Chapter 34 – The Haughty Thief And The Ruthless Rogue
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amara rose with the dawn. Today she sailed for Cerulean again at last, her task on Pelian complete. But a pall of foreboding hung over her. Ominous night visions still clung like spiderwebs to her spirit, resisting her attempts to shake them off. She prayed the unease was born only of natural anxiety at returning changed to her childhood home.

Rhys found her pacing on the balcony, gazing out over the harbour rather than hearing his repeated hails. Concern creased his brow. "You look haunted, Amara. What afflicts you?"

She shook her head, laughing shakily off the question. "Just disquiet before a great change. It will pass." But her eyes involuntarily went to the travelling sack lying packed and ready. After a hesitant moment, she directed her hands inside slowly.

Amara started to feel around, then froze. Dread coursed through her, colder than winter oceans. Hands trembling violently, she pried open the sack, heedless of Rhys's confusion. Her choked gasp echoed in the bedchamber's dead air.

"It is gone...stolen!" The sacred relic she had sacrificed so much to obtain, vanished like dust. Amara reeled as if physically struck.

Rhys grasped her shoulders, steadying her. "What's gone?" he demanded urgently. "The Hallow Skull?" At her mute nod, he spun to examine the room, hand dropping to his sabre. "How? When?"

Amara could only shake her head, her mind was still blank with shock. She had been so careful secreting the Skull when not in use. None outside her inner circle even knew of its existence. Its theft seemed impossible, yet the bare sack mocked her terribly.

Heavy footsteps approached. Rhys eased his half-drawn blade back as Governor Gormand appeared, wheezing from his rapid climb. "My lady, our party awaits below ready to embark for Cerulean on your word!" His smile faltered at their stricken expressions. "Is something amiss?"

Amara forced herself to straighten and answer evenly. "We have suffered an unforeseen loss. Our departure must wait upon its recovery." At the Governor's baffled look, she continued. "I will explain below. Alert the men discreetly to bolster fortifications and stand vigilant."

As Gormand hurried off, Amara turned to grip Rhys's shoulders. "Speak nothing of this to any soul until we understand it better ourselves." At his nod she released him and strode for the door, anger kindling now beneath the shock. "But there is one who may have answers..."

Zander looked up from tallying inventory logs as his cabin door crashed open violently to rebound off the panelled wall. Before he could react, callused hands seized his tunic and slammed him back brutally against the shelves. Air whooshed from his lungs at the impact. Blinking pain from his eyes, he found himself staring into Rhys's livid features.

"How did you do it, you greasy worm?" the rogue captain snarled inches from his face. "Did you think the princess wouldn't notice her treasure stolen?" He drew a dagger, pressing the tip just under Zander's jaw. "Start talking!"

Zander forced a baffled frown, trying not to choke on his own pounding heart. "What is this mad aggression? I've stolen nothing!" He made himself meet the other's bright fury. "Unhand me at once!"

Rhys leaned closer, his grip tightening until Zander yelped involuntarily. "Enough lies! The only reason you're not dead already is you're more use confessing. The Skull - where is it?"

Zander wheezed, clawing at Rhys's vice-like hands. His mind spun desperately. Clearly these two had discovered the artefact missing from Amara's chambers, though not yet his hand behind its vanishing. He must brazen this out and turn accusation back on them.

"The only skull I know of is your own, addled with rum and jealousy!" He forced scorn into his pained gasps. "I warn you, pirate, this outrage will not go unpunished!"

Before more heated words could pass between them, light footsteps entered the cabin behind Rhys. The rogue released Zander and stepped back with visible reluctance as Amara moved into view, holding up a hand sternly. "Enough. I will not have violence done here lest we become savages."

Zander simpered, straightening his rumpled tunic. "Wise words as ever, Highness. Command this rogue cur to heel before things become unseemly." He moderated his voice carefully. Her words supported his pose of ignorance if he could but sustain it.

Rhys looked to Amara defiantly. "You know he's lying! No other could have taken it." His fury remained barely contained.

Amara's level gaze took them both in. "I do not accuse or absolve any man lightly. Evidence must guide us, not rashness." She turned her focus to Zander. "But a relic of import has gone missing. For the good of all, I must know your mind in this." Her eyes pleaded for truth.

Zander spread his hands, the picture of wounded innocence. "I confess I am mystified. But you have my every cooperation of course." He hesitated. "Have you spoken to the servant girl, Anya? She seemed enamoured of you. Perhaps jealousy or avarice moved her hand?" He sighed regretfully. "Covetous weakness afflicts even the best of us."

Amara looked thoughtful. "She has served me kindly since I got here, but all possibilities must be weighed. Please reflect on anything that could enlighten this mystery." Her tone softened entreatingly. "I know you desire only harmony here."

Zander bowed. "You are too gracious, Highness. I will meditate on what local troubles could have brought about such mischance." Let them chase false trails. Time only expanded his advantages.

With a grateful smile, Amara withdrew, her compatriot, Rhys was still scowling suspiciously but following her lead. Zander gave them a charitable nod before shutting the door firmly. His ruse seemed to have allayed their doubts for the moment. Breathing easier, he dropped the guise of affability, turning to consult his stolen prize. Lingering risks remained, but the future beckoned radiant.

Back in Amara's chambers, she turned on Rhys in exasperation. "What were you thinking, accosting him so? We need allies now, not further enemies!" She paced, brows knitted anxiously. The implications of this loss could be ruinous.

But Rhys looked unrepentant. "He is too glib by half. My guts say the snake is complicit in this." His eye narrowed. "You are too trusting, Amara. Not all snakes hide their fangs."

Amara sighed as her own doubts resurfaced. "Perhaps not. But we need more than suspicions before acting. I know he desires something of me, but would he truly risk so much? We must pray patience brings revelations."

Further debate was forestalled by Governor Gormand arriving wheezing. "What keeps us, Highness? The men await only your word to sail!" At Amara's torn look, he pressed on. "Surely affairs of state must take precedence for one called to rule? Let vulgar thieves keep their sordid spoils."

Rhys looked outraged, but Amara stilled him with a look. As much as it galled her, broader concerns outweighed the lost relic. Was this not a test of wisdom long overdue? She must not falter now.

Schooling her voice to calm she said, "You speak with reason, Governor. We depart at once." Amara exited before either man glimpsed the lone tear escaping down her cheek. Simmering fury warred with bone-deep sorrow. But the rudder must be grasped. However the tides tossed, she would steer her people safe to harbour or sink trying. That vow must sustain her through the storms now fast approaching.

 

0