The Star Generation
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Knock Knock"
"Sensei, may I come in?"

"Ahh, Takeshi, yes, come in."

'How did he...'
Takeshi thought before he subconsciously opened the door. He then entered the room. He saw Kanroji standing by the window.

"Close the door as well."

"Okay Sensei."

Takeshi closed the door and walked towards him. He stood behind Kanroji and looked out the window.

Various preparations for the trial were being carried out. He was observing them from his room.

There was silence for some time as they both looked outside.

"Well, you are back from your training, yes?"

"Yes Sensei. I'm done with my training for now."

"Hmm...
I'm glad to see that you are well, both physically and emotionally.

You only reached here a few hours ago, yes?"

"Yes Sensei."

"Did you rest? I'm sure your friends would've been waiting long and hard for the day you returned, and you probably didn't get time to rest or even eat, haha."

"Ahh yes, I sat down for some time, so that does count, right?" Takeshi scratched his head as he smiled.

"They got me some special food for today as a welcome gift, so I ate well."

"I see; that's good to hear.
So what brings you to my room?

Could it be that you want to enter the trial?"

Kanroji asked while still looking out the window.

"Yes Sensei, I'd like to enter the trial this time.

After six months away from here, training myself and honing my skills. I think I'm finally ready to take part in the trial."

"I see.

But you know, this one might be several times more difficult than the one before."

"Yes, I'm aware of it. The Star Generation is said to appear here.

But it doesn't matter. I think I'll be able to stand strong and face them head on." Takeshi spoke, his face brimming with confidence.

"Ho, Ho...

You are confident, aren't you?"

Kanroji suddenly spiked his ki, creating a pressurising atmosphere. He released an intimidating aura, trying to test Takeshi.

"Yes, I am confident in myself and my skills, Sensei."

Looking at his determined face for some time, Kanroji suddenly released the intimidating ki, lifting up his glasses, and closing his eyes.

"Well, it's all good then. I'll add you to the list of participants.

You would've been late if you had come to me tomorrow."

"Yes Sensei, I'm aware. Hence why I came today itself."

"Good.
Well then, hmm?" Kanroji looked at Takeshi's face.

"Is there anything else you wish to tell me?"

"Umm, no.

No, Sensei.

Although, Sensei, what are the chances of me facing off against one of the Star Generation."

"Oh? Why do you ask? Well, not that I would know, we haven't drawn in the matchups yet so."

"Ohh okay, Sensei.

I asked because I wanted to fight against a certain someone."

"Hahaha." Kanroji laughed hard and out loud. He then looked at Takeshi and brushed his hair.

Seeing as how he grew from a weak, timid boy who depended on his grandfather all his life, to the level where he wanted to challenge someone, that too in mere 7-8 months made him really happy.

He was concerned that the aftermath might further traumatize him, but he was glad his fears were proven wrong.

"Well, I can't set you up with the people you want to fight, so I won't ask the name of who you want to fight." Kanroji replied.

"It's all up to luck, I guess. Well, that's fine. I might meet him here or when we enroll in the academy. I just need to have patience.

Well, thanks for letting me know, Sensei."

Kanroji smiled and waved his hands.

"Well Sensei, I'll be taking my leave then."

Takeshi left the room after bowing to Kanroji, closing the door behind him.

Kanroji turned to face the window again as he pondered about things.

'I'm glad Kenichii and the rest managed to pull him out of his shell. Well, I guess whatever happened during those 6 months played a major role in this as well.

Yoshimoto did mention his encounter with Takeshi. He couldn't stop talking about his footwork technique.

Adaptability— that's the answer he found during his training there.

Hmm, I wonder if the mysterious beast and the Ronin that killed it have something to do with Takeshi.

Could he be one of them?

Hmm, I'm not sure. Yoshimoto said he wasn't able to detect the beast's ki level either, but he mentioned it as "unnerving" and that it was something that could only be detected by people above Sword Saint Realm.

This doesn't determine anything, but we can atleast be sure that it was of considerable strength.

The meeting this year, I expected it to be the usual banter of how some clans need more help and how some clans need permission to absord minor clans and acquire more land.

But never would I thought this would come up as a topic. But I guess we must be prepared for the unknown.

Not like these nobles will do anything, but atleast the Sword Emperors, the Blades and the Shogun will consider some measures.

Hmm...

There's something else bothering me...

Takeshi....

Yoshimoto said he was present there, just some distance ahead of the location where the fight took place.

And he was covered in bandages. So the possibility can't be ruled out.

If Takeshi fought against it, well, it's still a possibility only.

It could only mean that he has grown enough to face it and is far stronger than when he left here for his training.

Not to mention, his ki control, that's what impressed me the most.

Despite being at the peak of Sword Apprentice level, he's only letting out the ki of someone who has been training for 7-8 months.

Well, whoever picked a fight with him was clearly fooled by Takeshi's facade.

Well, there's still much to be seen about his growth. I guess this trial will be a revelation.

Hahh...

I'm sure you are happy, Tachibana. Your grandson is a hidden gem and is following your path.

He overcame his difficulty just like you did, and you probably wished for him to find his own path rather than follow your own.

Keisuke wasted a large part of his life chasing after your technique and your footwork style.

And only after that did he realise that it was futile. Albeit late, he decided to follow his path and form his own technique based on yours as a foundation.

It's probably why you didn't teach him anything or remove the block from his body.

It was a gamble that paid off, but it could've been disastrous considering what happened right before you reached here.

Well, it all turned out for the better. He's lucky in that aspect, I guess.

Two more days to go...

(Sighs)'

"Well, I should take off too. Need to give the finalised list of names to Masako to prepare the match-ups."

****

Two days later…

The academy is bustling with people, jam-packed with excitement, curiosity, and anticipation. The sound of people chatting and making noise, workers and organizers making sure everything was working according to plan, and participants filled the air.

"Damn...

I must admit, I've seen this same scenery several times, but it still is exciting to see the people bursting with energy."

"Oi Kenichii, don't slack off now.

Come here, go, and check if all these candidates on this list are present. If they're present, go and report it to Murakami-Sensei. If they aren't, then go and report it to Sugiwara-Sensei." Kaori called him out, handing over a list to Kenichii.

"Ugh…

And this is the part that I hate the most, no matter how many times I've been through it. Why am I forced to do all the slave work?" Kenichii's dissatisfaction was all over his face.

"Because this year, you are a senior. You're a second year here."

"Okay, then what was the case last year? You made me work my ass off last year as well." Kenichii frowned.

"Hey, don't ask me, Baka-chi. I'm not the one in charge of these events."

"They all just want us to do slave work for them, don't they?"

"Well… It's not like we have a choice. I mean, we do, but we don't."

"Ugh…" Kenichii grabs the list from her hands.

"Oi, don't slack off now. If we finish quickly, we can get front-row seats to watch the battles." Kaori closed her eyes, patting Kenichii.

"Fine, whatever."

"That's the spirit. Don't you want to see Takeshi's fight? Although it may not be today though. But what if it is? You wouldn't want to miss out on that, would ya?" Kaori continued.

"Ohh… I see what's going on (smirks)."

"What? Why're you making that ugly mug, Baka-chi?"

"Hehe, it's nothing really.

It took me some time to realise that someone really wanted to watch Takeshi's matches with front row seats." Kenichii replied.

"Oi Baka-chi, you're gonna get it from me today." Kaori clenched her fists and pointed them in the direction of Kenichii's face.

"Okay, okay. I get it. I won't tease you anymore with hard truths."

"Hmm, okay.

Wait, what?"

"Okay, that's in it for me.

See you at the front of the arena, Ohime-sama." Kenichii ran away as if his life depended on it after saying those words. He took off before Kaori could react in time.

"Jeez, that guy."

Kaori looked at the arena from the side gate and pondered about the tournament.

'Who will he be facing, I wonder?

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a repetition of last time.

He has definitely worked hard this time, and there's enough proof for that.

But his opponents might be close to jumping to the next realm, if not at the peak of Sword Apprentice Realm, and he's still only…

Well, hopefully he gets a good matchup this time.

Wait, it's not like I'm actually worried about him.

Wait, am I really?

No, No… I'm just looking out for my clan's savior's grandson. Wait, is he my cousin of sorts?

Hmm, no… I don't…

Nevermind, why am I thinking about this anyway. I should get back to my work now.'

Kaori left to continue on with her work.

The crowd was very noisy.

Even more noisy due to the appearance of several noble clan heads and other important figures from the 9 major clans, as well as other rising clans.

They had all come to watch the trial this time as the Star Generation was making its first public appearance. They were all going to be thrust out into the public eye today, and then into the face of the shogunate once they graduate.

"There sure is a huge fuss here." A young woman spoke.

She was a slightly short, petite woman, with a well-developed bosom. She had a baby face with black eyes and chubby cheeks. She had a really charming, cute, and alluring smile.

With jet black hair tied up in a bun, which formed a small ponytail, she looked more like a beautiful hina doll, but with a ponytail, of course.
She was wearing a peach kimono with cherry blossom patterns with a celestial themed sash made of silk, which depicted an alignment of stars. She wore a hairpin made of bamboo.

"Hmm, hmm." The man next to her nodded as he made a noise, agreeing with the young woman.

The young man had medium-length white-grey hair, parted to the right side, with the other side being cropped a bit. He wore a deep blue kimono with a symbol of the clan's crest embroidered on it. He also sported a hakama, along with traditional tabi socks and zori sandals.

He had an intricate hairpin adorned with precious stones, which held up the hair on the back of his head.

These two were members of the Star Generation:

Tendouji Yuzuha, the second heir of the Tendouji clan.

And

Fujiwara Ryōma, the second in line to the Fujiwara clan.

"You know, you can just speak normally instead of hisses and hums. It'll be far easier to understand you that way." Yuzuha continued.

"Yuzuha-chan, you're asking too much of him. We'd all be lucky if we even get a nod from him."

Another member of the Star Generation walked in from behind them.

This young man was Date Naomoto, third in line to the Date clan.

He had short, grey hair, and a long face. His eyes had that grey color embedded in them in a small ring. He wore a striped blue and white haori and deep blue hakama.

"Ahh that is true." Yuzuha replied.

"By the way, where's the rest? Seijūrō, Kiyomasa, Yoshikage, and Katsuyori?

I heard Hanako-chan joined Takahashi, and Murashige isn't interested in joining right now." Naomoto replied.

"Well, aren't you well informed?

Ahh, so what I heard was that Seijūrō and Kiyomasa met some months ago and were in the vicinity of this village, but they never came here. And they left few days back. We don't know where they went, but I don't think they have any intention to join here. Maybe they too went to Takahashi or decided not to join an academy at all.

As for Yoshikage and Katsuyori.

I saw Yoshikage this morning, he's in his tent. He was mumbling something about teaching someone a lesson. But, I don't wanna hang around him, so I left." Yuzuha replied.

"And Katsuyori?" Naomoto asked intently.

"Ohh right, yeah, haven't seen him."

"Hmm, Hmm…" Ryōma tapped Yuzuha on her shoulders.

"Ohh? What is it, Ryōma?"

Ryōma pointed his finger in the distance.

"Ohh, there's Katsuyori.

Come, let's go to him. I haven't seen him in like 2-3 years."

"Okay, let's go." The three of them started to walk towards him.

Katsuyori wore a grey haori and hakama, with a black obi. He had 3 swords attached to his obi. His hair and eyes were obsidian black in color, and his hair was very long, tied in a bun forming a large ponytail.

He wore black wristbands and had a strange symbol carved on his forearms, part of which was covered by his haori. This symbol was prominent as he stood there with his arms folded.

His skin was on the darker side, but he was just as handsome as the other hunks in the empire. His natural beauty was a sight to behold and had many girls fawning over him.

But he seemed to hate this type of attention, often ignoring or giving cold looks to those girls. Which actually made them fall for him even more. Well whatever he was trying to do, it surely backfired.

Well, I wonder what that feels like... Moving on

There were black lines right below his eyes, followed by a large scar that extended from his jaw to his neck. He was really tall and muscular. Only Ryōma could actually compare with him when it came to height.

"Oi, is that Yoshikage?
What is he doing?" Naomoto asked as they walked towards Katsuyori.

"Based on his expression…" Yuzuha added.

"Hmm…" Ryōma looked at the two of them.

"Yeah, either, he's bragging about himself, or looking down on Katsuyori."

The trio walked towards them and heard bits of what he was talking about.

"So, like I said, I always look for the strong. Hence, I'm asking you to join my side. It'll be beneficial to us both.

What do you say?" Yoshikage extended his hand for an agreement.

'Ohh, so that's what he was talking to him about. Hmm, trying to get a strong warrior unaligned with any clan to his side.

Wise strategy indeed. Expanding the sources of power as an insurance.

Hmm…

But I doubt he'd take up on his offer considering how Katsuyori is.' Yuzuha thought to herself.

"Oh, it's the other three of the prestigious Star Generation.

Good day to you, my fellow equals. Although I didn't expect to see you here,.

Ryōma-san."

Ryōma didn't reply. He wasn't even looking at Yoshikage. His unwavering eyes were fixed on the strong gaze that was on him, even if it was through the edge of his eyes.

"Well, I don't need to hide this from you, so.

I'll ask again. Will you join our side as a martial expert for the Murakami Clan? I've already told you all the benefits you will receive, and clearly, it offers more for you than it does for us."

"And my answer is still the same.

NO." The intense aura let out by Katsuyori spiked at that moment. This, combined with his deep, manly voice, was enough to make anyone shudder with fear.

"Oooh, scary, scary....

Well, I'll let you be for now.

My offer still stands. Come to me whenever you feel like it." Yoshikage replied.

"I only have my eyes on the strong. And my sole reason for being here, is to face you.

Ryōma."

"Yes, I'm aware." Ryōma spoke suddenly, which surprised Yuzuha and Naomoto and made their jaws drop to the floor.

"Well, that was surprising. I'll be leaving for now.

Oh, and if you guys come across a vermin named Takeshi on your rounds, be sure to crush him without any mercy. He had the gall to stare at me when he's lower than the dirt we step on.

Not like he'll make it through to face you guys, but if you do, destroy him, hehe." Yoshikage chuckled and left.

"Man, he may be strong physically, but he's vain person mentally. Casually talking about crushing normal people." Naomoto replied.

"Vain person? I believe the word you are looking for is "he's an asshole"." Yuzuha made a slightly irritated face as she spoke.

"Well, I'll be taking my leave then, Ryōma, Yuzuha-san, Naomoto-san." Katsuyori replied and turned around to leave.

"Hmm…"

"And he's back to normal." Yuzuha face-palmed herself.

"Katsuyori still maintains his intimidating aura, not gonna lie.

Anyways.

Who's this Takeshi anyway?" Naomoto asked the other two.

"I don't know either. Haven't heard of him.

Some poor guy who got on the bad side of a nutcase, I guess." Yuzuha replied.

"ATTENTION EVERYONE-"

"Ooh, I guess it's starting. They're going to announce the starting matches and the matches for the day." Naomoto turned around to see the announcer, who was standing on the arena shouting out loud about various info regarding the trial.

"Well, let's go, I don't feel like fighting anymore today. I hope I'm not in the lineup for today." Yuzuha replied.

"Yeah, me too. Also, I want to meet the Himejima princess, she's a second year here, right?" Naomoto asked.

"Yeah, I think so." Yuzuha replied.

They both walk towards the arena, where the lineups for the day were announced. It was also written on a board by the tent.

"Hmm…. Okay, I'm not there for today, neither are you." Yuzuha spoke, intently looking at the board.

"Wait, none of us are there on the first day.

No wait, I see Yoshikage.

And he's going up against…" Naomoto replied.

"Hah, Takeshi, that poor guy.

He just had to get a matchup with him." Yuzuha added.

"Well, their match is the third one today.

Let's see who this Takeshi is." Naomoto continued.

Be-beng...

To be continued...

0