They say,
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There once was an empire, not far nor near. It was home to the most ruthless of creatures. Hidden behind painted skin and feathered fans. It was as big as it could be, controlling the rivers and the fields. 

These creatures spilled more blood than they could drink. They destroyed more than they could fill. With the looks of a rose and the scent of a corpse, they could bewitch any who were unfortunate enough to encounter them.

Yet such a ruthless creature also had a heart. A heart that could beat and a heart that could yearn. A heart that feared another more treacherous than itself.

Another who spilled more blood. Another who treated other species as nothing but livestock. Another who prided itself on its own cruelty, who thrived in the victory gained from sacrificing its own blood.

One who brought ruin to the land it roamed in. Erasing the lives of both innocent and guilty. Spreading like a disease, overthrowing the rule of those ruthless and taking the land belonging to someone else.

The blood seeped into the soil and rendered it infertile. leaving a scar on the earth that held this empire. Bringing to ruin what was there and building what was not. The rivers disappeared and the fields buried, yet the ghost of this empire remains in what is left. A grave that nobody can see. A death with nobody left to mourn.

Newer buildings came to be, and these treacherous creatures ruled the lands. Forgetting those of old and erasing history as it would have been. Worshipping machines they built for decades.

Yet, they love to remind each other of what would have been.

Twisting the past to fit their tastes and drowning sorrow in fantasy.

There is a saying. 

It goes,

                                                    That the land remembers everything.

"Arghh! And there goes my science project, down the drain! Down the drain!"                     

"Oh please. Stop your whining, how was I supposed to know that the moldy dish soap was your stupid project?" 

It was an early autumn morning. Unfortunately, despite the pleasant weather and the sun rising a little early, somebody's science project could not be saved. And since it could not be saved, why should someone else's money be saved?

"It was my painstaking efforts of five days! My beloved pocket money was wasted on dish soap! How dare you call it moldy dish soap?! It was my homemade sliiiime!" The boy continued whining, trying his best to sound aggrieved and wronged. However, it was only annoying the young man wiping the counter.

"Everett, there's more dish soap in the kitchen cabinet. I'm sure you can get another egg and make another- what was it?- slime." Throwing the rag on the counter, he turned around to face the younger. "And how is such an unsafe, gross, toy supposed to represent science?"

"Well. I was trying to show a chemical reaction through my slime! It would have given me all full 25 points I'm sure! Nobody else would have thought of such a magnificent idea as mine!" Taking a second to bite his sandwich, Everett continued complaining while swinging his legs. Making sure to glance at his brother once or twice in the process. 

His brother Ellis was seven years older than him. He had started school late and had dropped out to support them both when their parents passed away. At the time, Everett was only eight years old. Now, six years had passed and Ellis was still working to support his education. Handling both home affairs and outside affairs. It was a daily routine for the both of them to quibble a bit in the morning while Ellis prepared his lunch and did small chores here and there. 

"Well, You could make another more sensible project representing chemical change. When's the deadline anyways? As long as there are more than two days, you can make something else or re-make your.." He stopped there, glancing at the drain.

"Slime. My slime." Everett finished his brother's sentence. Ignoring his momentum forgetfulness.

"Yeah, your slime. Anyways. There are more than two days right?" Bingo. His brother was getting worried. If he doesn't exploit this moment and snatch his 2 dollars, he won't be able to remain as the no.1 anymore!

"Nooo! That's the problem! I gotta submit it tomorrow!" Ellis,  who had already turned back to wiping the counters again stopped his work and turned to face his brother. " alright, there's a five under my pillow. Grab whatever you need or get another pre-made slime. I'm sure I've seen solidified dish soaps in a shop somewhere. That is it right?"

 Bag the money and go to school. Mission success.

1