Ch: 1.1 [Close to death]
3.3k 6 104
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Please read the glossary before starting rather than dropping it later on with a low review or rating.

NO HAREM YET. I WILL INFORM YOU WHEN I ADD IT.

[Gotham City] [Location: Hospital] [Oncology department]

Evans sat nervously in the doctor's room, flanked by his worried parents. The doctor carefully reviewed his medical report, his expression growing increasingly somber. It was evident that the news he was about to deliver wasn't favorable.

Evans' palms grew sweaty, despite the coolness of the air-conditioned room. His eyes darted restlessly between the doctor and his parents, his anxiety mounting with each passing second. His cough had worsened over the past few days, and the medications and chemotherapy had failed to improve his condition. He had even experienced fainting spells, and this morning, a small amount of blood had accompanied his cough.

Closing the report with a sigh, the doctor turned his gaze towards Evans' parents. "I think it would be better for the patient to wait outside," he suggested gently.

"Oh, come on now. I know my body better than anyone else. I've been blacking out, coughing up blood, and struggling to breathe. I'm dying, and I'm fully aware of that. So, please, just lay it all on the table and tell me how much time I have left," Evans blurted out, unable to contain his emotions any longer.

His parents had already nearly depleted their assets to fund his treatments, even resorting to a substantial bank loan. Evans didn't want them to continue wasting money on him when there was little hope. He had made up his mind the previous night, deciding to cease the treatment that only prolonged his suffering and caused his parents immense anguish. The thought of the pain he had inflicted upon his family, and the suffering they would endure after his passing, weighed heavily on his heart.

"Son!" Evans' mother reached out and grabbed his trembling shoulder, her voice filled with anguish and love.

"Please, doctor, tell us if there's anything we can do..." Evans' father implored, his glasses off as he rubbed his tired, reddened eyes.

With a heavy sigh, the doctor began, "The tumors have spread throughout his lungs, and... I'm sorry to deliver such devastating news. But the cancer has reached the final stage."

"How much time do I have left?" Evans repeated his question, the weight of his impending fate pressing upon him. He yearned to know how much time remained, wanting to make peace with his unfulfilled dreams and instead focus on something meaningful that only he could achieve, given his critical condition.

"Without further treatment, it could be weeks, maybe a month. With continued chemotherapy, you might have around five to six months. I'm sorry, but that's the best estimate we can provide. Ultimately, the decision rests with you... Will you choose to continue with the treatment, or..." the doctor's voice trailed off as he met Evans' father's gaze.

Evans knew that his time was drawing near, but the realization that he had merely a month left struck him deeply. "So, it's time... Damn it! What did I do to deserve such punishment?" he questioned silently, though he knew there would be no answers forthcoming.

"Is that even a question...? Of course, we'll continue the treatment," Evans' father declared as he rose from his chair. He was unwilling to give up on his only son, even if time was scarce. He wanted to spend as much time as possible with Evans, cherishing every moment.

However, Evans reached out and firmly grasped his father's hand. "Enough, Dad... It's time to let go. I don't want to spend my remaining days consumed by pills and witnessing the suffering of both you and Mom. Please..." His eyes welled up with tears, despite his efforts to hold them back.

Evans' parents looked at him, torn between their love for their son and the anguish of letting him go. His mother's hand trembled as she wiped away her tears, trying to summon the strength to understand her son's wishes.

"But we can't just give up on you," she choked out, her voice wavering with emotion.

"I'm not asking you to give up on me," He replied, his tone gentle but resolute. "I'm asking you to support my decision to stop treatment and let nature take its course. It's been a painful journey for all of us, and I can't bear to see you both suffer any longer."

His father sat back down, holding Evans' hand tightly in his own. "We love you so much, son. It's just hard to accept that there's nothing more we can do."

"I know, Dad, and I love you both too," Evans said, his voice trembling with emotion. "But sometimes, the best thing we can do is accept reality and find peace in the time we have left. I don't want to spend my last days in a hospital bed, clinging to false hope. I want to be surrounded by love, laughter, and good memories."

His words resonated deeply with his parents. They knew that continuing aggressive treatments would only subject Evans to more pain, both physically and emotionally. They didn't want him to suffer any longer, and they didn't want to suffer themselves, watching their son endure it.

"I just wish there was another way," Evans' mother whispered, her eyes never leaving her son's face.

"There isn't, Mom, and that's okay," He said, trying to comfort her. "Life is unpredictable, and we don't always get to choose our paths. But I've made my peace with it. I want to focus on making the most of the time I have left and creating beautiful memories together."

Despite being 17 years old, Evans displayed a maturity and wisdom beyond his years. His willingness to confront the reality of his situation and make a difficult decision showed a remarkable strength of character. He understood the importance of quality over quantity of life and sought to find meaning and love in his remaining time.

As the conversation continued, Evans' parents eventually came to accept his decision, though their hearts were heavy with grief and sorrow. They understood that supporting him meant respecting his wishes, even if it meant letting go sooner than they had hoped.

However, as you know, life is unpredictable...

As they walked out of the hospital and were waiting to catch a taxi, Evans' phone rang. He glanced at the screen and saw that it was his childhood friend, Sarah. He hesitated for a moment, unsure if he should answer the call in his current emotional state.

"Go ahead, talk to her," his father urged, recognizing the importance of friends during such difficult times.

Evans picked up the call. "Hey, Sarah," he said, trying to sound as normal as possible.

"Hey, Evans! How are you doing?" Sarah's voice carried genuine concern.

"I'm... I'm okay," he replied, though his voice betrayed the emotions he was trying to suppress.

Sarah, perceptive as ever, sensed something was amiss. "Are you sure? You don't sound okay. Is everything alright? What did the doctor say?"

Evans hesitated for a moment before deciding to share the truth with his friend. "Actually, I.. Can we meet today?"

[Location: Park]

Evans and Sarah sat together on a bench in the peaceful park, surrounded by the gentle rustle of leaves and the distant sounds of children playing. It was a bright day, the sun casting a warm glow upon their faces. Despite the serene setting, Evans couldn't escape the weight of the conversation he was about to have with Sarah.

"I didn't want to worry you with all of this," Evans began, his gaze fixed on the ground. "But I've been getting worse, and the cancer is in its final stage. The doctor doesn't expect me to have much time left."

"Oh my God! Oh my God! Evans, I'm so sorry..." Sarah wrapped her arms around him, holding him close. He was her best friend, and he meant the world to her. She was devastated by the news and desperately wanted to help, but she knew there was little she could do.

"It's alright, I'm going to make the most of what time I have left," he replied, his voice a little stronger than before. "I just didn't want to say anything until we met."

His heart ached as a weird turbulence stirred inside him. His feelings for Sarah were much stronger than those he had felt for other girls, and the thought of being away from her caused him immense grief.

"I'm so, so sorry, Evans," Sarah repeated as she hugged him tightly. She knew he was being strong and facing his challenges head-on. However, the anguish of having to watch him die was overwhelming, and her mind struggled to process the reality of it all, "Why did it have to happen to you?"

"We all have our own time, and mine is running out," Evans replied with a somber expression. "But I want you to know that I'll always be with you. You've always been there for me, and I can never repay you for all that you've done. I know how much you care about me, and that knowledge is enough. You've given me the strength to carry on, even when I thought my life was coming to an end."

"I love you, Evans," she said, her eyes welling up with tears. She couldn't hold back her feelings for him any longer. "I've loved you for a long time."

His heart swelled with love, but it was mingled with a deep sadness. He loved Sarah, but how could he be with her when he knew he would be gone soon? How could he leave her behind? How could he accept her love and her support if he knew he would leave her behind?

"Sarah, I... I..."

******

AN: If you are into slow burn, you are at the right place. If you are not, and want quick action or sex scenes then don't read further. No harem is planned for now. If I did, I will inform through an update chapter.

104