The Gut
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’m glad you two were able to catch up last night,” Adrian said, yawning as he, Pepin, Emelri, and Lula walked down the bustling streets of Trivulon, “even if it meant sacrificing some sleep.”

Lula rubbed the back of her head. “Yeah… sorry, you two.”

Pepin shook his head reassuringly to show it was fine as he rubbed at his eyes which had dark bags under them.

“Lula and I had a lot to catch up on!” Emelri insisted, a spring in her step as she walked. “We couldn’t help it!”

“Oh, Emi, that reminds me. You still have my hair ribbon.”

“Huh? Oh right! Let me get it back to you.” She dug through the bag over her shoulder as they continued down the street. The sun hadn’t even risen yet, and the air was slightly chilly. She shivered slightly as she spotted the hair ribbon and pulled it out. “Here it is—”

“Hey, what’s that?” Lula leaned over her shoulder to look inside. “Aw, that’s so cute! Where did you get it?” Her fingers came into contact with the carved bird made of wood, and Emelri whipped the bag out of her reach before Lula could get a good grasp on it; pure horror now on her face.

“Don’t touch! It’s private!”

Lula blinked. “It is? Where did you get it?”

“What is it?” Pepin asked in his soft tone behind them, and Emelri’s face flushed.

“Nothing!” She thrust the ribbon into her friend’s hand. “Anyway, how much further until we reach the hillside?”

Lula looked between her and the young man curiously. “Oh, not far.” Then an evil grin appeared. “Emi, Emi...”

“What?” she said defensively, closing the bag up and gripping it in both hands like it contained stolen jewels. “Not a word, Lula, or you’ll see exactly why I carry a giant axe on my back.”

She put a hand to her mouth to stifle a giggle. “I didn’t say anything.”

“That shop,” came Pepin’s voice, and the two women turned to see him pointing at something. “That’s where they make—” He cleared his throat when he realized they were both listening quietly to him. “Um, nevermind.”

Emelri looked over to where he’d been pointing, spotting a little building with different ink designs displayed on a board right outside.

“The Navleni parlor?” Lula offered.

“That’s ‘flower stain’ in Venish, right?” he whispered in his native tongue, and Emelri gave a short nod, unsure why this was what he’d decided to point out. He switched back into ancient Elden. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to bring it up.”

“Why are you sorry?” Lula exclaimed, moving so he now walked between both women. “It’s not a thing in Elderian, is it?” 

“What is? What’s Navleni?” Adrian chimed in, and Emelri wanted to pass away.

“It’s a tattoo,” she explained cheerily, “made by staining the skin with different plants and then drawing over it with ink. They are meant to be private. They’re like a personal marker.”

Adrian looked intrigued. “Only women have them?”

“No. Everyone gets one somewhere that’ll never be seen in public when they turn twelve. It’s a part of transitioning from child to adult.”

“Oh, I see. May I ask why they are so private?”

Emelri gripped her arm with the other, her nails sinking into the flesh.

Lula nodded kindly. “When a couple consummates their partnership, they reveal to each other their marks. You’re not to show it to anyone else. Not your parents or siblings or friends. Anyone. There’s a reason public bathing isn’t a thing in Alchemist culture.”

Though Pepin did not respond, his face turned bright red, and Emelri’s cheeks must have been a similar color by the way they heated up.

“Oh, stop making that face, Emi,” her friend said, lightly thwacking her on the arm. “Everyone here is an adult. Sharing an intimate side of yourself with someone important can be very healing and wonderful, and the Navleni only solidifies that. I mean, that’s a side of you no one else gets to see. It’s pretty romantic when you think about it.”

“Yeah, well, maybe I don’t really want to talk about this around my father.” Or Pepin for that matter, she added in her head.

“Oh.” She chuckled. “Well, they didn’t know what it was and now they do, so at least we’re fighting ignorance, right?”

She groaned. “Just,” she turned to the men, “don’t ask anyone here about it or bring it up in conversation, because that would be extremely inappropriate and just plain awkward.”

“We understand,” Adrian said. “Thank you for enlightening us, Lula.” He gave a polite bow of the head.

“You’re welcome! I really don’t mind questions of any nature. I’m equally curious about Elderian culture. Emi told me a bit about the strict water laws in Venwick last night. Is water really that hard to come by?”

“It’s awful there,” Adrian began, and the conversation thankfully drifted elsewhere, though Emelri was still stuck on the previous one.

Why did that of all things have to come up again? As if she needed any reminders of how insecure and broken she’d been feeling lately. A familiar woman’s voice sitting at the back of her consciousness made itself known. 

If Pepin ever saw your full Navleni, he’d laugh.

She bit her lip, a memory hitting her over the head.

All those years ago, she hadn’t meant for it to happen. Hadn’t meant to reveal her secret mark. She’d been changing in her room when her mother had walked in on her.

I couldn’t help but notice... the mark, Daldi had said to her later. You know, I think it’s beautiful, in a tragic sort of way. This is good. Now you can just focus on your studies since no man would ever want someone who looks like that underneath.

“Shut the fuck up,” she whispered aloud.

“What’s that, Emi?” Lula asked, looking over at her.

“Huh?” Coming back to reality, her face flushed slightly. “Nothing! We should pick up the pace. It’s starting to get hot.”

 

❀❀❀

 

The group of four came to see that the hillside was indeed littered with several traps. Emelri stared at the metal contraptions all connected with long cables that gathered somewhere at the top of the hill.

“Um,” she said loudly, “I thought you said we wouldn’t have to walk through all his traps if we came at the crack of dawn, Lula.”

“Don’t worry! They’re all inactive during the day.”

“How can you tell?” Adrian asked.

“They’d be glowing if that weren’t the case. I’ve seen them go off before. Nasty, sparking things. Animals and people get electrocuted all the time during the night, but Old Man Yll being Old Man Yll, he uses the victims for his dinner. Not the humans, of course—not that anyone has died from his traps before… Anyway, we’re fine to walk around them.”

The four made their way up the winding dirt path with more caution and albeit, anxiety now. It was a steep hill, and Emelri huffed and puffed as they ascended, barely able to see the house at the top. 

By the time they reached the summit, they were all winded except Lula.

Looking around, Emelri spotted a small hut surrounded by wooden stakes and other wired contraptions that coated the outside like a spiderweb. All the cables from the traps below filed into a complex-looking metal box with a glowing green gem inside it.

“Is that an energy crystal?” Adrian asked, approaching the device and reaching his hand out.

There was a flash of green light that made them all jump, and a hooded figure appeared as if from nowhere. The person wore a long dark hood that covered their face, and they wasted no time in smacking Adrian’s hand away from the device harshly.

“Paws off, blue eyes,” an older man’s voice rang out gruffly. “Have you no manners?”

This statement was obviously a shock for the former king to hear as he looked initially dumbfounded then offended. “Beg your pardon?” He shook himself slightly. “Are you Old Man Yll?” 

“Who’s asking? I don’t like suspicious folk stalking around my place.”

“Please,” he said calmly, “we just wanted to ask you some quick questions about a Spiller and—”

“Spiller?” The old man turned his head left then right. “What is this? You’re trying to set me up? You have people in the shadows waiting to take me? Well, I’ll have you know I won’t stand for it!” Pulling out a long wooden stick that had previously been strapped to his back, he whipped it out and pointed it at the blond.

“Woah! Nothing like that—”

“If you think I’ll tell you one damned thing—oh?” Lowering the weapon, he cocked his head from one side to the other, then, “Hold on now.” Taking a long breath then exhaling, his head shot to Pepin who visibly flinched in response. “You.” Marching forward and getting right into the shrinking young man’s face, he glared down at him.

“Y-yes, Sir?” Pepin squeaked.

His eyes narrowed, then he threw the hood off his face and smiled widely. “I’d recognize a magic user anywhere.” The old man had large, misshapen glasses on, long white hair, tawny brown skin, and a crooked nose that looked like it’d been broken a few times. “Why didn’t you step forward earlier, Lad!” Pepin stood frozen in terror and confusion as he was roughly patted on the back. “You’re quite a powerful user too. I can sense that now.”

“Oh.” He blinked back at him. “Well, I can also sense you’re a user, now that I think about it.”

“Ah, but I am not a user to be revered. My powers are quite weak compared to yours. Say, why don’t you come in for a cup of tea and we can have a nice chat?”

“We’d be delighted,” Adrian began with a smile when the stick was pointed in his face again.

“Oh, no you don’t, Spiller spy! If you don’t leave this instant, I’m blowing you off the mountain side!”

“H-he’s my father, Mr. Yll,” Pepin said quickly. “Can’t he be invited too?”

“No Mr. required. Old Man Yll is just fine, and I don’t take kindly to non-users—oh, hey, Lula. Nice to see you, Neighbor.” His disposition shifted so dramatically from threatened to friendly, it left Emelri reeling.

“Hi Oldie Yll,” Lula said casually, waving a hand.

“Anyway,” he said darkly, looking back at Adrian. “If you don’t leave—”

“Wait, Lula isn’t a magic user either,” Adrian pointed out, folding his arms.

“Yes, well,” he looked to the side, “her mother brings me fish pie and it’s delicious. How can I turn away fish pie, eh?”

“And my daughter, Emi? Is she suspicious?”

Eyes shifted over to the white-haired woman, then he shrugged. “Doesn’t seem a threat.”

“She’s carrying a battle axe.”

Hmpf! I don’t have to defend myself to you, blue eyes.”

“Oldie,” Lula cut in, “could you just answer a couple of their questions? Duje has a fresh batch of pies in the oven as we speak. Be a shame if we skipped your house this week...”

He gasped. “You wouldn’t!” He put the stick away, his hands now out in front of him. “I’ll answer anything they want, just don’t forget my pie. I’m begging you!”

“Aw, don’t worry! My mother could never be so heartless,” she said peachily. “We always save the smelliest fish for you.”

He sniffed. “That is so thoughtful... Alright. Ask away then.” He sat primly on a nearby boulder with a patient smile on his face.

Emelri looked from this eccentric man to Lula who just gave an enthusiastic nod and a smile.

“Well,” Adrian began, “we were wondering if you could tell us—”

“Uh, uh,” Old Man Yll wagged his finger while closing his eyes impatiently. “I only answer to the magic user.” 

His eyebrows furrowed, his nose crinkling in vexation. “Are you serious—”

“Nuh uh!”

“Fine.” Groaning, he turned to his son, lowering his voice as he said, “You don’t have to if you don’t want to, Pep.”

The young man shook his head, then took a step towards the old man.

As soon as Old Man Yll’s eyes were on him, Pepin glanced away, rubbing the back of his arm awkwardly. “Well, um, we were wondering if you knew someone named Carnadine and where she might be.”

“Carnadine?” He perked up at the name. “Vicious son of a bitch that one. She’s been taking residence in Fevlin, brewing up chaos with the Spillers.” Emelri’s eyes widened. “Wants them to make her their leader. Says she can get them Teptrite if they follow her. Can’t have her ruining our way of life here in Yayma though. No way. I’d go over there myself if my powers were up to par.” He hoisted his pants up over his waist as some kind of show of intimidation. “I’d show her a thing or two.”

“Fevlin?” Adrian asked, and he was shot a look that made Emelri place a placating hand on his shoulder.

“Fevlin?” Pepin repeated, and the old man nodded with a smile.

“It’s several towns north of here. Better to stay far away from that place unless you have some kind of death wish.”

“You’re certain that’s where she is, a-and she really has Teptrite?”

“That’s what my sources tell me. Now then, anything else you wanted to ask me?”

Pepin glanced at the others who paused for a moment to consider before shaking their heads. 

“That’s all the information we needed, Pep,” Adrian said. “We should head out.”

He nodded, then hesitated, then opened his mouth and closed it. Turning back, his posture was slightly more subdued as he quietly said his next words.

“Um, I do have a question, actually.” 

“Ask away!” Old Man Yll exclaimed.

He picked at his nails. “You teleported earlier. Could you... tell me how you did that?”

“Teleport? What’s this? You don’t know how?”

He shook his head.

“A user this powerful who can’t make jumps?” He clicked his tongue, and Pepin sunk further into himself. “Well, it comes from the gut.” He pointed to his stomach. “You must never look too far ahead but instead imagine your destination, and then, while you’re ‘in passing’ as they say, you pick through your surroundings until you find the location you desire. You decide what state you want to appear in once the jump has terminated.”

“In passing? Wait, you do all that in a split second?”

“No and yes! It is all happening in a split second, but for the magic user, time is,” he wiggled his hands above his head as if this explained anything, “and you can sort through everything before it goes back to normal.”

“That’s... so complicated.”

“It’s simple once you get the hang of it.” There was a flash of light, then the man was gone, reappearing behind Pepin. “Dropped something?” He held up a handful of fabric and Pepin’s eyes shot down to his waist where his sash was no longer tied.

“How did you—”

“There are many decisions you can make while in passing.”

His jaw dropped. “But then, how do you start? How do you actually teleport? That’s the part I can’t figure out.”

He smacked his stomach roughly. “The gut! Let go and let this guy do all the work. That’s my advice with all magic usage.”

“But... that’s not how I was taught magic.” He looked down. “There has to be another way to explain it. A more technical way.”

“Nope,” he said flatly. “Just the gut. That’s all there is to it. Was that the end of your questions?”

Pepin inhaled, then let out a small sigh before nodding defeatedly.

“Great, now shoo.” He made a little swishing gesture with both hands. “Oh, and I’ll be watching you very closely, Blondie.” He glared at Adrian who made a face in response. “Tell Duje to put the pie in my mailbox as per usual, Lula,” he added sweetly, exchanging a smile with her before screaming, “THE GUT,” then he teleported away in a flash.

“How did he—” Pepin began, looking down to see his sash had been returned to its previous position around his waist.

“The gut, I guess,” Emelri said, and he turned on her with a look almost as flustered as Adrian’s. “I’m kidding!” She gave a small laugh but only Lula reciprocated it while the two men fumed the rest of the way down the hill.

0