Chapter 53: Exploring The Roaring Kingdom!
72 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eventually, the children settled down in the lodgings of the Church of Lazel. This small church was a subsidiary of the Head Church in Zetral, much like the Missionary Church. The scale of its size and location in the Cresuilge Kingdom meant it did not have an Apostle. Instead, an archbishop was reigning in command, and his name was Callum. His title as an archbishop meant he was one rank lower than an Apostle in the Church hierarchy. 

Archbishop Callum was a busy man and would usually hand the duties of religious practices to the rest of the clergy. After all, he was, essentially, the middleman for relations with the Church and the Cresuilge Kingdom. However, he would usually briefly attend the beginning of banquets and other daily church services if he had time. Today, he was briefly present to welcome the children from the Orphanage. 

"Children of the Orphanage, it is in the name of our Lord, that we are here to meet before the passages to his sacred halls. This staunch devout is referred to as Archbishop Callum. It is the truth that we are all spread from the land's soil and may hold different thoughts. Yet I wish, I beseech, each young one to continue to pray, not only for the sole of our lord, but also, the intercession and wellbeing of the people, and the earthly world . . ."

The preaching lasted for a while. While he orated the rites of the church, he led the children and Orphanage personnel out of the vestibule into the mostly vacant sanctuary. He demonstrated a short service of liturgy and requested children to engage in prayers. By the end of noon, the children were dismissed and were permitted to explore outside into the inner Kingdom. 

"Now, we want you children here just before evening," Sister Josella ordered. 

"Remember to stick in groups so you don't get lost. We won't be there to supervise you." Sister Edna's eyes swept over the children. Dalis had the feeling her eyes lingered a little longer on him than the rest. 

(There are plenty of other . . . troublemakers. Why me? Wait. I just acknowledged myself as part of them.)

"You children may leave now," Sister Edna announced.

The children began to excitedly form groups, dispersing into the tumultuous bustling street of people. 

"Dalis you're going with Allen and Sun Hee right?" Stilla reaffirmed.

Dalis nods his head in response. "Do you want to join?"

"Hmmm . . . it's okay! Have fun with them alright?" Stilla cheerfully runs off, dragging the spectating Melvin along. 

Dalis turned around but skid mid-way of his rotation. "We will meet up later!" he shouted, just enough for her to hear it.

Stilla having heard the voice paused in her tracks; she was surprised. Lifting one hand to the air, she began to wave. "Yeah!" 

And of course, she was smiling, beautifully.

"Ready to go Dallis?" Allen asked.

"Let's go."

 

***

 

"Woah!" "Wow!" "Ooooh" these leakages of voices and the like have been repeated every so often. The attractive street vendors did not fail to entice the passing pedestrians. Whether they were young, middle, or aged, everyone was engrossed. The youths begged and pestered their mothers to buy them the latest toys at Kings “R” Us. Packed with women and men were the boutiques, with the less fortunate were left to enviously watch through the glass displays. They did not seem unsatisfied; however, as they soon moved onto other windows to peer at—window shopping. Aged men and even knights could be seen chatting heartily right outside their favourite taverns.

The entrance to the new world left the children unable to decide where to lay their eyes on. 

"This place is amazing!!! Where have I been living all my life!” Allen enthusiastically cried.

"It's very nice!!" Sun Hee bubbled. The reserved personality of hers was no longer there.

"So many things to look and select from! I really wonder if the money I have saved up is enough?" Allen awed, and then looked over to Dalis. "What's wrong? You look kinda out of it. Let me guess, too speechless to speak?" he added.

" . . . "

Yes, he wanted to be speechless and without a sole word of utterance, but this was too much. 

Cresuilge Kingdom. It is a monarchy, a command economy, that enforced the communistic ideal—ideal it truly was. Each citizen was provided with the rights to a healthy lifestyle, equal work hours, plenty of time to spend with their families, and full coverage over their living expenses. Rather, there were no living expenses, to begin with. Each citizen of the Kingdom was deeply grateful to their rulers. Each of them worked seamlessly like cogs in a well-oiled machine, giving more than they materially received, and yet they were all happy. This was the closest you could come to a world without money, where each man thought of others before themselves. Surprisingly, however, Cresuilge Kingdom boasted the single greatest economic standing among all nations by far, prospering from international trade, tourism, as well as schooling, and craftsmanship. It was truly a hubbub of commercial activity. Their defences only grew overwhelmingly stronger and at a faster rate. Essentially, each citizen was a worker, and the Cresuilge Kingdom itself was the workplace. 

" . . . Is it like this in other nations?" Dalis asked. He managed to not let a quiver leak out from his disturbed mind.

Allen seemed unsure and looked at Sun Hee. Sun Hee spoke: "like we have learnt in our studies, it is much different. You should ask Melvin."

"I see . . ." (Sun Hee that is the last person I would ask.)

While they talked, a flirtatious young couple passed them. The couple entered a sweet confectionery store, Valentinas, exchanging whispers. 

Dalis became a little distracted; his inquisitive eyes were drawn to the store.

(A confectionery store . . . but why do I have the feeling that if I dared enter I would lose my mind?) Dalis wondered. He was extremely curious. However, his instincts were warning him to not enter. 

"Hey guys, let's keep moving along. How about we try searching for potions. Those would be useful during our expedition right?" Allen suggested.

"Yes," Sun Hee nodded. 

Dalis nodded his head in response. Potions were vital items for practitioners. Their numerous effects, such as healing and curing, were indispensable when venturing into the wilds of Pedlar Continent. 

"Excuse me elder, are all these potions made in Zetral?" Allen asked the shopkeeper.

Adjusting his grey, curly hair which clumsily hangs over his head, he reveals a warm face. "That is right. These are all imports from Zetral. You young children must be from Zetral, right?"

"Not quite! We are from the Missionary Church. We are part of the Orphanage."

"Oh? We have been notified by the Church of Lazel to give you children heavy discounts on purchases. Pick whichever you like."

"Please wait, elder. Wouldn't you need to check if what we said was true?" Sun Hee interjected.

"Well is it not true?"

The words of the elder momentarily stunned Sun Hee and Allen.

"We are from the Orphanage elder," Dalis affirmed.

The elder did not say anything, but his gestures were as clear as day.

The three thanked the elder. 

"You two pick ahead. I don't have a blessed mana seed, so it would be better off me buying from a normal potion store," Dalis said.

Potions concocted by alchemists from the church were very effective for blessed mana users. Not only were they welcomed by the body, but users were also able to stir the blessed mana in the mixture to obtain heightened effects. On the other hand, other mana users were only able to obtain roughly 50% of the effects of the potion on average. Moreover, long use of consumption has been said to cause detriments to the body. Thus, the majority of people purchased potions from the alchemists of the Swamp to fulfil their needs. 

"Yeah, that sucks. But Sister Edna and Joselina said you won't be able to get a discount. Are you sure? Do you want us to help you pay?" Allen asked.

"You don't need to hesitate," Sun Hee whispered quietly. Despite her shyness, she was willing to help Dalis.

" . . . Thank you. There is no need. However, I appreciate both of your kindness," Dalis sincerely said with his face a little embarrassed. 

When they saw his rare reaction, grins inevitably spread across their faces, though Sun Hee partially covered her mouth with a palm to hide it.

"Don't worry, we will be sure to get the best deal we can get!" Allen declared. He hurriedly purchased the potions and pushed Dalis along the buzzing streets.

"Please Allen. There is no need. Besides, you need to save your money right."

"What do you mean? Isn't it natural to help your brothers and sisters?"

Dalis's steps halted. 

"Hmm? Something up?" Allen asked. "You look kind of deep in thought," he added.

"Oh?—Anyways . . ." He snuck up close to Allen's ear and whispered: "weren't you going to buy a present for . . . your girl ;)"

"Wawawawa right! I completely forgot."

(This guy. He really forgot. Even after his usual group gave him the okay). Dalis felt that sometimes his airhead-like moments are facepalm worthy. 

"Crap! Where's Sun Hee? I think we lost her in this crowd," Allen exclaimed, surveying the surroundings desperately to find her.

"Idiot. Let's go." Dalis began to retrace his steps back. Allen followed and did not remain idle in his search.

It did not take long until they found her.

"There she is!" Allen pointed at her, standing inside an accessory store. 

The two entered: they found her situated in the section filled with large displays of boards covered with rows of accessories. One of the long glass slides was framed open. 

As they neared her, they simultaneously came to a standstill. 

Dalis gazed at Allen, staring intently at Sun Hee. Despite standing still, she seemed a little restless while examining the accessories. With one arm clenched to her chest and the other slightly extending in and out, her hand continued to waver.

Watching her struggle, Allen's mind was already decided. He ambled over to Sun Hee and reached his hand out to the emerald butterfly pin.

"Here you g—"

Allen's arm collided with another arm.

2