Two Days
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Oi, get these fences ready.
Quickly now, we do not have time to waste.”

“And you, sweep that area, and that… and leave it there.
We can take care of it later.”
A man was seen pointing in various directions, giving out orders.
There were a lot of people surrounding the academy. A lot of them were involved in various tasks, which ranged from cleaning to setting up the stage and much more.

They were seen coordinating with the Sensei’s of the academy, who in turn either gave suggestions or instructions to the workers as well as the people in charge of getting the academy village ready for the biggest event it has to offer.

The Ancient Emperor-Style Academy Trial!

Takeshi could see people even before he made it out of the forest completely. He could see people through the small gaps the thick forest had to offer between its large trees.

There were a lot of voices whose reach knew no bounds, echoing throughout the region. The hustle and bustle of the people involved were clearly seen. A lot of participants had already arrived and were kept in order by the organizers to get a spot to camp in.

Takeshi walked right In, passing by them, and entered the academy through the main gate. There, he saw even more people and students busying themselves with various tasks related to the trial.

They were so busy that they didn’t even notice Takeshi coming in. The academy, which has its three powerful Sensei as well as various other guards and strong students, has always been a deterrent to bandit groups and rogue ronin alike.

No one would dare enter or even come near the vicinity of the academy until they had a valid reason for doing so. Such was the image that it instilled in the people.

‘I just walked in, without getting asked by anyone about what my purpose for visiting the village is. It's just as Sensei said, the trial is definitely the most exciting and, at the same time, vulnerable time for the academy.’

He walked to the main hall and made his way to Kanroji’s room.

‘I should let Sensei know that I’m back. Not to mention, I don’t want to be late to submit my entry to the trial.

I will have to wait another 6 months if that happens, hahh.’

Just as Takeshi was about to take the small set of stairs to Kanroji’s room, a familiar voice called out to him.

“Takeshi?
Takeshi, is that you?”

Takeshi, pleased to hear a voice familiar to him, turned around and saw Hisako.

“Ahh, so it is you…

You’re back!” Hisako smiled as he spoke.

“Hisako, it’s been some time, hasn’t it?”

“Heh, it sure has.

Wait, let me tell this to a certain someone…

KENICHIII!
KAORIII!

COME OVER HERE QUICK!” Hisako yelled out loud.

“Hehe, there won’t be anyone more pleased to see you again than these two.”

“Hahaha. It’s really been a long time since I’ve seen them, eh?

Wait, Kenichii I can understand. Why would you say that about Kaori?” Takeshi asked, puzzled.

"Well, let’s just say that after you left, she felt bad for saying all that mean stuff to you and treating you har- mmfm mmfm” Hisako was cut short in the middle by Kaori, who forcibly shut his mouth.

Just as the two of them exchanged puzzled looks, with Kaori making a rather flushed face, Kenichii rushed in, making a clanging noise signalling his arrival.

“AHH TAKESHIIIII

YOU’RE BACK!!!”

Kenichii ran towards him and jumped at him as he hugged him.

“You’re back safe and sound; I’m so glad.”

“Kenichii, your parental instincts are leaking.” Kaori replied after seeing him camp on top of Takeshi.

“Humph, I don’t care what you say; he’s my boy, and I’m happy he’s back without a scratch. Of course I’ll be like this.” Kenichii spoke, stroking Takeshi’s hair.

“Umm, I’m not your boy, but I’m glad you’re happy, Kenichii.” Takeshi spoke softly, grunting in between as he struggled to stand straight.

“Hahaha, I’m glad, Takeshi.” Kenichii jumped off of him.

“You were able to catch me mid-air and stand for some time while carrying my weight. If anything, that’s one sign you are stronger than before, hahaha.” Kenichii replied, patting Takeshi’s back.

“That’s not -”

“That’s not you, idiot!”

Takeshi and Kaori both replied at the same time, with Takeshi stopping midway after he heard Kaori say the same thing.

“Mmmf, Mmmph, mmffmmph.” Hisako made muffled sounds and tapped continuously on Kaori’s hands, indicating her to release him from her hold.

“Ahh sorry.”

“What are you trying to do, you maniac? Kill me at this rate, would you?

God, why am I here between these two, just to suffer?” Hisako spoke out loud, looking at the sky.

“Hahahha”

Everyone laughed in unison as they were joined by other students of the academy who knew them. They all chatted and slightly celebrated Takeshi’s return from training.

‘I’m glad they’re still the same as when I left. Then again, 6 months isn’t a long time, so.

Hahh, but I guess... It depends on the people involved, rather than the time elapsed.

But still, I’m happy. I’m happy to come back to this small family. I had to leave behind the family I had made there, but I know that I'll meet them again.

I couldn’t even think about being like this with other people, let alone laugh like this. Guess that’s the change that occurs over the course of time.

Did you want me to experience all this, Grandpa? I wonder if you made me make up my mind to come here somehow for all this.’

Takeshi thought about all the stuff that occurred from his arrival in this village to the day he came back here, which is today.

They settled down after some time. Then they went to the dining hall to have lunch.

"So...

You're entering the trial this time, right?" Hisako asked.

"Yeah, I'm entering. I'm gonna go let Sensei know after we finish lunch." Takeshi replied.

"Hmm, this year is going to be a bit tough.

Actually, a bit tough is an understatement.” Hisako replied

“Ohh? Why is that?”

“The Star Generation…” Kaori replied.

“They’ll be taking part in the trial this time. They were supposed to be part of the trial six months ago, but they postponed it because of the Sanko Kaigi.”

“What’s the Star Generation actually? Takeshi asked out to the group in general.

“Let’s just say that they are the elites of the samurai class, not in terms of power, because they are all at your level only, but status. The young samurai are from the nine noble families.

Or they could be any samurai who have distinguished themselves through their feats while belonging to that same age. They’re called such because of the talent they possess.

Basically, the clans want publicity, and what’s bigger than raising and showcasing a group of young samurai with noble heritage or skills unrivalled, trying to emulate the original golden generation?

While it may seem like a show, they’re really quite strong. I’ve seen a few of them, and some of them are no joke.” Kaori made a disapproving face as she spoke.

‘I wonder if Seijūrō is also a part of this. Since he is from the Minamoto clan, Well, not like that matters.’

“Okay, so… What's the Golden Generation?”

Hisako chuckled as he looked at Kaori’s disgusted face.

“Good god, man, Get the hell out of that rock you are living under, please.
I get that you were isolated for a long time, but this much is common knowledge.” Kaori replied, face-palming herself.

“Hey, hey. Go easy on him.” Kenichii replied.

“Takeshi, it’s basically the four strongest Sword Emperors in the history of the Shogunate. And all four lived and served the shogunate during the same period. Tachibana Takahiro, your grandfather was one of them.

Others were Iwao Hisakawa Iwao, Takamura Haruki, and Fujimoto Kiyomi.”

“Ohh, I’ve heard grandpa mention these names before, but I didn’t know they were Sword Emperors.” Takeshi replied.

“Okay, tell me something. You basically travelled around with a former Sword Emperor, who was known throughout the shogunate. I’m sure people would’ve realized it was him and treated him with respect or addressed him as such.

How come you’ve never noticed that?” Kaori asked.

“Well, I didn’t notice much out of the ordinary. Although we were able to get past crowds easily and were given better treatment than other people whenever we visited various places.”

“And that didn’t feel out of the ordinary to you?”

“Umm, to be fair, no. I just thought we got lucky.”

“You thought you got lucky, eh?  Well, I don’t know what to say to that.”

“Wait, my grandfather said the exact thing to me, I swear.”

‘Oi Takeshi, look at this.
Tasty and delicious food! Guess we got lucky!’

Takeshi remembered his grandfather telling him that on different occasions.

”Ohh well. Ignorance is bliss.

Anyway, they are going to be there for this trial, although we don’t know who all are there. I think all of them might be there.” Kaori spoke as she lifted her head up to look at the sky.

“I don’t know; I don’t think that guy from the Shimazu clan will be coming.” Kenichii replied.

“Yeah, but he’s no longer considered a part of the Star Generation, right? He publicly said that he isn’t interested in learning the way of the sword, either from here or from his clan.” Kaori continued.

"Enshin, was it?

Talented people and their perks, I guess. Even when they’re granted the golden opportunity, they don’t take it.” Kenichii added.

“Well, he possesses the Divine Hands, so there's really no need for him."If rumors are to be believed, he’s stronger than most of us combined in our age group.” Hisako replied.

Takeshi, who didn’t understand almost anything about what they were talking about, just sat there, nodding and looking.

‘I definitely have to learn more about this!’

Just as Takeshi was nodding and thinking to himself while the other three continued on with their discussion.

“Ho Ho, look at what we have here!”

An arrogant, condescending voice suddenly came from behind.

The four of them turned around to look at the young man walking towards them, accompanied by another man who seemed like his attendant.

He had short, spiky brown hair and was wearing an eyepatch made of silk, showing their status as part of the main family. His kimono was the official attire of his clan, having the symbol for strength sewn in silk on it.

He had long, narrow eyebrows, greyish-black eyes, and wore a smug expression on his face. He was a bit on the short side when it came to height, but his body was agile, well developed, and firm.

"Oi, Oi, Himejima-san. I heard you fought your way out of the clan and are at odds with the clan head, but have you gone so low as to sit with monkeys like them?

Oh my, I might’ve been insulting a monkey when I considered him to be one of them.

These two definitely fit their category anyway. Grow some more hair, and I’ll arrange for you to live with them, hehe.” The young man spoke out loud.

“What the hell is he saying? Is he insane?” Kenichii replied.

“Ignore him, Kenichii.” Kaori replied.

“Ho ho, you are the same as always, Himejima-san.

And don’t you worry, monkey; what I said might be incomprehensible to you, but know that in my heart, I mean well and want you to go to the place where you truly belong. The forest, of course.”

“What are you doing here? What do you want from us…

Yoshikage.” Hisako asked.

“Ho Ho, look at the arrogance of this worm. Just because you are older and because you are from my clan doesn’t mean you can speak to me as you wish.

Know your place, worm.

You are nothing but a disgrace to the clan. And you dare address me as if you are my equal?”

Murakami Yoshikage, the third in line to the Murakami clan. He was an arrogant samurai who belittled anyone who didn’t have noble status. But no one dared to speak against him as this was the norm in the Shogunate.

Those with power, either political or physical, ruled over everyone else. Their will was absolute. One could say this was a result of their upbringing.

More to the fact that a mere branch family member got enrolled to the academy before him made his blood boil and was enough reason for Yoshikage to make Hisako suffer at any opportunity he got.

“And you, what are you looking at, monkey?" Yoshikage felt a gaze targeting him sternly from the side and suddenly noticed Takeshi looking at him.

Takeshi didn’t say anything in response, but his gaze was fixed on Yoshikage.

“Lower your eyes, you monkey.

Guessing from your attire, you are not even a student here. And since I don’t know who you are, I’m sure you are a commoner who came to take part in the trial.

Give it up, monkey; this is an academy for the strong, the elites. It’s not a place where a peasant like you, who are given alms, to be loitering around.

Although, I guess the standards might’ve dipped beyond compare if a monkey who looks like that and a worm can make it in here. Or did you do something else to curry favour with Kanroji-Sensei?

Old men might fancy various things, but hey, I’m not going to judge him.

After all, he is a "Blade".

But still, this isn’t a place for you; just by sensing the ki you possess, it's clear you are weak. Get out of here before its too late. I can give you some alms if you beg on your knees, hehe.

Because, if you come to face me or anyone on my level, you won’t be leaving this place alive.

So, if you know what’s good for you,

LEAVE!”

Takeshi didn’t utter a single word in response. He was just looking into the eyes of the man who spouted all these words, insulting him and his friends.

Frustrated by the gaze and reminded by the fact that he couldn't do anything to the candidates who had come here, he turned around.

“I’ll be leaving then, Himejima-san.

But you should really consider who you hang out with.”

Yoshikage walked away as the others watched him leave in the distance.

“Damn, he’s an annoying prick.” Kenichii spoke.

“Takeshi, I’m sorry you had to hear all that from him. I apologize on his behalf.” Hisako stood up and bowed his head as he apologized.

“What are you doing, Hisako? It’s not your fault. You don’t have anything to do with what he said.

He was directly threatening and challenging me. So, I must respond in kind; that’s all there is to it.” Takeshi stood up, lifted Hisako’s head, and replied.

“Wait, what do you mean in kind?” Kenichii asked.

“Well, it was a challenge, and two days from now we have a trial. I’ll give him my answer if we meet in any of the rounds.” Takeshi replied.

“You do realize that while that guy is an ass, he is still strong. He’s one of the Star Generation, you know.”

The three of them were shocked by the way Takeshi replied. This wasn’t something they expected him to say, not to mention the tone in which he replied.

“Well, I’ll be taking off then. I’ll meet you guys in the dorms after I let Sensei know of my entry.

See you later!” Takeshi smiled and left for Kanroji’s room.

“What was that all about?” Kaori asked, surprised. She was caught totally off guard by his new attitude.

“He seemed a bit more… Confident, I think.” Hisako replied.

“Yeah, he sure did. I did feel like he had a different air around him.” Kenichii added.

“Well, not like that matters.” Kaori stood up from her chair and looked in the direction Takeshi went.

“He may have a slightly different outlook on things now, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s still weak.

I’m afraid his ki signature isn’t strong enough to stand on equal footing. There is an improvement, sure, but it’s not enough.

Well, in order for him to get in, he needs to get good matchups, and pray he doesn’t get to face any of the Star Generation early on.” Kaori added.

“Ohh, look who’s worried about Takeshi.” Kenichii spoke, teasing Kaori.

“Oi Baka-chi, you spout nonsense like that again, and you are dead.” Kaori replied.

“Like what? O-h-i-m-e sama!” Kenichii continued to tease her before running in the opposite direction.

“That’s it.” Kaori ran after him, trying to chase him down.

Hisako was used to all this, and he just sat there, pondering about how things would turn out.

“He really has a hard road ahead of him.

I hope he makes it.”

Be-beng…

To be continued…

1