Chapter 2
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In an abandoned street, Yusei and Roman squared off. Akiza and Hana stood behind Yusei, ready to lend their support.

Yusei and Roman drew their cards. The two locked eyes for a moment, and then the duel began. Purple flames erupted from the ground, forming the shape of a spider that enclosed the duelists within its burning confines.

Back at the orphanage, the birthmarks of Jack and Luna suddenly glowed, signaling the start of Yusei and Roman's shadow duel. Martha guided the rest of the group into a nearby room for safety.

However, two girls, Molly and Anna noticed that three of their fellow orphans, Taka, John, and Mitch, were missing. Concerned for their well being, they urgently informed Martha of the situation.

Without hesitation, Martha and Jack rushed outside and saw the spider mark looming ominously in the sky. Martha ran off in search of the kids and Jack called after her. Trudge quickly joined Martha, determined to assist in the search.

Yusei drew his first card. He knew this duel would be tough, but he was determined to win. "I summon Shield Wing in defense mode!"

"Hmm...interesting." Roman chuckled and drew a card from his deck, studying it for a moment before placing it down on the field. "I activate my field spell, Spider Web!" he declared. The massive spider web appeared on the field, its strands stretching out to cover the entire area.

Roman grinned. "Whenever a non-insect type monster you control attacks, it gets switched to defense mode at the end of the damage phase. And it can't change its position until the end phase of your next turn," he explained.

With a wicked grin, Roman summoned the dark tuner, Spider Cocoon. Its presence sent shivers down Yusei's spine, though he remained focused. "Next I summon Dark Spider!" Roman declared. "And with its effect, I can raise Spider Cocoon's Level to 7!"

Then Roman initiated a dark synchro summon. He chanted hauntingly: "When the shadows are devoured by even darker shadows, the curtain pulls back and reveals a world without light! Come forth, Underground Arachnid!"

An ominous aura enveloped the field and a massive spider-like creature emerged.

Roman wasted no time activating Underground Arachnid's effect. "Once per turn, I can select a monster on your field, and equip it to my Arachnid and I choose your Shield Wing!" he shouted.

A web shot out from Underground Arachnid's mouth. It wrapped around Shield Wing and dragged it to Underground Arachnid's side.

A sly grin crossed Roman's face. "Now that you have nothing to protect you Underground Arachnid can attack directly!" he ordered.

The monstrous creature lunged forward, tossing Yusei back and causing his life points to plummet to 1600.

"No!" Akiza cried out as Yusei's life points dropped drastically. She clenched her fists tightly, feeling powerless to help from the sidelines. Hana stood next to her, gripping her arm in comfort.

"Yusei..." Akiza said under her breath.

Hana squeezed Akiza's arm reassuringly. "He can do this," she said firmly. "I've seen Yusei get out of tougher situations than this."

Akiza took a deep breath and nodded "You're right. Yusei won't be beaten that easily."

"It's my move!" Yusei pushed himself off the ground and drew his next card. "I summon Road Synchron!"

As the tuner appeared, Yusei's strategy took shape. He then activated the spell One for One. "By discarding Quillbolt Hedgehog, I can special summon Tuning Supporter! Tuning Supporter's level increases to 2!" Yusei continued, "I tune my monsters together and synchro summon Road Fighter!"

As Road Fighter materialized, Hana and Akiza cheered in excitement, hoping Yusei could turn this duel around.

"Road Fighter, use your Lightning Claw attack on Underground Arachnid!" Yusei commanded.

Roman's life points took a hit, dropping by 600. However, Underground Arachnid used Shield Wing as a shield, sacrificing it in the process.

Spider Web's effect came into play, suspending Road Fighter in webs and forcing it into defense mode, much to Yusei's dismay.

Roman chuckled darkly, relishing his advantage. "You see, Yusei, next turn I will use Underground Arachnid's effect to equip itself with Road Fighter and attack you directly once more, sealing my victory," he explained confidently.

Yusei activated Road Fighter's effect, special summoning Turbo Booster. Harnessing Turbo Booster's effect, Yusei targeted Underground Arachnid. "By activating this effect, I can destroy your Underground Arachnid!" he declared.

The deafening sound of destruction echoed as Underground Arachnid shattered into countless pieces, The tides of the duel had shifted, and Yusei was ready to fight his way back into the game.

As Hana watched the duel, she found herself stealing glances at Roman whenever she got the chance. Even though he was the enemy, she couldn't deny that she found Roman incredibly attractive. She felt a strange energy between them and wondered if Roman was feeling the same way. Whenever Roman caught her looking at him, her heart would race, and she would look away, her cheek flushing with embarrassment.

Noticing Hana's gaze, Roman drew his next card with a smirk. "Your friend over there seems...quite taken with me, despite my intentions," he taunted Yusei.

Yusei's expression darkened. "Leave Hana out of this. She has nothing to do with our duel."

Roman chuckled. "As you wish." But his eyes lingered meaningfully at Hana.

Yusei noticed Roman's gaze and snapped, "Hana, focus on the duel. Don't pay him any attention."

Hana nodded. "Right. Sorry, Yusei." She looked away from Roman, trying to push aside the confusing tension he had stirred within her.

Meanwhile, Trudge and Martha raced through the streets, their hearts pounding with worry. Taka found himself alone in a building overlooking the duel, his anxiety mounting as he feared being separated from John and Mitch.

As the duel continued, Akiza noticed John and Mitch rushing over to cheer for Yusei.

"Hana, what are those boys doing here?" she asked in concern.

Hana's eyes widened. "They must have followed us." In a loud voice, she called out, "John, Mitch, you need to run! It's not safe here."

John and Mitch froze in fear at Hana's urgent tone.

Roman activated his face down card. "It's too late for your little friends! I activate the Altar of the Bound Deity! Now once a turn during my standby phase for every monster on the field in defense mode the altar gains one Earthbound Immortal counter. When all four of the altar's counter flames have been lit, Bound Deity will grant me the power to summon one Earthbound Immortal from my deck."

As Roman's Altar of the Bound Deity gained its first Earthbound Immortal Counter, Yusei became increasingly aware of the danger. "I can't lose this battle. I have to figure out a way to stop him before he summons an Earthbound Immortal. That's the only way I can save those kids," he thought.

Roman started his turn by summoning Grand Spider in defense mode. As he set a card and ended his turn, Yusei began analyzing the situation. He knew he needed to reduce Roman's defending monsters, but destroying them in battle would trigger Spider Web, switching his monsters to defense mode.

Yusei said, "I activate Road Fighter's special ability! As long as it's on the field, I can special summon another monster from my deck, and I choose Speed Warrior!"

Roman countered, "That won't be enough Yusei. When Grand Spider is in defense mode, its ability places one of your monsters in defense mode. Back off, Speed Warrior!"

Speed Warrior switched to defense mode, as Roman hoped. With three monsters now in defense position, Akiza worried that Roman would summon his Earthbound Immortal next turn.

However, Yusei didn't give up and activated Advance Draw, releasing Road Fighter to draw two cards.

Roman saw this as a desperate move to reduce his defending monsters. "What a waste. You must be truly scared if you throw away your best card. Either way you're only delaying your defeat."

"Oh yeah, if you think Road Fighter's my best card then wait till you get a load of Turret Warrior. He's summoned to my field automatically when I sacrifice Speed Warrior and there's more. See, all of my Warrior's attack points are transferred to him as a bonus. It seems that instead of an Earthbound Immortal you're still stuck with your spider, but let's see what we can do about that Roman."

Yusei released Speed Warrior to summon Turret Warrior, whose attack points rose to 2100, then commanded, "Turret Warrior, attack Grand Spider!"

Once Grand Spider was destroyed, Spider Web triggered again, switching Turret Warrior to defense mode. But Yusei had managed to reduce Roman's defending monsters to just one.

Yusei set a card and ended his turn, determined to find a way to end the duel before Roman's Earthbound Immortal could be summoned.

Trudge and Martha rushed through the abandoned street, following the trail of purple flames burning fiercely along the ground. They hurried up several flights of stairs inside one of the dilapidated buildings, so they could go to get a better view of the chaos below.

As they looked out the broken windows at the flaming geoglyph below, Martha gasped as she spotted John and Mitch huddled fearfully inside the perimeter of purple flames, unable to escape. Yusei stood facing Roman at the center of the geoglyph, while Hana and Akiza stood behind him.

"Look at them, they're trapped in there!" she shouted, pointing at John and Mitch.

"They'll be fine. Once the duel's done they'll both be free." Trudge reassured her.

Akiza called desperately up to Trudge and Martha from where she stood near Yusei, "No, you're wrong! If Roman summons an Earthbound Immortal they'll be lost..their spirits taken! Please help!"

Martha cried out in panic, "Yusei, yeah up here! Don't even think about losing this duel!" Her words echoed across the site.

Down below, Yusei gave Martha a nod and glanced at John and Mitch who watched the duel fearfully from within their fiery cage. He grit his teeth, knowing the fate of those boys rested on the outcome of this duel.

Trudge put a comforting hand on Martha's shoulder. "Have faith in Yusei. He won't let those boys get hurt. He'll find a way to win this."

Martha took a shaky breath. "I hope you're right." She watched anxiously as the duel continued, desperately hoping Yusei could prevail and save John and Mitch.

Roman began his turn and the second flame lit up on the altar. He said, "How touching, but you don't have a choice in the matter. You've tried your best to delay the inevitable but I'm afraid that it's just too late, young fool. I play my trap card and activate Offerings To The Bound Deity. Now if I take my life points and divide them, two more torches are suddenly lit." Roman said as his life points dropped to 1700 and two more torches were lit.

Hana and Akiza looked on in horror as the ritual was completed and Roman's Earthbound Immortal was about to be summoned.

Akiza cried out, "No! It's too late!" She gripped Hana's arm tightly.

Hana shouted desperately, "Yusei, do something! Stop him before it's too late!"

Though she knew there was likely nothing Yusei could do now that Roman had gained all four counters.

Roman laughed cruelly. "The four counters are ablaze! Let the summoning begin!"

The shrine started to glow and implode, shooting a beam of purple light into the sky. Within it, the Earthbound Immortal heart appeared and began to beat as it sucked up the black fog that poured from the beam.

Roman explained, "Those are streams of negative energy that are needed to power up my Earthbound Immortal. And it's time I provide it with more!"

Yusei's heart raced as he looked over at John and Mitch, who started to transfigure into purple light. "No!" yelled Yusei.

Hana cried, "We have to do something!"

Akiza shouted desperately, "But there's nothing we can do!"

Everyone worried it was too late for the boys. Then suddenly, Jack arrived on his duel runner, ramping through the flames. He made his way over to the boys and exited his runner, putting his arms over them protectively.

His birthmark emitted a bubble that surrounded the boys, shielding them from Roman's Earthbound Immortal. John and Mitch clung to Jack, relieved to be saved.

Hana sighed in relief, "Jack saved them!"

Akiza added, "That's a relief!"

Roman grinned maniacally as he cried out, "It makes no difference. I still have him, Earthbound Immortal, Uru!"

The ground shook and the sky darkened. A huge black and red spider the size of a skyscraper emerged from the purple flames, towering over the area. Its eyes glowed with a sinister red light, and it let out a deafening roar.

Just as the Earthbound Immortal was summoned, Leo, Luna, and Mina arrived on scene to witness the duel.

Hana and Akiza gasped at the monstrous size of Uru.

"It's..Its huge!" Akiza cried anxiously.

Hana wondered if Yusei even stood a chance against the Earthbound Immortal.

"Yusei, how about you squash that thing so we can go home," Jack said.

"Right...that spider's done for," Yusei said through gritted teeth.

Roman chuckled condescendingly. "You sure you want to do that Yusei? After all it's practically family," he said with mock sympathy.

Yusei narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "What do you mean?" he asked warily.

Roman grinned slyly. "Are you telling me you don't know the truth? Your own dad helped free the shadow army."

Yusei's eyes widened in shock. "No! He'd never do that!"

Roman shrugged mockingly. "But you know it's the truth, Yusei. Your father designed the original Ener-D reactor that exploded. Without him none of this would be possible."

Yusei shook his head vehemently. "No. He was good. All he wanted to do was help," he said adamantly.

Roman sneered. "Help his bank account you mean. You see he didn't care about all the safeguards or security precautions, he wanted to turn the thing on and see how fast it would make him a millionaire and I should know after all I was there with him."

"But how?" Yusei asked in disbelief.

Roman replied smugly "He was my boss you fool. I worked with him with my brother, one Rex Goodwin."

Yusei looked at him in shock.

Roman continued, "It all began when you were just a baby. My brother, Rex and I worked for your father at the original Ener-D reactor site. There were fears that should it spin in reverse a huge blast of negative energy would be released which is just what we...I mean I wanted. Your father was too obsessed with success to see it allowing me to sabotage the whole project and then boom there went your father's life's work."

Yusei clenched his fists angrily. "That means it was you, you caused all this!" he accused.

Roman grinned wickedly. "Who else?"

Yusei demanded "So then the explosion wasn't an accident. Did Goodwin help you, Roman? Was all of this your brother's idea?"

"I wish we could stand around and chat all day but the Netherworld is waiting. Earthbound Immortal Uru attack!"

Uru unleashed its attack, but Yusei was ready. "I play my trap, Iron Resolve. Now if I cut my life points in half I get to stick around and fight for another round, Roman." Yusei said firmly.

Roman scowled, knowing that his plan had failed. But he wasn't one to give up easily. Setting a card face down, he ended his turn, waiting for Yusei to make his next move.

The building Martha and Trudge were in suddenly started shaking violently. Trudge grabbed Martha just before she fell over. Martha heard Taka cry out from overhead.

Trudge and Martha made their way up to the roof, finding Taka cowering in fear with Taka at the lower end and Trudge and Martha at the higher part.

Martha began climbing down toward Taka. She said kindly, "Don't worry but what do you say we try and help Yusei from downstairs on the ground."

Trudge reached out his hand and helped Taka into the doorway. But Martha slipped and slid to the other end of the roof.

Hana watched anxiously from below. Martha tried climbing back up but slid down again. She shouted up at Trudge and Taka, "You two stay there! I can't climb back up."

Trudge yelled, "Don't give up!" But Martha smiled and replied, "Promise me one thing...please watch over my kids when i'm gone."

Hana, Akiza and Yusei gasped as Martha slid off the edge of the building and transfigured into a blob of light, sucked into the Immortal.

"NOOOO!!!" Hana cried out, tears streaming down her face as Martha sacrificed herself. The woman who had saved her all those years ago now selflessly gave her life to save another child.

Trudge and Taka began slipping down the roof, prompting Akiza to yell, "No, not them too!"

Trudge managed to grab onto the doorway frame, pulling himself and Taka back onto solid ground. They stumbled into the stairwell, shaken but alive.

Yusei turned to Roman, anger burning in his eyes. "You're gonna pay for this!"

Hana watched nervously as Yusei drew his card and began to strategize. She knew that this was a crucial moment in the duel, and that the fate of both Yusei and the world hung in the balance. But she had faith in Yusei's abilities, and she knew that he would find a way to win.

Yusei summoned Junk Synchron and used its effect to revive Turbo Booster from the graveyard. "Now I tune Junk Synchron with Turret Warrior!"

Junk Synchron warped into 3 shining rings, encasing Turret Warrior.

Yusei continued, "I synchro summon, Stardust Dragon!"

Stardust Dragon let out a mighty roar as it materialized, wings shining brightly.

Roman scoffed. "You're a fool just like your father. Why else would you put your pathetic beast up against my mighty Immortal?"

Yusei met Roman's eyes firmly. "Roman you're the fool. I know I can't hurt your monster because of its special ability but that's not what i plan on doing. Stardust Dragon, show him what I mean!"

Stardust Dragon began its attack on Roman.

"Defeating your monster was never part of my plan. I know I can't attack Uru but that leaves only one target and i'm sure you can guess who that is!" Yusei continued.

Roman clenched his fist in anger. "How dare you!"

Yusei countered, "Well that's what you get for ruining my father's life's work. Now prepare to feel the wrath of my mighty beast. Stardust Dragon take out the only target left...Roman!"

Roman laughed cruelly. "Well not so fast. I activate Spider Egg. With this in play, I can stop your attack and hatch three new spider tokens. I hope you didn't think I would let the rest of my life points be destroyed by your dragon."

Yusei set a card. "I'll get you yet, Roman. It's your turn."

Roman laughed and changed into a purple glow, as he replaced himself with Rally. Rally stood motionless, bearing the spider mark and holding Roman's duel disk.

Yusei started running towards Rally. "Rally!" he yelled in horror.

Roman laughed from atop the web. "Miss your friend? I freed his spirit so he could duel you instead of me."

Yusei grit his teeth in anger. "You can't! I won't duel my friend!"

But Roman only smirked, enjoying the torment he was causing. "You have no choice. You're either going to attack and win or be attacked and lose. Now then what will it be? Are you going to battle your closest friend or just stand there and let the world down in order to save this one pathetic pal of yours," he said.

"Yusei, I appreciate your concern, but I have to do this. We can't let the Dark Signers get away with what they've done," Rally said.

Yusei watched as Rally executed his play, summoning Turbo Rocket to the field. He urged Rally to stop and attack him instead, but Rally shook his head. "We need you. Me and Tank and everyone are trapped. I know you'd rather get sent to the Netherworld than duel me, Yusei. That's why I have to end this duel on my own terms!"

Rally tuned Turbo Booster and Turbo Rocket together, fusing them into Turbo Booster Cannon. Yusei's eyes widened as he witnessed Rally's strategy unfold.

Rally explained, "I activate my Cannon's special ability. I can destroy any monster on the field and then half its attack points count as damage to its owner and no one said whose monster I have to choose. I destroy Earthbound Immortal Uru! Find a new pawn, Roman!"

Turbo Cannon soared across the field, its cannons unleashing a devastating blast that targeted Uru. The explosion shattered the Immortal's imposing form into fragments.

As the explosive aftermath settled, Rally's life points plummeted to zero, and he was violently thrown backward. Yusei quickly moved to catch him. "Rally! Hang in there!"

Rally's voice weakened as he spoke, "Yusei, you can bring us back...I know you will..." With those final words, Rally transformed into black fog, disappearing into the wind.

The five Dark Signers then appeared overhead on a cliff. Roman spoke up first, breaking the tense silence. "Well I certainly wasn't expecting that outcome. No wonder the human race is going extinct, no one's selfish anymore."

Devack chimed in, "Now be kind they did just lose some friends to the shadows."

Kalin, the Dark Signer with the giant birthmark, laughed maniacally. "Your pals are with us and all the others lost from this trash heap you call a town. Wanna get them back...well i'm right here, Yusei or are you scared," he taunted.

Yusei spoke up, his expression serious. "Yeah i'm scared...scared about what i'm going to do to you, Kalin. As far as i'm concerned your dark decks are about to be destroyed."

One of the Dark Signers held up a card and identified it as the one Luna had been searching for. "I believe this card should be in your deck. Now if you want to get this card back you'll have to come battle me. And in case you're wondering who I am, my name is Devack, and I bear the mark of the monkey," he said, rolling up his sleeve to reveal the mark.

Luna gulped and eyed Devack warily, while Akiza and Misty glared at each other. Yusei remained focused on Kalin. Hana couldn't help but steal another glance at Roman. Her heart skipped a beat as their eyes met once again. Roman's expression softened slightly as he noticed her looking at him, and Hana felt her cheeks flush with a slight blush. She quickly looked away, hoping that Roman hadn't noticed her reaction.

Roman then called each of them to face their fated opponent in their destined place, causing each Dark Signer to turn and leave.

Hana watched Roman walk away. She knew it was foolish to be drawn to someone like him, a dangerous and unpredictable man who posed a threat to the world and the safety of the children she cared for. But she couldn't help it. There was something about him that had stolen her heart, and try as she might to forget him, she couldn't erase him from her thoughts.

With a deep breath, Hana made a decision. She couldn't let Roman slip away without telling him how she felt. She had to take the chance, even if it meant risking her safety.

Without a moment's hesitation, Hana bolted after Roman through the dark and winding streets of Satellite. The night air was crisp and damp, chilling her to the bone as she pursued his fading footsteps. She didn't know where he was going or what he had planned, but all that mattered was telling him how she felt before it was too late.

Finally, Hana caught up with Roman outside a rundown building. He turned around at the sound of her footsteps, and for a moment, they simply stared at each other in silence.

Hana approached him slowly, her heart hammering in her chest. "Roman," she said softly.

He regarded her with a mixture of surprise and curiosity, recognizing her as the girl from the orphanage who had watched his duel with Yusei. He wondered what she wanted from him, this innocent soul who now tread dangerously close. "What are you doing here?" he asked, his voice low and guarded.

Hana took a deep breath, gathering her courage. "I had to see you," she said, her voice trembling. "I know we're from different worlds, but when our eyes met during the duel, I felt something I can't explain. I know this might sound crazy and I should be afraid of you, but I've never felt like this for anyone before."

Roman's eyes widened in surprise as he listened. He hadn't expected this, especially from someone who witnessed what he was capable of. Mixed emotions crossed his face as he processed her words, momentarily breaking his usual mask of confidence. His brows drew together, shadowing his eyes.

"Hana," he finally spoke, his voice softer now. "You don't understand the darkness within me. It's not something you should be drawn to."

Hana looked directly into Roman's eyes, seeing past the exterior to the conflicted soul within. "I know you've done bad things as a Dark Signer," she said gently. "But I don't believe that's all you are. There must be more to you, a real person underneath."

Roman was silent for a long moment, his gaze shifting away from Hana's as he wrestled with indecision. She saw past the surface in a way no one ever had. Her words stirred something within him, a glimmer of the man he used to be.

He turned away, his posture guarded. "You don't know what you're asking." His voice was low, almost a whisper.

Hana stepped in front of him, determined to make him understand. "Yes, I do," she insisted, placing a hand lightly on his arm. "I'm saying I want to know the real you. The man behind the darkness."

Roman's eyes flicked back to Hana's, seeing the sincerity shining in her gentle gaze. He knew he had a choice to make. He could push her away, as he had done with so many others, or he could take a risk and let her in.

"You have a good heart, Hana. Better than I deserve." He paused, searching for the right words. "The man I once was...he's long gone. I've done things I can never take back."

"That doesn't matter to me," Hana said softly. She reached out and gently cupped his cheek with her hand. Roman's breath caught at the tender touch, so foreign now to him. Their eyes locked together.

"Please, Roman," she implored. "Give me a chance. That's all I'm asking."

Roman stared at Hana, torn between the darkness he had embraced and the light she represented. He knew he shouldn't give in to his feelings for her, but he couldn't deny the pull he felt toward her.

After a long moment of silence, Roman finally spoke. "I can't promise you anything, Hana, but I'll give you a chance. You deserve that much."

Hana's face lit up with joy and relief. She threw her arms around Roman, hugging him tightly. His body was rigid at first, unfamiliar with tender human contact.

Slowly, Roman's arms came up to encircle Hana, his hands meeting at the small of her back. He could feel the warmth of her against him, the rhythm of her breathing. It awakened feelings within him that he thought were long dead.

Hana rested her head against Roman's chest and listened to the steady drumming of his heart. One of her hands came to rest on his shoulder while the other gripped the fabric of his cloak.

As the initial hesitation fell away, Roman began to relax into Hana's embrace. One hand moved up to stroke her hair softly while the other gently caressed her back in soothing circles. For a fleeting moment, the darkness loosened its grip on him.

Eventually they broke apart. Roman gently took Hana's hand and said, "Come with me."

Hana followed, her heart fluttering with anticipation. Though she knew the risky situation she was in, deep down she trusted Roman would not hurt her.

0