Chapter 2 – Animal Crossing
25 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Baby tumbled head over paws through the portal, letting out a startled yowl. She landed with a soft thud in a patch of cool green grass. Blinking slowly, she looked around to take in her strange new surroundings.

She was in a cozy village on a sunny island, with charming brick and wood houses dotted amongst fruit trees swaying gently in the breeze. In the distance, Baby spied a blue rabbit cheerfully chatting with a cat wearing glasses. The cat waved, a friendly smile on his furry face.

Eager to explore, Baby bounded down a dusty path, her nose twitching excitedly. Vibrantly colored butterflies fluttered past, and Baby playfully batted at one with her paw.

As she turned a corner, she paused, eyes growing wide at the sight of a large red tent filled with exotic carpets and wallpapers. Entering curiously, she tipped over a small vase with her tail, sending it shattering loudly across the floor. A grumpy looking camel shopkeeper glared in Baby's direction. Uh oh! Baby dashed outside, hoping to avoid the camel's anger.

Just down the road was a stately brick building with "Mayberry Museum" engraved on a sign out front. As Baby approached, a peacock emerged, holding the door open. Seizing the opportunity, Baby scurried inside before it closed.

She wandered into the fossils exhibit first, her curiosity getting the better of her. She swatted storage boxes off tables, sending bones and artifacts scattering across the floor. Dirt flew as she dug through bins, unearthing ancient relics.

When nature called, she decided a pile of excavation dirt would make the perfect litter box. After relieving herself, she kicked dirt everywhere, causing plumes of dust to billow through the air.

Hearing noises down the hall, Baby's ears perked up. She bounded down the hall toward the bug exhibit. Peeking inside, she saw butterflies fluttering through the trees and insects crawling freely over vibrant exotic flowers.

Her feline instincts kicked in at the sight of so much prey and she began batting at the insects, herding them toward the open door.

Visitors in the lobby screamed as a swarm of insects came pouring out of the bug exhibit. Baby scampered after them, continuing her frenzied insect hunt.

Meanwhile, Blathers the owl caretaker looked ready to faint as bugs crawled up the walls and across display cases.

"Yikes yikes yikes!" he screeched, flapping his wings madly. "Get them away, get them away!"

Baby merely cocked her head, intrigued by his panic. She batted at a moth fluttering by, oblivious to the chaos surrounding her.

Spotting an open window, the clever cat leapt up onto the sill. With one last look back at the pandemonium, she disappeared outside into the warm sunshine, leaving poor Blathers trembling behind her.

Having had her fill of mayhem at the museum, Baby trotted down the street, her tail held high with mischievous intent. Up ahead was the town hall. Inside was Tom Nook busily counting bags of Bells.

Sneaking through the front door, Baby peered around the corner. Tom Nook was perched on a tall stool behind the counter, piles of Bells stacked high around him. He muttered to himself as he counted, not noticing the curious cat.

Baby crouched low and crept closer on silent paws. With a mighty leap, she sprang onto the counter, scattering Bells everywhere. They rolled and bounced across the polished wood in a glinting torrent.

"Oh my goodness gracious!" Tom Nook cried, scrambling to gather the runaway currency. But more spilled out with each grab, creating an endless waterfall of Bells.

Baby batted at the shining coins, sending them flying through the air. "Not the money! Please stop!" Tom Nook begged. But the mischievous kitten was having too much fun.

Seeing the back room door left ajar, Baby darted inside, spying a full bag of Bells. With a swipe of her paw, she sliced it open, unleashing a cascade of Bells across the floor.

Tom Nook raced after her in vain, slapping his hands over his eyes at the mess. "What a catastrophe! It will take forever to recount all this."

Baby merely meowed with delight, pouncing on a stray Bell and sending it skittering under a filing cabinet, lost to the mayhem forever. Her work finished, she sauntered out of town hall with an air of smug satisfaction. Tom Nook's frenzied cries echoed after her as she happily skipped down the street.

After causing trouble in Nook’s store, Baby decided a nap was in order. She wandered down a sandy path, seeking the perfect napping spot. Soon she happened upon a quiet beach, with gentle waves lapping the shore.

Purring contentedly, Baby circled in the soft sand before curling up. She was just about to doze off when a giant shadow passed overhead. Looking up, she saw a huge owl swooping down. It was Celeste, the astronomer owl!

Celeste landed gracefully beside the snoozing cat. "My my, and who might you be?" she inquired, peering at Baby with large yellow eyes. Baby blinked back slowly, more interested in sleep than conversation.

Undeterred, Celeste continued, "I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting such a lovely kitty before. What brings you to Mayberry?"

Before Baby could respond, Celeste spotted a sparkling object under the cat's paw. "Goodness, what have you found there?" she asked. Baby looked down to see a golden star fragment, fallen from the sky.

Celeste's eyes lit up. "A shooting star fragment! You know, I could use this for my studies of the night skies. Would you consider parting with your treasure, little one?"

Baby thought for a moment, then let out a massive yawn, too tired to care about stars or fragments. Understanding the cat's meaning, Celeste chuckled.

"Very well, I shall let you return to your nap. Enjoy the rest!" And with that, she grasped the fragment in her beak and flew off into the sky. Baby's eyes drifted closed once more as she curled up to resume her seaside snooze.

Baby awoke from her nap feeling refreshed. As the sun began to set over the horizon, she decided to explore a bit more before calling it a night.

Padding down the beach, she soon came upon a towering pile of vegetables. Curious, she crept closer and saw they were turnips - hundreds of them, stacked taller than she was!

"What a funny place to store veggies," she meowed to herself. But then she noticed faded writing scraped into the sand nearby: "DO NOT TOUCH!"

Baby cocked her head, puzzled. Why would anyone want to save these when they could be eaten now? Clearly these turnips needed rescuing before they went to waste.

With a mighty leap, she launched herself onto the pile. Turnips tumbled down around her in an avalanche of greens. Baby batted them merrily across the shore, rolling in the vegetation.

Once the last turnip had bounced away, Baby spotted a building in the distance with familiar raccoon face carved into a sign in the front.

"Nook's Cranny!" she meowed happily. Perhaps Tom would know what to do with her newfound crops.

Carrying as many turnips as she could manage in her mouth, Baby trotted up to the store. Dropping the veggies at the counter, she meowed loudly until a startled Timmy appeared.

"Well golly, look what the kitty dragged in!" he exclaimed. "Turnips for sale, huh? I'll give you 500 bells each - that's the going rate today."

Baby purred in delight as Bells changed paws. Her good deed done, she skipped merrily back to the beach to get the rest of the turnips.

Once she sold all the turnips to Nook’s Cranny, Baby wandered down the shoreline in a playful mood. Rounding the bend, she froze in her tracks.

Standing by the empty turnip patch was the island's mayor, Lily with a look of shock and dismay.

"W-what happened to my turnips?!" she exclaimed, hands on her hips. "I was saving those to sell at peak price!"

Baby gulped. She suddenly felt guilty for 'rescuing' the turnips without asking. Backing away slowly, she hoped to slip away unseen.

But it seemed her luck had run out. Hearing a crunch of sand, the mayor whirled around and spotted the guilty kitty.

"You!" she cried, pointing an accusatory finger. "Did you take my turnips, you furry thief?"

Baby froze, eyes wide. Before the mayor could say more, she spun and bolted at top speed.

"Hey, come back here!" the mayor yelled, giving chase. But Baby was too swift, dodging between palm trees and weaving among bushes to lose her pursuer.

Risking a glance back, she saw the mayor had given up the hunt, hands on her knees as she caught her breath.

Baby turned and ran further north up the shore until she noticed lights out on the water. Intrigued, she climbed onto a rock to investigate. Moored a short distance away was a weathered old boat, lanterns glowing warmly from its deck.

Her curiosity piqued, Baby swam out to investigate. She nimbly climbed aboard the vessel, giving herself a quick shake to dry her drenched fur. Looking around, she saw the boat was filled with covered canvases and odd knick-knacks. Suddenly, a gruff voice spoke up.

"Well, what have we here?"

Baby's fur stood on end as a fox emerged from the cabin. He had on blue apron with a ginkgo leaf on it.

"I don't believe we've met, kitty cat," the fox said smoothly. "The name's Redd, proprietor of rare and exotic goods."

He eyed Baby with interest. "Now how did you find your way to my secret shop, hm? You must be one clever cat."

Baby padded slowly around the creaky wooden deck, her curious eyes taking in the odd assortment of items crammed aboard. She paused to sniff at a strange metallic sculpture, then batted playfully at an ornate vase teetering near the edge of a crate.

Eventually she sat back on her haunches in front of a large canvas depicting a serene countryside landscape. The idyllic scene of grassy hills and farms under a bright blue sky captivated the little cat.

Noticing her interest, Redd sauntered over. "Ah, I see you have an eye for fine art!" he exclaimed. "Well, cat, for you I have a very special offer. As my first feline customer, I'm willing to give you an exclusive discount. Think of how this beautiful painting will brighten up your new home! And consider it an investment - a work like this will only increase in value over time. So what do you say, kitty? Care to take home this masterpiece for the low price of only 4,000 Bells?"

Baby tilted her head curiously. She didn't have a place to put artwork, but then it dawned on her - the museum! She could donate this lovely painting as an apology gift after the chaos she'd caused earlier.

With an approving meow, Baby extended her paw to accept Redd's deal. The crafty fox grinned in response.

"Fantastic doing business with you! Your home is sure to be the envy of the island with art of this quality on display. Now, shall I have this wrapped up for you? And please, take one of my cards in case you'd like to peruse my other wares in the future. I'm always acquiring new, one-of-a-kind pieces."

As he readied her purchase, Baby noticed his lack of any real paperwork or credentials. But the painting would look wonderful in the museum! She couldn't wait to see Blathers' reaction to her special gift.

Redd handed over the wrapped canvas with a flourish and a wink “There, all set! Thank you kindly for your business. It's been a pleasure."

Clutching the wrapped canvas carefully in her jaws, Baby made her way back to the museum. Approaching the front doors, Baby saw that the place had been tidied up since her last unruly visit. With a flick of her tail, she pushed her way inside using her head.

Blathers was at the front desk looking frazzled. When he spotted Baby, the owl instinctively flinched.

"You again! I-I mean, ahem, welcome back," he stammered, eyeing her warily.

Baby padded up to the desk and gently set down the wrapped painting. She gave a soft, apologetic mew.

"What's this now?" Blathers unwrapped the canvas, eyes widening at the landscape depicted. "My word, what a lovely painting! Is this...for us?"

Baby nodded eagerly.

"For the museum? Well I say, how tremendously generous!" Blathers exclaimed. "I accept this donation with the utmost gratitude. It will make a fine new addition to our art exhibit."

He carefully picked up the painting with his talons. "Thank you, my dear. I shall hang it straightaway! Do feel free to visit anytime."

Baby purred happily as she watched the painting get carried off. She was glad to have brightened up the museum and made amends with poor Blathers after her earlier antics.

With that, Baby scampered out of the museum. As she emerged into the moonlight, soft guitar music drifted through the empty town plaza.

Intrigued, Baby padded towards the sound and found a white dog strumming a beat-up old guitar on the steps of the town hall. He was lost in his playing, swaying to the melody under the stars.

Baby listened enchanted, the plaintive notes washing over her. After a few songs, the dog - whose name tag read K.K. Slider - noticed her rapt attention.

"Well hey there little kitty cat," he greeted in a smooth voice. "You dig the tunes?"

Baby meowed happily in response. K.K. chuckled. "I'm just warming up my paws until the Saturday night concert. Wanna sit a spell and hear some new material?"

She eagerly settled in to listen as K.K. launched into some of his works-in-progress. Baby was enthralled by the stories he wove through melody and lyrics, transporting the listener to far off places.

Before long, the sun began to lighten the eastern sky with dawn's glow. K.K. smiled down at Baby, curled up on the steps. "Looks like I've captured my first ever feline fan. Thanks for keeping me company all night, kitty cat."

He strummed a few final chords as Baby stretched leisurely in the morning light. A new day was dawning for this curious cat, full of possibilities. Baby set off to start her day of exploring. As she ambled down the winding path, a cozy cottage with a thatched roof came into view. Colorful flowers lined the brick walkway leading to an oak door.

Instinct told Baby this must be the mayor's house. Sure enough, through an open window drifted the aroma of sizzling bacon and coffee percolating. Baby's little tummy rumbled eagerly.

With a nimble jump, she landed on the windowsill and peered inside. Mayor Lily sat at her kitchen table, morning paper in one hand and mug of coffee in the other. A plate piled high with pancakes, eggs and crispy bacon sat untouched before her.

Baby's mouth watered uncontrollably. She just had to get a taste of that feast. With another leap, she tumbled through the open window into a heap on the counter.

"What the -!" Lily cried in surprise. But before she could react, Baby had grabbed a fat rasher of bacon in her teeth and bounded away.

"Oh no you don't," Lily chuckled, giving chase. But Baby was too quick, leaping from surface to surface with her prize. She knocked over a bowl of fruit as Lily lunged, sending oranges bouncing across the floor.

Darting into the living room, Baby spied an open bag of flour on the table. With reckless abandon she launched herself inside, rolling around happily amidst clouds of white. When she emerged, her dark fur was flecked ghostly white from ears to tail.

By now Lily was in stitches, any irritation forgotten. "I suppose you've earned that bacon, you little scoundrel!" she laughed. "Now go on, before you cause any more mischief!"

Baby purred contentedly around her mouthful of stolen breakfast, mission accomplished once more. It seemed no place on this island was safe from her impish ways!

Bounding back outside, Baby continued on her journey. Soon she came across a large beehive hanging from a tree branch. Curious as always, she couldn't resist batting at it with her paw. The hive swayed back and forth, angry buzzing emanating from within.

Suddenly, dozens of bees swarmed out, heading straight for Baby! She yowled in surprise and took off running down the path with the furious buzzing cloud close behind.

Just when it seemed the bees would catch her, Baby spotted a strange green pipe poking up from the ground. Wasting no time, Baby leapt down the pipe's dark opening. With a startled "meow", she tumbled head over tail down into its depths. Multicolored pixels swirled around her as if in a video game warp zone.

Within moments, daylight flooded her vision again as Baby popped out the other side. Blinking slowly, she took in strange new surroundings.

She was now standing in a bright, blocky world of hills, platforms and question mark boxes. Pixelated goombas marched nearby and in the distance loomed a pixelated castle. Baby couldn't believe her eyes! What kind of new mischief could she get into in this exciting game world? Her whiskers twitched with anticipation as she set off to explore.

2