Chapter 23: First Day
313 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the two suns arose in the east, Drew was welcomed to a new day. Pulling the sheets off himself, Drew glanced over at his beeping communication device wrapped around one of the pillars supporting the bunk beds. It was 7:00 o'clock, January 12th, Year 0474 IE, and officially the first day of classes at Star. 

"Morning," Drew heard Elias call from above. 

"Mornin'," Drew replied as he detached his communication device from the pillar before putting it on his wrist. 

"You're the last one up!" Elias stated as he pointed towards Rider's and Jay's bunkbeds. 

>>>

Just last night, Drew, Elias, and Rider had learned that the name of their final roommate was Jay Crossford. He was, in fact, the son from some wealthy family that did some 'business' in Yerburn but he said he had nothing to do with it before storming out of the room. His blue and violet eyes piercing theirs as he turned to shut the door. Judging from his reaction, it seems as though he doesn't like talking about his family. Considering he is from a rather wealthy family, there are probably some internal conflicts that he's potentially involved with. Drew doesn't expect him to automatically come clean with it as it had only been one day since he and the others had met him. Moreover, Drew was in a similar situation where he couldn't exactly talk about his family freely thus, he understood why Jay stayed silent. After all, it is quite rude to get a person to divulge their secrets without their consent or when they feel as though the time is ripe.   

>>>

"Seriously!" Drew exclaimed, his eyes widening. "I thought I woke up early." 

"Nah," Elias laughed hoping over the rails of his bunk bed, landing on the floor gracefully without making a single sound. "Rider has been up since 6:30 and I haven't seen Jay since last night. After storming out last night, I think he came back here around 1 or 2 AM before waking up around 6:00." 

Drew sighed. Sometimes Elias was incredible in the weirdest ways possible. 

"You are quite observant for someone who is sleeping."

"Hey, even though I'm asleep, I can still hear things. Ya know, I ain't deaf." He retorted.

"Anyhow, shouldn't we get going? We have class today." Drew said opening up his wardrobe. 

Elias smirked. 

"Sure. Don't wanna be tardy on our first day amiright?" 

>>>

It was now 8:00 o'clock. Drew and Elias had met Wan in the lobby before heading off to the main campus. 

"Wow!" She awed looking at both of them with sparkling eyes. "You guys look great in those uniforms of yours." 

"Thanks, Wan," Elias replied combing through his overly gelled hair. "You look great as well."

The male uniform consisted of a white collared dress shirt; a blue blazer lined with golden fabric and Star's emblem, a four-sided star shaped like a diamond, embroidered on the left breast of it; a white pin the was attached to the blazer indicating that they were first years; a black silk tie that was clipped together with a red pin implying that they were in Low-Class A; and black jean-like pants. On the other hand, the female uniform consisted of the same things except for the bottom which, instead of pants was a black knee-length skirt and stockings. Despite the uniform not looking very 'warm' considering the season, it was very 'warm' as each uniform was specially tailored to adjust the temperature depending on the season and the weather. These adjustments could also be made manually from one's communication device depending on the person's preference. It's a shame that bags are not provided as the trio had to purchase their own but they weren't in Nexos, only Star.  

"Shall we," Drew interrupted pointing to a paved pathway the lead to the main campus.

Nodding their heads, the trio proceeded to head for the main campus, where all their classes would be held. 

From the dorms to the main campus, it took approximately a ten-minute walk. Along the way, the trio discussed their dorm experience. 

"So how have the first couple of days in the dorms been for you?" Drew asked Wan. 

Wan adjusted the strap on her backpack. "It's been pretty good. I'm on the fourth floor and all my roommates seem pretty nice. Oh, Sylvia is also in my room even though we both went for a 'random roommate' on the application." 

"What a strange coincidence!" Elias commented. 

"I know, what are the odds? But I got to know Sylvia a little better. She's very humble and also the cleanest person in our room although, she can be a little persistent when it comes to things like getting up and leaving on time, she's reasonable." 

At least Wan was having a good experience. Drew thought. 

"That's nice to hear," Drew replied. 

"How about your other roommates?" Elias asked. 

Wan placed a finger on her chin. 

"They're pretty good as well. Chelsea is from an average family with both her parents working in the Heartman Foundation's Finance Department. There is also Brix who's a bit of a tomboy and her family owns a dojo." 

"Wait, you said Chelsea's parents work for the Former Third Prince's foundation?"

"Yeah, is there something wrong, Drew?" Wan asked in an innocent tone. 

She really did not know! Drew laughed like a maniac as he smacked himself on the forehead, stopping dead in his tracks. 

Elias looked at her with disbelief, his jaw-dropping to the snow-covered ground. This was one of the dumbest things Wan has said in her six months with Drew and Elias. It was freaking ludicrous how she didn't know what the Heartman Foundation was. 

"You're calling them average! Wan, do you realize how prominent the Heartman Foundation is?" 

"I know I'm a bit oblivious to these things but please enlighten me." 

Drew decided to elaborate. 

"The Heartman Foundation was established by the former Third Prince, Zachary Heartman, during his seventh year in the previous War of Royals. After he created the 'Morning Dew' and earned his billions, Heartman went off to form his own Foundation which placed him in second place in the War of Royals behind the winner and current King, Jason Varkem. With the help of Heartman's fame, the Foundation produced many medicine and regiments making them the main supplier in Kraus's medicine market. The Foundation itself generates a chunk of Kraus's annual revenue, approximately 900 billion Kalas a year. I can't believe you don't know this when Heartman is one of the hottest topics on Kraus. The man comes out with a new medicine every other week, each one being more effective than the last." 

"Oh, that makes sense!" Wan exclaimed. 

"Please don't ever pull that kind of stupidity on us ever again..." Elias sighed. "I think I might've gotten a migraine from that." 

"I'll actually read the news from now on," She pouted as if she were scolded by her parents.

"Forget about that," Drew interjected before pointing to a plain ten-story concrete building. "We're almost at our Class." 

Pushing open the doors to the building, the trio made their way up to the eighth floor where Room 589 resided. The building the trio was in was the Low-Class Building. It consisted of ten floors with two floors being reserved for each 'Letter Class'. The 'Letter Class' refers to the letter beside the 'Class Name'. For instance, Low-Class A. Low-Class is the Class Name while 'A' is the Letter Class. A is the highest Letter Class while E is the lowest. The higher the Letter Class, the higher the building level the Class is on. This logic does not apply to the Genius-Class as there is only one Genius Class per campus.

Because the trio were in Low-Class A Room 589, that meant that their class was on the ninth floor (A/N: Haha duckers you thought it was eighth but it was I...Di...the ninth floor). As the elevator ascended, the trio watched as other students left for their classrooms on the other floors before they were the only ones left. Arriving on the ninth floor, the elevator doors opened up to a long hallway. The hallway itself was plain: the walls were painted blue, tile lined the floor, and fourteen sliding doors with plaques on each one, seven on each side. Scanning the door plaques, the trio found that Room 589 was the door closest to the elevator to their left. 

Drew took the initiative and slide the door. There was still fifteen minutes before homeroom began and not many students had arrived in the classroom. Taking a look to their right, the trio saw a document projected by the overhead projector onto the long whiteboard mounted at the front of the classroom. On the document, there was a message written in large bold font: "Please find your seat." Below the font, there were rows and columns of desks, about thirty of them, five by six, each one labeled with a person's name. As he scanned the list, Drew found his name. He was assigned to a desk in the second-row, second-column. Once he found his own, he looked for Elias's and Wan's. It seemed that they weren't going to be sitting near each other but something shocked him that he didn't seem to notice his first time scanning the list. He was sitting next to Sylvia! Her seat was in the second-row, third-column, it was in the row right across from the teaching podium.

"It seems, you've gotten the Princess as your seat neighbor," Elias stated as he observed the names on the board. 

"Lucky..." Wan muttered with a hint of jealousy. "I wanted someone I know as my seat neighbor!" 

Drew chuckled as he checked the time on his communication device. There were still fifteen minutes before homeroom starts.  

"Beggars can be choosy." 

"Anyways, we should get set up, we've got a long day ahead of us," Elias said as he made his way over to his desk in the fifth row. 

"Yup," Wan agreed popping that 'p'. "Then, we'll talk during lunch. See ya." 

"Alright, see you two at lunch," Drew said as he left to get set up. 

>>>

The time was now eight-thirty, the final bell rang from the digital clock cum speaker hanging above the doorway of the classroom. All the students have sat down in their seats as they waited for their homeroom teachers to arrive to deliver the morning announcements. The sliding door opened, a familiar face emerged, the natural light filtering from the windows clarified that familiar face. It was John, the head of Star's Security Team, he hasn't changed a bit in the past six months. Instead of Security Officer uniform, he was dressed rather casually, wearing a blue down jacket, with Star's emblem embroidered on it, accompanied by a black turtle neck shirt, jeans, and brown leather snow boots. In his arms, he held a folder with a label that wrote Low-Class A Room 589. It seems he was going to be Low-Class A Room 589's homeroom teacher.

"Good morning students." He greeted placing the folder on the teaching podium, "Welcome to your official first day at Star. My name is Mr. Krishman, most of you may know me as the head of Security here at Star, and I will be your homeroom teacher as well as your history teacher for this year." 

"He's good looking," Drew heard one female student murmur. 

"Right! I wonder how old he is. To be this accomplished, that's incredible." Another one murmured replying to her friend's comment.  

"Tch," A guy snorted from behind Drew. "This isn't an anime. Anime logic doesn't work in real life dumbasses." 

Drew wanted to burst out into laughter after hearing his fellow classmate's comment. 

John, Mr. Krishman, clasped his hands together silencing the Class's scattered chatter.

"Now, do you have any questions for me since it's your first day?" 

A girl in the back row raised her hand. "Mr. Krishman, how old are you?" 

Mr. Krishman looked a little conflicted. He didn't want to give the female student a definite answer.  "I will keep my actual age disclosed but I will give you a hint. I'm not much older than all of you. Anyone else." 

Another female student raised her hand. "Mr. Krishman, what is your relationship status?" 

Suddenly, the whole Class gasped in union. Drew just whistled. Just how bold was this girl to ask him this question?

"I will also keep that disclosed. Anyone here with a 'serious' question?" 

The girl, not getting the response she wanted, drew her hand down in an embarrassed fashion. The Class won't be hearing from her for some time.

A male student raised his hand. "What is the average Rank that most students graduate from the Academy?"

"Most students, after four years, graduate a High D-Ranks or Low C-Ranks. If you truly put in the effort, you could achieve High C-Rank or even Low B-Rank, almost the same Rank as the Elite and Genius Classes graduate with." 

"What is the highest Rank someone had graduated from Star with?"  

"In all of Star's history, only one person has graduated here as a Mid A-Rank. But it was a shame that passed away not too long after..." 

"What's his name?" 

"Gareth de Winter." 

Drew was astonished. He knew his father was a genius but not to the point where he set the record on the highest Graduation Rank in all of Star's history that was out of his mind.

"You mean the legendary war hero?!" The same guy reacted in a surprised fashion. 

"That's him but, as I said earlier, it's a shame he passed away only seven years after...any other questions?" 

With no one else raising their hands, Mr. Krishman continued speaking. 

"Congratulations to all of you on making it in! In Star, you are considered the Low-Class but that doesn't mean that you are unintelligent nor lack talent. The class you are put in is relative to the average on the Entrance Exam and this entrance Exam was one of the 'easier' ones and thus, the people in this class are around similar intelligence and skill levels. Hence, everyone in this classroom is around Low E-Rank. Even the smartest students from various Compulsory Education Academies aren't considered 'geniuses' here. Here, you have proven that you are completely capable of taking on the challenges Star will give in these next four years. If you can overcome these challenges with hard work, who knows, you could surpass even students from the High or Elite Classes. Your Class is your 'Team' for this year so spend the time outside of class to get to know each other and grow together. Now, I will take attendance..." 

>>>

A few hours later, it was time for lunch. Students filed out of their classrooms, grouping up with their friends from the same or other classes as they rushed for the elevators. Drew, who was organizing his books in the compartment under his desk, was approached by Mr.Krishman who had just finished teaching the Class next door. 

Before he could speak with Drew, he was briefly interrupted by Elias. 

"Yo, Drew are you coming?" Elias called from the front of the classroom. 

"Yeah," Drew hollered, "just go without me. I'll meet you and Wan at the main dining hall." 

"Okay, see you there." Elias waved as he left the classroom to meet up with Wan at the elevators. 

"See you." Drew waved as Elias disappeared, noticing Mr. Krishman standing right in front of his metal desk. 

Mr. Krishman initiated the conversation. "So kid, you made it in. It seems you are doing better after that incident. Also, Star's 'minor' investment didn't go to waste." 

"It didn't. Although these last few months had been quite hectic for me." Drew replied with a wry smile. 

"I can tell," He chuckled. "your palms have blisters on them. Have you been training with the sword, perhaps?" 

Glancing down as his 'battle wounds' from months of tireless practice, Drew felt accomplished. 

"Yeah. More specifically a shortsword." 

Mr. Krishman cocked his head with a proud smirk on his face. 

"You're a Scout then?"

"That's about right," Drew responded.

"That's a hard Position. You have to be versed in a bit of everything." Mr. Krishman stated tapping his finger on Drew's desk. 

"It was rough and there are still things I'm still uncertain about. After all, I'm only a Low E-Class right now so what I'm capable of is a bit limited. " 

"True but you have Position Classes to help you clarify those 'things'. Additionally, you have four more years to discover your aptitude for the Position. I know some students that have switched Positions during their time at the Academy. Don't hesitate to if you feel like it. If you switch to Swordsman, I could help out with the adjustment." 

"Thanks," Drew said as he got up from his desk, slinging his backpack over his shoulder. "But with my current physique, I think I'm more suited for the Scout's Position anyways. However, if I do make that switch, I'll come for advice." 

"Hah," Mr. Krishman exhaled. "Well, if you need help, I'm always available at the Staff Room at the end of the hallway." 

"I'll drop by later. Who knows I might need it later down the line." 

"Well, it was nice talking with you. You should get going, your friends are waiting." 

Drew grinned as he slide the door. 

"I will, it was nice talking to you too."  

Alright! Another short and dirty chapter. We gain a little more context on Drew's father and we get to reunite with John. He will now be addressed as Mr. Krishman for formalities. Please have this committed to memory. No Drew Update since nothing has changed, yet. Next chapter we will get to see Gerald again. During this arc, we will be continuously flipping between the Academy and outside the Academy. WARNING: This arc will not be as fast paced as the first. Action will be delayed. Be prepared for thot slaying soon.

 

 

7