Chapter 32 – The Cunning Merchant Captain
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the days following Pelian's miraculous renewal, merchant captain Zander found himself baffled by the abrupt change in the island's fortunes. His ships had brought much-needed supplies to relieve the gnawing famine, but the land itself now seemed to overflow with plenty. Fields that should have lain barren were suddenly heavy with ripe crops. Orchards dripped with fruit overnight. It was as though the hand of divine providence had swept away scarcity in one grand gesture.

During his long career traversing the Ten Isles and beyond, Zander had witnessed many strange phenomena. But nothing to explain this overnight reversal from desolation to abundance. He sniffed something uncanny on the winds - powerful magic was undoubtedly involved. But whose hand had worked this "miracle"? And toward what ends?

Casual inquiries among grateful locals linked the phenomenon to the newly arrived Princess Amara. Rumours spoke of her wielding unknown sorcery to vanquish threats and heal the land. But details remained maddeningly vague. Some even whispered she commanded dread spirits from beyond the veil.

Zander's curiosity was well and truly piqued. He had more cause than most to investigate mysteries. For beneath his merchant's guise, he was a hunter of secrets tied to the occult antiquity of these islands. If this unfamiliar sorceress had tapped into deep powers, he must learn more. Discretion was called for, however. Zander had many secrets of his own to guard.

Adopting his merchant mien, Zander mingled congenially with soldiers and townsfolk, turning conversations casually toward Princess Amara and her strange abilities. Most normals had witnessed little, but superstitious minds embroidered plenty from hearsay. Wild tales spun of her summoning storms, conjuring demons, and other dubious feats. But one grizzled soldier's account gave him pause.

"Aye, I was there when she first come," the veteran told Zander over cups in a dingy tavern. "We all saw her produce some kind of carved skull mid-battle, glowin' eerie-like. Summoned a right unnatural tempest right afterwards too! Never seen the like before or since." He shook his head before downing his drink.

Zander hid his sudden excitement behind another sip. Could that glowing skull have been one of the fabled Hallow Skulls? In his extensive research, those mythic relics were known to possess incredible powers tied to ancient rites of the pleasure goddess. If Princess Amara had managed to obtain one, it might explain much. Here was a momentous lead if he could discreetly confirm the truth of it. The potential knowledge to be gained justified significant risks.

Over subsequent days, Zander watched for opportunities to glean more about this mysterious newcomer who had so completely turned events on Pelian to her favour. By all accounts, she spent much time ministering to the people, especially the poor. Her policies were just, without being doctrinaire. And she showed uncommon wisdom for one so young. Perhaps there was more to her than occult meddling, he thought.

When she announced a feast welcoming his trade delegation, Zander was intrigued to finally meet Princess Amara in person. He went prepared to charm and ingratiate himself if needed to get close to her. But the young woman he was introduced to bore little resemblance to the dire rumours. Friendly and humble, but with an undeniable air of authority. Not a sorceress to be trifled with, but neither one to fear, if approached rightly.

Zander bowed gracefully over her proffered hand. "Your Highness, you have worked miracles here. Please allow me to offer my ships' services whenever you have need." Flowery words cost nothing when more was at stake.

Amara's smile seemed open and guileless. "The honour is mine, good captain. Unity brought prosperity back to Pelian." She gestured toward the banquet tables. "Come, let us speak more of how trade and knowledge might yet aid the cause."

So began several congenial conversations between them that evening. Zander was careful not to overplay his hand too quickly. He laughed at appropriate moments, subtly flattered the princess, and feigned only polite interest in her unusual abilities. But inwardly his mind churned with thoughts of how he might contrive a closer look at this Hallow Skull if his guess proved true. Fortune had presented him a potent opportunity if he crafted his approach cleverly enough. The prize might soon be within grasp.

In the following days, Zander found excuses to call upon Amara and provide her select wares "as gifts to mark their new friendship and prosperity shared." She remained gracious if slightly reserved toward his familiarity. But no doors were barred to him yet. Zander bided his time patiently. The longer he could lull any suspicions, the better his chances of confirming whether she indeed bore a Hallow Skull. Its secrets long obsessed him, but might soon be unlocked if he played the game perfectly.

His casual mention of having studied some magic himself opened potential avenues. "I would be honoured to show your Highness my modest collection of arcane artefacts if you have such interest," Zander proposed lightly one morning over tea. "Your scholarly knowledge surely exceeds mine, but I've gathered a few intriguing curiosities."

He held his breath, watching Amara closely. After a moment considering she gave a polite nod. "I would be delighted to view these rarities, Captain. Any wisdom from abroad aids my mission here."

Zander let out his held breath, giving no sign of his inward triumph. His scholarly facade had worked perfectly. Soon he would contrive some pretext to examine her belongings and confirm if the Hallow Skull lay among them. Pleasant diversions could distract her languor until it was too late...

But Zander realized suddenly his smile had frozen awkwardly on his lips. Amara was regarding him oddly with her head cocked. "Is something amiss, Captain? You seem distracted." Her keen gaze remained innocently curious, untouched by suspicion. Zander cursed himself for drifting into reverie when he needed all wits about him.

He forced an easy laugh. "Apologies, my lady. I was merely considering which arcane objects in my collection you might find most edifying." He took her hand entreatingly. "Say you will come review them soon."

Amara's expression softened, though she withdrew her hand gently. "Of course. I know you are eager to share hard-won knowledge." Her smile returned, but more restrained. "We must find the time before my return to Cerulean."

Zander murmured acquiescence, but inwardly he seethed. He had overplayed his hand somehow and roused her wariness. Cunning minds sensed the traps of others. Now she would be guarded, denying him free access. Waiting further was too risky. Before she withdrew beyond reach, he must find some pretext to get near the prize immediately. But how?

Inspiration struck suddenly. "Highness, I have just recalled something that may interest you," Zander exclaimed with feigned excitement. "We uncovered mantras inscribed in a language unknown to me. You have knowledge of ancient tongues - will you examine these writings?" It was thin pretext, but may suffice.

Amara looked briefly surprised before nodding assent. "I am always eager to help translate the past's lost wisdom." She gestured for him to lead on. "Show me these cryptic writings, by all means."

Bowing deferentially, Zander hurried off making excuses about preparing suitable materials in his quarters. His mind raced as he pretended to gather mysterious scrolls and occult implements to disguise his true goal. If he could get her defences down but briefly, it may be long enough...

When Amara arrived shortly after, he strove to play the role of eager scholar to the hilt, unfurling random documents and gushing nonsense. She played along graciously, perhaps simply humouring his dramatic antics. Zander prattled, watching for his chance. Her bag with its precious hidden cargo lay temptingly near...

But as he stretched out a stealthy hand, Amara suddenly rose, politely but firmly taking her leave. "You are a most generous host, good Captain, but other duties call me." Her tone brooked no debate. "We shall speak again soon." Zander could only bow in impotent frustration as she retreated rapidly from his improvised sanctum.

Cursing himself thrice over for his clumsy over-eagerness, Zander slammed a fist down. BOOM! He had squandered this golden chance and had only himself to blame. Now Amara would keep her distance, ever wary. Reclaiming her trust sufficiently would require time he did not have. Soon she would depart, taking the tantalizing prize with her. His hopes of unlocking the Hallow Skull's secrets would evaporate unless he found some method to waylay her.

But what cunning could succeed when guile and charm had both failed? Amara had proven herself an adversary not to be underestimated. How could he thwart her plans and buy himself more opportunity? The answer eluded him tauntingly.

Zander paced as the hours passed, grinding his teeth. Perhaps only audacity remained. If he arranged some brazen pretext to seize the Skull openly, claiming he acted on behalf of Pelian's people to safeguard them from its magic... Yes, let righteousness be his veneer, and urgency his spur! The distasteful role of zealot could serve its purpose once played.

Galvanized by desperation, Zander hurried out to set this new ploy in motion before fate's sands fully slipped away. One chance of success remained, if he could but mould confusion and fear to his advantage swiftly enough. The prize beckoned so near, it could not elude his grasp now! He swore to the ancient spirits he would not be denied. By guile or might, the key to unlimited pleasures now within his reach would be his. The Hallow Skull would unlock its secrets to him alone, or be smashed open in the attempt!

0