CHAPTER 12- The mentality of a widow. Part 2.
48 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 12 - The Mentality of a Widow. Part 2.

(Pov - Saik.)

School bullying is a serious problem... Well, at least, I think it is. According to my research, it is a problem. Since it never affected me, I didn't care about it, which is why I never considered it a real issue.

I looked into it and its consequences to help Sylphie, before I realized that I only promised to help Iris, not Sylphie.

I shouldn't worry about that. If someone tries to mock or mess with me, I won't stay silent. I'll defend myself, regardless of the person's gender or age.

And if I see someone suffering from school bullying, honestly, I wouldn't care. As long as it doesn't affect me, I shouldn't care.

Why should I care about what happens to other people? I should only care about what happens to me.

A thought that people would consider cruel, but I don't care.

I'm neither a hero nor a villain. I'm just another human.

"Please, help Sylphie!"

Ah, Yuki. I'm sorry, but I don't want to. I'm too lazy to get involved.

Besides, if I help her, she'll never learn to defend herself.

"Hehe. Not bad. With this, I'll be able to buy that cute keychain I saw at the mall," said a random girl, counting the money she took from Sylphie's wallet.

Three girls are bothering Sylphie on the rooftop.

They took her money, and Sylphie is crying, kneeling on the ground. They look at her as if she's beneath them, feeling that they are much better than her. Why would they do this exactly? Why risk so much? They have a lot of money; they're not doing this to get money. Envy or just finding joy in others' suffering? People who enjoy others' pain? Two of them are pretty, the third one not so much. I don't think it's envy of Sylphie's beauty, unless they envy her breasts, which are bigger than those girls'.

Do girls really care about breast size? If they're just for feeding babies, size doesn't matter. Ah, I don't understand women.

Sylphie looks so pitiful, crying and her snot coming out of her nose, while the girls laugh at her and kick her in the breasts and abdomen. Is it envy because of her breast size? I refuse to believe it's for such a stupid reason. Ah, women are a mystery to me.

Honestly, I still don't care.

If I help her, she won't grow. She needs to learn to defend herself and not always depend on others. Sylphie, you've done well so far, taking care of your mother on your own. Realize that you have the ability to stand up for yourself; don't let yourself be humiliated.

You need to learn to face those who harm you, not to remain idle and let them take advantage of you.

"Stop crying!"

One of them slapped her hard. Wow. Girls are really scary.

I guess I don't want a girlfriend after all. I don't want to deal with such a violent girl. Ah, most girls are violent, like Rossy. Why can't they be adorable like Yuki? We live in an unjust world.

"Please, you have to help Sylphie! Don't just stand there!"

It's not my problem, it's hers. She needs to figure it out on her own. It doesn't affect me. If I get involved, Sylphie will think I'm her hero and will depend on me, and that's the last thing I want. I don't want to always have to protect her.

"If you don't help her, Noel won't help you study!"

He and I have a deal, and he has to fulfill it.

His daughter isn't part of that deal.

"And if you don't help her, I'll never help you cheat or help you with anything!"

"... Fine, okay."

It got to me, I have to step in.

I still need Yuki's help and her company. I don't want her to hate me.

Ah, Yuki, don't you realize that helping her will only hurt her? Well, whatever.

The door was open, so I just walked over to them with casual steps.

Ah, I'll regret this.

"Girls, give the money back, please. Stealing is illegal."

I'm a bit hypocritical; I've done worse things... Bah, it doesn't matter.

"Eh? And who does this random guy think he is?"

"Why? Get out of here, scruffy, this is none of your business."

"I don't want to leave. Give the money back," I said, as Yuki clenches her fists, as if she's ready to fight.

"What will you do if we don't want to?"

"Beat us up?"

This school is elite, meaning it's for smart or wealthy people.

The smart ones get scholarships, while the wealthy ones have to pay tuition.

They don't look intelligent; they're probably wealthy. I'm not criticizing them for their appearances, but for their actions. Only the brainless would risk losing their scholarship for such nonsense. I'm sure they're not smart.

They're just taking Sylphie's money to humiliate her... Ah, pathetic.

"What will I do? Hmm... Yes. I think I'll hit them. In the face or stomach?"

"Well done, Saik. That threat will scare them," Yuki said.

One of them got too close to me. Wow, she smells pretty good.

"I want to see you try...!"

I didn't let her finish speaking and I delivered a strong punch to her stomach, knocking the wind out of her and causing her to fall to her knees. Disgusting, she's vomiting. Fortunately, I managed to step away in time to avoid getting my shoes dirty.

"Eh?" Yuki said, not knowing what to say.

Sorry for showing you something gross, Yuki, but people like this don't learn through words.

"Is that enough?"

"Ninda!"

The other two girls helped her get up, and I yawned. Ah, what a hassle, I hope I don't get into trouble with this. I better start thinking of arguments to avoid getting expelled.

"Final warning, return the money."

I raised my fist, filling the girls with fear.

"Or do you want to settle this with violence?"

"I-it won't be necessary!"

One of them left the money on the ground.

"Is that all, Sylphie?"

She took the money without hesitation and began to count.

For someone in her situation, money is very important, and not being able to defend herself and letting people steal from her is just stupid. Seriously, Sylphie, we need to fix that part of your personality... Ah, and yes, "we" need to, because Yuki will force me to help you. Ah, what a hassle.

"... Y-yes..." she said, nodding, when she finished counting. But she's still looking at the ground and on her knees.

I won't help you stand up; don't get used to my help.

But well, she's telling the truth. Alright, my job is done.

"Ah, by the way. If you try to take advantage of Sylphie again, you might lose one or two teeth. Let this be the last time you hit her, understood?"

"You're crazy."

"Let's go."

The three of them left, and I stretched my arms.

Ah... I wanted to avoid this, but Yuki won't leave me alone if I don't help Sylphie.

Now I have to deal with this issue.

Ah, what a hassle.

"I'm hungry."

I walked away from Sylphie, sat on the ground, and started eating my food while Yuki kept staring at me, with a big smile on her face. A smile full of satisfaction. Yeah, yeah, congrats, you managed to manipulate a guy who was the nightmare of thousands of people. Seriously, Yuki, you're so adorable, it's terrifying.

But that expression of satisfaction and happiness, and those bright eyes, make you look even more adorable. If that's your way of repaying me for helping Sylphie, I think it was worth it.

...

...

...

She's still adorable, but her staring at me while I eat is uncomfortable.

"You've been staring at me for two minutes, Yuki. Stop, or I'll overdose on cuteness," I said, whispering.

"You were amazing, Saik! I knew you were awesome! You hit a girl without hesitation!" Yuki said, pretending to box.

Wait, Yuki. "Without hesitation"?

... Isn't it normal to hit a girl?

I never cared about the gender of my enemies; I'd hit them regardless of gender or age.

Is it not normal in this city for a guy to hit a girl?

I'll look into it later.

"It smells delicious! Give me some, give me some!"

Yuki closed her eyes and opened her mouth.

Does she really want me to feed her?

It's not my job to do that.

She has hands; she can eat on her own... Ah, I remember now. I think it's normal for an older brother to feed his younger sister when the mother is busy.

Yuki considers me her older brother, that's why she wants me to feed her... Human nature is strange.

Sylphie is collecting her money; she's not looking at me. While Yuki kept staring at me, Sylphie remained on her knees, wiping her face and nose.

I think she's done wiping her face, but I guess I still have some time.

I took a meatball and put it into Yuki's mouth, taking advantage of the fact that Sylphie wasn't looking.

"Mmmmmmh! Delicious, Saik! You became an incredible cook!"

"Thank you."

I think I've gotten used to speaking softly.

Ah, I hear footsteps.

"T-thank you very much for... helping me."

I looked up and glanced at Sylphie.

If I want Yuki to keep helping me, I need to help Sylphie.

She's a shy and lonely girl.

Her self-esteem is very low... Depression, perhaps?

Considering her past, it's quite likely.

She was a victim of bullying, and her mother is an alcoholic.

It's clear she has issues.

How do you help someone like that? Honestly, I don't know... But as always, I'll improvise.

"You're welcome. I hate people who take advantage of others."

Although, to be honest, I don't care.

"T-thank you for your help."

"... You're welcome."

She thanked me again... She's trembling a bit and avoids eye contact.

She wants to say something else, but she doesn't dare.

Mmm... I think I have a theory.

Noel told me his daughter has no friends and is afraid to socialize due to fear of rejection.

The most likely thing is that she wants me to be her friend... I guess.

She's a lonely girl, but her father told me she wants to have friends.

Making friends will be a big step for her.

If I want to improve her self-esteem, I have to make her consider me a friend.

"I suppose we're similar, right?"

"S-similar?"

"I mean being lonely. We didn't have luck on the first day of school and ended up excluded. In my case, it was because I was too lazy to socialize. Did you have any luck? Did you make any friends yesterday?"

"... No... I wasn't lucky," she said sadly, lowering her gaze and rubbing her arm.

"I see... To avoid failing, you need to socialize, since there are always group projects. At least that's how it was at my previous school..."

After this, there's no turning back. Ah, Yuki, see how much your older brother cares for you. He's willing to help a girl just because you asked him to. I hope you appreciate this.

"Would you like to be my friend? I don't have any friends, and I'd like you to be my friend."

"..."

She was silent for a few seconds.

...

...

...

That's a long silence, but I can feel her nervousness just by looking at her.

I need to be patient. Rushing her will only have negative consequences.

"Y-yes... Th-thank you."

"Hehe. Her face is red," Yuki said, pretending to pat Sylphie's head.

"Ah... Wow... It's the first time I have a friend... And what do friends do?"

I went too far, and I don't even know what friends do. Ah, what a hassle.

"I suppose... e-eat t-t-together?"

"Ah, I see. That makes sense... Would you like to have lunch with me, Sylphie?"

Sylphie nodded quickly and sat down next to me. Yuki is sitting across from us, watching us while smiling. Ah, I'd rather eat with Yuki, but well, no other choice.

Sylphie opened her lunch.

Well, well. Judging by her meal, she's a good cook. She even takes the time to garnish.

I doubt her mother did this. She learned to be independent at a very young age... I have to admit it's somewhat admirable.

Sylphie, you have a lot of potential; I hope you realize that someday.

"Saik... Congratulations! You made a new friend! I'm so proud of you! Oh, my cold boy finally has a living friend!" Yuki said, hugging me.

Although I don't really consider Sylphie a friend, more like a pet I need to train so she won't depend on me and will become independent, someone who won't let insults or hits get to her. Someone who can stand up for herself.

I'm only doing this so Yuki won't threaten me with not helping me.

And if Sylphie considers me a friend, Yuki will stop bothering me with the stupid idea of getting me friends. I hope you're satisfied with Sylphie, Yuki.

"S-Saik... Do you w-want some?"

... Wow... She offered me some of her food.

She must have made a great effort to say it. See, Sylphie? If you can overcome your shyness and offer your new friend some of your food, you can overcome the shyness that prevents you from talking to others. Noel's personality is still within you; it's just a matter of coaxing it out.

She wants to thank me for helping her... Honestly, I don't like eating other people's food, but I have to.

"Yes. Thanks."

I took some vegetables.

I didn't take any meat to avoid looking too hungry.

Now I have to do the same. An exchange, to show gratitude for the meal.

"Do you want some of my meatballs?"

"Y-yes... Th-thank you."

She accepted, huh? Sylphie has Iris's personality, but Noel's is still present, even if just a bit. If she were extremely shy, she would have refused at first, but she accepted. She's still shy, and her face is red because her shyness is at its limit, but she accepted. You're not beyond saving yet, Sylphie.

She took one and ate it.

Come on, enjoy my food. I'm proud of my cooking. All those hours of practice weren't in vain. I can finally cook all my favorite dishes on my own.

"Wow... I-it's delicious, Saik. Your mother cooks really well. It's the first time I've had such a tasty meatball."

No... My cooking doesn't compare to my mother's. I'm light-years away from her skill.

"... I made them."

"Oh. G-great. Y-you cook really well. Who taught you? Your mother?"

"... No... My mother died... And my father too... I live alone."

I could see that her expression was gradually becoming sadder with every word that came out of my mouth. Don't worry, Sylphie; it's not your fault. You didn't know that my parents had passed away. Yes, they were well-known in the country, especially among wealthy and influential families, but that doesn't mean everyone knew my parents or my last name. Assuming that would be too egocentric of me.

You didn't know, so I'm not mad at you, but... I can't help feeling sad when I remember them.

I suppose Yuki sensed my sadness because she hugged me and stroked my head. Thanks for your concern, Yuki; it makes me feel better.

"I had to learn to cook on my own. It was a lot of hard work and effort, but I managed to learn how to cook really well, even though I still find it hard to wake up early to prepare my meals. Being a lazy guy has its drawbacks."

"... I'm s-sorry... I shouldn't have brought it up."

"Eh? Why?"

"I didn't want you to... feel sad."

"Eh? Oh, don't worry; I don't feel sad. I've moved past my parents' deaths. They would be sad if I lived my life in sorrow. To honor their memory, I should enjoy the life they gave me. Dwelling on the past wouldn't let us enjoy the present. Don't you think the same?"

Yes, I admit I felt sad when I remembered them, but I don't live my life being sad. I have Yuki with me, and her company makes my life happier.

"... Not dwelling on the past...? Yes... You're right."

After that, we started talking about our likes and dislikes.

Talking to her made me realize her personality and way of thinking.

And thanks to that, I know what to do with her mother.

Sylphie is a good person, kind and sincere.

She reminds me of Yuki, although Yuki is more energetic, and Sylphie is calmer.

We have a lot in common, like our love for reading, food, and cooking... I guess being her friend won't be as bad as I thought, but I need to make sure she doesn't become dependent on me.

I need to help her improve her self-esteem and become capable of surviving without my help.

I won't always be able to help her... I need to make that clear.

Break time ended, and I collected the lunchboxes. I had to eat Yuki's food to avoid arousing suspicion about bringing two lunches to school.

Yuki got mad, but it's her fault for forcing me to interact with Sylphie.

"We need to go back to the classroom."

"Y-yes."

It was a good step forward with Sylphie.

Yuki will leave me alone for a while, so I'm satisfied.

"Hehe. What a cute romance beginning," Yuki said.

No... Yuki, no. I won't make the same mistake Noel made.

And besides, I would never fall for someone like Sylphie. Never.

7