04 | The Girl with Red Hair and the Village of Desire
122 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Peaceful Dawn

The eager chirping of birds tickled his ears. As the distant, peaceful melody stirred his body, a smile formed and a warm wave gently brushed him. The darkness of sleep weakened, and in its place was newfound energy.

But there were new sensations that unsettled him.

His back was sunk into a soft cushion, and the weight of his armor was absent.

Maxwell’s eyes snapped open and he rose from the bed in a panic. Pain shot through his stomach and he doubled over with a growl.

Gritting his teeth, he sat straight and looked at his waist. A series of bandages had been wrapped around him. A new red stain painted the clean white. With a breath, Maxwell raised his head. He sat in a simple bedroom. The window to his left revealed the waking sun’s light.

His heart ached as his awareness fully returned.

The dream that demon subjected him to slithered into his thoughts.

Dread filled him.

Despite his success in slaying the demon, the accomplishment was absent in his heart. Abigail and John were placed in danger due to his incompetence. His stomach twisted and he crumbled back into the soft cushion. His teeth clawed one another as he fought the growing pain. Sweat ran down his face and his body grew unbearably hot. He squeezed his eyes shut, forcing the pain to subside.

Finally, it began to wane and Maxwell looked up to the ceiling, only to see a familiar face.

Good morning, Max!”

A smug smile formed on Her lips “You want me to crawl under the sheets with you?

He smiled through his burning face. “The last thing I want is another person around me.”

She chuckled and sat on the bedside. “I’m no normal person am I?Her hand found his chest and a cool air calmed his screaming stomach.

"Rest. You may not have another moment like this."

He took a breath and closed his eyes, listening to her calming voice.

The cool touch grew heavier, and he felt Her hair brush his stomach. “Your body really is the perfect pillow, Max.She took a deep breath, letting sleep take Her.

Maxwell’s eyes snapped open. “I don’t have time for this.”

He rose and She rolled to the end of the bed and puffed Her cheeks.

As he walked She leapt before him and anxiously waved Her hands about. “Hey! I’m serious, Max!”

He limped to the door and reached for the knob…

But it turned without him, and the door slowly swung toward him.

It presented to Maxwell a red-haired woman whose eyes widened as the door reached its destination.

An awkward silence hung before the situation registered in both their minds.

“Woah! You shouldn’t be up!” Abigail yelled, placing her hands on his chest.

Her soft touch sent a jolt of lightning through Maxwell. He flinched and she stumbled back with her hands before her. “S-S-Sorry! I just-”

He took a breath, held his aching side, and leaned against the wall. “Where is my armor and sword?”

Abigail lowered her arms and her eyes bounced around the room. “I-I-I’m washing them.”

“I need to-”

Before he could finish she put her hands on her hips and looked him in the eye. Her red face fought her attempted sternness. “Not until you’re healed! Your armor is a mess and so are you! You can leave after you’re better, fed, and clean!” The words zipped through her trembling lips.

“I appreciate your hospitality, but I need to go. Besides, I-”

“My little brother is alive thanks to you! Now, I don’t know how you grew up, but I was raised to show my thanks to good people!”

Maxwell blinked in surprise.”John’s already doing better?”

She gave him an eager nod. “He is! Well, you’ve been laying here for two days.”

He jumped from the wall in shock. “Two days?!” The action brought a sharp stab to his side. He bent over and Abigail rushed to his side. Her soft touch both calmed and sent a new wave of shock over him.

“Sit down, will you?!” Her voice quivered as she helped him back to the bed. “We waited and waited and when we almost gave up you came limping out of the woods covered in blood and mud. You collapsed as soon as you left the trees!”

A new wave of exhaustion began to swim in Maxwell’s limbs. He let his body float with her dainty hands as she laid his head back on the pillow. “That armor is heavy you know. We had a lot of trouble getting it off to clean and dress your wounds. To think you walk like that all the time.” Her eyes drifted, then she quickly glanced away with a red face. Maxwell tilted his head in confusion. She was leaning against the wall, Her face holding that pretentious smile.

Most of the time Maxwell found that smile funny.

This time he didn’t.

“Give yourself more time, okay? We’re going to make breakfast soon. I’ll get you then.” Abigail rose and made her way out.

“Thank you, Abigail.” Maxwell said, feeling his face grow red. It felt awkward saying her name, saying anyone’s name.

She gave him a warm smile. “Thank you, Max.”

She gently shut the door, leaving him and Her together. She locked Her fingers behind Her back and with bouncing steps made Her way towards him. “You sure are much kinder to her than me, ya know?

“Am I?” He smiled. “I don’t really know how to act around people. I’m probably creeping them out. I need to go.”

She crawled over him and set Her back against the wall. Lifting his head, She placed him on Her lap and gently brushed his blonde hair. Her glowing, tender eyes captured him. “That’s what I love about you, Max. You’re a good man, humble to a fault. Plus, your awkwardness is cute.She chuckled a soft laugh and his face burned. He crossed his arms and closed his eyes. Her soft fingers played with his hair, and he drifted into their enchanting dance.

Let me spoil you. Close your eyes and rest knight.

...

The shining helmet was an object of fascination for the boy. His blue eyes glowed as the fire reflected on its iron surface. His father’s armor sat on the table before him. Why it was always buried away, he never understood. Why would something so cool be hidden? Why did his father never tell anyone who he was?

His heart pounded as he envisioned himself in the gear.

How cool he would be! Just like his father!

But he was far too small, at least for now. With a sigh, he returned back to the book on his lap. Its worn, wave-like pages creaked as he progressed through its contents. The sound was always pleasant to him. He happily flipped through the pages, listening to their chatter. He then found the image that brought him much intrigue, Ansel the Warden.

He did not understand why the armor was so much different from his father’s, but nevertheless, this Knight was inspiring. His eyes fell on a chapter that always puzzled him, the Astrologers.

Despite his constant readings, he never found a concrete origin for these people. The book talked of them worshiping the serpent from the sea, but if that was the case why were they fascinated with the sky? Surely they would search further below?

His father told him all was created by the Almighty, The Great One. So why would these people worship the creations rather than the creator? Why follow some monster from the depths of the sea? What even created that thing?

“Max!” The hushed whisper sent a jolt through his body. He looked over his shoulder. Her blonde hair happily brushed her shoulders as she hopped in place. “Come on, Max! Let’s play.”

“I don’t want to right now. I wanna figure this out!”

She puffed her cheek. “How can a kid figure that stuff out when grown-ups can’t? What do you even get out of it?”

“Why are you talking like you’re not a kid?” He snapped back.

Her lips curled into a smug smile. “I’m older than you.”

“Two years isn’t much.” He mumbled.

The girl proudly puffed her chest and placed her hands on her hips. “I’m the older one, so I’m the smartest! That means you have to listen to me.”

Maxwell gave her a look of disgust. “For being older you sure act like a kid.”

Her eagerness deflated and she looked away with puffed cheeks and a red face. “Nothing wrong with wanting to have fun…”

Before Maxwell could respond, the door to his father’s shop opened and the children looked at him. He wiped the sweat from his brow and picked up the helmet. “So that’s where it went.”

He looked to Maxwell, worry in his eyes. It was something Maxwell had failed to notice before, yet there was a bizarre sense of clarity to it now. He wanted to ask what was wrong, why he looked so sad. But his mouth failed him.

His father finally spoke. “Max, why don’t you go outside with the others?”

“I don’t care about that stuff, Dad! I wanna learn more about this.”

With a breath, his father left the room and returned the armor to its space. But, to Maxwell’s shock, he appeared with two wooden poles. “Okay, let’s do this. I will teach you how to use a sword and about knights.” He then pointed the pole at Max. “This is your history time. When we are not doing this, you’re doing something else. Your mother would hate seeing you acting like… like a certain someone.”

The second half of his father’s statement fell on deaf ears. Maxwell’s heart pounded and he leaped from the chair. “Thank you, Dad! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”

His father smiled. “I’m serious okay?”

Maxwell eagerly shook his head up and down.

“Your dad spoils you too much!” She teased.

Maxwell turned to her and stuck his tongue out. She recoiled and then stuck her tongue back at him. With a grin, he looked back to his father, who gazed toward the girl with sorrow in his eyes.

4