Chapter 5 – Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Baby tumbled through the purple portal, the Nether fading behind her. As she fell through the vortex, flashing lights and strange pixelated shapes swirled around her.

With a sudden thud, she landed on solid ground. Blinking, Baby looked around in confusion - these weren't the familiar blocky graphics of Minecraft. The landscape was more realistic with curved architecture built into hillsides and towering stone walls. Up ahead she could see a town with a giant clock tower.

As Baby explored her unfamiliar surroundings, an ominous rumbling filled the air. The ground began to shake and the people around her panicked. 

They cried "The moon is falling!" 

Baby looked up to see an enormous, sinister moon looming overhead with a snarling face and creepy red eyes just staring down. She realized where she must be - the doomed land of Termina from Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask. 

Baby knew she only had 3 days before the moon would destroy this world completely. With her cleverness and curiosity, she was determined to explore as much as she could and hopefully find some way to stop the catastrophe. 

Baby scurried toward the city gates, the ground quaking under her paws. She had a feeling this would be her most dangerous and exciting adventure yet. 

As she slipped through the giant wooden gates, a large chunk of moon rock crashed down where she had been standing. Inside the walls of Clock Town, people barricaded their doors and windows in terror. Baby's tail twitched curiously as she took in the chaotic scene.

As she padded down an alleyway, Baby kept glancing up nervously at the moon looming overhead. Its ominous, angry expression was unnerving to the little cat. She hoped to find shelter before more deadly chunks came raining down. 

Turning a corner, she came face to face with an impish figure floating eerily above the ground. It wore a creepy colorful wooden mask with giant spikes jutting out from all angles and had glowing yellow eyes that locked onto Baby's.

"You're not from around here," the creature giggled in an otherworldly voice.

Baby cautiously approached the floating imp, her fur bristling. He introduced himself as Skull Kid, a mischievous spirit who had stumbled upon Majora's Mask.

"What do you say we have some fun and explore this place together before the moon falls?" Skull Kid proposed with a tilt of his head. 

Baby considered the offer and realized having a magical new friend could be useful. Plus, she never turned down a chance for adventure and mischief. Her eyes glinted eagerly at the prospect.

Skull Kid cackled, doing a flip in the air. "I'll take that as a yes!"

The pair then slunk into the chaos-filled streets, evading the terrified townspeople who were all too distracted to notice them. Baby and Skull Kid exchanged impish grins, ideas for pranks and antics already brewing between them. 

Their first stop was the trading post, packed wall to wall with supplies. Under the cover of night and the villagers' distraction, Skull Kid and Baby stealthily snuck around, quietly filling their pockets with whatever oddments caught their eye.

"Ooo, so many fun things to play with!" Skull Kid snickered. 

Once their haul was full, they slipped back outside into the streets. Baby clutched a bag of red and blue potions in her mouth, while Skull Kid balanced an armful of deku nuts, apples and sticks. 

He floated up to a low rooftop, gesturing for Baby to follow. She leapt gracefully after him with her bag of potions in her mouth. From their vantage point above the main square, they had a view of the chaos unfolding below.

"This is gonna be good," Skull Kid cackled. He began levitating some of their stolen goods, taking aim over the edge of the roof. 

Baby crouched intently, tail swishing in amusement. With mischievous grins, they began dropping items on any unsuspecting passersby. 

Potions burst open in colorful explosions, soaking people. Deku nuts and apples bonked heads while sticks bounced off with loud thwacks.

Villagers scrambled to get out of the line of fire, looking around frantically for the source. But between the moon's panic and their own clever hiding spot, Skull Kid and Baby remained undetected. They relished the mayhem they'd unleashed on the doomed town from above.

Having had their fill of mayhem in the town square, Baby and Skull Kid slunk over to the post office. Inside, the postal workers were scrambling to finish delivering the mail before the impending apocalypse.

Baby and Skull Kid saw an opportunity to have some fun and decided to mess with the mail. They snuck into the sorting room and started swapping the envelopes, putting love letters in bills, bills in invitations, invitations in complaints, and so on. They also wrote some fake letters of their own, such as a confession from the mayor to his mistress, a threat from the moon to the town, and a ransom note from Tingle. 

They giggled & purred as they imagined the chaos and confusion that would ensue when the mail was delivered.

Meanwhile, one worker finished his delivery route preparations. He had a letter for Kafei from his beloved Anju. Little did he know mischievous paws had swapped the message.

When the postman found Kafei outside, he cheerfully handed over the letter. Kafei tore into it eagerly, hoping for sweet words from Anju. 

Instead, a ransom note from the oddball Tingle spilled out. Kafei's eyes widened in horror as he realized what it said.

"Dear Kafei,

I have kidnapped your precious Anju. If you ever want to see her again, you must pay me 1000 rupees and meet me at the clock tower. You have until midnight, or else I will marry her myself. Don’t try to find me or alert the guards, or you will regret it. This is your only warning.

Signed, Tingle"

Panic set in. How could Tingle have captured Anju? And how could he get so much money by midnight?

He decided he would confront this "Tingle" himself. Kafei rushed to the tower, fuming with worry and confusion. 

When he arrived, Kafei froze in stunned silence. Perched atop the clock was not Tingle... but a cackling Skull Kid in Majora's Mask.

Kafei stared up at Skull Kid in shocked disbelief. "Where the hell is Anju?" he shouted. "What have you done with her?"

Skull Kid's piercing laughter echoed across the town square, "You fell for our trick so easily!" he said between giggles. "Your precious girl is safe at the Stock Pot Inn, awaiting your return."

Baby mewed softly in Kafei's direction, as if offering a silent apology. But her green eyes still gleamed with mischief.

Relief washed over Kafei. Anju was unharmed - that's all that truly mattered. He spun on his heel and raced back down the clock tower steps, boots pounding the cobblestones as he sprinted toward the inn. 

Skull Kid watched him go from high above, cackling at the success of their prank. "Come, little cat. Our tricks have only just begun!" he called to Baby. 

She meowed curiously and padded after Skull Kid as he floated down toward the Curiosity Shop. As Skull Kid rummaged in his bag for a new prank, Baby saw the little bell above the door. She lightly tapped it with a paw, giving a short "mrrow" in amusement at the ringing sound.

Baby nudged Skull Kid and tilted her head toward the bell. A wicked grin spread across his masked face as he rang the bell. 

"Quick, hide behind that crate!" Skull Kid whispered to Baby. Then they scurried behind a crate to hide.

A few moments later, the shopkeeper emerged from inside, frowning as he looked around for customers. 

"Hello? Is someone there?" he called out grumpily. Finding no one, he went back inside shaking his head. 

Skull Kid stifled a laugh from their hiding place. "Did ya see the look on his face? Let's do it again!" 

Once more he rang the bell, and they scrambled back behind the crate. Sure enough, the shopkeeper reappeared, even more annoyed this time. 

As he scanned the empty street yet again, Skull Kid whispered to Baby "Let's do it one more time.” 

Before Baby could reply, Skull Kid darted out and rang the bell again. He scrambled back to hide just as the shopkeeper reemerged, even more annoyed than before.

"I know someone's out here playing tricks!" he shouted, peering down the empty street. "You'd better show yourself before I call the guards!" With a grumble, he retreated back inside.

Skull Kid was shaking with barely contained laughter. "That never gets old!" he chuckled. 

But Baby tugged on his sleeve nervously, glancing towards the town square. The people of Clock Town were growing more hysterical by the minute as doomsday approached. 

Skull Kid seemed to understand Baby's stare. "You're right, let's go find some more fun around this crazy town!" he agreed. And with that, the trickster duo scampered off into the chaos.

As they darted between panicked villagers, an enticing aroma caught Baby's attention. 

She meowed at Skull Kid and tilted her head towards the Milk Bar. A few patrons still lingered inside, enjoying a calm respite from the town-wide hysteria. 

"Ooh, let's see what kind of mischief we can stir up in there!" Skull Kid said with a gleeful cackle. He crept towards the bar with Baby following stealthily behind.  

Peering through the window, they spied shelves stocked with bottles of milk. A menu behind the counter displayed the bar's offerings. 

Skull Kid rubbed his hands together mischievously. "I've got an idea to really shake things up in there..."

Skull Kid whispered his mischievous plan to Baby. Her eyes gleamed in response as she nodded. 

The bartender was occupied with customers at the front counter. Quiet as mice, Skull Kid and Baby snuck into the main room behind the shelves of milk bottles. 

Skull Kid waved his hand, levitating all the bottles into the air. A few patrons glanced up in confusion at the floating milk.

"What in tarnation?" one remarked.

With a flick of his wrist, Skull Kid sent the bottles crashing down onto the handful of customers. Glass exploded on impact, drenching the people at the tables in creamy waves.

"Why I've been soaked!" an elderly woman sputtered as milk dripped off her hat. 

A farmer sitting next to her was utterly immersed, only his nose remaining dry.

From the splash zone came shouts of shock and outrage. The bartender whirled around to witness the scene of wet carnage. 

"What in blazes happened here?!" he cried.

Meanwhile, Baby and Skull Kid had slipped behind the bar counter, stifling laughter at the ruination of the once-calm oasis. 

As the bartender tried to calm the irate customers, Skull Kid grinned at Baby. "Let's get out of here before they see us!" he giggled. 

The mischievous duo scurried out a back window of the milk bar and into the chaotic streets, amused at the pandemonium they left behind. 

Skull Kid turned to Baby, a gleeful glint in his eye. "Time for some mayhem at the clock tower!" 

They stealthily entered the clock tower and began climbing the stairs. Looking through a window, Skull Kid spied cogs and gears filling the tower's core.

Waving his hands, Skull Kid magically rearranged the clock's inner workings. Gears slipped off tracks and jammed together, while pulleys yanked haphazardly. 

Below, the workers cried out in a panic. "The clock is going haywire!" one shouted. 

As the clock began ticking erratically, its booming bell rang at random intervals, startling the townsfolk below. 

"What in tarnation is wrong with that clock?" a man yelled.

Baby purred with glee at the chaos. But Skull Kid had one more trick up his sleeve. With an impish cackle, he made the giant clock hands spin backwards at top speed.

As the clock face blurred, the hands coming to a screeching halt on midnight, screams erupted throughout Clock Town. 

"Doomsday is here!" a woman shrieked hysterically.

Peering down in amusement, Skull Kid said to Baby "They're really panicking now. Let's go before someone figures it out!" 

Baby chirped in delight and followed Skull Kid as he led them down the winding clock tower stairs. When they reached the bottom, they could still hear shouts of alarm coming from outside. 

"That was our best prank yet!" exclaimed Skull Kid. He pulled Baby outside where the square was in absolute chaos. 

As Skull Kid and Baby ran through the darkening square, laughing over their latest trick, they collided with a figure coming the opposite way. The boy wore a green tunic and pointed hat, and had a sword and wooden shield strapped to his back. A tiny yellow fairy hovered at his shoulder, illuminating his determined face.

"Hey, stop right there!" he shouted, skidding to a halt in front of them. 

Skull Kid recognized him right away - it was Link, the boy from the forest whose ocarina and horse Skull Kid had stolen.

"What do you want, kid?" He sneered behind his mask.

"I want you to end this madness now," Link said firmly. "And you need to return the mask you stole from the Happy Mask Salesman." 

Skull Kid threw back his head and cackled. "The mask? What's wrong with the mask?" He gestured dramatically at the carved wooden face attached to his own, its horns and spikes catching the fairy glow eerily. 

Link leaned in intently. "Can't you see it's evil? It's controlling you, forcing you to make the moon fall!"  

Skull Kid just shrugged, unconcerned. "So what? This boring world doesn't understand me and is full of mean people. I don't care what happens to it." 

He glanced down at Baby for support, and she meowed softly in agreement.

Link knelt and spoke kindly to Baby. "Listen, little kitty, Skull Kid isn't really your friend. He did some terrible things to me and my fairy, and he’ll do the same to you. And now he's using that evil mask's power to make the moon fall and hurt everyone in Termina. You don't want to stick with someone who would do such bad things, do you?" 

Baby's eyes widened as she looked up at Skull Kid, suddenly unsure. Her playmate had never done anything to directly endanger her before.

Skull Kid sneered at Link. "Don't listen to this fool. We were just having fun with our games!"

But Link offered his hand to Baby. "I know you didn't mean for anyone to get truly hurt. Help me get that mask off Skull Kid and save these people - that's the right thing to do."

Baby glanced between the two boys, realizing for the first time that Skull Kid's games had escalated beyond mere mischief. She looked into Link's kind eyes and seemed to understand he truly wanted to help. 

With a soft meow of reluctant acceptance, she padded over to Link's side. He smiled warmly and scratched under her chin.

Skull Kid howled in rage and betrayal. "So you choose this rude boy over me? Very well - you will both regret defying the powers of Majora!"  

With a wave of Majora's corrupted power, the world went dark. When light returned, Link and Baby found themselves atop the moon, hovering menacingly over Termina. 

Skull Kid cackled madly ahead. "Fools, you have sealed your doom!" 

Link drew his sword and shielded Baby behind him. "It's your doom, Skull Kid, once that mask is removed. I'll free you from its hold."

The battle began across the barren rocky surface of the moon. Skull Kid wielded Majora's corrupted magic, hurling bolts of crackling energy.

Link dodged the onslaught gracefully, rolling and diving with instincts honed in past battles. Weaving in close, he parried Skull Kid's blows with his shield and blade, fighting not just for his own life but for the people of Termina below. Baby watched anxiously, pride in her new friend mingling with fear for his safety. 

As the battle wore on, Skull Kid's strength began to wane under Majora's punishing control. Seeing her chance, Baby sprang into action. She darted between the combatants, claws extended, and raked them across the masked face.

The wooden visage shattered, an unearthly shriek piercing the air as Majora's evil fled its vessel. Skull Kid collapsed, the corruption lifting from his small form. Slowly, he stirred and looked around with new eyes.

"Please...don't hurt me..." Skull Kid whimpered, cringing back in fear and remorse. 

Link sheathed his blade and approached with palms raised in peace. "It's alright, we're not here to harm you. The mask is gone - you're free now." 

Baby meowed softly in agreement. Skull Kid looked between them, relief and wonder mixing on his tear-streaked face. 

"Why...why did you help me?" Skull Kid asked softly. 

Link smiled kindly. "The mask made you do bad things, but we know that's not who you really are," he replied. 

Baby meowed and rubbed against Skull Kid's leg. He hesitantly pet her head, and she began to purr. A small smile formed on his face.

"Will you come back to the forest with us?" Link asked. "We can be friends again, without the mask's evil influence."

Skull Kid thought for a moment. He remembered the joy of forest frolicking before the mask twisted his heart. Maybe these two spoke the truth.

He nodded slowly. With Termina saved below, the three friends floated down from the moon, landing safely in Clock Town Square. But instead of the panic and chaos from before, they found the townspeople celebrating joyously. 

The moon had ceased its descent, and the Carnival of Time was now in full swing. Music and laughter filled the air as children played games and adults strolled hand-in-hand. 

Link, Skull Kid and Baby stumbled upon the festivities with wide smiles. It warmed Skull Kid's heart to see the people he once terrorized now reveling in safety and community. 

A little girl spotted them and gasped. "Mama, look! It's the fairy boy who saved us!" 

Soon the trio found themselves surrounded by appreciative townsfolk. Mayor Dotour even presented Link with a special mask as a token of gratitude. Skull Kid watched shyly from behind Baby, feeling strange but hopeful emotions.

As the celebration carried on late into the night, Skull Kid realized with dawning wonder - this is what real friendship and camaraderie felt like. His past misdeeds seemed very far away.

The next morning, Link and Baby played together in the town square as the celebratory cleanup continued around them. Link took out his treasured ocarina and played a joyful tune for Baby to dance to. 

As his fingers moved across the holes, emitting the strangely familiar Song of Time, Baby felt a strange pulsing sensation overtake her small body. Before Link's eyes, she seemed to fade like a ghost, leaving only empty air where she had been.

"Baby?!" Link cried out in alarm. At that moment, Skull Kid entered the square, carrying a handful of colorful mushrooms from the forest. 

"Is something wrong?" he asked with concern. Link told him how Baby had vanished during his song. Skull Kid's eyes widened, then he took Link's hand. "Come, I want to show you something."

Deep in the Lost Woods, Skull Kid led Link to a moss-covered tree trunk. Upon it, Skull Kid had etched a picture into the bark - himself smiling between caricatures of Link and Baby. 

Link gasped. "Do you think...the Song of Time sent her somewhere else?" 

Skull Kid nodded slowly, squeezing Link's shoulder in reassurance. Their adventure was not yet over, it seemed...

1