Chapter 22: Scouted
254 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, I arrived at the Stadium at around eleven as Ren. After yesterday's events, everyone seemed to fear me.  Every step I took, the surrounding people would either step out of my way or gossip about me. Some even went pale just looking at me in the eyes.

"Look, it's him." A female fighter gossips.

"The Reaper." Another female fighter gasps.

"What's so good about him? He only won first in the battle royale." A buff male fighter scoffs.

Another male fighter standing next to him elbows him in the stomach.

"You idiot were you even watching yesterday? He left not even one fighter alive and decapitated all of them with one swift swing of his dagger."

"So scary," I heard another two fighters whisper.

"I just felt my life flash before my eyes, dude." Some others mumbled while shivering.

I did not know whether to laugh or cry. I didn't know my massacre from yesterday would cause such an effect on both the fighters and spectators in the Stadium. After all, it was normal for massacres to occur in the Stadium so why is mine any different? Thanks to that, every person feared me and not one dared to look at me straight in the eyes as they were afraid they might end up dead if they did so. Honestly, I would do that to keep up my "Ren" facade but by Stadium rules, no one was allowed to kill other than inside the arena. If one broke Stadium rules, the consequences would be harsh. Last time a reckless fighter broke this rule, a Purple-Gold Ranked Assassin dropped from the ceiling and killed him instead. That Purple-Gold Ranked Assassin was the Stadium's Enforcer, Marcus. Of course, that wasn't his real name but just this name alone would send chills down every fighters' back.

The number of Purple-Gold Ranked Adventurers in the world had not even exceeded five thousand meaning for every five million inhabitants, only one would have the talent to become a Purple-Gold Ranked. When one became a Purple-Gold Ranked Adventurer, the Church cannot bind them to the laws and thus, they are free to do whatever they want. However, if a Purple-Gold goes rogue, the Church will get involved and a bounty would be set up in the Adventurer's Guild. If one could complete the bounty, the Church will award them with a medal of honor which exempts them from taxes and other government-related fees or tariffs. It was basically a pipe dream for ordinary Adventurers but it's still possible to accomplish, however, the chances are very slim.

To me, those didn't matter. What mattered most was completing this [Hundred Quests] list which was over halfway complete. Thanks to completing Guild Quests at an astonishing speed, my rank had risen to the two thousands within Iron Rank which is about the halfway point. Additionally, there were a few skills I gained when I completed them and I've decided to master one today.

Once again, I left Hatsu at home with my parents. I was worried at first that he might be bored to death but apparently he seemed to enjoy my parent's company, especially my mother's food. But that was not the reason why. If I brought Hatsu along, I would fail the Quest and my identity would be exposed as a white wolf cub would stand out a lot in a crowd like this.

Heading over to the reception counter, I approach the same silent receptionist as yesterday. She gives me the stink eye before she holds out her hand. She wanted my Stadium ID card.  I hand her my Stadium ID card which she inserts into a scanner. As I wait, I sense the presence of three fighters behind me. Judging from their aura and mana flow, I could identify one of them as an assassin, the one to his left as a close combat mage, and the last one as a bard. What surprised me was the bard. I was unfamiliar with the bard class compared to the other two but from what I know, Bards are a branch of mages that utilizes songs for combat. These songs can enhance the bard and the bard's allies or debuff enemies. So in short, bards are basically a support class. On top of that, in order to become a bard, one has to go through double the years of training that a healer needs to become certified.

The receptionist places remove the card from the scanner and gestures to a waiting room at the hall. Handing me my card, I swiftly make my way to the waiting room. Of course, those three fighters followed behind me at a distance. Smirking under my mask I pick up the pace, my strides growing larger. 

You want to play? Then try and keep up!

"Dammit," I heard the assassin curse, "why is he so fast?"

Letting out a small laugh, I make an abrupt right turn around the corner, and suddenly, something, someone, bumps into me.

"Ow." I heard a female voice.

"Watch where you going -" I hissed until I realized who I bumped into. It was Eren and accompanying her were two burly bodyguards. Each towering over my small stature like mountains. Then there was Eren, wearing her Savior's attire which consisted of silver-plated armor covering her arms and her legs, a knee-length dress, and a belt with her sword in its hilt and a few items in their respective pouches.

With no time to apologize, I swiftly jumped over the two bodyguards, twirling my body in midair like an acrobat, landing gracefully on the balls of my feet.

"Hey!" I hear Eren shout from behind.

With no time to pay attention to her, I spared not even a second and made a mad dash for the waiting room, dodging as many people as I could. Meanwhile, the assassin and his group seemed to have stopped pursuing me as they slowly backed away from Eren's intimidating Gold Ranked guards. Slowing down a little, I return to my normal walking speed until I feel a hand latch onto my wrist. Once again, it was Eren. Nearly scaring me to death, I wondered:

How the heck did she catch up already?

"You're not going anywhere, you damn Reaper?" She smirked as I attempt to break away from her grasp. Despite her slender and dainty looking build, there was a lot of strength hidden with her body. Dang, she's strong. That's Savior fo you, I guess...

"What do you want?" I spat at her with no time to deal with whatever business she had.

Placing her hands on her hips she fiercely thrusts a finger at me, "First, I want an apology."

I jerk my wrist out of her hand then fold my arms. 

"Sorry," I say in an exasperated tone before spinning on my heel, "if you excuse me, I've got to be somewhere-"

Interrupting me she continues, firmly gripping on to my wrist for the second time.

"Second, I want to recruit you."

Jerking my wrist from her grasp, again, I snarl at her with annoyance.

"Not interested." I had more important things to do. Plus, even if I did 'join' my identity would be revealed and I would fail the mission. Suddenly, the Hero Game System sent out a notification.

[Notice: Due to certain circumstances, the System will issue an emergency Quest]

[Quest: Join the Savior's Adventurer Party as 'Ren' and protect Eren Mandell. The duration is one month.]

[Rewards: Disguise Prop [Magician Outfit], Skill: [Seven Twists of Chen], Eren's 'Awakening']

[Penalty: Lose 5 levels and 150 Stat Points. Eren's death] 

Well, now it seems like I don't have a choice and since when did the System have a [Penalty] function!

I'm back from my hiatus! Short chapter this time but the next few chapters will be longer. Stay tuned.

2