At Its Height
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a flash of light, Pepin appeared in front of Emelri, Adrian, and Bibi who all flinched in response.

“Hey, you’re getting better,” she exclaimed, “and this time you didn’t even land on your ass.” His face fell, and she laughed. “I’m just giving you a hard time. Can you see the passing yet?”

A grin spread over his face. There was another flash of light, and he was gone. She jumped out of her skin when he materialized in front of her again with Broyeur grasped in his hands. “Drop something?”

“What the—” She felt her back for the weapon. “When did you... You figured it out already? How?”

He casually shrugged before handing Broyeur back to her. “The gut, I guess.”

“Can you teleport further? Wait, wait, can you teleport me?”

Something flashed across his face. “I don’t know, let’s try!” Taking her by the shoulders, he closed his eyes.

She was not prepared for the gut-wrenching sensation that overtook her as she and the magic user collapsed on the dirt path together a moment later. 

“You two okay?” Adrian called in the distance, and Emelri lifted herself up with one hand and turned to see her father clear down the road behind them.

“Yeah...” she responded, groaning. “Bruised my hip probably but other than that—”

“Emi, are you okay?” Pepin’s voice sounded beside her. “Are you hurt?”

“That was amazing, Pep! And yes, I’m perfectly—” Her words caught in her throat when she looked up to see his face a breath away from her own. Part of her also registered the hand on her waist where he must have tried to catch her after the jump. 

“Uh, good,” he squeaked, standing quickly and offering his hand. “Do you want to try again?”

She took it and was lifted to her feet. “Maybe when my stomach settles first. Actually, maybe you can volunteer Adrian next. I’m not the biggest fan of how that made me feel.”

“What are you trying to force me into?” the blond called out, coming up with the donkey.

“Adrian, did you see that?” Pepin asked excitedly. “I finally understand the superspeed and a bit of how the jumping works, though, long distances are still something I struggle with...”

“Yes, I did! It was very impressive. You’re making great progress.” He patted him on the back. “You’re very confident today. Did something happen?”

“Hm? You’re right, I do feel good today.” He put both arms behind his head and grinned easily as they continued down the path again.

“You two stayed up pretty late,” Adrian commented, and Emelri spotted what she could only describe as the probing ‘father look’ on his face. “Your light didn’t go out until pretty late.”

“If you know that, doesn’t that mean you also stayed up?”

He chuckled. “Well, you’re not wrong. I imagine all of us struggled sleeping after what happened in Altwost. Your new hair looks nice by the way.”

Her fingers went to the white locks. “Oh, thanks. Pep helped even it out.”

“I’m sure it feels much better under the heat.”

“Oh, it does. Shall we cut yours next?”

“No, no, no.” His voice was polite, but there was an acute anxiety to it. “I like it the way it is.”

“I was only kidding. We all know how much you love your long hair.”

Pepin nodded, adding, “I don’t know how you keep up with it though.”

“It’s not so bad after you get used—” Adrian’s words cut off. “Hey, that’s the Venwi flag, isn’t it?”

Emelri turned her head, spotting in the distance the blue, billowing fabric and the unmistakable golden rooster in a gap in the thick trees. “Yes. That must be Lorvima. Shit, my hair.” She hurriedly dug through her bag, pulling out a large scarf Lula had let her borrow. The men watched as she wrapped it around her head. Next, she handed Adrian a long ribbon; also from Lula.

“What is this for?”

“To tie up your hair with. Otherwise, you’ll be seen as an Alchemist, and we don’t want to draw attention to ourselves.”

“I see.” Taking the long thick strands in his hands, he pulled his hair up.

“Emi, won’t they notice your eyebrows are white?” Pepin asked, holding Bibi now.

“Oh. I hadn’t thought of that.”

“Here.” He handed her the reins before stooping down. She watched him rub reddish-brown dirt between his fingers before he straightened again. “This should work to darken them.”

“Oh, good idea!” She leaned forward, allowing him to step into her space.

Pepin shyly brought his hands to her face, cool fingers softly coating her eyebrows. After a moment he stepped back and nodded in approval.

“Does it look okay?”

The men examined her face.

“It does,” Adrian said. “You look like a redhead now. Are we ready to continue then?”

She nodded. “Let’s keep going. Remember to only speak Venwi. Even back in the Alchemist towns, Venwi Folk coming through were often suspicious of non-Venwi Folk.”

“We should ask around a bit. See if Toulou has been through already, and to get more detailed directions to Fevlin.”

“Yes, I think that’s a good idea.”

 

 

After passing the town’s entrance, the group weaved in and out of a sizeable crowd. The buildings on either side of the street were built of similar materials to the Alchemist towns though the architecture was completely different. The bases were laid with logs and there was no black glass in sight. The roads were tightly cobbled and paved, differing from the simple gravel paths they’d been using up to that point. 

Venwi Folk didn’t have a specific look, only that they looked like neither Alchemists nor Spillers. Their clothing as well as their physical appearances were very much a hodgepodge of Venwickin crossed with Andveltican and Nebrasian. 

Adrian looked around in slight surprise, saying in Venwi, “Without closer inspection, I’d think we were in a very humid Nebrasia right now.”

“I mean, Venwi Folk do have the same ancestors as you and Pep,” she said. “There’s bound to be similarities even with two hundred years separating you. Oh! I’m certain that’s where we can ask about Toulou.” She pointed to several stands set up on the side of the street. “Traders always hear things, and maybe we can browse a bit while we’re at it.”

Adrian nodded, letting her take the lead as the more proficient Venwi speaker.

“Excuse me,” she asked when they’d approached a stand full of what appeared to be antiques.

The little old white woman with gray hair behind the counter brightened at their presence. “Oh, lovely day, isn’t it? What can I get for you? Everything is half off right now, you know.”

“These are antiques?” Pepin asked before Emelri could begin her questioning. She turned to see him picking up a golden pocket watch.

“That’s a rare one. From Elderian before the Great Crossing. I’m charging eighty Diams for it.”

“That’s Nebrasian, Pep,” Adrian exclaimed, taking it from him and rubbing a thumb over the metal carvings. His accent was a bit odd and some Venish words mixed into his Venwi but he was still easily understood nonetheless. “It’s really over two hundred years old?”

“You have a good eye,” she complimented. “Who knows what they’re up to on the other side of the portal as we speak. I’m a bit of an Elderian enthusiast, you know. I go to great lengths to get Elderian artifacts, and I pay hefty prices for them too. Say, you aren’t an enthusiast as well, are you, Lass?”

Emelri stared. “Huh? Who me?”

“Your belt just screams pre-Great Crossing. It’s not entirely accurate, of course, since that stitching is all wrong, but it’s a good effort.”

“Oh.” She gave a nervous laugh. “Yeah. Guess I should have known that. Anyway, we had a question for you we’re hoping you could answer.”

“Of course. If it’s about the merchandise—”

“It’s not that. Have you seen or heard of a magic user coming through here? Would have been here today or yesterday.”

She sighed. “People have been talking nonstop about the user that came through here.”

“Wait, they have?”

“Apparently, a young woman—some kind of magic user protege—has been killing Spillers lately, causing a big disturbance. Things have been chaotic the last twenty-four hours with Spillers storming the place looking for her. I say, I just wish the Alchemists and Spillers would keep their politics out of our towns...”

“Can you describe what she looked like?” Pepin asked, leaning on the counter with a serious look on his face.

“I didn’t see her myself, but the Spillers described her as having long, black dreads, and she wielded dual blades—”

“That’s Toulou!” he shouted. “It’s gotta be!”

“You know this magic user?”

“Yes,” Adrian answered. “We’re trying to track them down. Can you direct us to Fevlin?”

“Fevlin? The Spiller stronghold?” She shook her head slightly in disbelief. “Why the hell would anyone ever want to go there?”

“It’s where that user is headed. Please, we just need directions.”

“You’re serious? This is a powerful user you’re after. Leveled strongholds and killed hundreds of Spillers already. I hope you gain some sense and forget such a hopeless quest.”

“Thank you for your concern, but we’re set on this mission.”

She sighed. “It’s your choice to heed an old woman’s advice or not. Not my job to keep you alive. Let me get you a map. The mountain road up to Fevlin is quite complicated if you’re not from around here.”

 

❀❀❀

 

“What is the plan once we reach Fevlin?” Emelri asked as they hiked up stone steps carved into the mountainside. The humidity combined with the sun wasn’t helping matters. “In just a day, Spillers will be waiting for us, including the large possibility of Carnadine herself. Not to mention, Toulou will be putting themself right in the middle of it all.”

“We’ll need to assess the situation first,” Adrian said through labored breaths, “then if things turn violent, our first priority will be keeping them safe.”

“I doubt they need our protection,” Pepin wheezed as he tugged a panting Bibi along. “I hope we can reach Fevlin before Toulou arrives so we can—” he exhaled a short breath before inhaling again, “—stop this before they paint a big target on our entire family.”

“I hope so too,” Adrian said, wiping the sweat from his brow. “How is your teleporting going by the way?”

“I would show you but—” he interrupted himself again with a soft wheeze, “—I’m a bit, you know...”

“Let’s stop for a moment.”

They all gratefully complied and ventured to a nearby tree jutting out of the side of the rock that provided some shade. Bibi’s reins were tied around the trunk.

Adrian pressed a water pouch to his lips before saying, “I know it’s unbearably hot right now but I’m certain it’s gotten a bit cooler since we started up this mountain.”

“No, you’re right,” Emelri agreed, taking a swig from her own leather pouch. “I bet tonight will be chilly. Ziluria, that sounds so nice right now.”

“What does?” Pepin asked between sips.

“Being chilly.”

He hummed in agreement, and there was temporary silence as they all quenched their thirst.

“I’m pretty confident about my superspeed and even some short jumps,” Pepin said after capping the water pouch. “Can I try taking us to the end of this path?” He pointed up the rocky steps to a large dirt landing.

“As long as you’re confident we won’t end up tumbling down the cliff,” Emelri commented, glancing at the drop off to the side of the trail.

“I won’t miss the location.” He shot up into a standing position. “Are you both ready?”

Adrian nodded, standing as well. “Let’s do it, though, I’m not sure how Bibi will feel about this...” The donkey shook his head as he grazed on a patch of green plants sprouting out of the rocks.

“I’m ready,” Emelri said, also bringing herself to her feet. 

A gentle hand was placed on her shoulder, and she looked up into familiar green eyes. Pepin quickly looked away to put his other hand on Adrian who in turn set a hand over Bibi’s back.

“Ready?”

They all nodded, and the magic user took a deep breath. A tight, piercing sensation spread through Emelri’s body as she was swept up by the magic. The intense feeling soon ceased, and the hand was lifted from her shoulder.

She blinked down at dirt, then turned to see at the bottom of the path, the spot where they’d just been.

“Let me try again,” Pepin said, pointing to the top of a ledge clear above them in the distance. “I’m bringing us there.”

“What? Up there?” She pointed at the same spot, and he nodded. “Pep, we aren’t supposed to reach that point til sundown at the earliest. Look how far away it is. Messing up a jump like that could be—”

“I know. Have some confidence in me.”

She stared at the easy expression. “You really think you can do it?”

He nodded.

“Okay. I trust you.”

“Me too,” Adrian chimed in, not taking his hand off Bibi’s back, who, speaking of the poor creature, the donkey was shaking with his eyes closed. 

“Bibi, you’ll thank me later when you aren’t walking for so long,” Pepin reassured, reaching out and stroking his neck. The animal jumped at the touch and continued his nervous shivering. “Sorry, Buddy. Alright. Is everyone connected to me in some way or another?”

Adrian and Emelri nodded, and the next jump was decidedly longer and more gut wrenching. Emelri thought for a moment she wouldn’t ever get air back in her lungs when she was collapsing to her hands and knees on a flat, smooth boulder. Closing her eyes, she huffed and puffed, waiting for the screaming headache to die down. 

“Just let me know if we made it or not,” she wheezed loudly. “I can’t look right now.”

“Oh, we made it alright,” Pepin’s unperturbed, bright voice answered. “I just saved us several hours of walking.”

“Oh Pep—ha—that’s wonderful,” Adrian said, and Emelri looked up to see him in a similar position to herself.

“Well, let’s not stop here,” he yelled excitedly, helping Adrian up. “Again!”

“No. That’s enough for now. We need to be considerate of Bibi.”

Poor Bibi had thrown up but at least wasn’t shaking anymore as he panted nearby. 

Worry flashing over his face, Pepin rushed over, cooing to the creature. “Oh, Bibi. I’m so sorry!” He stroked his neck. “I’m going to work on making it feel less terrible for you guys.”

“Can you do that?” Emelri asked, finally getting up and joining him by the donkey.

“Of course. Jacques’s jumps aren’t so terrible.”

“Regardless, I’m just glad you’re getting the hang of it,” Adrian said, walking over and patting him on the back. “We’re going to catch up to Toulou in no time.”

 

❀❀❀

 

Two nights of camping on the increasingly chilly mountain and a few more rough jumps, and the group was just outside a stronghold several times bigger than the ruined one they’d come upon in Yundet. Large stone walls spread around the entire thing, looking like a miniature castle, though it was clear right away Fevlin was not in good shape.

The battlements were aflame and in shambles; a massive gaping hole showed through one of the walls. Everything was covered in scorch marks. 

“We were too late,” Pepin whispered, frowning. “They’re already here.”

“They are?” Emelri looked over at him quickly.

He stepped forward, green light flashing over his eyes. “Stay back.” Without another word, he pressed forward deeper into the ruined stronghold, climbing over rubble as he did. Adrian and Emelri made eye contact, then followed cautiously while keeping their distance.

Emelri’s eyes widened when they rounded a corner of scorched stone to a large clearing. In the middle of this clearing waited a bloody scene.

Energy visibly crackled off Toulou’s skin as they held a sword up to the throat of what appeared to be the only living Spiller of the dozens who laid still and quiet in heaps among the rubble. Toulou’s shoulders tensed then, and the short glance they gave to the side made Emelri think they sensed their brother’s presence.

They did not acknowledge any of them further as they turned murderous glowing eyes back to the gasping woman. 

“Bring me Carnadine or you’re joining your friends.”

0