CHAPTER 18- The Mentality of a Widow. Part 8.
47 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 18 - The mindset of a widow. Part 8.

Oh, my sweets. My precious sweets. They have stolen one of the things that hold the most value to me. It's as if those girls had stolen the oxygen tank from an old man standing on top of the tallest mountain in the world.

The sweet taste is my favorite flavor, the one I love to savor the most.

Ah, I'll have to buy more.

I don't care about anything else, but nobody messes with my sweets.

It would be an exaggeration to say that I'm angry, I'm just slightly irritated because I'll have to go back to the store to buy more. So lazy.

Actions have consequences, and those girls will soon receive what they deserve.

"They threw away my food! Saik, Saik, take revenge for me and break their noses!"

... Yuki, did they dare to waste food? No, more importantly, did they throw away your food?

Yuki's eyes are... teary.

"Oh, I'm still hungry," Yuki said, rubbing her belly.

I'm sorry, Yuki, but I can't leave. It would make Sylphie feel bad, and that would delay the plans a lot. Just wait a little longer.

I closed my lunchbox and sighed.

"I feel like having pizza."

I got up and walked away from the table. I'll give that lunch to Yuki and buy something else for myself.

Ah, I think it's safe to say that irritation has turned into pure hatred.

I was just thinking about finding a way to get them expelled from school, but now that they made Yuki almost cry, the punishment will be worse.

Much worse.

"Are you going to buy me pizza? Yay! Buy me...! Mmm... with extra, extra cheese!!"

"I think they only sell two types of pizza a day here. Pizza or the lunch I brought," I whispered before getting in line.

"Oh, it's a tough decision. The lunch tasted amazing, but I love pizza. Ah... what do you want?"

"I think I'm fine with anything."

"Come on, don't be shy. I always choose, it's your turn."

"... Lunch."

"Then I want a whole pizza just for myself!" she said, hugging me and caressing my cheek with hers.

Wow... I had forgotten what it felt like for others to care about me. It feels good.

After filling our stomachs with food, Sylphie and I returned to the classroom, and everyone turned to look at me. Some were laughing, others were serious, Saoto looked worried, and Ram... well, she was serious as always.

Oh, Saoto is picking up the food from the floor that they threw. How kind of him.

Sylphie got nervous seeing my table and my things on the ground, but I didn't care. Considering what I'll do to them, this is nothing. I can get new materials and sweets whenever I want, but they will never recover what they're about to lose.

"I'm sleepy."

I yawned and scratched my arm.

I gathered my things, sat in my seat, and took out my phone to play, ignoring the insulting messages they wrote on my desk.

I remember that a girl in my previous school committed suicide because of the bullying she received, I even heard that some boys raped her. It didn't affect me, so I didn't investigate further, so I don't know if it's true. What I can confirm is that sometimes girls would scribble insulting messages on her desk and call her a "slut," spreading rumors (I think) that she slept with the teachers.

Blah, blah, blah.

I think that part was true, that's why she committed suicide, because if it wasn't true, why did it affect her?

They're just words, that shouldn't matter, especially not lies.

Oh, I never understood why those who suffered from bullying never defended themselves with violence.

I always defended myself with my fists, and that's why I never experienced that famous bullying. Well, only from a distance because they made fun of me, but they were just words, so I didn't care.

Only when they made fun of my family, I used violence, even though they only used words.

Oh, but thanks to that, I got expelled several times.

"S-Saik... I'm sorry... I-I..."

Huh? Is she crying?

Her sob brought me back to reality.

She's crying while covering her face so I can't see her.

... Why is she crying? I don't understand.

Let's see... Ah... Well... Does she feel guilty? No, I don't think so. She doesn't know that the girls did this. Why would she feel guilty?

Maybe she thinks she brings me bad luck or something. Ah, the victim mentality will stay with her for a long time, huh? I have to fix it.

"Eh? Why are you crying, Sylphie? Did something bad happen?"

"Saik... Because of me, now you..."

"'Now you'? What do you mean by that...? Ah, you mean my desk?"

I guess so. I've already picked up everything. The desk is the only thing left as evidence. I haven't read it, but I suppose they must be really strong insults since they made Sylphie cry, considering that I'm supposed to be the victim.

I got up from my seat and looked at my table.

"Mmm... Ah... Oh... "Weird"? Mmm... "Idiot"?"

... Ah, really? Do they think this is humiliating?

How adorable they are.

This is not humiliating at all, at least not for me.

They're just very basic and simple insults, the strongest being a wish to see my corpse defiled by Incubi in hell. Well, they have quite an imagination, and it's quite realistic, as I think that could actually happen to me.

But the rest is so... stupid. Sylphie, are you really crying over this? Ah, seriously, I don't understand people like Sylphie. If I don't understand normalcy, I certainly won't understand people like Sylphie.

"Mmm... No... I'm sorry, I tried. I tried to find something humiliating about this, but I feel nothing. Nothing at all."

I sat on the table.

"You shouldn't cry over this, Sylphie. It's not your fault, and honestly, I don't care about any of this. I mean, after all, money is no problem for me (for now), I can replace the things they broke, and insults are just words, they don't affect me at all."

I pulled a lollipop from my pocket and offered it to her, caressing her hand with the lollipop to get her to remove her hands from her face.

My emergency lollipop. I hope you appreciate this, Sylphie.

She slowly took her hands off her face, while Yuki stroked her head.

"There, there, everything will be fine, Sylphie, don't worry." - said Yuki.

"Take this, it will calm you down."

"... It really doesn't affect you?"

"Well... They're just words. Why should it affect me? Since they know they can't hit me because I would hit them back, they tried to attack me psychologically, not knowing that I'm a weirdo who doesn't care about anything... This doesn't matter to me, Sylphie. Being your friend brings no consequences for me, don't worry. Take the lollipop, you need to calm down."

"... Thank you very much."

She took the lollipop.

Wow, she's smiling... I think I made progress with her self-esteem.

I think so.

"Wow. Do you already have enemies, Saik?" - said Ram.

"Enemies...? Mmm... Well... I guess... They're just girls who are afraid of me, Ram."

"What did you do?"

"Why do they hate me...? Mmm... Let me remember... I defended Sylphie, hitting one of them in the stomach. I threatened to hit them if they ever bother Sylphie again... Mmm... I think that's all."

"You hit a girl?"

"Yes, why?"

Whispers?

I could tell that the girls in my class started to look at me with disgust and murmur things about me.

"Ah, do they think I did something wrong? Yes, I guess they're right. Hitting a girl who was hitting Sylphie to take her money is something bad. Yes, I'm the villain of the story. I should be in prison, shouldn't I?"

Well, I should be in prison, but for other reasons.

"Saik was just trying to help me!"

"Don't worry, Sylphie. As I told you before, what people say about me doesn't bother me. Blah, blah, blah. They're just words."

But that doesn't mean I won't do anything to stop it.

Somehow, I managed to get everyone to ignore the table issue.

I changed it, and that's it, the problem is solved.

Ram and Saoto offered to help me, but I declined. I don't need help, basically everything is solved.

There's no need to do anything.

"Ah, the library. The perfect place to sleep."

"Sleep?"

"It's quiet and smells good... Ah, I'm sleepy. Let's finish the project, Sylphie."

"S-Sure!"

Sylphie and I sat together and took out our books from our backpacks.

The library. And to think that before I used it to sleep, and now I'll use it for its purpose: studying.

My body is so used to it, I'm dying of sleep.

No, body, not this time. Not this time. I want to finish the project today, to rest the rest of the week.

"Saik... I really appreciate your help... If there's anything I can do for you, just tell me."

... This was unexpected.

I repeat, Sylphie, you were lucky not to be friends with a pervert.

"Ah, that was very sudden."

"I didn't want to say it in public. It could be misinterpreted... I know you're not a bad person."

Ah... If you only knew my past... Never mind.

"Don't worry, I won't ask you for anything, I'm just doing it because I hate people who take advantage of others, that's all."

As stupid as it sounds, that's the first lie I told her, and I have to stick to it.

"Fufu. Yes, of course... Ow!" - said Yuki.

Hey, don't laugh, because of you, I'm in this mess.

"... 4? Why do you have a number drawn on the palm of your hand?"

Did she notice? How...? Ah, right, I'm stretching my arm as an excuse to pinch Yuki's nose with my index and middle fingers, making the palm of my hand visible.

I stopped pinching Yuki's nose and looked at my hand, while Yuki rubbed her nose.

"You're so cruel, Saik!"

I did it with love, Yuki. Besides, you deserve it.

"Ah... This? I was bored, so I drew it. It's nothing."

"I see."

Although the truth is very sick and cruel, but they started it. The law of... Of... Oh, I forgot its name. Whatever. An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth.

And candies for lives.

(Pov- Yuki.)

Do you smell that, Saik? It smells like romance! Although I can barely smell because you squeezed my nose. Hmmmmmh! Well, I would complain more, but I understand why you're angry, someone stole your candy.

Saik and Sylphie are getting too close too quickly. It's so romantic!

Although... for some strange reason, I feel weird... Maybe I'm just hungry.

"It hurts..."

"Huh? Did you say something, Saik?" Sylphie said.

"It's nothing. I'll go to the bathroom, I need to wash my face."

"O-okay."

Mmm. That seems suspicious.

Saik left the library, and I followed him.

"What's wrong, Saik? You said something hurt... Are you bleeding?!"

Why did Saik start bleeding from his nose?! He's definitely not the typical perverted guy; that blood is for another reason. Heatstroke? Impossible, the library is cold. Anemia from not consuming enough candy? I don't think it works like that.

Ahhhhhhh! I don't know what's happening!

"Don't worry, Yuki, we're talking about Saik, he might have overexerted himself or it's something spiritual."

"Ah, right..."

Saik sighed once again, and as he did, more blood started to come out. We must go to a hospital; I'm really worried now!

He went into the bathroom, and I followed him.

I don't care if it's the men's bathroom; this is an emergency!

"What's wrong, Saik?!"

Saik washed his face with water and sighed. The water turned so red.

Saik...

"I'm just tired. I need to sleep... Don't worry, Yuki."

That's not true... Something bad is happening to him.

Saik, why are you hiding your suffering from me?

"Saik, do you know what's happening to you?! Don't lie to me!"

"Ah... I don't know, Yuki. Sometimes this happens to me. Don't worry; I always recover within minutes."

Is he used to this happening?

Saik...

(Pov - Saik.)

We stayed at school for a long time because we had to finish the project to have more free time.

I didn't want to do this, but she's resisting, she needs the final blow.

What did I do? I invited Sylphie to dinner at a small restaurant, not so fancy but not a regular place either. A place between expensive and cheap, where they sell foreign food.

She wanted to refuse because she didn't have money, but I insisted enough, and she ended up accepting my invitation.

And here we are, eating at a table by the window. The perfect place.

Yuki went home because she misunderstood my invitation and thought I wanted to seduce Sylphie. Well, considering what is about to happen, it was good that she left. I don't want her to witness what will happen because if I fail, she'll see something horrible.

I took a bite of my burger while Sylphie drank her lemonade.

I chewed and swallowed what I had before speaking.

"A good dinner after a job well done. There's no better way to celebrate."

Sylphie smiled and nodded quickly.

"I-I agree!"

... She's getting closer.

I placed my burger next to the wall so it couldn't be seen from the outside.

My backpack is under the table. Good.

"I'll go to the bathroom. Excuse me."

"O-okay."

I got up from my seat and headed to the bathroom.

I hope she reacts as I expect because if she causes a scene, my whole plan will go to waste.

(Pov - Iris.)

My daughter doesn't need me anymore. I'm just a burden to her... She doesn't need me... I'm a burden... Just a burden to everyone.

"If you die, no one will miss you!"

"Just jump off a bridge and die, you nuisance!"

Yes... It's true.

No one will miss me... No one.

My daughter will be happier without me... She doesn't need me... Huh?

"What?"

"Hehe. That's your daughter, right?"

"Look at her, dining with a smile on her face, while you walk towards your death."

"She doesn't love you."

"After all, who would love a disgusting alcoholic piece of shit?"

Daughter...

You prefer to spend your money at a restaurant rather than having dinner with your pathetic mother... No... With a failed mother... I don't even deserve to be called that.

And you're smiling so happily... Forgive me, Sylphie... Please, forgive me.

"Your tears won't solve anything."

"Stop crying and keep walking, don't waste any more oxygen that someone who matters could breathe."

... Goodbye, daughter. I hope you'll be happy... I won't be a burden to you anymore... No more.

(Pov- Saik.)

"T-thank you for walking me home, Saik."

"It's getting dark, and it was my idea to eat at that place. Walking you home was the least I could do for you."

"G-goodbye, Saik."

"Goodbye, Sylphie."

She entered her house, and I started to walk.

Alright. I'll be there in about 20 minutes... Yes, I'll be on time.

She chose a lonely and dark place, huh? Even better.

Let's see... I think there's a flower shop near that place. The perfect excuse.

(Pov- Iris.)

If I jump, I'll die... Will my daughter be sad, even a little? I don't know... I hope so, but... I've caused her so much pain... I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't feel sad.

I've brought her so many problems and embarrassments because of my alcoholism... I am a disgrace, both as a mother and as a human being.

My own daughter is ashamed of me... My few friends distanced themselves from me and left me alone.

Noel died... I have no one left... I have no friends, no husband... And worst of all, my only daughter hates me.

Continuing to live will only bring me more suffering... It's not worth staying alive.

If my death makes Sylphie's life easier, it will be worth it.

Forgive me for everything, daughter.

"Even though I know I don't deserve your forgiveness, Syl..."

"Jumping off a bridge? How typical."

That voice... I know it.

I turned to my left... It's that boy... Saik.

What is he doing here? How did he find me?

"So... Mmm... Are you trying to commit suicide?"

"Stay away, or I'll jump!"

Ignoring my words, he approached me and stood beside me. What's wrong with him? Didn't he think I would jump? I will jump... It's just that... this boy intrigues me. What is he trying to do?

"Wow. It's quite a height. You'll definitely die when you hit the water. Your head will explode or something. Gross, right?"

Trying to make me regret what I'm about to do? I don't care what you say; I've made my decision.

I've already left my suicide note. There's no turning back.

"What do you want?"

"Well... Mmm... I don't know."

"... You don't know?"

What's wrong with this boy...?! Eh?!

With a leap, he sat on the bridge railing. What's wrong with this brat?! One mistake, and he'll die! What does he think he's doing?!

"Hey...!"

"You prefer to commit suicide than try to be a better person, huh? Don't you think you're making a mistake?"

"Tsk. Stay out of it and go away; this doesn't concern you."

"You know, your daughter was a victim of bullying at school, did you know?"

"... Yes... Yes, I knew."

After all, I was to blame. And when I saw her coming home with bruises or sad, all I did was drink instead of helping her.

"And why didn't you do anything?"

"I... I didn't know what to do."

"I see... So you'll jump and die, leaving Sylphie alone... That's pretty cruel of you. At least wait until Sylphie is of legal age."

"She doesn't need me... She doesn't need me."

"Do you think so?"

He took out his phone and showed me a picture. What does this mean?

"When she found your suicide note, she immediately called the police while crying desperately."

A picture of Sylphie crying.

... Sylphie is crying... for me?

"... Why would she cry for me? I've only hurt her."

"After all, you're her mother... And you're also an ordinary human being. A human who makes mistakes. You can fix your mistakes. How? By being a good mother to Sylphie."

A good mother... C-can I be a good mother?

"Even if you don't believe it, Sylphie loves you. She doesn't hate you... Do you want to hear a little personal story? My mother was a perfect person. She was smart, very sociable, and a walking beauty. I was compared to her too much, and it hurt. I was an idiot, considered weird, and not sociable at all. They treated me like a weirdo... Do you think I hated my mother for that? No. It wasn't her fault that I was compared to her... You made many mistakes, but Sylphie loves you... I hate to say it, but Sylphie has very low self-esteem and struggles to socialize. If you die, Sylphie will be devastated... She really needs to have someone special in her life... She needs her mother's support... Sylphie needs you."

"D-does she... need me?"

"Yes... But it's your life; you decide. Jump and die, or don't jump and fix your relationship with your daughter... Please, think carefully about your actions."

"I... I... I can't..."

I don't want to be a burden to my daughter. What if I mess it up again? I don't want to disappoint my daughter... I can't... I can't.

My daughter would be much better off without me.

I closed my eyes and took a step forward.

I know I'll die and leave my daughter alone, but I'll only be a burden to her... I'm not indispensable to her... She doesn't need me... She never needed me. I've only been a burden to her life.

I started to fall... I'll be dead soon.

Goodbye, Sylphie... I'll always love you.

... Huh?

"Wow... You're not that heavy. You should eat more."

When I opened my eyes, I saw something incredible... S-Saik caught me with his left hand and held onto the railing with only his right hand. I-it's... incredible.

But that's not important right now! Why did he do this?! Why risk so much for me?! Doesn't he realize that we could both die?!

"What are you doing?! We'll both die!"

"Ah... You're right... I'm sorry, I couldn't help it... Sylphie really needs you."

"Why would she need me?! Why?!"

"Because you're her mother, the most important person to her. She has no friends... You're all she has left. She lost her father; she doesn't want to lose her mother too. You're important to her... You're not a burden. Sylphie never considered you a burden. Believe me, Sylphie loves you more than you can imagine."

Saik started to lift me... This boy is so... strong.

"You're important to Sylphie. You're not a burden."

His face was close to mine, and a strong wind blew, moving our hair... Saik's eyes... He's... crying?

"Saik... Why are you crying?"

"... I'm sorry... You remind me too much of my mother... I think that's why I want to help you... My mother died a few months ago... I don't want Sylphie to lose her mother too... Please, reconsider your decision... You're still very young; you can fix the mistakes you made."

"... How?"

"By being a good mother."

Saik helped me place my hands on the railing.

"Please, think carefully about what you're going to do... If you want to die, lower your hands... And if you want to live, raise them."

... Can I be a good mother?

"All humans make mistakes; we are not perfect."

"It's human nature to fail and try again."

"Sylphie loves you; she doesn't hate you."

"Go back to her."

So many voices... Am I going crazy...? No... Maybe it's a sign from God... I don't know.

"Be a good mother to Sylphie."

"Fix your mistakes."

... I don't hear the negative voices anymore... I guess it's a sign... I must change... I must be a good mother... I don't want Sylphie to hate me... I don't want... I want to be a good mother... I must be.

I know my past mistakes will still be there, but I want to try.

Sylphie shed tears for me, someone who doesn't deserve them.

My daughter is so pure and innocent... I don't want to cause her more pain.

Can I be a good mother to her? I don't know, but I'll stay alive at least to try.

To die without trying would be a mistake.

Saik went so far as to even risk his life for me. I don't want it to have been in vain.

Thank you for this new chance, God... Thank you for this new chance, Saik.

"Saik... Thank you."

I climbed back onto the bridge and helped Saik up.

"... Thank you very much, Saik... Thank you."

"... You're welcome... I'm sorry... I have to go... I'm very tired... Please, think about what I told you... Sylphie loves you, don't forget that... And don't tell Sylphie what happened... I don't want her to know I did this, okay?"

"Of course, I won't tell her anything... Thank you so much."

Saik walked away... Saik... That boy saved me again... He saved me once more.

... Is it destiny? I don't know... Maybe... Saik was sent to save me... Saik.

... Huh? Why is my heart beating so fast...? This feeling... No... I'm just confused.

(Pov- Saik.)

Ah... Pretending to cry was harder than I thought.

I entered my room and sat on my bed.

Committing suicide on a bridge closed for construction, in the middle of the night. A risky move, considering the heavy surveillance. If it weren't for me, who sent the police far away from the scene, everything would have been ruined.

"Ah... It took me longer than I thought."

Well, less time than initially imagined, but more time on the bridge.

Legendary ghosts number 13 and 14 appeared in front of me. The ghosts responsible for Iris' severe depression and the ones that caused her to want to commit suicide.

"You did a good job, old ladies."

Using them to worsen Iris' depression was a good idea. It saved me weeks of work.

"It was quite exhausting, but it turned out perfectly."

Ghost number 15 appeared in front of me.

The ghost of an old man. The legendary ghost of hope.

"Using me when she jumped was clever. When you saved her, it made her think it was destiny. Hahahahahaha! What expression would she have if she knew you only saved her because you had a deal with her dead husband?"

"Shut up."

15 disappeared.

"You too."

"Wait."

"We'll help you. We want an answer to a question."

"Tsk... Fine."

"You didn't feel anything when you saved her. You didn't feel sadness or concern. And when you saved her, you didn't care... If she had died, how would you feel? No... If you didn't have that deal with Noel and saw that woman trying to commit suicide, what would you do?"

"Hmm... I guess nothing... I wouldn't care."

"... You don't feel empathy for anyone... You're the strangest human we've ever met."

"Are you really a human?"

"Goodbye."

They disappeared, and I lay down on my bed.

If I saw someone trying to commit suicide, I wouldn't feel sorry for that person because they made the decision. What that person does with their life shouldn't matter to me.

If Sylphie lost her mother, I wouldn't feel sorry for her.

I wouldn't feel anything.

... Am I human?

Yes, I am... A strange one, but I am.

"Why should I care about what others do or think?"

Ah...

I closed my eyes and saw what one of my ghosts is seeing. They are watching Iris.

She is hugging her daughter, both crying, with the police in the background.

So many tears... Ah...

Sylphie, I couldn't save my mother, but I saved yours (even though I was the one to blame). I hope you value this new opportunity... An opportunity I never had, and if I did, I wasted it.

They continue hugging, crying and crying... It's a beautiful scene, but... it doesn't make me feel joy... Nothing...

Mother, father, I will never understand my existence.

Today is Friday, a new day of classes has begun.

Today marks the end of the first week of classes. The training days are over. The next weeks will be more challenging. It's no wonder it's an elite school. They'll probably give us surprise exams or something like that. I must be prepared for whatever comes... Well, not really, because I'll cheat, but it's better to be prepared.

I left my house, and Yuki started smiling by my side.

That smile is... too cheerful?

She closed her eyes... It makes her look even cuter... What is she trying to do?

"What's wrong?"

"Hehe. Noel told me what you did while I was spying on the girl who bothered you. I knew you were a good person!"

She started jumping around me.

Ah, I had to tell Noel because it was the end of the plan, although I disguised it as "an unexpected ending."

"You're a good person! I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!"

I stopped and sighed.

Am I a good person? I don't think so. After all, I caused the accident that almost killed Iris. I was responsible for her suicide attempt... I'm not a good person.

"You're a good person! You saved Iris! You saved a life!"

Yuki started dancing in front of me, swaying her hips... How adorable.

I would give her a lollipop, but I don't want to get in trouble having a floating lollipop by my side.

She started doing little jumps while moving her arms.

"Saik, you're amazing! You're the coolest person I've ever met! You're incredible!"

"... I'm not."

I started walking, and Yuki walked beside me and laughed a little.

"Hehe. Are you embarrassed?"

"Everyone has a past, Yuki... Even me..."

I looked Yuki in the eyes.

"If you knew my past, you wouldn't consider me a good person."

"Your... past?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

I continued walking.

"Saik... What bad things have you done?"

"... Yuki, I give you food, a home, clothes... I treat you like my little sister... And I want you to pay me."

"P-pay you? H-how?"

"I'll be your friend, I'll give you a home and food, but never... Never... Never try to find out about my past, because you'll never have answers to your questions."

I stopped and turned to look at her.

"Understood?"

"... Y-yes... Okay."

"I'm far from being a good person... I'm sorry."

(Pov- Yuki.)

Saik... Why do I feel sad when I hear those words? It's like... if Saik had a sad past he doesn't want to remember... What kind of person is Saik really? I don't know... I don't know.

I want to believe that he is a good person... He even risked his life to save Iris... He must be a good person, not everyone risks their life for someone else... Saik... Why don't you consider yourself a good person?

(Pov- Saik)

I entered a store to buy some candy. I need to replenish the candy that was stolen from me.

... Ah... This is a... surprise?

I suppose.

I took a bag of lollipops and a bag of chocolates and put them on the counter.

"Hello, Iris. I didn't know you worked here."

"H-hello, Saik. I started today. An old friend of Noel got me this job... Starting over is hard, but I have to try."

"I'm glad for you... And how is Sylphie?"

"She's... fine... I talked to her... It will be difficult, but I will try to be a good mother to her... Saik... If something happens... could I talk to you again?"

"Of course, I'll be available whenever you need me."

"T-thank you... Thank you so much... So... Could you give me your number and email?"

"Of course."

It worked... I'm sorry, Noel, but this was necessary... I saved her once and saved her again... That sparked something in her... In other words, I tried to make her fall in love... And it worked.

Her face is a little red and she's nervous, avoiding looking at me... Her personality is similar to Sylphie's.

I didn't tell Noel this because he would be against me falling in love with his ex-wife.

But I don't plan on being her new husband or boyfriend. I'm only doing it to help her overcome her depression. I must be a trustworthy person for her.

"She looks much better than before," Yuki said.

Yes, you're right. After all, she has a new chance to fix her mistakes. Anyone would be happy with that... Even me.

After giving her my number and email, I paid and said goodbye to her.

I left the store and headed to school.

"Hey, Saik, Iris looks better. You did a good job yesterday."

"Thank you, Yuki."

The power of words is powerful when shown with actions.

Saving Iris and telling her not to tell anyone made her think that I did it because I care about her, not because I wanted to seem like a good person.

Human mentality can be manipulated more easily than people think. A few words make us react differently.

Iris has Sylphie's personality. The mistake Noel made was not supporting Iris. Iris became dependent on Noel, and when he died, she didn't know what to do.

Noel, you're a good person, but you made a big mistake with Iris... A mistake that I have to fix on my own.

I will make Iris and Sylphie independent and not emotionally dependent on anyone.

I'll be Sylphie's friend, but I won't solve all her problems, I'll help her solve them on her own.

The same goes for Iris. She must be independent and not emotionally dependent on anyone.

It will be hard work, but I'm sure I'll succeed.

"Hello, Saik!"

... Did someone talk to me?

A girl caught up to me and started walking beside me.

"How are you?"

... Hello?

Who is she?

"Oh, it's clear that you don't remember her. She's Cristal!"

Oh, I remember now. Thanks, Yuki.

"I'm fine... And how are you, Cristal? Did you level up?"

"I'm so close! Could you help me?!"

"Sure, I have time in the afternoon. Send me a message in the game."

"Thank you so much!"

I talked to Cristal about the game and the characters we use on the way to school.

I prefer using characters that use the fire element, and Cristal prefers those that use the wind element.

She really knows how to play. It would be nice to have someone to play together with. Sometimes I struggle to defeat the bosses.

"Cristal!"

Ah... She has many friends... She's very different from me. I thought we were similar.

"See you later, Saik."

She met up with her friends and they entered the school.

I entered the school... Ah... Another day of classes... How tiresome.

"Saik!"

Sylphie started walking beside me and smiled.

"G-good morning!"

"Good morning, Sylphie. You look very good today."

"T-thank you... Yes... Today I feel very good... Thank you for noticing," she said, smiling sweeter than before.

Ah... If Sylphie knew that I'm responsible for her mother's suicide attempt, she wouldn't come near me.

5