Ch. 38 Calmness
47 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The destroyed town, Lyon.

Beside it, the Vimana descends and everyone disembarks.

"This is Lyon."

The former prosperity is now but a shadow, and the former bustle is nowhere to be found.

What remains is only silence and the stench of death—

"...They really devoured everything."

My chest hurts.

There shouldn't have been anything worthless within lost lives.

In every lost life, there should have been the potential for something wonderful tomorrow.

—To the fact that many lives, worth far more than my own, had been extinguished... I couldn't help but feel an immense pain.

"Well, there's no use in looking down. If you want to repay this sacrifice, strive forward. Are you here for the dragon slayer?"

—Exactly.

Let's move forward. To go beyond the lives that were lost.

"Yeah, let's split up and search!"

"Understood, it's a competition then! Amadeus and I will head west."

"Then we'll go east. Please take care, both of you."

"Musician, protect the queen with all your might."

"I know. After all, we started this journey as a pair. Leave it to me."

"Now, shall we go?"

...

...

"Roman, Roman!... Huh, that's strange."

I see the Master trying to contact Roman multiple times.

"What's wrong, Master?"

"Yeah, for some reason, I can't get through to Roman on the communication. I wonder what's going on."

"Could it be a malfunction in the communication device... He might be pessimistic, but he's diligent. Neglecting his duties is unlikely."

—This is the first time I can't hear the voices of Olga Marie and Roman from the navigation. A slight unease crosses my mind.

"Well, for now, he's probably caught up with something. If we leave it be, he'll figure it out eventually. More importantly, we have our own tasks to fulfill."

"Yes. Senpai, please be careful of debris and such."

"Thanks, Gil, Mash."

"...This place was supposed to be a beautiful city once."

Jeanne mutters almost like a groan.

...The sensation of seeing familiar scenery burn down is beyond imagination. I can't understand Jeanne's feelings in my heart, and it frustrates me.

"Why did the Dragon Witch..."

"That isn't you."

The vessel speaks.

"There are decisively different aspects. There are things in you that aren't in her."

"...Things in me that aren't in the witch..."

"Indeed. Without those, you're merely an imitation using your framework."

"What is... that exactly?"

"Well, now. She probably doesn't know the softness of straw."

"Straw...?"

...The vessel's speech is distant, vast. It's quite a challenge to grasp its true meaning.

But there's one thing for sure. Not getting to the core of it means... I'm supposed to figure it out on my own.

"Gil likes riddles, doesn't he?"

"The mundane can barely get their insufficient brains working. Fufufu."

"...For now, let's just pray for the peace of the lost souls here."

Jeanne joins her hands in prayer.

—However, a voice that obstructs that comes forth.

"Peace, peace. There's no more of that, only the relentless agony of eternal hell."

A voice with a singing resonance.

"Servant...!"

Mash and Jeanne shield the Master.

Enormous otherworldly claws, tattered cloth-like rags.

A mask that covers half of the face—a peculiarly dressed man.

"Oh, a type of vengeful spirit."

"My True Name is Phantom of the Opera... A Servant who recites regrets, sings of sorrow, and performs the opera of despair..."

...

"A melancholic song, unworthy of listening. It's bad for the education of the Master and Mash. —Vanish swiftly. It might be deemed disrespectful."

Immediately, he selects his treasures. An opera... an opera... Is it the opera of that song?

What is the weakness? Let's try to choose a weapon that can purge his demonic nature.

The fingers of the vessel tense slightly. It's the signal to deploy a ripple.

"Sorrow does not fade, lamentation does not wane, despair does not vanish. Therefore, I sing, I sing, I sing. As I wish. As I desire."

In an instant, the moment transitions to battle.

(Master, Master!)

(Okita-san?)

(Yes, it's Okita-san! I'm starting to want some action now... What do you think? Is it not possible?)

(Well, um... Can you go all out immediately?)

(Of course, yes! The Shinsengumi is always ready for battle! Once we leave the barracks, it's a fight to the death. When we leave Chaldea, it's an all-out brawl!)

(Understood, then come out at my signal.)

(Alright! Behold the swordplay of Okita-san!)

"Master, get ready—"

—It happened in an instant.

"Form Change! 'Combat Attire'!"

Using a ring, the costume changes in an instant.

"Senpai!?"

"Gandr!"

Directing a directional curse from his fingertip.

Don't underestimate basic magecraft, that power should cover all of Chaldea's magical resources.

This enormous release will surely strip the Servants of their freedom—!

"Gah—!!"

"Ho..."

"Come, 'Okita-san'!"

Is it faster to call or faster to jump?

"—A step beyond sound."

In an instant, the Saber in cherry blossom hakama closes the distance.

"—Two steps uninterrupted."

With footwork like a warp, she reaches the brink of death in a blink.

"—Three steps severing sword—"

Drawing her sword—

"—'Mumyou: Sandanzuki'!"

Releasing a "Triple Thrust of No Ignorance" at exactly the same timing—into Phantom chest!

"Gaah—!!!"

He spraying fresh blood, and splattering blood droplets.

Phantom, who was pierced through the chest three times, collapsed unceremoniously.

"—Singing songs on the battlefield, what a foolish act. You were saved by your stupidity. It's like asking to be cut down."

*Chin* Okita Souji sheathes her sword.

"Well, with that said, yay! Chaldea's Okita's first victory! Did you see that, Master? Everyone!"

"You, an Assassin... A splendid surprise attack. I've heard that island nation ninjas only allow surprise attacks once, but..."

"Eh!? Saber! It was Saber! Did you see my thrust just now!?"

"Well, um... That was so far out of my awareness..."

"I'm sorry, I didn't notice you..."

"Gaaah!! And it was the first job for Chaldea's Saber too! No way!"

"Indeed, Chaldea has a splendid Saber... Can you hear me, Saber? It's you, Saber..."

—Perfectly timed instantaneous movement, three strikes released simultaneously...

It's understandable that Assassin and the vessel say that. That thing is not a sword or anything. It's something... completely different.

Okita Souji, the strongest swordsman of the Shinsengumi...

Did such a nonsensical person really exist in Japan, the island nation...

"Good job, Okita-san. You can go back now."

"Huh!? It's already over!? That's not fair! Jeanne-san, Hercules-san, and Cat-san had such great scenes, right? I don't like it!"

Complaining, Okita exits.

"—Did he die?"

"I'm sure he's dead."

"Alright, then let's confirm his death, he who died in such a disgraceful manner."

Bump, she thrust her foot into the head of the fallen servant.

"Are you alive? Do you still have the spirit to sing, vengeful spirit?"

"—Coming."

"Hm?"

"They're coming, coming—coming."

Muttering to himself, something like an opera.

"What is coming? Specify the subject, damn it."

"Witches, witches. Witches who emerge from the saint, not from the saint."

"—They're coming. Evil is coming!"

...

"Evil-...?"

Before I can ask what, a voice rang in my ears/

"'Romani, have been restored!? Can you hear us!? Everyone!'"

"Director!"

"'Yes! Everyone, please run from there!'"

"Why are you panicking? What happened?"

"'They're coming! They're coming!'"

"'They're coming! An ultra-massive life reaction that surpasses Servants—!! Dragons are coming!!'"

—I see.

"—The reason for the panic is that, huh?"

"Surpassing Servants...!? Is that even possible!?"

"'That's right! Dragons are the pinnacle of Phantasmal Species! Even Servants are smaller than them!'"

"'This is bad—! It won't end well if we collide with them!'"

"Oh, here you are!"

Marie and the others arrive. They seem to have sensed the abnormality and rushed over.

"'Everyone, retreat! We can't be sure about Gilgamesh's defense, and your king's protection might not be enough. If you get hit first—!'"

"It's not that I'm not assigning him, but... well, what should we do? Run away with no results, empty-handed?"

"That's—!"

"If we run now, we won't know when they'll come back—! Besides, if we keep running without a solution, eventually..."

—That's right. We'll be cornered. We'll be at our wits' end.

"Indeed. He won't let you escape. He brought a somewhat better species, it's clear he's taken some care."

"So, what should we do...?"

—It's already decided.

There's no need to think about the answer here.

"—I will attract the attention of the dragon. You all, pick up the dragon slayer."

"Eh!?"

"King of Heroes—!?"

"'What reckless thing are you doing! They're dragons! No matter how much you're extraordinary, don't do something like that!'"

"Fool. What have you seen of me? If you're serious about defeating them, it's a trivial matter to buy time."

—That's right. I was prepared the moment I came here.

"The task of a dragon slayer doesn't befit a king. If I waste my fortune needlessly on subduing a dragon that won't sink, then I might as well give it up."

—The selection of the dragon slayer's Noble Phantasm is complete. Among them, of course, there are defensive Noble Phantasms as well.

No problem. I can buy time. If it's me—Gilgamesh, the King of Heroes.

"A king has a king's duty, a cook has a cook's duty, and a dragon slayer has a dragon slayer's duty. Go."

So please, go. I want to entrust this to myself.

"I'll discipline the dragon a bit. Make sure to get the treasures you're after."

"But..."

"Let's go, everyone!"

"'Ritsuka-kun!?'"

Master takes the lead.

"If the king says so, then there's no doubt! Let's do what we have to do! ...Isn't that right, Gil?"

—Master's eyes glisten with tears.

...I can tell her suppressing her anxiety. The responsibility of making a decision that would lead to a life-threatening situation.

"Hahaha! That's good. It's the king's words. Believe in them."

"—Understood. Please stay safe, King of Heroes!"

"Don't die!"

"Gorgeous-sama! We'll definitely...!"

"'Everyone! There's a faint Servant reaction ahead! Dragon Slayer should be there!'"

"...I apologize for my rudeness. You're quite a remarkable king."

"I will definitely come back—!"

The group rushes away.

—This is fine.

If there's an absolute deathtrap, I'll be the one to face it first.

I won't let everyone die needlessly. I won't accept an unjust death.

Definitely—I will guide everyone to the end of this journey.

For the sake of doing something—against the fate of death.

"—So you've come all this way. Are you alone?"

The witch speaks from atop the monstrously huge evil dragon.

"Yeah, that's right. I also take walks sometimes."

"—I see. I see... You're underestimating me so much! Do you think you can win against this Fafnir!?"

"It's only natural."

Equipped with dragon-slaying weaponry, full mobilization. Cannons deployed—350 cannons.

"I am Gorgeous, Gilgamesh. —The oldest King of Heroes in human history. I've grown tired of lizards like that."

—Everyone, this is the vessel.

"—Shall I test it? I will reveal the true value of my treasure to the fullest extent of that monstrous body—!!"

—The nameless me has accepted it—!!

***

You can indulge in more than 10 chapters ahead of the regular schedule by visiting our Patreon page and subscribing.

Feel free to explore our Patreon at:

https://www.pat reon.com/KangTL

 

Your support will enhance our productivity in creating more captivating and wonderful works.

3