Chapter 23.0 – Silverblade Associate
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was stupid to think myself the sole humanoid beast on this continent. Boss met my eyes, and I met his.

“I want to keep killing the beasts for you, but I need to be paid,” I said.

He didn’t answer. Instead, he turned his attention to Sophie. “How long has he been fighting your battles?”

“H…we’re a team,” she said, hands clasped together.

“That’s a lie,” replied Boss bluntly.

Sophie thought over her words. “Without the both of us working together we wouldn’t have been able to accomplish anything, you can’t discredit me—”

Boss did not intervene but exuded a pressure I couldn't overcome. A skill perhaps? “Please, let me keep working with him,” she begged.

Definitely. Sophie wouldn’t know that beasts could purchase skills.

“Leave,” muttered Boss. He motioned to the door.

“No! Please,” she begged.

What had he done to inspire such fear?

“Please, I’ll do anything.”

He shook his head. “It’s fine,” his voice rumbled. “Go see Victor for now, he’s missed you. Now, do us both a favour and leave. You’ll regret it if you don’t leave now.”

Sophie shuffled back, hands clasped together, begging, “Please.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll keep supporting Victor. I won’t punish him for your lies.”

When she left the room and closed the door, a small commotion started outside.

“I don’t like liars,” said Boss. “What are you?” he asked.

I didn’t speak right away. How much for a lie detecting skill? I asked the system.

- Basic lie detection 1 pt. (When you ask a question, your vision will turn green if the answer is the truth and red if it’s a lie.)

- Lie detection 3 pts. (When you ask a question, your vision will turn green if the individual speaks a truth and red if it’s a lie.)

- Absolute lie detection 5 pts. (When you ask a question and the questioned answers, whether he lies or tells the truth you will be given all information known to the questioned relating to your question. The number of times you may use the skill per day relates to your total mana.)

I’d love to assume he had the Basic lie detection, but him being a bandit leader it wouldn’t be weird for him to spend even five skill points on such a power. “I’m a Ravn.” I answered.

“A beast.”

“Like you,” I answered.

The room remained silent. Boss walked behind his table and sat down in his red velvet chair. His eyes were still above mine. “Did you kill the manticore?”

“Yes. And the troll.”

He nodded, pulled a drawer and dropped a bag on his desk. It clanged gold. “I’ve never seen another humanoid beast, and now, out of nowhere, you come here wanting to kill beasts like you’re devouring salted beans. With a civil war approaching, I can think of a few things. Power and riches, influence, and strength. You see, I’ve been thinking the same for a while, but never had I found a comrade, and I have yet to find one, but you–you can at least be a partner.” He pushed the bag across his desk. “This is how much I can offer you now if you agree to listen to my orders. But don’t worry, I treat my partners well. What d—”

“Is that all I get?” I couldn’t let him ask any questions.

He leaned back into his seat. “Quick-witted. What I want is this city. All of it, As my partner you will get a share. How doe—”

“Wait, how much gold is in the bag?” I couldn’t think of another question. His words flowed well.

He didn’t answer. Not pleased with my manner of doing things, no doubt. “I need you to answer one question, that’s all. You’ll get the gold after.”

“I’ll decide whether or not to answer after I see the gold.”

“Then I’ll keep it for now.” He moved the bag to his chest.

“…Ask away,” I said.

“Good. Will you listen to my commands and support me in my endeavours to take over the city? And please provide me with a short answer.”

I tried to think of a way to sidestep his question, but nothing came to mind. “I’ll listen to your commands and support you in your endeavours,” I answered.

Boss exhaled and pulled back the pouch. “I can only give you half.”

No doubt my other heart had betrayed me. “Give it, and please recommend a good tailor and bath.” I’d have to be careful around him going forward.

Boss poured the coins onto the table. With his arm, he swept half the coins into his drawer. He threw the others back in the bag. “Fergo’s tunic and shield are our affiliate store, they also offer baths to our members.” He threw me a silver pin. “Show it to get a discount. Can you read?”

“Yes.”

“Here.” he handed me a parchment. An injured griffon, unable to fly, has settled near Road’s village. Two townspeople have fallen prey. Next to this text, a small map showed the direction to get there.

A griffon sounded great, but I didn’t want to come back here every two days. “Give me four more.”

“Careful how you speak. No need to be crude, we are affiliates now.” He pulled out four more tasks. A hobgoblin, one earth serpent, and two orc settlement subjugations. “That’s all I can offer for now, but be back at the end of the week, I’ll have something much better then.”

I left, the heavy bag of gold in my hands.

In the bar, the bandits were lost in games of cards or drinking games. They turned to stare at the pin, gold, and parchments in my hands, but a glass hit the bar counter, and everyone returned to their activities. The old man behind the counter served a lady in a long brown tunic.

Why were they all here? Didn’t bandits rob, extort, and do other things? Why were they all drinking and letting the time pass? Who collected the racketeering money? I squeezed through the chairs and made my way up the shaft, through the tunnels, and down the other side. There, near the exit, Sophie drank a glass of wine, her eyes red. I sat down across from her. “What will they do to you?” I asked. Boss didn’t seem like a bad person nor cruel.

“Fuck you! You killed Gerald, Victor isn’t waking up, and I’m going to be a slave!” Chairs squirmed on the floor and voices quieted. “What will they do?” She threw her cup across the room. “Figure it out yourself.” She got up and ran out the door.

Here the talking hadn’t died down and as soon as Sophie left a man came around with two cups in his hands and sat in Sophie’s seat. “You aren’t going after her? How cold.” He smiled.

I got up and left. In the streets, people chattered amidst the bustle of everyday life. Some rolled barrels down the street, others carried baskets atop their heads elbowing their way through traffic, and some carried their goods in cloth bags.

Sophie was nowhere to be seen.

#

I didn’t feel like going to the tailor right away. But in my current disheveled state, people avoided me like a diseased rat.

I did my best not to stop and admire the stores filled with red and golden potions, swords, shields, earrings and necklaces, humans, dogs, and cats. These scenes were too interesting.

My mouth watered. I hadn’t eaten in a while, but having a meal in the city wasn’t a good idea. I could wait till I went out to hunt beasts. I would be heading off to villages after all.

As I slithered through the city, I found myself in front of Fergo’s tunic and shield. A man in a deep blue fabric sewn together with golden strings approached me. “Do you need help finding anything?” he asked.

“I need to buy some new equipment.” I flashed him my silver dagger badge.

“Let me escort you to the baths first.”

He led me to the back of the shop. There, in a small room, two women waited.

“What kind of clothes or armour do you require?” asked the clerk.

I didn’t know anything about human clothes, just that the nobles wore awfully tight clothes. “I’m going to hunt beasts, so whatever works for that. And nothing tight.”

I couldn’t see him, but I heard his clothes ruffle, and the door closed.

The women cast magic. “Let water clean thee,” one said, while the other scrubbed me down with a cloth and led me to a large bath where I dismissed them.

I dipped one foot in the bath. Hot. But good. I sat on the edge and let both my legs hang, the clear water distorted their shape, and I kicked them around, making waves in the bath. I jumped in and plunged my head under water. Sound distorted and a low hum filled my ears. It was quiet, very quiet. Too much had happened recently, but now I could relax.

“Help! Help! Can anyone use light magic?”

1