Departure
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hmm, that's all I need, I guess."

"Are you sure? You could use some more clothes."

"Nah, this much is fine.
Also, I'm going for seclusion, wouldn't it ruin the meaning if I went for it like I was going for a picnic?"

"Alright, alright, At least take some extra bento boxes, Furuta-san will fix you up very fast."

"It's fine, Kenichii, I'm good with this.
This much is enough, actually."

"Are you sure? You look very thin already, you'll wind up as a skeleton if you don't eat." (in a soft tone, from Kaori's perspective as she turns to Hisako.)

"Is it just me, or is this really weird and creepy?"

"Yeah, I'm feeling the creeps too.
It feels like he is his mother."

"I know, right? How much time do they spend with each other to be like this?"

"Hey, hey.
I can hear you, you know."

Kenichii turns and frowns at Hisako and Kaori.

"Please, by all means, continue." Both of them in unison.

"You know, I'm doing my part as his friend and senpai.
And what are you guys doing?

Mocking the only friend who cares about him."

"Oi"
"Hey!"

"I never said I was his friend!"

"I care about him too!"

Kaori and Hisako both say this at the same time and then proceed to look at each other in a surprised manner.

"Oi, you need to drop this act, just act like a normal person.
Don't jump between "Humph, I don't care about him" and "Hahh, here you go, have this" in a flash.
You look like a weirdo when you do that." Kenichii mocks and mimics Kaori's usual facial expressions and speaks in the manner she does.

"That's creepy." Kaori frowns at Kenichii.
"It is, but it's funny as well, haha." Hisako bends as he laughs hard.

"Hey! Cut it out!" Kaori looks at Hisako and elbows him.

"Ow, ow, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Hisako says as he tries to control his laugh.

"Humph."

Takeshi laughs at all this.

Kenichii and Kaori both notice how he has changed from the initial gloomy expression to how he is now.

Although Kenichii always had a feeling that Takeshi might shift to the dark side, but everything worked out to the point where he felt that Takeshi doesn't even think about it and is rather focused on the future.

This really put him at ease.

"Alright, that's enough of the emotional bandwagon." Sugihara-sensei makes his way, clapping his hand once. The four bow and greet him, to which he waves his hand, indicating it's fine.

Sugihara came down to bid farewell to Takeshi, while Masako and Kanroji were talking about their students in the engawa by his room. Sugihara had just left from there.

"Ahh, Sensei, you are here.
I really didn't want to make too much of a fuss before I left. I actually wanted to leave before anyone noticing, but Kaori caught me."

"HUH???
Kaori caught you??" Hisako and Kencihii were surprised at what they heard and turned to look at Kaori.

"I thought I noticed you first." Kenichii said as he maintained his surprised face.

Kaori, who didn't expect Takeshi to reveal it all of a sudden, got flustered.
"W-What nonsense are you saying, Dara-shi?
I-I didn't see you first, Kenichii did."

Hisako and Takeshi smile at her, while Kenichii laughs and makes fun of her.

Sugihara, seeing them laugh and play around, gets lost in his thoughts.

'Ahh, youth, how fun it is to be young.
To live without a care in the world, not knowing what lies in front of them in the future.

But I guess... They have to live like this when they can, after some time, it'll be just one endless cycle of hate, loathing, and succumbing to social norms and the powers that run the world.

Takeshi-kun, you, the grandson of Tachibana, while a lot of people may not know you now, but depending on your actions and how and where your path leads you, you will be the target of everyone, both good and bad.

The same goes for the both of you, Kaori and Hisako.
One is the second-in-line heir to the Himejima clan. The rebellious girl who fought her father to prove herself and enter a samurai academy.
Despite her young age, she realized that if she didn't have power, she'd just end up as a tool in a political marriage.

As for the Murakami clan, they just sent Hisako out because they thought of him as nothing but fodder, a practice mannequin for the clan's supposed next in line. But he has luck on his side, he is given the golden opportunity to become stronger and prove himself.

But sadly enough, he'll be eliminated.

No matter how talented he is in his own right, when the so-called star generation brats come in during the next trial. He'll be defeated by his own kin. But he still has a fair shot to try.'

Back to the engawa, where Masako and Kanroji were sitting. While Sugihara pondered the future of his students, the other two sensei's were having the same conversation.

"He has to train well so that he can face off against his younger generation." Masako remarked.

"Yes, and as for Kenichii, he really is the one who doesn't have any strings attached to him.
But at the same time, have strings attached to them." Kanroji looks up at the sky and speaks his mind to Masako.

"He really is a kind boy, his heart is pure.
I was genuinely taken aback when he approached us and told the three of us about his concern for Takeshi, back when he just came here." Masako continued

"Well, as someone who lost his loved ones right in front of him, I guess he understood him more than anyone."

"Takeshi is gonna have the hardest time of all, I suppose. When he returns, he will be joining the star generation of the top clans.
It's gonna be interesting to watch.
Although I'm concerned about one thing, Sensei."

"Hmm? What is it, Masako?" Kanroji averts his eyes from the sky and faces Masako.

"Tachibana-san... They attacked him because they wanted the sword, yes?"

"Ahh, that.
Well, yes. You fear they will come here, looking for Takeshi?"

"Yes, I'm concerned, or they will try to do something to him while he is going away for training.

Who is after this anyway? What do they seek to gain from this?"

"Well, you needn't fear about them coming here.
As long as I'm breathing, there won't be any threat to the academy. I can assure you of that.

By the way, how much do you know about the "Black Dragon" incident, Masako?"

"Just that it was a public show set up to entertain the people who gathered to celebrate the coronation of the new Shogun. 

But in reality, it was an incident involving some guy trying to plan an attack on the city square in Kyoto, where the coronation of the new Shogun was taking place, although I feel like there is something more to it than that."

"Ohh, who told you that?"

"Ahh, well, the I overheard the clan head and my father talking about it.

The rest I figured out by myself based on the rumors."

"Ahh, that's a good sense of observation you have there. It's almost on the spot.

It was an attempt to take away the legendary swords, which the Sword Emperors possessed, or, I guess, just the swords, because they wanted my sword as well." Kanroji said as he sipped his tea.

"Wait really? Is that what actually happened?"

"Yeah, even during the Sanko Kaigi (三個 会議), the story that was told to the nine clan heads and the Shogun were different, and it is what you know.

The story of Hisakawa making a black dragon using his shadow powers for celebration was just a cover up for that, which was also decided during the Sanko Kaigi."

"As for how this affects us.
I suspect, that the same man is the one behind this attack.

Not to mention, they killed the Ming prince and took his sword.

I'm curious as to why this news hasn't blown up yet too.
This would be a major incident in itself.

Or, is the Ming Empire involved in this as well?

There are too many things to consider."

"But, Sensei, the thing is, they don't need to lie about this to a man who has been detached from the world for a long time, right?" Masako asks Kanroji.

"Well, actually, while he did not maintain any connections straight forward, Tachibana did look into various things. He used to send me letters on the information he had gathered.

Some years back, he sent me a particular letter, in which he told me to be on guard and that the legendary sword wielders could be in danger. The only thing that came to mind was the "Black Dragon" incident, which happened 30 years ago.

But of course, I'm the only one who knows about this. I'm not sure if he sent letters to others, but yeah."

"Where are the other sword wielders, Sensei?"

"I don't know, I doubt anyone knows. All of them vanished without a trace."

Kanroji sets down his cup and lets out a sigh. Masako, who was looking at him, now looks to the sky.

"But I don't think I need to worry about Takeshi. He'll be fine."

"Why do you think so, Sensei?"

"Well, to be honest, the boy was really down in the dumps whenever I saw him, even after Kenichii relentlessly badgered him to change his mood. He would turn cheery at times, but then revert back to before.

But something happened during the two days after his first match. He has an entirely different outlook right now, and I'm sure, we will get to see something very interesting, in the next 6 to 12 months."

"Ohh, you seem to be very confident, Sensei. He reminds you a lot of Tachibana-san, eh?"

"Well, the boy has his attitude down to a T. If there were anyone else here who knew him as much as I did, they would say the same."

"I'm very much looking forward to his return and the trial as well."

"Hmm, yes, let's wait and see."

Be-beng...
Plink...

*****

"Alright then, I'll be heading off.
I'll see you guys in...
Well, whenever I'm strong enough to stand on my own in front of you all, I guess."

"Yes, I know you will, Takeshi." Kenichii says as a teardrop rolls down his eyes.

"Good luck and safe travels, Takeshi." Hisako smiles at him.

"Yeah, you better get good, Dara-shi, or I'll kill you. Humph" Kaori says while turning her face to the side.

Takeshi smiles at the three of them and waves back as he leaves the academy.

He was going to the right side of the forest from the mountainside and walked slowly until he disappeared into the woods.

"Geez man, would you come back from being 80 years old to being just 18? It's really creepy." Kaori said as she looked at Kenichii with disgust written all over her face.

"Humph, what would you know, you fork-tongued woman."

"HUHH?? What did you just say, you hag?" Kaori lashes back at Kenichii and both start to run and chase each other.

"Here we go again.

Seriously, I really can't believe they aren't an old couple."

Be-beng...

****

"Hmm, okay.
So, my first order of business would be to find a place good enough to camp, someplace from which I can easily train, rest well, and have access to natural resources.

Hmm...

Ahh yes, that cave, it seemed like a good enough spot.

It has access to the river, it's set on the outskirts of the forest, and it has a calming view.
Although that is where I almost died, haha.

Fairly enough, I have to make sure I avoid the wild animals that can attack me, as well as the blood bees and any other beasts that would like to have me for a meal.

Let's go check it out first, see how it is on the inside, and then I can decide whether I should consider a different place or not."

Takeshi was filled with thoughts of where to camp as he carefully observed his surroundings while he crossed the forest.

Unlike that time, he was rather prepared now. He had a pair of swords, a bokken, and a rather sturdy kasa with him, which concealed his jet black, wavy hair almost entirely.

He wore a grey-black hakama over his kimono and haori, with his swords in his obi.

He had a randoseru on his back, which had the essential supplies, Kenichii had him take it with him.

He walked forward for quite some time and reached his destination.

The cave where he planned to stay in, the place where he passed out, and the place where he saw his grandpa.

"So, I guess..."
Takeshi puts his fists on his torso and looks at the cave opening.

"This is where it starts."

Be-beng... (slowly fading)
Dokon! (resonates in the background)

To be continued.


Hello again, Just dropping something here.

Randoseru: A "randoseru" is a traditional Japanese backpack made of wood or bamboo with a frame covered in leather or fabric. It is worn on the back and could carry various items, including clothing and personal belongings.

Sanko Kaigi (lit. The three ancients meeting): It is a biyearly meeting conduced by the court, which involves The Shogun, the 4 Sword Emperors, the 9 noble clan heads (equiv. of Daimyo) and the 4 blades of the empire.

2