower shop near here. Tae Yang was driving to get home when I spotted it, before I could say a word, he asked me if I wanted to go there to buy flowers, and I said I want.
Inside the shop, I ran into Mr. Yon Kang, the son of the president of Chae Ram, our rival company. He seemed undecided about which flowers to choose, and I suggested, "Why don't you buy sunflowers? They are beautiful and represent happiness", Mr. Yon was startled for a moment, "Oh... Good afternoon, Mr. Eun Hyuk! I didn't think I would find you here, and umm... Sunflowers are indeed beautiful, I want to put them in my backyard, y'know?".
Myung Dae, the owner of the flower shop, appeared with his infectious joy and kindness. "Eun and Yon! What will you want this time? Let me guess... Blue tulips and daisies! Or sunflowers? They suit little Yon!".
"Ah, that's what we were talking about, I think I'll take four sunflowers... And you, Mr. Eun Hyuk?", Yon asked me.
"A simple bouquet of blue tulips, Myung", I saw Yon's curious gaze on me, as if wondering who I would give the bouquet to, and perhaps why Myung knew I would choose that, until he finally asked me, "Mr. Eun Hyuk, who are you going to give the bouquet to? It must be someone important, blue tulips are beautiful and rare... Besides, they're not reasonably priced".
"You answered it yourself, Mr. Yon", I replied with a slight smile on my face, not wanting to delve into this topic because it's delicate.
"Hm... You must really care about that person then...", he said, and I nodded. Myung gave us our orders, and we paid. As I was leaving, Yon held my arm for a moment and asked for my number, I was suspicious, but I still handed him my business card anyway, and before I walked out the door, Yon said that he also lives in Yongsan-gu, I just nodded and left.

 

Tae Yang asked me what Yon was doing, and I explained it to him. "Yon Kang is from the rival company, Mr. Eun Hyuk, please be careful", he said to me. I ignored it and asked him to drive to my house. In the meantime, he wanted to chat with me a little.
"Mr. Eun Hyuk, President Byeol threw away some of your things from her house, I took them because they could be important", I hesitated for a moment, and Tae Yang continued to speak.

As the car made its way through the streets of Seoul, he shared the information he had discovered about my paintings and some belongings. I remained silent for a moment, processing his words.
"Hyun Ah... She used to be very close to you, right?" Tae Yang asked with a certain gentleness.
I agreed with him, Hyun Ah was a childhood friend, someone special in my life. We shared dreams, secrets, and laughter, but as we grew up, our paths diverged, and we eventually lost touch. The longing I felt for her was still a wound in my heart.

"Maybe it's a good time to meet her again, Mr. Eun Hyuk... If these paintings and belongings were discarded, she may not even know that you care about them", Tae Yang suggested, looking at me through the small mirror with concern.

I got lost in the memories of the past for a moment, wondering what it would be like to meet Hyun Ah again after all this time. Would she still remember me? Would she still hold memories of those days of innocence and joy?

"So, can you contact her? Tell her that I'd like to meet up to see my old friend...", I replied, making an impulsive and emotional decision.

Tae Yang nodded, satisfied with my response. As he looked up her number, I looked out the car window. The blue tulips I had bought were still beside me on the seat, looking as delicate and fragile as the memories I hoped to revive.
The rain began to fall again, but this time, I felt a certain comfort in it. It was as if the sky was crying with me, releasing the emotions I had kept bottled up for so long.

As the car approached my house, I could sense that something was about to happen. Perhaps reuniting with Hyun Ah was what I needed to move forward.

 

When the appointed time finally came to meet Hyun Ah, I was tense, wearing a casually but carefully chosen outfit. As I prepared myself, memories of our times together flooded my mind. I needed to be strong, but I felt the lump in my throat.

I met Tae Yang in the hotel lobby where we had agreed to meet Hyun Ah. His curious eyes observed me as I tried to hide my nervousness. He smiled reassuringly, understanding the whirlwind of emotions I was experiencing.

Shortly after, Hyun Ah arrived, and Tae Yang excused himself. She was as beautiful as I remembered, but there was a sense of distance in her gaze. Our eyes met briefly, but she quickly looked away, as if unsure of what to say, perhaps she was nervous like me.
During the early part of our encounter, everything seemed lighter and more relaxed. We laughed about childhood memories, shared stories from the past, and it felt like time hadn't passed so quickly after all. For a moment, I allowed myself to forget the worries and the years that had separated us.

However, as the conversation progressed, I felt a subtle distancing from Hyun Ah again. She avoided talking about more personal matters and looked away when we touched on deeper subjects. My intuition told me that something was different, but I hesitated to confront her.
It was then that Hyun Ah mentioned, almost casually, about her marriage. "Eun Hyuk, I married someone... We have two children now", she said, looking to the side.

My heart tightened a bit at hearing those words. Although I already knew that our lives had taken separate paths, hearing about her marriage suddenly brought a sense of loss and regret. A part of me mourned the missed opportunity, the chance to have shared a life with her.
"That's wonderful, Hyun Ah... Congratulations", I replied with a forced smile, trying to hide the whirlwind of emotions I felt inside.

She nodded, seeming to read some of my sadness. "And what about you, Eun Hyuk? Is there someone special in your life?" she asked, trying to change the subject.
I paused for a moment, pondering the best response. "At the moment, I'm focused on work and taking care of myself", I replied vaguely, not mentioning the loneliness that sometimes accompanied me.

Hyun Ah seemed to sense my reluctance and didn't press the issue further. The silence between us became a bit uncomfortable, but both of us seemed to silently agree that there were things that didn't need to be said.
However, despite the conflicting emotions, I didn't want our meeting to end in sadness. So, I made an effort to steer the conversation back to lighter topics. "Hyun Ah, do you remember that time we tried to build a paper boat to sail on the river near your house? I don't think we've ever laughed so much in our lives!"
She smiled affectionately, and gradually, the atmosphere became more relaxed again. We reminisced about happy moments, laughed about our childhood antics, and for a brief moment, our hearts connected as they did before.

When we finally said goodbye, I hugged Hyun Ah with a mix of emotions. The sadness of the lost past was still there, but there was also hope for a future where maybe we could be friends again, even if our paths were different.
As I walked away from our encounter, holding the bouquet of blue tulips in my hands, I realized that life often takes us on unexpected trajectories, but there is always room for new beginnings and new connections. And perhaps, like the blue tulips, the friendship between Hyun Ah and me could bloom again, bringing with it a new sense of rebirth and hope for the future.

As I left the meeting place with Hyun Ah, I came across Yon, who had spotted the scene and approached me. My feelings were still a bit turbulent after the reunion with my childhood friend, and a part of me didn't want to engage in more conversations or explanations at that moment.

Silently, I handed the bouquet of blue tulips to Yon. His eyes lit up as he received the flowers, and he seemed surprised by the gesture. Even without saying a word, Yon understood the meaning behind the gift.
"M-Mr. Eun Hyuk, thank you... These are the ones from earlier, right? They're still beautiful...", he finally said, touching the delicate petals carefully.
A soft smile appeared on my lips. Even without words, I felt like I had conveyed something special to Yon with that bouquet. Perhaps he could sense the renewal and hope that those blue tulips represented, not just for me but for anyone seeking a fresh start. "They are blue tulips, symbolizing rebirth and hope", I said in a low voice, sharing the flowers' meaning with Yon.

"Rebirth and hope... Those are powerful feelings", he replied sincerely, looking at me with understanding.

I nodded, grateful for the silent connection we shared in that moment. Without needing to say more, we went our separate ways, each immersed in our own reflections and feelings.
As I walked through the streets of Seoul, holding the memory of that brief encounter, I felt like I had learned something valuable that day. Words aren't always necessary to express our deepest feelings. Sometimes, a simple gesture like a bouquet of flowers can speak volumes.

The blue tulips, in their delicacy and rarity, were a constant reminder that life is a continuous cycle of renewal. Just like the flowers that bloom after the rain, I was also ready to face the adversities and find new meanings in each experience. And so, with my thoughts filled with new perspectives, I continued my journey, knowing that although the past cast its shadows, I was ready to embrace the future with courage and optimism.

"Hey, Mr. Eun Hyuk! How about we go to a restaurant for dinner? I know a great place nearby, the food is delicious!" Yon suggested with an inviting smile, turning to me as if observing my distance.
I was surprised by the invitation, it could be a way to distract myself after what happened... And I accepted his invitation. "Sure, why not?" I tried to respond in a more cheerful tone, far from how I felt.
We headed to the restaurant, chatting casually. Yon was a good listener, and after I shared some things, I felt a slight sense of comfort with him.
In the restaurant, we chose a table near the window, with a pleasant view of the bustling street. While waiting for the dishes, Yon broke the silence. "Mr. Eun Hyuk, I feel like you're going through something difficult... If you want to talk about it, I'm here to listen, sometimes talking about what troubles us can be a relief."

I hesitated for a moment, unsure if I should share my personal matters with someone I barely knew. But something in his sincerity made me think I could trust him, even if that feeling was only for a brief moment. "It's true... I had a reunion with a friend from the past today, it was a rather emotional and... complicated experience" the words slipped out of my mouth as I lowered my head, avoiding looking at Yon.
"I understand... Reunions can be full of emotions, especially when you were close to the person" Yon replied.
I sighed, appreciating his understanding. "Yes, that's exactly it, I feel like my mind is in a whirlwind of memories and feelings, I think I need some time to process all of this."
"Don't worry, Mr. Eun Hyuk, dealing with emotional issues takes time, if you need to talk later or just go out to clear your mind... You can count on me" Yon offered sincerely.
I felt grateful for

his offer of support. "Thank you, Mr. Yon, it's good to know that I can count on someone."

And we continued to talk, sharing personal experiences throughout our dinner. I realized that Yon was a pleasant and genuine companion, despite being from the rival company, the connection we formed seemed to transcend that rivalry. But I was also unsure if Yon was getting close to me to acknowledge my weaknesses...

After dinner, we said goodbye with the promise to meet again soon. I reflected on what had happened during the day as I walked back home...

0