Banquet Suspicion
56 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Surprise! This chapter follows the princess not Kendrick. Also its long like 2,000 words long.

"This loyal subject greets your highness. May your birthday be a smashing success. "

Ruri immediately was hit with the feeling that something was ...off.

"It's alright to refer to me like you usually do, Dan..."

"Your highness, please remember that this is a formal setting."

A formal attitude followed immediately by a rebuke. Why was the always laid-back and casual Dan Alastair like this? It made her uneasy.

"Y-you may raise your head..."

Since the party started for the first time the two locked eyes. Ruri saw a very unfamiliar emotion in Dan's eyes. Disappointment.

This was wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Oh how the princess's intuition bleated and howled! Was this just some new side of Dan she didn't know of or is something masquerading as him? That second possibility chewed on Ruri's brain despite the absurdity of it. Of course the person in front of her was Dan her beloved! Who else could it be? Why would that thought even come into her head? Why would it attach to her brain like a parasite? Why would Dan look at her like that? Music started to play.

"Your highness? Helloooo!"

"Ah! My apologies for spacing out like that..."

The rest of the nobles were giving her strange looks. The music signaled the start of the waltz. The rest of the nobles couldn't start dancing until she started, so they just looked at her in confusion. Did they not see how out of character Dan was right now? No, no one else knew Dan like her. She shouldn't blame them for not being able notice the difference in the person in front of her, but that means she had to deal with this off feeling alone. Kendrick's disappointed stare was getting worse. Etiquette demanded that Ruri ask for the dance. 

"C-can I have this dance, Dan?"

"Of course, your highness!"

He takes Ruri's outstretched hand. They start to sway to the music. Another subtle difference is noticed. Dan was a terrible dancer, but not due to a lack of rhythm or talent. Dan had the proper education and talent to be an excellent dancer, he just didn't want too. This person though? They sucked at dancing. It was obvious that they didn't know what they were doing. Whispers flew under the cover of the music.

"Ugh, is that shameless bastard STILL pretending like he doesn't know how to dance?"

"Hmph, He actually showed some decent etiquette for once when talking to the princess, but I guess some things just don't change..."

Ruri knew the other's were mistaken. This thing genuinely didn't know how to dance. Nonetheless she couldn't call it out. She would look crazy. Maybe she was crazy. This whole situation was crazy. This Dan wasn't Dan. There was no logical explanation for it. Was it some monster she didn't know about? 

As the princess danced with the mimic, the creature quickly improved. It was a quick learner. That terrified Ruri. By the end of the dance, the mimic had memorized the steps. It could passably tango with any noble it so pleased. What other skills could it pick up and use? However, the mimic didn't take another partner. No, instead the entity claimed,

"Apologies, I must use the restroom."

And quickly left the dance hall. A clear move to avoid the party. Why would it though? Is the mimic not confident that it can fool the other nobles? Why does it think it can't keep up the ruse? Did it notice Ruri's suspicion? A terrifying possibility. Looking at the play from another angle, leaving the party early after doing the bare minimum is a very Dan thing to do. Perhaps the thing thought all the formalities would draw suspicion instead. If that was the case, it knew Dan well. Also why did it decide to eat all those apple fritters? 

Dancing with many while lost in thought, the music subsided. The creature returned just in time for the banquet. It took Dan's seat beside the princess. It's face was expectant. Ruri's instincts, the thing that made her most suited to rule, ran wild once again. Something was about to happen. Something big. But what was going to happen. What did the mimic have to do with it? Ruri's eyes darted around the banquet hall, scanning all the faces.

She locked eyes with Viscount Anwir. It was masquerading as his son. Did he know? Did he play a part in it's creation? The Viscount merely smiled benignly. That drove her even crazier. She moved her eyes elsewhere, but kept him in her peripheral vision. The Viscount then looked towards Silvia Frost, a duke's daughter. She was beautiful, so was he just ogling a pretty young girl or was... Silvia makes a subtle hand motion. He nods. Ruri grimaces. The duke is in on whatever is happening. That meant that worse case scenario, civil war could break out. Ruri focused a bit more attention on Silvia. She followed her gaze towards... the mimic. Of course. Her eyes look... appraising? Is there some reason for doubt? The mimic notices. First confusion then disgust. The future duchess's eyes widen with shock. It was the first time Ruri had seen emotion on their doll like face. Their eyes then narrow, wrath. Silvia's mouth twitches. Words desperately trying to escape her lips. Their face becomes slightly redder and a crazed smile keeps the words locked tight. The Viscount is pretending he doesn't exsist. 

Implications are o' plenty. The mimic clearly isn't too fond of Duke Frost's daughter. Is the mimic unwillingly a part of whatever scheme is brewing? If so, why? That why could easily be the ticket Ruri needed to avoid whatever was about to happen. Ruri pulled on It's sleeve, a barely audible whisper escaped her lips,

"D-do you perhaps like a-apple fritters?"

"I suppose?"

"I-i... I can give you all the apple fritters you could ever want if you work with me!

The disappointment in It's eyes changed. Replaced by a spark of interest, curiosity, even a bit of greed.

"Oh? You have reason to think I'm working against you?"

Ruri felt a fire in her stomach she had never felt before. Determination was burned as fuel to power her confidence.

"You are not Dan, correct?"

It smirked.

"Seems like I underestimated your capabilities. I suppose introductions are due? The name's Kendrick, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"What happened to the real Dan?"

"No clue to be honest. I died and the next thing I knew I was controlling Dan's body."

"..."

"Yeah, figured you're not pleased with that..."

Ruri closes her eyes and takes a deep breath to steady herself. Now is not the time to be hostile. She needs Kendrick to help her. She can find a way to return Dan later.

"Will you help me?"

"Of course! that was my plan from the start. Oh but I'll still take that offer for the apple fritters. Throw in some bottles of alcohol too."

Relief washed over the princess. The fire died out and she felt a little exhausted.

"D-deal."

Just then a huge procession of servants streamed into the banquet hall. They rolled in a table with a large goblet. It was once a stained glass cup, but now it was more gold than colored glass. This goblet would be the vessel that would deliver the mythical Lilac to the princess's lips. The king addresses his daughter,

"My daughter, this is my gift to you please-"

The room is swallowed whole by a black void. Panic spreads across the room. Ruri looks towards Kendrick and can tell he is completely calm. This was expected. He speaks to her,

"Look at the big cup."

Ruri strains her eyes and barely makes out some movement near the cup. She couldn't tell what was moving or what they were doing, but she can put two and two together. If Kendrick didn't point it out she wouldn't have noticed it. 

"I-I see what you mean. What a waste of money... "

He just lets out a light chuckle. Meanwhile, the king finally gets a grip and bellows out,

"JULIUS!"

With just their name called a royal guard walks foward. A luminous lizard lithely slithers out of their pocket. Power gathers at its leaf shaped tail and it starts to glow. The light counteracts the lunar skill used to darken the room. The two energies duel resulting in the defeat of them both. The room returns to its original brightness. Not brighter nor darker.

"GUARDS! FIND THE CULPRIT WHO ATTEMPTED TO RUIN MY DAUGHTER'S PARTY!"

The guards scramble around in search of clues. The search goes on for over an hour, but turns up inconclusive. A frightened squire reports as such to the upset king.

"Very well. We shall not let this end our festivities. Ruri, my beloved daughter, please drink of the this Lilac I had prepared for you."

Ruri stands up. Kendrick whispers,

"Showtime!"

Her legs wobble a little as she walks to her father. She looks into the goblet. The liquid is a calming light shade of violet. No one would expect it to have been spiked. All eyes are on her. Some nobles have a displeased look on their face. Likely not a part of the conspiracy, but not friends either. Many wear smiles. These are harder to parse. Enemies in on the conspiracy or friends who know nothing? She looks to Silvia Frost; her face has returned to stone. She takes a glimpse of the Viscount. His smile is more obvious. She looks to her siblings. Why do their smiles look like Anwir's? Her instincts run wild.

"Go on honey drink it!"

"U-um f-father..."

"Is something wrong honey?"

"I-i think we should maybe c-call off the f-f-festivities..."

"""""Huh?!"""""

A collective gasp spreads across the room! Why would the princess want to cancel her own birthday party?! Ruri's younger sister Vanessa runs up to her,

"Why would we do that? Is the blackout perhaps worrying you? Don't worry, I'm sure the royal guards will find the culprit! Ignore that and just enjoy the party."

"..."

Why was SHE the first one to try and convince her otherwise?

"Hmm, I understand your concern, but I think your sister is right here my daughter. If you're feeling weary we can end the banquet after you drink the Lilac."

"N-no I don't really think I s-should drink what's in that cup..."

A cold gleam briefly graces Vanessa's eyes before vanishing. She uses a spoon to scoop up some of the liquid and approaches Ruri.

"Nonsense! This drink will make you really strong! Here open wide~♡."

Bad bad bad! She was resorting to force. Ruri took a step back, but bumped into an armor stand. It held steady.

"Come on now! It won't taste like medicine you know?"

While the crowd was focused on the two princesses, someone got out of their seat. A hand swatted away at the spoon spilling its tainted payload across the expensive carpet. Relief washed over Ruri. Dan- no Kendrick, had stepped in.

"Wha-"

Confusion, turns to calculation, turns to anger on Vanessa's face. Guards immediately pinned Kendrick to the ground. The Viscount had grabbed Annalissa and left the scene as soon as Kendrick stood up.

"Sir Alastair, even if you are queen's consort, assaulting royalty is punishable by death. Explain yourself!"

Kendrick looked up, a shit eating grin spanned ear to ear.

"Don't drink the Lilac! its poisoned!"

Kendrick's warning brings the king out of his stupor. His face grows grim. Panic briefly appeared in Vanessa's eyes, but was quickly suppressed. The rest of the banquet is in chaos!

"Guards test the Lilac! As for you, Boy, Are you willing to bet your life on that claim?"

"I am. I'd even willingly sacrifice myself and drink the poison if it was to protect the princess!"

The king raises his hand.

"Stop the test."

The guards while confused, listen to the order. The king calmly walks over to the spoon that was knocked away and picks it up. With a smile he walks over to the large goblet and scoops up some violet nectar.

"Well then, shall we test that theory in praxis, traitorous curr?"

"Wait don't-!"

Vanessa holds her sister back. Kendrick gulps then opens his mouth,

"If that would prove my loyalty, then so be it!"

The spoon goes into Kendrick's mouth.

Alright time for the very first monster facts! This one is on the Luminous Lizard that briefly appeared in this chapter

1. The first of the Luminous Lizard's upgrade trees is about healing and attacking using sol energy, the second is about unlocking optional secrets in the over-world(think like HMs from pokemon, but they unlock extra chests instead of needing them to progress.), and the secret tree is about countering enemy attacks.

2. At high levels of the second tree, the Luminous lizard will gain a 10% chance to find a random consumable item every 50 steps you take. This skill has a 0.01 percent chance to find a permanent stats up item.

3. Luminous Lizards have strong noses. Julius has his lizard sniff out illegal drugs when searching people.

4. Luminous Lizards are capable of photosynthesis, but that energy alone  isn't enough to keep them alive so they still need to eat. They're kinda like a predatory plant in that way.

5. Luminous Lizards can be found in many early game areas, making them a staple monster in most player's initial playthroughs.

6. Luminous lizards, like most reptiles like to sunbathe. In fact finding three special sunbathing spots is how you unlock their third upgrade tree!

7. Having a Luminous Lizard is not required to become a royal guard. The royal guard takes in any tamer with a strong moral character and great skill, regardless of monster they attune to.


0