05 – Meeting Her.
3.4k 22 74
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV - Shido

From the day I learned about spirits, my life changed.

I joined Ratatoskr, a group dedicated to saving spirits... Yet the task I had to do...

Was to play a game.

A dating visual novel game.

If it were only that, it would be fine, but every time I picked the wrong answer, something bad would happen... An embarassing poem I wrote long ago, the 'dark chant' my younger self made... Everything was made public...

Even though I already saw the happy ending to that game, the sheer number of old scars brought to light still gives me headaches. But it wasn't that bad! All I had to sacrifice was my social life, my sanity, my dignity.. I would rather not think about it.

I should definitely focus on the alarm that is going off in the city right now, the spacequake warning, and the place where I am.

"It still feels surreal..."

I couldn't stop myself from muttering that. This futuristic place is an airship that looks straight from a sci-fi movie. I even reached this place by being teleported in... And to think this feels normal compared to the situation that will happen.

"...Hey, Kotori. Is this really going to work?"

My little sister, who is somehow also the commander of this place, looked at me like I was an insect. Where did my cute and innocent sister go?

"Shido, are you getting cold feet? You're the one who told me with so much determination that you would save those spirits, and now you want to run away?"

"No! I want to save them!.. But is this really the only way?"

"If there was another way, we wouldn't need to rely on you. We can't leave them alone; every time they enter this world, a spacequake happens, and with it, an unreasonable amount of destruction. This is not even something they have control over; it just happens. So, there are only two ways to stop these disasters. The AST way of eliminating them... or our way, so if you understand that, you should use this really good opportunity we have right now."

Kotori brings a hologram with a map showing the school, a red dot inside the building, and various yellow dots outside as she explains what everything means.

'The red one is the spirit, while the yellow ones are AST. As you can see, they have the spirit surrounded, but they can't attack. Their CR-Units weren't created for combat in such a closed environment, not to mention how your mobility will be decreased, and they certainly can't receive many attacks from a spirit."

"I got it! Since they don't want to attack now, it gives me the chance to talk with her without much trouble... Wait, how would I get a chance if something like this doesn't happen?"

"We can only wait until the AST gets destroyed or just make you charge in the middle of the chaos."

... I'm suddenly experiencing a lot of regret.

"Don't worry. We have an experienced team that will make sure she falls for you and helps you along the way."

She points at some people on the lower part of the bridge as she starts to introduce them.

This would be a good thing... But looking at what this 'team' is made of...

A man who has been divorced four times, a man who exclusively attracts women via money and never receives a second date, a lady who inexplicably curses her loved ones, a man who dates one hundred women... But they are all 2D, and a woman with a restraining order on her...

"...Hey, Kotori. Is this really going to work?"

"S-shut up... Everyone on the crew, their skills are certainly real! Anyway, just hurry up and go, before the AST or the spirit start to make a move!"

Kotori quickly puts something small in my ear before she starts to push me towards the transporter in the lower part of the bridge. Before I can complain, I hear her voice right beside me, which surprised me a bit.

"I put an intercom in your ear; we can communicate with you like this; if you are in trouble, tap that twice. There's also an invisible drone camera so we can see what is happening, so don't worry, we got you covered."

... Should I be relieved that right now I feel they actually know what they are doing, or should I feel despair that only now there is a small glimmer of hope?

Anyway, there is no going back. No matter what, I want to go.

If I said the reason I'm risking my life was for something like 'saving the world' it would be a lie.

 ... I just want to talk with them again.

My vision shifts quickly, and suddenly I find myself in front of the school. Being close to danger makes me quite nervous. As I calm myself, the voice from my sister comes from the intercom on my ear.

"Shido, are you hearing me? The spirit is on the second floor in a classroom; go inside quickly before the spirit goes outside or the AST finds you."

Quickly entering the familiar building, I follow Kotori's instructions on where the spirit is. As I get closer, a question suddenly makes me pause for a bit.

"By the way, which spirit is it again? Is it Princess or Assassin?"

"We didn't tell you? Well, it's neither. By the way, she's in the next classroom, so prepare yourself."

...Eh?

Neither? This is bad; I thought it would be at least one of the two I knew. Both of them already did something to make me scared, with Assassin pointing their sword at my neck and Princess actually attacking. I thought even if everything else failed, I could try to make them recognize me as the harmless guy they met before in order so they would not attack... But since it's someone new, this plan is a no-go. I was nervous before, but now I'm even more so, for a different reason.

...And this spirit is just beyond the door I'm standing in front of.

I'd be a lot more nervous if Kotori wasn't screaming instructions at me about how to communicate with her over the intercom.

She also mentioned that this spirit was more calmer than the other two, which was helpful in calming me down... But then she stated they were also a lot more dangerous, almost sending me back into a panic.

... It can't be helped; I've gone through too much to quit up now. I open the door with conviction after discreetly practicing my introduction.

... The sun's rays blind me for a split second, yet I can still see her.

She was floating above one of the seats near the window in the familiar classroom.

Her silver eyes met mine, and the words I was going to say slipped from my mouth. She moved her hand gently toward me, and in less than a second...

A ray of light passes by my side...

My mind, which had been fascinated by that beautiful sight, begins working again. Looking slowly at the door, I notice a hole that was not there before.

... I had nearly forgotten she was dangerous.

"Shido! Are you okay?!"

I nodded, but wow, was that a harsh awakening... My life is in danger right now, so I must focus! Suddenly, a lot of new objects come out of thin air, all aiming at me. If they can all do half of what the last one did... The idea itself makes me shudder.

There is only one thing I could think of to say in this situation.

WHY ME?!

Back from the dead... Back again.

Only to die next week...

I really want Christmas to arrive soon so I can actually live.

I WANT TO LIVE!

Anyway, the butterfly effect starts to take place. The main character meets the main character.

More stuff will happen next time. If I can stay alive until then, that is...

And as always, thanks for reading!

74