Chapter 3 – Super Mario World
21 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Baby bounded through the blocky landscape, her tiny white paws pushing off each pixelated surface with energetic leaps. Everything was new and interesting to explore in this strange world. Her curious pink nose sniffed vigorously at every bush, hoping to discover new intriguing scents hidden among the blocky foliage. 

As she batted playfully at some passing goombas that waddled lazily by, something up ahead caught her eye. A portly man with a red hat came soaring over a pit, impossibly high and graceful for one of his stature. His blue overalls and bushy brown mustache were unmistakable - this had to be the legendary Mario!

"Meow!" Baby cried out excitedly, picking up her pace into a full sprint toward the man. Purring loudly with curiosity and excitement, she rubbed her small brown body against his leg furiously, nearly sending him off balance in the process.  

"Mama mia!" Mario exclaimed in surprise as he stumbled, trying fruitlessly to shoo the bothersome feline away with his hands. But she was too fast and energetic to deter so easily. He had no time for such distractions - Bowser had kidnapped Princess Peach once more, and it was up to him to save her! 

Baby, however, was far more interested in the floppy red hat perched atop his head. It looked almost like a toy to her, and she wanted nothing more than to play. Crouching low on her little haunches, she wiggled her butt eagerly, gathered her strength, and then jumped upwards with a mighty pounce toward Mario's hat.

"Oof, ow!" Mario cried out in alarm as Baby launched herself at his head. Her small sharp jaws grasped onto the rim of his signature red hat with surprising strength for one so little. With a swift tug, she tore the hat away from his head triumphantly. 

Then Baby was off like a flash, scampering away as quickly as her little legs could carry her while clutching her new prize securely in her teeth. Mario watched in stunned disbelief for a moment as his hat was kidnapped before him. 

"Come-a back here!" Mario yelled after her in frustration, shaking his fist as he immediately gave chase. Baby spotted a vine climbing up the side of the landscape and quickly scrambled up it, fluffy brown and black striped tail bouncing energetically behind her.

Mario was hot on her trail, pulling himself hastily up the vine in pursuit. But Baby was lithe and agile, leaping from the vine onto the top of a platform with ease. From there, she bounded from platform to platform, leaping over gaps with grace. 

Meanwhile, Mario huffed and puffed loudly from the exertion of climbing, struggling to keep up the pace. Just as he had finally hauled himself up and was closing in on cornering Baby against the edge, she spotted an opportunity. A green warp pipe sat invitingly at the end of the walkway.

Wasting no time, Baby squeezed her small body into the pipe entrance while still firmly clutching the hat in her jaws. She slid down gleefully out of sight, leaving Mario panting and sweating at the top. With a frustrated sigh, he realized too late that the sneaky kitten had outmaneuvered him, making off with his most prized possession.

Popping out of the other side of the green pipe, Baby found herself in a very unfamiliar place. She exited into a cavernous stone corridor lit dimly by flickering torchlight that cast eerie dancing shadows against dusty brick walls. Curiosity overcoming her, Baby hesitantly padded down the winding staircase, her tiny paws echoing in the silence.

Suddenly, a thunderous rumbling shook the very foundations of the walls around her. Baby crouched low with a start, her brown fur standing on end. From a dark doorway at the bottom of the stairs emerged an enormous hulking figure. Armored plates of thick scaly skin covered a bulky muscular body, and a spiked shell adorned his back. Two piercing yellow eyes peered out from an angry scowl under a ridged brow. It could only be Bowser, the king of the Koopas. 

With a hiss, Baby arched her small body up defensively, her claws unsheathing as she bristled in warning. But Bowser merely stopped in his tracks, his scowl shifting momentarily to one of puzzlement as he sniffed the air. His keen senses detected an unfamiliar tiny intruder - and hold on, was that Mario's unmistakable red hat clenched tightly in her jaws?

A wicked gleam suddenly lit up his golden reptilian eyes as an idea formed. Bowser threw back his massive head and bellowed with deep throaty laughter that echoed menacingly off the walls, the idea of turning this unexpected development to his advantage. He loomed over the tiny kitten, flashing his massive fangs in a hungry grin. 

"Well well, what have we here?" he growled. "Stealing the hat right off Mario's head, are you? I like your style, pint-size." 

Baby's pink nose wrinkled at the Koopa's sulfurous breath, but she stood her ground defiantly. Bowser reached down a claw twice the size of her whole body, intending to snatch her up. But with lightning-quick reflexes, Baby dodged his grasp and bolted further into the complex of halls and chambers. 

"Come back, you flea-bitten furball!" Bowser bellowed, giving chase on his thunderous feet. His bulk caused the torches to sway dangerously as he barreled past in hot pursuit.

Baby weaved through the maze-like corridors, always staying just out of Bowser's reach. An idea was forming in her curious little mind. If she could lead this hulking villain directly to Mario, perhaps the plumber stood a chance of toppling him once and for all. 

Darting around another corner, Baby saw an opportunity - a crack in the ceiling just wide enough to squeeze through. She scrambled up the crumbling stones, wriggling into the tight space with Mario's hat still firmly in her jaws. From above, she watched and waited for Bowser to blunder directly below. Then with a devious meow, she dropped the hat onto his scaly head.  

"What's this?!" Bowser roared as the hat landed over his eyes. He thrashed about, claws scraping against the stone walls. "Those mangy paws of yours will pay for this, cat!"

Baby yowled tauntingly from her perch high above the stone corridor. Her plan had worked even better than she'd anticipated! As Bowser thrashed about below, she darted away through the crumbling rafters. 

Finally, Bowser tore the hat off with a roar of frustration. The Koopa King glared up at the system of rafters, certain he caught a glimpse of brown and white fur darting away through the shadows. No matter, he would deal with the meddlesome feline later. For now, there was an annoying plumber to defeat.

Shifting the hat atop his ridged brow, Bowser angled it at a jaunty cocky slant, no longer obstructing his view. Just then, Mario's recognizable stomping footsteps echoed down the crumbling corridor, growing louder as he rapidly approached. 

"It's-a me, Mario!" he called, ready to face Bowser. 

Rounding the corner, he skidded to a halt at the bizarre sight before him. His signature hat, now perched atop the massive Koopa King's head, and Bowser sneering menacingly down at him. 

"Gwa ha ha! Prepare to meet your doom, Mario, in your own hat no less!" Bowser bellowed, flexing his bulging muscles threateningly. 

Mario stifled a chuckle. "You always did have lousy taste in fashion, Bowser." 

"The only one with lousy taste is you, showing up to fight me empty handed!" Bowser snarled, launching himself at Mario.

But Mario was quick. He spun out of the way just in time, causing Bowser to smash himself headfirst in the stone wall. 

"Is that the best you got?" Mario taunted. His eyes darted around for anything to use against the Koopa King. Spotting Baby perched above, an idea came to him.

"Hey kitty, think you can cause some trouble from up there?" he called.

Baby meowed in understanding. She raked her claws across the ceiling, loosening some rubble. With careful aim, she sent it tumbling right onto Bowser's vulnerable tail.

"Yeeoww!" Bowser howled. He spun to swipe at the debris, leaving his chest exposed. 

Seizing the chance, Mario delivered a powerful dropkick to Bowser's chin. Stars flew as the Koopa reeled backwards, dropping Mario’s hat and crashing through the already weakened ceiling. 

Daylight streamed into the crumbling chamber as Bowser fell beyond. His cries faded into the distance as he blasted off.

Mario grinned up at Baby. "Great work, team! Looks like the kingdom is safe, thanks to you."

Baby purred proudly in response, happy to have played her role. 

Mario strode over to retrieve his fallen hat, dusting it off before placing it firmly back on his head. 

"Now, to find Peach!" Mario declared to Baby. She meowed and leapt down from her perch, ready to help further. Together they made their way through the ruined castle corridors.

Eventually, the sounds of muffled cries led them to a tall tower. Baby scratched at the wooden doors, which creaked open slowly. Inside, Princess Peach sat bound, her eyes lighting up at the sight of Mario.

"You came to save me!" she exclaimed joyfully as he pulled out a knife and cut the ropes binding her. "And I see you have a new friend too." Peach smiled and scratched Baby's chin.

"It's over now. Let's-a go home." He gave Baby an appreciative nod. "Thanks to our new partner, the kingdom is safe once more."

And so with their mission accomplished, Mario led Peach from the tower as Baby swirled around their legs, delighted to have played a role in rescuing the Princess. 

That evening, Mario threw a big party at the castle to celebrate defeating Bowser once again. There was lots of delicious cake, music, dancing and laughter. 

Baby played happily with Toad and Yoshi, batting around balls of yarn. But when she grew tired, she wandered away from the festivities in search of a quiet nap spot.

Climbing up some stone steps, Baby came upon a strange glowing warp pipe tucked in the castle corner. Curious as ever, she poked her pink nose inside, sniffing. Without hesitation, Baby hopped right in - and whoosh! She went shooting down the pipe at lightning speed. What world will she end up in next?

2