05 | The Girl with Red Hair and the Village of Desire
124 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Village

Maxwell’s eyes cracked open. The sun had finally begun peaking over the mountains, and it fully lit the room. She was gone, and he was left staring at the ceiling. Loneliness and confusion filled his stomach.

Leaving the past hurt.

Why did he have to wake up?

Why did the happy memories hurt?

He closed his eyes and sighed.

Ultimately, that did not matter.

The door creaked and he rolled his head towards it. Abigail peeked past the door and the dread in his gut faded as she gave him a smile. She entered the room with a set of clothes in her hands. “These are my father’s, so they should fit. Are you ready to eat?”

...

“My sister may not be the best cook. I hope you don’t get sick on the road.” John smirked. Abigail’s cheeks reddened and she crossed her arms, leaned into the chair’s backrest, and looked to the wall.

“I-I-I think I’ve gotten pretty good. W-W-What about you, Maxwell? How was it?”

He smiled. “It was really good. Thank you.”

Abigail grew red and sunk further into her seat. “Thanks.”

John smirked. “What’s wrong? You sick?”

“S-Shut up!” She stammered as she rose from the table and began cleaning.

John rose from his seat. “I’ll get his armor ready for him.”

“Don’t push yourself too hard okay?” She yelled as he opened the door.

“I’ll be fine.” He called.

Feeling out of place, Maxwell rose to help Abigail.

“Ah, you don’t need to do anything.” Abigail said as she stacked the plates.

“It wouldn’t be right to just sit.”

Her movement stopped, and she stared at the table in silence. Maxwell watched, confused.

Keeping her gaze on the wooden table, she finally spoke “Where are you going after this, Maxwell?”

“Further east. Into the mountains.”

She flinched at his response. “Do you have to?”

The words caught him off guard. Of course he had to. It was his duty. For what other reason would he have to live? Who else could do what he could? What else would he do?

“I do. There is another demon there that I must slay.”

“So, what happens if no one is there to help you?”

He remained silent. The answer was obvious; he would die. The thought brought him little trouble, but it seemed to bother Abigail greatly.

That scared him.

Suddenly, she looked up, face red and water in her eyes.

But she smiled. “I’m sorry! It’s none of my business. I know what you’re doing is important… It’s just…”

“I appreciate your concern.” Maxwell finally responded. “You’re a good person, and so is your brother. I’m glad to have run across you.”

“Come back!” She blurted out.

Maxwell blinked in surprise. “Huh?”

“Come back!” Shaking, she grabbed his hand and locked her eyes on the ground. “M-My father went east, to a village at the mountain's foot. He never came back! My mother went after him and she never came back!” Abigail began shaking. “Something really evil is over there, Maxwell! Please come back after you beat it okay? I’ll feed you again and John can help you with your armor and weapons so…”

How could he promise that? If he even survived the creature that waited for him, coming back here would practically mean backtracking.

But…

“I will.” He said flatly. She raised her eyes to him. They were wide and her mouth hung open.

“Abigail, I swear that I will return.”

She smiled and wiped her eyes. “I’ll have a special meal for you.”

...

Maxwell closed his eyes and took a breath as the cold breeze blew on him. The bright clear skies were growing gray with overcast. He found the weather calming, and he was excited for the coming rain.

He pulled his gloves on and looked to John for his final piece. He was sitting on the grass, examining every inch of it. “This is so cool!” Stars shone in his eyes.

Maxwell felt his cheeks redden. “A lot of work went into making it. Making all the armor really. Very talented people designed it and molded the material together.”

John handed him the helmet and Maxwell quickly placed it over his face, finally feeling secure. The boy scratched his brown hair and played with its strands. “Maybe someday I’ll get to make something as cool as that.”

Maxwell smiled. “You like building things?”

The boy nodded. “I’m not super knowledgeable or anything, but I do enjoy doing what I can.”

“That’s good. Keep at it.”

“When you come and visit, I’ll have to show you what I can do.”

Maxwell swallowed. “You heard us, huh?”

John chuckled. “The window was open.” Then the boy looked to the grass, an expression far beyond his age formed. “She may be older than me, but she’s still a girl you know? She had to take care of me after our parents died. So seeing her have fun with someone her age was nice. She never really got that.” His cheeks reddened. “Plus it’s nice having another guy around ya know? Like a brother or something.”

Maxwell had no idea what to say. Why had these two grown so fond of him?

Probably sensing Maxwell’s twisted lips, John shrugged. “But I like being alone too. I can focus on what I like.”

Maxwell smiled. “We have a good deal in common then.” He reached into his pouch and pulled out a dagger. Its blade held a language he could not read, and the design of a lion. “You ever learn how to fight, John?”

The boy shook his head with a raised eyebrow. “I don’t knife fight out here.”

With a chuckle, Maxwell handed him the blade. “Take this. My father handed it down to me, and I pass it to you.”

John’s face grew hot, and he stumbled over his words. “I-I-I can’t take something like this from you!”

Maxwell shook his head. “I insist. After all, you two did a lot for me. Learn from that blade, how to use it, and how it was forged. And in the worst case, use it to protect yourself and your sister.”

John remained silent and stared at the item.

“Let me show you some moves before I go.” Maxwell patted his shoulder.

...

John fell on the grass, breathing heavily. “I need a break!”

Maxwell laughed. “You’ll get used to it. Just practice your grip and stance. Practice your swings on a tree and keep the blade maintained. That alone will teach you a lot.”

He shook his head excitedly. “I will!”

“That’s good. I’m off now.”

John sat up and wiped his brow. “Thanks!”

He helped the boy up and patted his shoulder. “You learn quick. You’ll definitely be something special.”

Wood creaked and the two looked at the home’s porch. Abigail came down with a bag. “Here, for the road!”

Maxwell blinked and took the offer. He glanced inside, seeing bread, apples, and various other food items. He smiled and his chest grew warm. “I appreciate it. I’ll be back with your bag too.”

Abigail put her hands on her hips. “You’d better!”

She then smiled. “Take care, Knight.”

...

Maxwell sat under a tree, watching the heavy downpour of water before him. The leaves did well for protection, but he still felt a consistent splash on his body.

Abigail, I swear I will return to you!

Oh, Sir Knight, farewell. I wait for you!

Maxwell felt his cheeks redden as She danced in the rain and romanticized the morning’s events. She bounced to her left and right, mimicking Maxwell and Abigail.

“It wasn’t like that.” Maxwell sighed.

She stopped and smirked at him. “My Max is in love! And with such a sweetheart too! What a lucky man!She then knelt before him and held up Her fingers, counting years. “It took a bit, but he’s finally interested in being social!

“Knock it off!”

Pressing her elbows into her knees, she held her head and looked him in the eye. “You mean to tell me you weren’t interested? You’re not thinking about her right now?Her smile curled. “Like laying in bed together right now instead of being out here?

Uncomfortable, he looked at Her.

His heart grew heavy at Her cold, intelligent eyes.

The downpour screamed in his ears.

“That’s enough.” Maxwell sighed, trying to hide his discomfort.

With a giggle, She touched his cheek. “You don’t have to be ashamed Max. It’s a normal desire. What matters is what is done with it. That is what destroys men.

Maxwell was caught in Her eyes. He was chilled to the bone by their frigid glow.

She smiled, and Her gaze calmed. “Don’t go forgetting about nameless old me now.

“That would never happen.”

She smiled. “I know.

Maxwell leaned against the tree and She crawled onto his lap and laid against his chest. “I am a part of you after all.

He sat still as she rested against him, waiting for the rain, and his heart, to calm.

...

The village was comfortably tucked below the mountain. Truly, it was a beautiful sight, or rather in a better time it would have been.

Do you really want to walk through here Max?She asked, worried.

The once beautiful stone buildings were unclean and cracked. The cobblestone roads were covered with mud and grass poked through its veins. The sight angered Maxwell.

“I have to. The sooner I get to the top the better.” He whispered. “I’ll deal with whatever gets in my way.”

He continued, making his way through the slum. Gazes of its disheveled residents fell on him. Their stares of disdain did not surprise him. His steps echoed through the broken stone.

Maxwell’s back tingled. He hated people looking at him, and paying so much attention to him.

“Is this some kind of joke?” A feminine voice cut through the whispers. She came out of the crowd. Black hair down to her hips and eyes dark as night. Despite how revealing her clothes were, many ornaments littered the cloth and rings covered her fingers. “You dare come here like that? You will anger him.”

“Who are you?” Maxwell asked.

“I talk for our lord on the hill, knight.” A smirk filled her face.

She’s a whore, Max! Don’t let her touch you! Freak! Freak!She growled, stomping around the two.

“A priestess? Dressed like that?”

Her eyes glowed at the insult. “Get her, Max!

To his surprise, the woman maintained her posture and approached him. She ran her finger on his chest. “Our lord encourages open love.” She then gently embraced him and whispered. “Why don’t you come with me? Remove that armor.”

She growled. “Don’t touch him, you freak!

The woman whispered in his ear. “Why wear armor like this? Armor of oppressors? When the angels came from the sky they freed us from your order. Come now Knight, remove your armor and join us. Accept us. Why must you exclude so many? Kill and harm so many? Can we not enjoy these times of peace? These times of acceptance?”

Maxwell gently grabbed her arms and she stepped away. “I prefer modest women.” He said.

She smirked. “As expected. We do have many new citizens if that is what you wish. You only have to bow and you will have a home. Aren't you tired of being alone? Being an outcast? We are full of love here.”

Maxwell fell silent and She looked at him with stern eyes.

Then he and Her smiled together.

“Take me to him. Surely your lord would love to set eyes on the last of his enemy.”

The woman’s lips curled into a hideous smile. “Certainly, knight. Our lord is forgiving. If you bow to him your life will be much better.” Her eyes scanned Maxwell. "It would be such a waste if you refused."

She led Maxwell to cobblestone stairs that twisted to the mountain’s peak.

Maxwell clenched his shaking hands.

He was mere minutes from fighting a true demon.

 

With this post I have finished porting The Wandering Knight over from Substack. I want to give a massive thanks to all of you that gave this story a shot. I really appreciate it and I hope you've enjoyed it up to this point. Releases will slow down now, but I will do my best to keep chapter updates consistent. Irl keeps me busy, but I plan on working on the story a lot in my free time. Once again thank you and I hope you enjoy what's to come!

 

4