15 | The Witch’s Apprentice and the Fallen Stars
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Antecedent

It was hot.

The boy tugged on his shirt, turning it into a makeshift fan. With a breath he looked above him, staring at the tree that shaded him. Unfortunately, the shade did little to ward off the heat. Inhaling the heavy air, he returned his gaze forward. Beyond the comfortable buffer of grassland he sat on was the busy world of his town. His eyes bounced between the various people as they went about their business.

The activity exhausted him.

His temper was short today.

Maybe it was the heat?

Maybe it was all the people?

Frustrated, he ran his hand through his blonde hair, wishing he had a book to read. Folding his arms, the boy rested against the tree and continued to people watch.

Frustrated, Max?

Looking to his side, he saw Her. Arms behind Her back, She leaned forward, peeking from the tree’s side. A smug smile formed on Her lips.

“This wears me out.” Maxwell sighed.

Pressing Her white dress against the back of Her thighs, She sat hunched down beside him. “I thought you did pretty good today.

He bit his lip. “It was nothing special. I just did what dad wanted me to. He asks me to help his friends, so I do. I mean, why wouldn’t I?”

Placing Her elbows on Her knees, She held Her head and silently smiled.

They watched the people before them for quite some time. The heat was thankfully weakened by a soft wind. Maxwell’s chest ached as his eyes fell on a group of children running and playing.

How long are their lives going to be like that?

Will they always be that happy?

Could he have been?

“Hey…” Maxwell began.

What is it, Max?

“Do… Do you think there is something wrong with me?”

Concerned, She furrowed Her brow. “What do you mean?

His eyes ran along the people. People older than him, younger than him, and his age. They happily chatted. “I don’t get any of it. Its like there’s a wall between me and the world. As if I don’t belong here.”

You’re able to be with me just fine.

He turned to Her. “Yeah, but you’re not…”

Maxwell stopped himself when he saw the pain in Her eyes.

Again, the wind blew.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that.” He returned his gaze back to the town.

I know.She said, fully sitting on the grass.

With a blush he ran his hand through the green until it found Hers.

She locked Her fingers into his.

“I still don’t understand. At first I thought everyone could see you. When that wasn’t the case I figured you were a ghost, but I can still touch you. Do you know how that works?”

She ran Her soft fingers over his palm. “No. It’s just the way it is I suppose.” She smirked. “Is this something a young man should worry about? Awfully serious for your age.”

Maxwell gave Her a dry laugh. “You’re barely older than me, so I could say the same.”

She laughed. “Plus, not a lot of people your age are reading books all day.

“I’m not like other people.” Maxwell said flatly.

Envious?

“I don’t know. I’m just invisible, you know? Maybe that means there’s something wrong with me. Like, I shouldn’t be alive-”

A painful sting on his cheek ended the thought. Blinking, Maxwell realized his eyes were no longer on the town, but the grass. He touched his screaming face and looked to Her.

Hand raised, She bit Her lip, eyes narrow and tears streaming down Her cheeks. “Don’t even entertain that!

Maxwell’s eyes grew wide with surprise. His mind was ripped from his control. No longer was he thinking of things in the past or future, rather, he currently could not. That simple strike lodged his brain to the present, and he was completely lost because of it.

Tears streamed down Her cheeks and She lightly hit his shoulders. “What about your father, Max?! Me?! Your mother? Did she die for nothing then?!

Her strikes slowed to a stop and She sobbed.

“I’m sorry.” he said.

Is your father not enough? Am I not enough?

With a breath he pulled Her into an embrace and rubbed the back of Her head. “Look, I was just thinking out loud. Don’t worry about it.”

She shook Her head, rubbing Her face against his shoulder. “No… You shouldn’t think things like that. Never.

“Okay. I get it!”

She dug Her fingers into his back. “Never give up, Max. All your learning and training is going to lead to something. Even if you don’t think so, I do. Isn’t that enough?

“It is!” His limbs shook. “But how long will I have the two of you?! What will I do when dad’s gone?! Or if you were to be gone?!”

Idiot! I’m not going anywhere, nor is your father! Why worry about these things! Just enjoy us!

He was silent, unsure of what to say.

She whispered in his ear. “It may not feel like it now, Max. But you will meet more people who matter to you, and you’ll matter to them. Stand strong. That’s what your dad wants and what your mom would want, and its what I want too. So, do your best, okay?

He took a breath and hugged Her tight.

“I will.”

Alice’s limbs shook. She felt far away, unable to fully comprehend what she had witnessed.

Alana was gone.

Had they gotten Maxwell as well?

Tears streamed down her cheeks as various thoughts ran into her mind. The man carrying her tightened his grip and continued following Rebecca. Alice watched her blonde hair bounced against her shoulder blades. Blinking away tears, Alice looked to the forest. Yellow eyes hovered in the darkness, floating alongside them.

Alice bit her lip.

Sorrow fought with anger.

She hated them, hated herself.

Why couldn’t she have protected Alana from Rebecca?

What hadn’t Alana taught her any offensive magic?

It was her fault!

Tears stung Alice’s eyes as her heart bit her. She immediately dismissed the remark in shame. No, Alana would never lead her wrong. Her teacher did what was best for her. Alice knew that.

Behind the blur of tears that night came swimming back to her memory.

She had thought nothing of the knock on the door.

Perhaps it was her friend?

Sure, it was late, but they didn’t have school the next day.

Her mother gently followed behind, ready to welcome their visitor.

Alice knew something was wrong the moment she saw the two of them.

A man in a suit stood tall and proud. His hand straightened his black tie as he gave her a smirk. His face was covered by a hat, but its lip was just high enough for Alice to see his black eyes. Within the darkness was a light that drew Alice in. The man tore the gaze and greeted her mother, leaving Alice’s eyes to drift to the woman behind him.

She wore a uniform of some kind, a hat also was pulled over her face. Alice was in aw of her beautiful hair. Its brown ran down to her hips. But her impression of it was short lived.

Everything happened so fast Alice had little time to register it all.

The two strangers were in the home, closing the door behind them.

Shouting.

Her mother was shouting, demanding.

What was it she had said?

Her father was there now, he and the man arguing.

Silver.

Knife.

Swinging at her father.

Mother.

Pushes her away.

The woman marches towards them.

Fighting.

Yelling.

Smoke.

Something burning.

The smell.

Screaming.

Hands.

Hands holding her.

Kicking, fighting.

Fire. Home on Fire.

Alice saw the wooden structure become consumed in flame.

Her head screamed as the memories swirled in her mind.

Then a clear memory came to her.

That woman, standing before her. The two of them in a room of some kind. Alice looked to her, and under the lip of her hat the woman appeared to be in pain. Bags hung under her narrow, dull, crimson eyes.

“You look sad.” Alice had said.

Through the sting of tears Alice imagined her eyes looked similar to Alana’s that day. Their march had stopped. Before the small group was a large stone, flat like a bed. Its brittle surface lightened by the moon above. The man gently laid Alice on the cold surface and stepped away, leaving room for Rebecca to stand above her. The witch raised the dagger, the same blade that ended Alana’s life, in the air. Red still lingered on its teeth. Alice’s eyes widened as she saw the monster lean its head over the table, watching her with hungry eyes.

She couldn’t move.

Her body gave up.

She waited for the blade to come down.

A small blur struck Rebecca and she stumbled into the stone. Growling, the witch spun to face the attack’s source, showing Alice a large blood stain on her back. Alice furrowed her brow in confusion. Fighting her weak body, Alice groaned as she turned her head to see him.

There, armor glowing in the moon light, the knight stood before them, releasing the bloodied body of the man that had been carrying her moments ago.

“M-Max!” Alice whispered, a hopefully smile forming on her lips.

1