Chapter Two: Unraveling The Truth
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I finally pulled up to Sab's house, my mind was still reeling from the bizarre and terrifying encounter I had just experienced in the dark streets of Detroit. I parked the car and took a deep breath, trying to shake off the residual unease that clung to me like a shroud.

Sab's house was a modest Apartment room, cluttered yet cozy. The light by the door was on, and I could see the faint glow of a television flickering through the curtains. I gathered my belongings and made my way to the front door, my heart pounding in my chest with a mixture of excitement and apprehension.

Before I could even knock, the door swung open, revealing Sab's grinning face. He was shorter in person than I had imagined from our countless gaming sessions, and his warm green eyes radiated genuine happiness.

"Zach, my man! You actually made it!" Sab exclaimed, pulling me into a bear hug. "I can't believe you're finally here!"

I returned the hug, feeling a rush of camaraderie. "Yeah, man. It's been a crazy ride, but I made it."

As we separated, Sab's eyes darted over me, as if searching for something. "Everything okay? You look like you've seen a ghost."

I chuckled nervously, not quite ready to share the strange and horrifying events of the past few hours. "Nah, just a long drive and a flat tire. Nothing too exciting."

Sab seemed to buy my explanation, though a hint of skepticism lingered in his expression. "Well, come on in. You must be starving after that drive."

I followed Sab inside, the warmth of his home and the scent of pizza enveloping me. We settled into the living room, and Sab handed me a slice of pepperoni pizza with a lot of cheese.

As we ate, Sab regaled me with stories of his favorite go to places in Ontario, his work, and his plans for the upcoming weekend. I tried my best to focus on his words, using his cheerful chatter as a distraction from the haunting memories that threatened to resurface.

"By the way," Sab said between bites, "I meant what I said on the phone. There's something I need to tell you. Something important."

I looked up from my plate, intrigued. "Oh? What is it?"

Sab's expression turned serious, his brow furrowing. "Things are starting to get lively around here. I'm seeing some weird shit that I don't like."

My heart raced as I recalled my own recent brush with the inexplicable. "What do you mean? What's been happening?"

Sab hesitated, as if choosing his words carefully. "I know you might think think I'm crazy but I can see shit like ghosts and other things.."

My mind whirred, connecting the dots between Sab's confession and the chilling events I had faced. "Wait, are you saying... you've been able to see the supernatural?"

Sab nodded, his eyes intense. "I know it sounds insane, but yeah I've always been able to.. and yo-" Sab quickly cut off whatever he was about say before coughing. 

My thoughts were a whirlwind of confusion and disbelief, but Sab's earnestness was undeniable. "I... I had a weird experience tonight too," I confessed, my voice barely above a whisper.

Sab's eyes widened. "Really? What happened?"

I took a deep breath, recounting the chilling encounter with the three strangers in Detroit and the inexplicable violence that followed. Sab listened intently, his expression a mix of shock and concern.

"Oh... I see," Sab muttered, running a hand through his hair. Sab's gaze became more intense, his voice lowering. "Zach, there's something else you need to know. Something that might explain all of this."

My curiosity peaked, I leaned in, my attention fully on Sab. "What is it?"

Sab hesitated for a moment, his gaze searching mine. "Zach, we're not entirely human. We're cambions."

The word hung in the air, and for a moment, I was silent, trying to process the weight of Sab's revelation. "Cambions? What... what does that mean?"

Sab's expression was serious, but his eyes held a strange mix of knowing and empathy. "Cambions are beings with both human and demon heritage. It's what gives us our unique abilities and allows us to see and experience the supernatural."

My mind raced as I tried to wrap my head around this new information. "Wait, you're saying... we're part demon?"

Sab nodded, his hand moving to rest on my shoulder in a gesture of comfort. "Yes, Zach. I know it's a lot to take in, but it's the truth. And I'm sorry I couldn't tell you sooner. I think you lost control temporarily and let your inner demon run rampant on those men... It's going to be okay though. I'm going to help you through this but it's not going to be pleasant."

A surge of emotions washed over me – disbelief, confusion, fear – as I grappled with the idea that I was something beyond human. "I... I don't even know how to process this."

Sab's grip on my shoulder tightened slightly. "I understand. It took me a while to come to terms with it too. But we're in this together."

Before I could respond, a sudden, searing pain erupted in my head, causing me to grip my temples in agony. It felt as though something was tearing at the very fabric of my mind, threatening to unravel my sanity.

"Don't fight it!" Sab's voice was urgent , but it seemed to echo from a distance as the pain intensified.

Just as quickly as it had come, the pain subsided, leaving me breathless and disoriented. My surroundings seemed to blur, and a sensation of falling overtook me.

Before I could make sense of what was happening, I was plunged into darkness. When I came to I was somewhere that felt both familiar and alien. As I slowly got my bearings I couldn't shake the feeling that this was only the beginning of a journey that would redefine everything I thought I knew.

 

A/N: Quite the different style shift. I'm experimenting with a lot of different things. Please comment and let me know which style you like more going forward!

0