Book 2, Chapter 06, The Mexican sort-of Standoff, When your rival and you share the same thoughts.
216 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi,

I'm back from some P.T. and the flue (not yet gone).

Hope you're fine and that you will enjoy this chapter.

Should someone find a typo, an error or something else, please let me know in the comment, I will rectify as soon as possible.

Thank you all for keeping up with me.

X-W.

Book 2, Chapter 06, The Mexican sort-of Standoff, When your rival and you share the same thoughts, A.K.A...

Flashback. Two days before "HE" found out.

Hogwarts, Director's Office.

- Good evening Draco.

- Good evening professor.

- How were your holidays ? Eventful ?

- You could say so professor. I had to watch my father pest and pound the ground about Mr Weasley's law proposal. I also was able to met professor Lockhart in the summer.

- Professor Lockhart ? Why would you try to reach out to him ? He asked, his eyes gleaming behind his half-moon spectacles.

He was giving me one of his patented nice smile, enticing me to develop. Unlike some hero, I didn't need to hide my thoughts and feelings.

- Our last DADA teacher ended up having Voldemort embedded on the back of his head. I became curious about the man you recruited to replace him. (Yep, I said Voldemort, do you want professor Dumbledore to give me his speech about the name of the things I fear again ? I'm trying to fast-forward here).

- Hm, and what did you found out ?

- He's the biggest fraud out there without a mark on his forearm. And that he would also be a perfect prospect for them.

- Why would you say so ?

Did you notice how he's never giving you his own thoughts ? It's like with the Rized Mirror. Socks... Yeah, off course.

- My father being one of the governors allowed me to know of his recruitment at the start of July. It felt strange how you could recruit a wizard of such poor standing for the school. He's all for show, always pushing forward his "accomplishments", trying to use every little thing for publicity.

- Every man has his flaws, but this doesn't mean he wasn't competent for his job.

- I made him drink some veritaserum, sir.

That part earned me a Teal'c/Spock raised eyebrow as a reaction. 

- You do know that it's use is severely controled. Whatever information you would get from it could not be used without a writing order from the Wizengamot as a whole in a trial.

- Desperate times, desperate measures, professor.

(A good thing with face to face meetings ? No use for briefing material so, it also won't have to self-destruct. I don't live on a state budget guys).

- The people outside all think they won a war. But this is only a mere truce. Many more people will die. Some soon, some later. People will grieve, cry and mourn. Lives will have to be sacrificed, maybe even my own. My only focus is on the mission.

Professor Dumbledore was able to see the determination showing from my eyes as he let a moment pass.

- What did you found out then ?

- One thousand, four hundred ninety two errors, inconsistencies, impossibilities and others while combing through his "books" (heavy sarcasm heard here), his interviews, etc. He may have written them, but it's impossible for him to have been the one acting as described inside. Then after I drugged him, in the most easiest fashion way possible. (insert sarcasm here) Not something a trained person fighting against the dark arts would fall for. I had all the proof I needed.

I know the names, surnames, occupations and likely addresses of every person he spoiled of their stories, accomplishments and worst, memories. That man is a sociopath whose only reliable weapon is the memory charm.

My contempt was obvious at this point and I didn't even try to hide it. 

- Would you have plans for him then ?

- I do have plans for him. I will first show every student his flaws and his real face. Just like with the Griffondor's fiasco lesson. Something he will gladly help me with should I present it correctly. Then, when the time is ripe, I will let the world know the whole truth. By that time I hope to have been able to find and hopefully have every single one of his victims healed. My investment with his publisher will help me redirect the funds from his books to their rightful recipients. My only concern is if it will pose problems for the school by that point. 

- You shouldn't concern yourself with that. I also have plans, he said with a smile I reciprocated. 

Dumbledore was looking intensely at me at this point. After letting a small moment pass between us, he then changed the subject.

 

- You also talked about your father.

The mood got darker at this point. Contrary to the fool, that opponent knew how to fight and would easily kill for his objective. (He knew Ginny would eventually die under the diary's curse).

- That man (still can't call him my father) has a plan in place for Mr Weasley. Something dark and dangerous. I'm not privy to the right information, but I know that the Muggle Protection Act is a huge problem for him. Especially it's component about an absence of prescription for the crimes related to it. Father obliged himself to many despicable acts on the compound. The less infamous of them would still sent him to Azkaban for a long time. 

The moment he had that fight with Mr Weasley was highly suspicious. First he got us there on a schedule after expediting some business at Borgin and Burkes, to sell some poisons he likely provided to Zabini's mother at least once I think. (Why do you think I don't want that dude or his mom near my mother ? It's also the reason I'm working on potions, read poisons and antidotes, with professor Snape) I don't have proof alas. Our sells done, we rushed to Flurry and Bott in a hurry. Pretending then to have been here for some time. He was definitely waiting for them. 

- Do you have some suspicions about it ?

- More than suspicions. I saw him pocket a small leather book before leaving the manor. It was the size of a notebook or a diary. He kept it in his inner left breast pocket and checked to verify it's presence before and after Borgin and Burke. The moment Hagrid broke down the fight, he took a book that was meant to be bought for Ginny Weasley, put it in her cauldron and insulted them all. A good cover up according to me, for he didn't have that book when he went back home. 

He specifically forbade me from touching it. Prevented Borgin from even seeing it. But acted as if it had less value than a lost Knut as soon as the fight ended. Highly suspicious. 

 

Professor Dumbledore had one of his thoughtful gaze at that time. Probably reminiscing old times or trying to fact-check with what he knew from his past. He didn't know about the diary at that point.

- I think you should keep monitoring our young friend and the persons close to him for the time being. Alert me if you find anything suspicious about Ginny Weasley.

- Understood professor. I answered then walked out.

Since I made use of my invisibility cloak, no one saw me come in or out. This path included more stairs but at least I didn't need to fear some gloves malfunction while crawling on the walls. Just kidding, I had a tool for that but I was planning on adding some modifications to it.


The sidekick punishment. Present time.

While Harry went to face the Lockhart's punishment, Ron was submitted to the abuses of our one and only Mr Filch.

Now that, was one petty and pouty squib.

Polishing the trophies ? Ok.

But, why would he make Ron polish Tom Riddle School Special Award over and over ? (once would have been enough to unslug it).

Any thoughts ?

A hint.

It may have something to do with a poor half-giant bloke, wrongfully labelled as the-guy-who-opened-the-Chamber-of-Secrets-fifty-years-ago, and the one bastard nice looking fellow who managed to get him expelled.

 

Not like that same gamekeeper opposed said squib during the day like many other times over the punishments/tortures the squib wanted to inflict on the students, the hero and his friends for their behaviour, etc.

 

Wonder how he would react when he found out the link between the lonely student from back then and the dark lord.

 

Now let's go back to our convict-cleaning-man.

That ass wanted Ron to figure out the entire story by himself.

 

RON !!!

 

The guy who forgot to give his pals every information he learned during his life about the ministry inner working parts during it's robbery ?

Same Ron who's only good at planning in chess.

That dude would swallow hook, line and sinker, for every false rule Clarkson would try to use to cheat and win, in any competition.


When your actions have consequences. Yep, "HE" learned about my showoff.

How do you think I ended up writing back to fan-girls for him while Harry was writing the addresses ?

I'm currently in Lockhart's office writing back to his fan-girls, for many reasons :

- my handwriting is perfect unlike "H".

- I can make useless pompous flourishes without prompts.

- I can make small talk in the letters without my answers looking like copy/paste.

- I got caught having a rivalry with the lightning hero by an insufferable prick.

 

Yeah me !

 

At least it wasn't totally useless for me.

While Harry looked like he was forced to drink tar, I made use of this lost time to enact the Lockhart-fall-from-grace-plan.

Also known as :

Muahahahahah-mark 01. (Picture evil face here). 

For those who want to criticize me, please take note I had to merrily talk, ask, answer and flatter him from the start of this detention to it's end.

And

I.NEVER.GOT.PUNISHED ! ! !

He dragged me here for four hours long lecture.

So, here I was, pretending he was the second coming of Merlin.

And even better than the first.

Inflating his ego.

Like it needed it...

 

I was asking him about all the duels he must have won while in Hogwarts. Why there wasn't an award in the trophies' room at his name.

"I was so good I withdrew myself from the contest to let the others contestants have a chance to shine". 

Yeah, of course, keep telling yourself that.

I asked if he thought he could win against professor Flitwick (multi-time champion in his teens and youth before he took on to teach) and yes he thought he could wipe the floor with our charm's teacher.

By that point, he was so engrossed in my praise, he sometimes forgot to praise himself in his correspondence. He was oh ever so grateful I made him notice the fact.

It was then that I sweetly mentioned that Hogwarts didn't have a duelling professor. Shouldn't this task befall on the DADA teacher ?

And since he was the best DADA teacher the school has known since it's founding, he would be the best to guide and nurture the students.

I didn't need anymore prompt for him to jump on it. Angel jumping style.

 

Keep in mind while all of this happened, two of the three persons involved were sharing looks mocking and disagreeing about the third one's opinion.

It helped my bullying-persona. Harry clearly saw my act as me mocking the stupidest Hogwarts' teacher ever.

That fool was too busy talking about our rivalry, his "great" accomplishments, the "small ones" Harry and me got, etc.

He did whisper to me that he only downsized mine so he didn't look like playing favourites.

 

Yeah, of course.

 

(Oh, I got an idea for an artefact that would be useful.

Lucy's glasses from Fairytail.

You know, the ones who make you read faster.

Had to check if they existed or not).

 

The fool was so self-centred, he totally missed the moment the walls talked to Harry.

I would have too if I didn't knew canon first, but the moment he started to look around wondering who was talking to him was a dead give away.

- What ? Harry said loudly. 

- What what ? I answered.

- I know ! said Lockhart. Six solid months at the top of the bestseller list ! Broke all records ! Commented the moron.

- No, said Harry frantically. That voice !

- Sorry ? Said Lockhart, looking dumb. (Not hard on his part). What voice ?

- That – that voice that said – didn’t you hear it ? He wasn't the least assured when he talked asked about it.

- Hearing strange noises in the walls and pipes Potter ? (Did I gave away a clue ? Not like I wanted to fast-forward some parts of the story). These old magic castles are so scary with their ghosts and old folk-tales. Better pack up and go back to your muggles. I mocked.

Lockhart looked at me like I was a misbehaving chubby toddler. (I would really need one of his memory charm to forget his face right now). 

- Please don't tease your fellow student Draco. 

He then looked at Harry in high astonishment. 

- What are you talking about, Harry ? Perhaps you’re getting a little drowsy ? Great Scott – look at the time ! We’ve been here nearly four hours ! I’d never have believed it – the time’s flown, hasn’t it ?

Speak for yourself asshole.

Do I need to tell you he finally sent us both to bed after that ?


While Harry directly went to sleep, I took my time reporting that the seeds for my plan against the moron were sowed. 

I also talked about Harry's strange behaviour, the way he kept glancing at the walls and seemingly hearing things when I only heard noises and the third wheel only heard his own voice. 


The following morning, on a special demand from professor Dumbledore, professor Snape took upon himself to teach me a particular "canon" spell. 

My almost canon-story-tryout was underway.

8