Off to prom
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Papa, don't you think it is shorter than the last time I wore it?" I turned to let him see my point.

The baby pink sheer dress we rented from a store is above my knees before, but now it is only covering half of my legs. And the sweetheart neckline is also not this low before, now it is revealing some of my chest. The fit also changed, I remembered it a bit loose on me, but now I can feel it hug my body up.

It is impossible that I've grown so fast like this when it is just last week I fit it in, right?

"It's uncomfortable?" his eyes swiftly glided at the dress before he steadied it on my expression. Like a mind reader, when I subtly wrinkled my nose, he picked up his keys on the lampshade table.

"Grab your things. Let's buy something that can accommodate you better," Papa suggested, already ready to provide a solution to my simple problem.

But that would mean we have to spend money buying another again. And that store is a bit far from here because it is in the city. It will also cost too much to rent one.

I think... I can be okay with it.

Maybe I'm just a bit awkward because it is the first time I've ever worn this kind of fitting, but it isn't as revealing as what others I saw wearing. So this must be good?

Honestly though, I am just not used to it because I am a bit conservative on showing my skin to others even if I am in the modern era already. I just... can't keep up with that phase.

"I just… feel a bit exposed, but this could be fine Papa," I softly smiled to assure him.

"You sure?" he glanced at his watch and then back at me again. "We still have an hour and a half left before your prom. Your only worry this night should be your beauty. And not some shunned hassle as you enjoy the night away,"

I shook my head to assure him, the same time the door suddenly opened, revealing a stunning gentleman the town is madly obsessed with.

"Damn..." he checked out.

"Mr. Baile, I think you had to worry. Your only lady is a smack!" Rain exclaimed. I bowed my head, embarrassed because he might be lying and Papa is here.

"And you are without full make-up still!"

I saw him fold his arms and walk, and walk again, like he is so thrilled about something. He is sporting a navy blue suit making him extra attractive for today's event. Not like he isn't with casual clothes. I even often hear my schoolmates gushing about how it seemed like our school uniform is customized for him since it suits him so well.

"Look at that now colored... and not so so deadly pale... cupid lips! No one could mistake you now as a mystical ghost now!"

He surely is the kind of friend I am not sure if flattering or insulting.

"And these long silver earrings too look good on you. Why did you just wear it now? Man, if I had the shot to live in your body and have shoulder blades like that I would wear every single necklace I have!"

He tapped my father on the back and winked at me. "Sir, your daughter will go home with broken feet tonight..."

"You look so handsome tonight as well," I complimented.

I mentally knocked my head when I realized how it was the wrong choice of words. He held his chest and made an exaggeratedly offended expression while looking at me.

"Handsome who?!" his voice palpitated.

He points to himself, obviously not flattered.

I scratched my chin.

"I AM BEAUTIFUL!" he exclaimed, loud and proud!

Now I am sure I am never gonna call him handsome again. But he is really handsome! Well maybe 'drop-dead' would be more suitable?

Okay here's how I'm gonna do it.

"Of course! You are even beautiful than I am. Come on we are getting late..."

I held him by the shoulder to slowly push him out of the room. We need to go now. We still have to walk. I glanced at my Papa, who is silently smeared with a little smile at the side of the room, watching me and my loud friend.

'We are going' I mouthed which he returned with a knowing smile.

I feel very blessed that I am drifted by fate to them. I never felt that I am only an orphan in this family. They treated me as their own and I couldn't wish for more. I am curious about my biological parents but that is only it. I feel so contented with my family now that I am not shading grave anger towards them for not being with me through all the years. But I won't deny the fact that sometimes... I wish I know who they were and that somehow they knew about me too. That I could feel them too... and that they make an appearance even just once. And speak about why I didn't work for them. I'll be mad for sure... but because of this family, I know I could forgive.

We have already passed the little kitchen our simple home has but it seems like my friend could still not forget being called handsome so I continued pushing him until we reached the living room. We were welcomed by pairs of eyes gawking at us, especially at me.

I stifled a small smile at them. My grandma in her lime green sweater is enjoying her share of heat from the bonfire in the near chamber, while Miro in his black pair of silk sleepwear, who is watching the television, jumped off the sofa he is in. Abandoning the television he is keenly watching earlier, to walk near me.

His mouth opened when he tried to touch my face. I bend a little for him to reach it better.

"You are so lovely," he said breathily, his eyes in bliss looking at me. He lifted his eyes on my hair and I know he noticed something when he made a face.

"Are you wearing a wig?"

He let go of my face and I shaked my head to correct his thoughts.

"I curled it!" I softly laughed because it really took me a lot of time to practice this.

I brought all of my hair infront of me, proud of my little adulting stage.

He smiled silly at me.

"Wow, you know that? I thought you only knew how to curl the stems and grasses!" he heckled, and on cue, Grandma threw him a chair pillow straight on the face.

I concealed a short laugh but Miro caught it so he immediately started glaring at me as soon as the pillow fell on the floor.

Seems like I know where he gets that move now... the throwing of things.

"You will go back before 1?" grandma asked Rain directly.

He grinned teasingly and said, "I am afraid grandma, that someone would want to spend time with Reishza exceeding a bit of that time."

I rolled my eyes when both Miro and Rain looked at me in sync with suggestive expressions on their faces.

I secretly pinched Rain on his back, because he is the only one I can reach. Miro is already at a safe distance.

"Is Akin attending the prom?"

And I can't believe how grandma even looked directly into my eyes when she asked that! Like I would know?!

"Grandma!" I protested, but she only drank her cup of coffee, concealing a wide smile.

They are teaming up to tease me with him again!

No matter how many years, I am still not used with Akin being teased to me. And if there will be a time I would get used to it, I don't really know. I'm a clean freak and that man... is a whole lot hot mess.

"You look like a blushing tomato Rei-rei"

"Pa! Look at Miro!"

Papa, with his fair share of black coffee, appeared at the door of the living room in the middle of my burning face.

"Enjoying the night?" he said, tapping me on my shoulder lightly when he neared me.

The side of my lips rose on the appearance of my favorite ally.

The three tried to hide their smile but they all looked constipated masking it.

Grandma hid her lips by sipping on her coffee. Miro diverted his eyes on the television, lips hardly protuding. And Rain, bitting off the lips, but dimples are peeking on the side still.

Papa tapped Rain's back. "You still need to walk. You should get going." He whispered in a very low voice. "And favor please, lead her to enjoy the night. You know she is sometimes as stiff as a stick"

It was late for him to address that I could hear it. He covered his leer with coffee.

Shortly, Rain opened a black little flashlight in his hand. I frowned and scanned him whole.

Where did that come from?

"Then, we shall go sir," he merrily obliged and it is now his turn to push me out of the door.

We bid our goodbyes.

We are still not a lengthy distance away from the house when someone suddenly shouted my name.

"Reishza!"

Although I know who the voice is from, I snatched Rain's flashlight and pointed its light directly at Miro's face.

He closed his eyes tight and didn't move away from the light anyway. Still beaming.

"Please know that I am very much in favor if Akin would be your boyfriend tonight!" he frantically yelled, with his giddy face highlighted by the flashlight and eyes still closed.

"I, the man of this house, permit him to hold and dance with you!"

I moved the light away from him.

"Go home!" I shouted back, ignoring his statement.

I am not attending prom to get a boyfriend!

The chuckle he let out was heard from the distance.

"Stay safe" he added before fully turning his back at us, waving his hand.

Silly kid!

"I am also in favor," the person beside me murmured— so I threw his flashlight on his chest.

0