32. Devil is in the Details
675 24 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? If a Paul falls in a forest, and there's no one there to see it, did he actually fall?

These are the questions.

It’s been approximately three months since he last moved into the house, but this is the first time we’ve interacted in any meaningful way. He avoids me, I avoid him. This is the status quo we made for ourselves, and I’m happy that way.

Yet, there he goes ruining it.

Ah, so annoying.

A cheater. A liar. A charlatan. Paul is a great deal of many things, many of them not particularly good. However, he did have one thing going for him, and he just had to ruin it.

Hahh… I guess it's true what they say; all good things must come to an end.

I get that… but I really wish I didn’t.

Paul is…

Well, quite frankly I hate him. There is no other way about it.

He is still Aisha and Norn's father, but that is unrelated to me.

Or rather if he wasn't their father, I wouldn't have taken it easy on him.

If Lilia had only committed adultery without conceiving, then I probably would have convinced Zenith to leave Lilia at the waist-side, and forget about Paul. But that didn't happened. Lilia was pregnant, and it was winter, and for better or worse we were stuck with each other. It's ironic... Aisha hasn't even been born yet, but she's the linchpin holding this family together, for better or worse.

I don't know what the future entails. I don't know what I'll do. But what I do know from a shadow of a doubt is that every child needs their father, and I won't always be around. I CAN'T be around. When the time comes whether it's a promise to Sylphy or the machinations of a god, I'll have to go and make something of myself, because if I don't...

Well... I die.

All good things must come to an end.

Paul will be Paul, and whatever that entails, but my enmity of him aside. I can see beyond my hate, and look at the facts, and the fact of the matter is… he has the potential to be a good father.

As much as I hate to admit it.

He could have never been my father. Because I could never be his child. But Aisha and Norn won’t be like that. They will need a father. They will need someone to raise them in life. Someone to nurture them as they grow. Someone to teach them their alphabets. To protect them from the evil, and to teach them right and wrong.

…I’m suddenly feeling very uneasy about my course of actions.

Point being, for better or worse, even if I have to drag him kicking and screaming, he will be the father Aisha and Norn need. Because I decided so.

However...

That is all inconsequential to me.

“Don’t you have a set of rounds to do or something?”

“Not really,” he shrugs. “The sun is setting, and dinner’s about to begin. Besides, what's wrong with walking your son home?”

“Besides this is the first time you've offered? Nothing, now get lost. No one likes a clingy parent. Also I can fly.”

“Don't be like that. Besides, you're too tired to be flying right now aren't you?"

"...I will neither deny nor confirm that with a comment."

"I mean that more or less confirms-"

"What do you want Paul?"

So annoying. Truth is, he's unfortunately right. I went through quite a few exercises, and played my heart out today. My heart is free of worries, but my body is exhausted. I could probably push myself for one flight if I tried, but why should I be the one to push myself?

He’s the one that should get the hint and leave.

“I can fly whenever I want to. Sometimes I just want to smell the roses.”

“What roses?”

“It’s an expression.”

“Meaning?”

Meaning you should take a hint, and take a hike.

“Shouldn’t you be doing something like maintenance or something.”

“Already did.”

I believe nothing that comes out of your mouth.

Whatever.

We have been living in the same household for three months while ignoring each other's existence. What's another twenty minutes?

“Hahhh… Here I was enjoying my day… I’m going home, good luck with your… whatevers,” I moved along doing my best to ignore him. The kite on my back suddenly feeling a lot heavier.

Let’s see from here to there it is about… a twenty minute walk, with this weight maybe an hour, if I strengthen myself, hmm… thirty minutes, but…

I turn to him, trotting along on his horse.

He’d catch up easily if I don’t give it my best.

Just bear through it.

“Hey, don’t be like that,” he slowed his pace down, so as to talk to me as he walked along. “We haven’t talked in months since… well… everything.”

“You mean since you cheated on mom.”

“...yeah that,” he looked away shamefully.

As you very well should.

Now then, since you're so ashamed of yourself, why don’t you go hide your face in a hole, and get lost. I heard a mysterious, and handsome, young adventurer was digging pits in the mountains. Now would you kindly jump in one, and make yourself at home. I insist.

Please?

“You know,” he continued, plowing ahead through the awkward silence. “I’ve noticed things have taken a positive turn in the house. Your mother is smiling, and she even seems to have buried the hatchet with Lilia. They looked like they were having fun playing games. Your games. You’ve done a good job Rudy.”

I slowed my pace, narrowing my eyes in suspicion. His choice of topic slowed me down.

“...thanks.”

Where are you going with this?

“So is it my turn yet?” he asked.

Da-fuck he say?

“Excuse me?” I stopped.

If I didn’t know any better I swore he just-

“You know when are you going to work your magic, and help me and your mom get back together.”

“...hah?”

…that.

What is this guy on about?

“Don’t look at me like that. You promised you were going to get us together.”

Moron says what.

That doesn’t sound like something I would say.

“...did a horse kick your head?”

“No you did!” He screams with fervor.

“...I kicked your head?”

“No, not that! On my first night out, when you kicked me out-”

“I’m pretty sure that was Mom.”

“When, ‘YOU!’ kicked me out. I asked you a week later if it was really necessary for me to sleep outside, and you told me; ‘if a person committed a crime went unpunished, and then apologized, getting off scot-free would you believe they were sorry, or would you forgive the criminal that was punished, and apologized,’ well, here I am, punished, and it’s been three months, we’re living together, but your mom and I are still on the outs.”

Ohhh, yeah… I did say something like that. I almost forgot, no, I did forget about it.

It was bullshit.

Don’t get me wrong, everything I said, now and back then, are based on a modicum of truth, but…

I was just trying to get rid of him.

I was just tired of seeing his idiotic face day after day.

During the early days he kept hovering around the household making an already awkward atmosphere even more awkward. Camping outside, he would come over and try to smooth things over. Sweet talking Zenith, or trying to, he would follow her along, and do his best to get under her good graces.

It was frustrating to see. Not that it worked.

However… persistence is his virtue, and… he changed tactics, and… started focusing on me.

Annoying.

I had almost forgotten those days. I had put it in the back of my mind. As during that time that was all I was doing. I was simply walking along minding my own business, as his voice continued to grate on my ears.

Eventually I couldn’t take it anymore, and promised him something along those lines.

I couldn't exactly lash out at him as if I had done so, I felt it would have had the opposite effect. I felt it would have earned him some pity points with Zenith, and then I would be seeing him more instead.

So I said a few pretty words, and ignored him to this day.

I had honestly forgotten.

“Why don’t ‘YOU,’ do something about it? You are husband, and wife.”

“I would if I could, but she’s not letting me. Every time we talk she just turns her nose at me."

Heh~ she does do that, doesn't she. It’s hilarious. Cute… but hilarious.

Honestly, when she’s not furious, and just annoyed, It makes for an amusing sight. Like an angry chipmunk.

I’m not telling her that though.

I don’t want to sleep outside.

Honestly, he’s probably doing better than he thinks he does. He should consider this an improvement. I know for a fact that in the original timeline he didn’t get to sleep in her bedroom until after I got sent away.

I won’t tell him though.

“I think you’re doing fine… with whatever this is.” I wag my finger in a circle emphasizing this whole scenario. “She’s not screaming at you, or cursing your name. So take your small victories where you can get ‘em. The silent treatment is a plus. Besides,” I shrugged, “it’s only been four months, it’s hardly a long time.”

Truth. I remember in the original, even with Rudeus proactively trying to bridge their bond back together, things were still rocky in that timeline.

You’ve made your bed, now sleep in it.

“But… Lilia and her are already on speaking terms, and hugging… It feels more like they're the couple, and I’m the bamboo wife.”

Go die in a ditch, who’s a bamboo wife?

“You and Lilia are not a thing.”

“Of course we’re not,” he waved it off. “But that’s not what I mean. I just… feel like I’m being left behind,” he turns to me. “ If I didn’t know any better… I’d swear you don’t want me and your mom getting back together.”

“...you’re not denying it either.”

What’s there to deny?

I’m neutral with your situation. Neither for, nor against. That’s the best you’re going to get from me.

“A man should be a man of his word,” says Paul.

Hypocrite says what?

I turned to look at him, narrowing my eyes, wondering if this fool really hasn’t lost his goddamn mind.

If a horse hasn’t kicked you in the head, then it should.

“Yeah, I know. I realized it after I said it,” he scratched his cheek as he randomly looked at a cloud. “But,” he faces me, “you know what they say. Learn as I say, not as I do. You might dislike what I say, but it doesn’t make it any less true. You don’t wanna grow up like me, do yah.”

“...”

That… that might be the best argument I’ve ever heard.

I still won’t help him though.

“I’ll see if an opportunity comes up.”

I’d say, about… three years? That’s fair, right.

Do your best old man, I’m not rooting for yah.

Not really.

“I see, so it really is like that,” Paul mutters. “You know Rudy…I don’t think your mom would really appreciate all the monster hunting you’ve been doing.”

I stop.

…what did he just say?

“Monster hunting? I’m not sure I know-”

“Oh, don’t worry about it. I'm not gonna tell your mom, or anything like that. Guy code, we have to stick together. But yeah… I don’t think your mom would appreciate everything you’ve been doing lately, monster hunting, mining in the mountains, sneaking into girls bedrooms… it would break your mother’s heart.”

He…

“You’ve talked with Laws.”

It isn’t a question, I’m just stating the obvious.

“A little, but I didn’t have to. Here’s a lesson for you Rudy, something that you haven’t figured out yet. We’re nobles… lesser nobles, but nobles nonetheless, and we live in a small village of 300. People are going to talk,” he gave me a look, “about you, and everything related to us. Currently, you are the talk of the town,” he shrugs. “Well, village, but point stands. Oh, by the way Geralt said thanks for the silver. Here,” he flips a coin to me. “He even gave me this coin to give to you. He’s giving you your cut, as it were,” he winked.

Bastard sold me out!

So this is how you want to do things?

“...what do you want?” I asked.

It’s rhetorical. I already know. I’m just making it official.

“Now, now. No need to make such a face. I get it! Mining, hunting, dating, you really want to have an adventure don’t you?”

“I-”

“No need to explain,” he says.

Just get to it already!

“Adventuring! Going around, seeing new lands, and experiencing new sights. I get it, it’s the life! All boys want to grow up and be the heroes from their books. Who wouldn’t want to take over a dungeon or two, find a nice girl, and retire a rich man. The three G’s: Gold, Glory and Girls. That’s what it’s all about!”

“Ah… hah…” I mutter.

…what do I even say to that?

The sad part is I can’t completely disagree with him.

But the fact that I agree with him to a degree probably means there's something wrong with that logic.

Please shut up. You’re making me question myself and my plans for the future.

“Just look at you, carrying around your own self made gear after coming off a date with your girlfriend.”

Hold on a second.

“She’s not my-”

“A regular craftsman, and a ladies man already.” he ignored me.

Annoying…

I can feel my blood pressure rising.

Fuck it. He does it one more time, I'm blasting him, and taking his horse.

How hard could horse riding be?

“Gold and girls, you're just missing a little glory, and you’ll have the whole package. I can’t wait to see what you make of yourself in the next few years. You’ll be a real adventurer, but… you still need work.”

“Excuse me?” I asked.

“What’s wrong with your kite-shield?”

“There's a hole in it.”

“Yeah, I can see that. And why haven’t you fixed it?”

“It’s not something I can do off the bat.”

“Twenty minutes.”

“Huh?”

“Twenty minutes. That’s all it would take to fix it, as it is. If you improve on it, from its base, probably five.” He smirks.

Stop that. Only ‘she,’ can get away with it. With you I just want to punch you in the face.

“That’s not all. Smithing, skinning, sewing, pretty much anything involved with your hands, I can do it. If you want to learn, I wouldn't mind teaching you. Laws never said anything outright, but considering your actions, I think it’s pretty obvious you want to be an adventurer. Well… hope you didn’t forget your old man is an S rank adventurer?”

“I see… and I suppose you want something?”

“Don’t say it like that! It’s just…” he snaps his finger, “a deal between gentlemen.”

Slap.

I couldn’t help it. I hit my own forehead hard, as I’m stupefied by his… boldness.

Acting like I have a choice. This is basically blackmail.

“Hah…” I sigh. I pinch my brow in frustration.

I more or less have figured out this is where the conversation was going, but it’s still annoying.

“...what do you want, Paul?” I asked.

Paul [pov]

“What do you want, Paul?” Laws asked.

“Can’t a friend just visit?”

“Friend?”

“Hey!”

“I’m joking, but seriously… It's too early to be drinking. So you could only be-”

“So how are they doing?” I asked.

“...that,” he sighed. “You know for someone that doesn’t talk to his own kid, you’re a surprisingly doting parent.” He shrugs. “He's fine by the way. He’s doing the usual.”

“I see.”

“Your son is like clockwork, doing his own thing on his own time. My daughter is starting to get lonely.”

“Isn’t that what you wanted?”

“Except that she thinks I had a hand on this.”

“Well… you did.”

“In the beginning, not today.”

“Oh. So it’s one of those days?” I asked.

“Precisely.”

“So how is my son doing, precisely?” I go to the edge of the tower, and strain my vision.

He’s not in the skies, so that would mean… there.

Looking down in the distance, I can see some movements among the greenery. Barely making it out I can more or less see a lightly dressed figure, my son’s, plowing through some treants.

It’s either that, or he’s just being lashing out against trees. Again.

Knowing my son, both are possible. Although, I hope he’s over his tantrum phase. It was really embarrassing watching over him, when he’s lashing out at the local fauna.

“Want a closer look?”

“Oh, I don’t-”

The words die in my throat as he holds out his hand, a spyglass in his palm.

“...that would make things easier, thanks,” I take it from him.

“No, problem,” he takes out another.

“You have two of them?”

“It pays to be prepared.”

That it does.

Putting the spyglass to my eye, I can finally see the whole situation perfectly. “He is…”

“He’s a monster,” says Laws.

Taking off the eyepiece, I glance at him.

Oy! Granted I agree with you, but that’s still my son we're talking about?

“Respectively of course, but seriously… what did you do?”

What… I did?

“Oh, you know. A little of this, a little of that. I just taught him the bare bones, and he took to it like a fish to water,” I say as we look at the same thing.

“More like a bird to air,” he mutters. “I guess, Roxy really was an important person.”

“Indeed.”

I don’t doubt that.

But I doubt this has anything to do with her.

I remember the days when she was chasing after him in the distance, and stumbling over herself.

She was without a doubt a key to Rudeus' success, but I doubt she was the only key. My gut is telling me that with or without her, Rudy would have grown the same. She just rushed things along.

As we’re staring down from the tower, we’re witnessing my little monster play around with the treants in the woods. It is as ludicrous as it sounds. I can see him going through the motions. Using footwork to easily maneuver them. Striking at the most opportune time. And retreating when they retaliate. Using magic during the whole thing, I assume, he glimmers green, he stays just out of reach.

Monster is a fitting nickname. Lovingly of course.

“This thing is really useful.” I admire the spy piece in my hand. It’s making spying a whole lot easier. “It’s a shame I never got to use one when I was adventuring.”

“They’re sold predominantly along shore lines. You should have spent more time shopping around the seas, if you wanted one.”

“The sea huh…”

That explains why I didn’t see one. The few missions I took part by the sea, I was… distracted. Zenith, Ghislaine, Elinalise…

Good view, good times.

If I had this tool at that time...

Alright, enough of that. Plenty of time to reminisce later. Time to focus on Rudeus.

“He’s the same as usual. Just plowing through everything that gets in his way. Honestly… I almost feel sorry for the monster. I can tell that he’s just toying with them.” Laws says.

“I can see that.” I put the spyglass away.

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what he’s doing.

He’s literally playing with his opponent. He could have easily ended the fight with some fire magic, but he chooses not to. He just lets it recover, and strikes at it from behind. It’s just stress relief.

Like father, like son.

The footwork and countering of the Water God. Striking form of the Sword God, and the opportunistic nature of the northgod. Wrap it all up, and add magic into the mix, and you have a formidable warrior with no signs of weaknesses.

My seed really is strong isn’t it?

“Well, at least he’s gotten out of the habit of talking to them,” I muttered.

“That’s true,” Laws taps at his chin as he remembers the first time found him, “but he’s still taking too long. I’ve seen what he’s capable of, and this fight should have ended a while ago. The boy’s just releasing stress at this point,” he faces me. “Like father like son I suppose.”

“Oops?”

“...jump off this tower, and fly.”

“So cruel!”

You think I’m a Sky race?!

“But in all seriousness, that goes beyond simple magic. It couldn’t have been just Roxy. Just what did you do?”

So the secrets are out, but what did ‘I’ do?

“Are we talking about swordplay?” I asked.

“Unless you're a mage, yes I’m talking of swordplay.”

Swordplay… yeah, I’m an S rank swordsman, and my son is using the sword, and is advanced for his years, and it would be natural to assume that it was my teachings that got him this way.

It was wrong.

As much as I would love to say it was me. I can’t. Well, I could, it’s not like Laws would be any wiser, but saying it puts a bitter taste in my mouth, since… ‘that’ form is reminiscent of her.

Water God footwork, water god techniques, techniques used for defense and countering. That is not my fighting style. Those aren’t things he learned from me. The way he moves around, lying in wait, countering at the last moment, and seeking minimal movement. That's not something copied from me, but rather… her.

Even that stance… It's reminiscent of Lilia.

When I look at him I can see their images overlapping.

He’s been dyed in her colors.

It leaves a very bitter taste.

“Honestly, swordsmanship, magic, flight magic at that, and already fighting monsters. The boy’s growing up to be a real powerhouse. It makes a father worried.”

You’re not the only one.

“You’re just annoyed that you won’t be able to push him around soon.”

“Can you?” he countered.

“...”
“...”

That’s hitting below the belt.

“Moving on?” I proposed.

“Moving on.”

He’s not wrong though. But I rather not think about that. He isn’t at that level… yet. Excluding water God techniques, everything else is at intermediate level. He’s still a beginner in the ways of life.

Probably.

Truth be told, I don’t see him enough to know if that's true or not.

I’m confident if I had trained earlier I could do something similar to what Rudeus is showing me, but I didn’t pick up the blade ‘till I was eight. With the amount of experience my son is gathering he’s going to grow up frightening.

Also… a little bit proud worthy.

What a weird feeling.

To be both proud and jealous simultaneously. Well, it doesn’t matter. The more talented my son is, the more talent the Greyrats have.

You go son! Teach the world the greatness of the Greyrat! That’s my seed!

In any case…

“Thanks by the way,” I thanked him.

“For?”

“For, well a lot of things, but specifically for looking after my kid. It helps knowing that he had a safety net as he grew,”

“It’s fine,” Laws face turns a little red.

H-hey you’re a guy right? Please don’t show me such expressions! Think of your wife!

“What are friends for?” He whispers.

Friends… that’s right… friends…

It’s not a complicated thing, but it’s something I forgot about. Going through school, adventuring halls, bars, it all came easy to me. Just talk about whatever is on your mind, and let it flow. It was just that easy.

But It's probably because it was that easy that somewhere along the line I started taking it for granted.

In the beginning it wasn’t like this. In fact, despite being my same old charming self, I was a bit of a black sheep among my family. A little too blunt, a little too free spirited, and a little too pugnacious, I didn’t exactly fit the mold of what a noble should be.

But among commoners…

Among commoners I would find my first friends. Their names were Ludd and Marianne.

It’s funny, I haven’t thought about them in forever, but they were without a doubt my first true friends. Being the black sheep of the family, I usually wanted out. Being locked in my room, and forgotten about for long periods of time, it got really easy to sneak out without being seen, and do whatever I wanted. Whether it be finding comfort in the hands of some nice prostitutes, or taking out my stress out on some unlucky punks, I was free to do as I wanted.

They started it. Not my fault.

It was during one of these fights I would run into them; Ludd and Marianne. A pair of siblings, and vagabonds, with a small gang of their own.

Naturally I beat them up.

But life has a way of working out. We became good friends afterwards.

Really it’s that easy.

So yeah… friendship, it has always been important to me, but I forgot.

It’s a weird thing to say, but it’s the only way I could say it. It’s not that our bonds weren’t real, it’s just… thinking about them is painful.

Back then, when I first met them, I was in the outs with my old man, mama had just died, and he, we… weren’t taking it well. Things were said, and I had enough. I ran away from home. And took my friends with me.

It was a spur of the moment kind of thing, but they followed me, and for the short while it lasted, it was just us versus the world. Living by ourselves, picking fights, and stealing from gangs. It was the best of times, and the worst of times, but I definitely don’t regret them. It was the best. They were the best.

But then it finally came to an end.

Marianne got sick.

It turns out she had a weak constitution, and the touch-and-go lifestyle we had didn’t do well for her constitution. We had to part ways.

It was… hard, but… we knew it was for the best. Ludd was never going to abandon his sister, and Marianne couldn’t follow us even though she wanted to. It was inevitable. So I cherished our bonds for what they were, something beautiful, but temporary.

It’s a bittersweet memory.

Looking back, that’s probably where my thoughts on friendships started forming.

I would go through dojo’s, adventure halls, brothels, bars, etc. etc. Meeting and fighting with new people along the way. Preferably the former. Sometimes the latter. Sometimes I would leave as I just didn’t fit in with them, while at other times they would leave, because they didn’t fit in with us, and sometimes, it was neither, and someone just had to ‘leave’ because they weren’t fast enough to dodge a monster's fangs.

Moving on became a necessity. To be an adventurer is to adapt or die. People move on, because they had to. It’s the way of the world. It’s survival. That was the lesson that was ingraining itself in my heart. I might have learned what friendship was, but I didn’t learn how to keep them. I didn’t have to. I didn’t want to.

Then I met Eli.

Then Geese.

Then Ghilaine, Talihand, and of course Zenith; the love of my life. And those lonely days became a thing of the past.  Slowly, but surely my worldview started changing, and I met people I didn't want to move on from. People I could share a good drink with. People I could to fight with. People I could laugh with. People I could trust my life with.

The Fangs of the Black Wolf was formed.

My most important, and dear, group of friends, wife included.

However… endings come when you least expect them.

Zenith got pregnant.

It was a shock to say the least. Not that I was unhappy with, but I thought for sure I still had three or more shots before I would have to take responsibility, but as usual life has a way of working out.

Even if it was a little… messy.

I might… might… have made some promises with Elinalise, and… she might… ‘might’ have taken it as a betrayal when I went back on my word, but in my defense I made those promises before I met Zenith.

...yeah... not my proudest moment.

It was a mess.

“Seriously… Laws… thank you. I owe you one… and several more.”

“...you’re getting mushy… did Zenith give you the cold shoulder again?”

“Hey! Give me a break, I’m just trying to give my friend my thanks. If you’re going to bust my balls about it, then I’ll start telling Sylphy about the spyglass.”

“What happened to friendship?!”

“What happened to fatherhood?!”

“Ahhh, you and your son are exactly the same!”

“Of course!”

“I’m not complimenting you!”

"I'll take it as one!"

It's funny.

One week after my exile I was raging, and taking out all my stress on any monsters unlucky to cross my way. Unfortunately I got injured while doing it. A little too reckless I made more mistakes than necessary, and got caught all bloodied and beaten by the roadside where shortly later Laws would meet and patch me up. It was a wild first week.

We’ve been friends since.

I seriously can’t underestimate how much having just one person on your side can do for you.

“Seriously thanks.”

It’s good to have allies again.

“Yeah, you’re welcome, but,” he turns to face me, “but still… don’t you think it’s time you should start making moves toward him,” he crosses his arms. “Wouldn’t it be better to protect him from his side, than from this tower? I mean not now,” he looked over the tower. “Not unless you can actually fly, but next time. When he goes on a hunting exercise.”

What are you, my wife?

But it’s fine. I have a plan.

“Pfft, yeah… it would be nice if I could, but… you know how he is. Pretty sure if I tried that, he’d just cancel his little training trip, go off to the side and say something like; ‘I have a fairy to catch,’ or ‘mama’s calling me,’ or whatever lie he can scrounge up and fly away,” I shrug my shoulders.

Like father, like son.

“Besides… he’s fine.”

I’ve made sure of it.

“I still feel you’re being reckless. There's always the chance that he might get in tr-”

“There isn’t.”

Laws frowned at my tone.

“I’m still a father, you know. You didn't think I was just venting did you?”

He scrunches up his brow in confusion.

“Rudeus hunts in a linear path right?” I asked for clarification, to which Laws nodded his head.

“Well, I wake up earlier than he does, so every time he goes to his training grounds, I make sure to go a mile ahead of him, and kill any monsters that might be particularly strong. Combined with his whole flight trick, and the fact that we’re pretty close to him,” I signal to the tower we’re in, “if any real danger pops up, we can swoop in. So, no, I don’t think we need to stand beside him.”

There is discord between us, but I wasn’t so forgone that I would let my child fight in the forest, without making sure it's safe. So the moment I heard rumors of a noble’s child playing in the forest, I did as any father would, and took precautions.

“Hmm,” he hums. “You’ve changed. If just a little. The previous you would be taking the opportunity to strengthen his bond with his child as well as showing off. I’m impressed.”

“Huh, ah, yeah, I guess,” I scratch my cheek. “Besides, I need to soften him up a little, and make sure he’s in a good mood, before I ask him a favor…” I say under my breath.

“Hahhh…” his face twitches, “I take it back. You're the same as ever.”

“Hey! I resent that! The previous me would have done things a little more… well it doesn’t matter! The current me, is just being more… uh, careful! Yup!”

“Sneaky is more like it.”

I flinch.

“Well… I guess I would be too if I had messed up as big as you did,” said Laws.

“...you’re never gonna let me forget are you?”

“That’s what friends are for.”

“Too remind me of all my failings?” I questioned.

“Too prevent you from repeating them. Especially when you have everything to lose if you did.”

“Please don’t make it sound like I’m a child, but… you’re right.”

“Just return my good faith in kind.”

“No problem… want a day off so you can take your family on a picnic?”

“That’s…” He looks at the edge of the forest, "...make sure your son is busy on that day, and you have yourself a deal.”

“Deal!”

He turns serious for a moment, giving me a serious stare, “If I catch him in my daughter’s room again. I’m piercing him with arrows.”

“First you have to catch him.”

He glares at me.

“Cough, cough. S-sorry. It slipped. I’ll talk to him about it once we’re on speaking terms again.”

“And that will be?”

“Soon. Tomorrow is the day your daughter, and my son go on a date-”

“Play date.”

“Yeah, yeah of course. I’ll get to it.”

After waiting long enough, I’ll trust my instincts and go on the offensive. Like the water god, you wait. Like a Sword god you strike, and like the North god you strike when they least expect.

“It’s time,” I said to myself.

“Just don’t go overboard will you. I know more than anyone how you have a habit of overdoing things. I still remember the first time I found you bathed in monster entrails after you decided to… lessen everyone's burdens. As thankful as we all are for your… enthusiasm. It got really boring those days. Please leave us something.” he sighs. “Who knew that the sudden monster drought was caused by an overprotective father.”

“I’m sorry?”

“It’s fine, just remember not to kill them all off. Some of us need something to do, otherwise we’re stuck watching our daughters flirt with boys and unable to stop them,” he massages his brow. “It's exhausting.”

“Ha ha, that’s true. I guess I was a little thorough,” I rub the back of my head.

It’s not my proudest moment, but when he found me, I had a lot of built up stress, so… I went a little… berserk, and lashed out at all the monsters around.

“Thorough? You almost single handedly wiped out all the monsters in the area. Well, they’ll be back eventually.”

“Did it work by the way?” I asked him.

“You’re going to need to be more specific.”

“Did the monster difficulty drop?”

“Oh, that. Yeah it worked. Your son didn’t have to deal with anything but C-rank and lower, except for that one time, but even then he did fine by himself. Honestly, I’d thought you were of the baptizing by fire faction.”

“There's a time for tough love, and there's a time when the gentle approach is the best approach. Different people, different approaches.”

“Huh… that… actually sounds impressive.”

“I learned it from the women in my life.”

“...and there it goes.”

“Anyways,” I looked through the spyglass one last time, before calling it quits.

He’s heading west. At this time of the day, the sun would still be out for several hours, so he’s going to…

“Looks like I have to cut things short. I tossed the spy piece back to him. “He’s going to Sylphy and going on another date.”

“Play date,” he corrects.

“Sure~"

“...can I punch you?”

“Ha ha ha…”

To be young and naive.

Rudy not Laws.

But really, how naive can my son be?!

That girl is practically-scratch that, she has! Literally thrown herself at his feet, and he just ignores it.

Where is that Greyrat vigor?!

Once I fix our relationship. I’ll help him with his.

“It looks like they'll be doing their flying thing. I’m going after them. Just checking, but are you sure Rudy cares about money? He looks like he’s studying to be an adventurer, but just because a boy plays adventurer doesn’t mean they want to be an adventurer. It could just be a phase.”

“No, his interest in adventuring definitely goes above the norm. He and my daughter have been asking questions relating to money, as well as other things, like the cost to rent a room, or how big is a standard party is. He’s definitely serious about being an adventurer, especially the money part of it.”

Maybe they're trying to elope?

“You’re not worried your daughter will be whisked away?”

“By your son? Hardly. I asked him the other day if he had any plans of taking my daughter away from me, and he said he had no intention of taking my daughter for the foreseeable future.”

“Foreseeable future, huh,” I quoted.

“Foreseeable future. If nothing else, he sure does speak like a noble. Your son is many things, but a liar isn’t one of them. He can lie, but he’s terrible at it. When the time's come, and he inevitably becomes infatuated with my daughter, I’m sure I’ll see it on his face,” he gives me a look. “You and I will be having a very different talk then. Until then I’m not worried.”

Inevitable huh.

“And here I thought you were finally ready to marry off your daughter,” I joked.

He glowered at me.

“It was a joke, calm down,” I threw my hand up.

“Not funny.”

“Sorry… but thanks for confirmation. Thanks to you I now have an attack plan ready. Whether he’s interested in adventuring, or just money making. I can help him on both accounts. So,” I made a salute, “wish me luck.”

“Good luck. Oh!” he exclaims, “if you want to improve your chances, I recommend you do it tomorrow evening.”

“...why?”

“My daughter is planning on playing with him all day tomorrow, and asked me not to bother him. So… she’s been getting annoyed at me recently for trying to stop them together,” he puts his hand on his chin, as he looks on the horizon lost in thought. “So they’ll both be in a very good mood tomorrow. It will be the ideal time to ask a favor.”

“...I can’t tell if you really want them together, or not.”

“Me neither,” he sighs dejectedly to the side.

Friendship between inlaws is a tricky thing.
///

“What the hell are you doing here?”

“Hello to you too Rudy,” I told him.

I made haste, and went looking for him. It wasn’t easy, but unlike a certain someone, I actually had a gameplan, and eventually found him.

By stal-

Reconnaissance, yeah… reconnaissance.

I eventually found him coming back from Laws house.

Time to start the attack.

Still hurt though. Can you not be so confrontational?

This is why I wanted to go with the more natural approach of meeting ‘coincidentally’ down the road rather than this.

Daddy is sad.

There were… complications, but everything is still within expectations. I can still break the ice, and fix things. And as soon as I go through the hurdle that is Rudy… I can use him to get to her, and fix things with my wife. I’ve bidded my time long enough. I’m tired of waiting. If I don’t do something soon I feel I might lose my place in my own house.

“Hahhh… Here I was enjoying my day… I’m going home, good luck with your… whatevers,” he says, making an about face and walking down the road.

Hard to run away when I’m on a horse isn’t it?

“Hey, don’t be like that.” I moved beside him. Me and Caravaggio keeping a steady pace. “We haven’t talked in months since…” I struggle to find the right words.

Now that I think about it, despite Rudeus' long depth of knowledge he absorbed from Roxy’s tutelage, the inner workings of a relationship might not be something he knows about.

Maybe he doesn’t know the severity of what happened?

“well… everything,” I said, ambiguously leaving out the key word.

No need to teach him the word affair.

“You mean when you cheated on her.”

Or maybe he knows exactly what happened.

“...yeah, that.”

He doesn’t pull his punches.

Cheated, couldn’t you… have… um…

Okay... perhaps there is no nice way of saying it.

I cheated on my wife. I cheated on my wife with a woman whose only worth is her body, and almost shattered everything, because of it.

All because of her.

That’s a mistake I intend on rectifying. But first I have to be given a chance in the first place.

That’s where Rudy comes in.

“You know, I’ve noticed things have taken a positive turn in the house. Your mother is smiling, and she even seems to have buried the hatchet with Lilia. They looked like they were having fun playing games. Your games. You’ve done a good job Rudy.”

You’ve done well Rudy. Now it’s time for me to strike.

“...thanks,” he looked at me questioningly.

“So is it my turn yet?” I asked.

I’m thankful for you laying the groundwork, but now it’s time we fix our family.

“Excuse me?” He looks at me as if I've lost my mind.
///

After that I did my best to navigate the conversation to my liking.

Rudeus is smarter than me, if I’m not careful he could talk his way out of this, but he’s still inexperienced at this kind of thing, and I have the experience of talking with nobles.

I still had to chase him down sadly, but I expected as much.

Like a Shironian rat the more you tried to catch him, the more scraggly he became.

Little monster really suits him.

Luckily my perseverance paid off and I was able to direct the conversation to the promise he made about helping me.

Truth be told, I didn’t really expect him to actually help me out.

If he was anything like me, he wouldn’t keep his promise. But… if he was anything like Zenith, there was a chance he would. It was a gamble, but considering how he helped Lilia’s relationship with my wife, it was a gamble worth betting on.

Afterall, I am his father. If he’s willing to go so far for a maid, then naturally he could do the same for me. The bond between a father and son is stronger than of a maid and master.

That is… as long as she is JUST his maid.

…but that’s a conversation for another day.

Hopefully, she kept her word.

One battle at a time.

“I’ll see if an opportunity comes up,” Rudy says after I finished making my pitch, all the while avoiding my eyes, and walking ahead.

“...I see, so it really is like that…”

‘Opportunity comes up?’ You could just say no.

I knew this was a possibility, but it still hurts.

Then again. If I was him I’d do the same thing. It looks like I really will have to use plan B.

“You know Rudy…I don’t think your mom would really appreciate all the monster hunting you’ve been doing.”

He stops.

I was hoping it would be different, but he really does take too much after me, and as proud I would normally be of that, right now it’s annoying.

Underhanded methods really are necessary.

Urgh… the things I do.

“Monster hunting? I’m not sure I know-”

“Oh, don’t worry about it. I'm not gonna tell your mom, or anything like that. Guy code, we have to stick together. But yeah… I don’t think your mom would appreciate everything you’ve been doing lately, monster hunting, mining in the mountains, sneaking into girls bedrooms… it would break your mother’s heart.”

He turns to look at me, his eyes squinting, “you’ve talked with Laws.”

He’s not wrong, but I do have eyes… and a spy glass.

“A little, but I didn’t have to. Here’s a lesson for you Rudy, something that you haven’t figured out yet. We’re nobles… lesser nobles, but nobles nonetheless, and we live in a small village of 300. People are going to talk,” I then made to look at him, “about you, and everything related to us. Currently, you are the talk of the town,” I shrug.

So am I, but we’re not talking about me.

“Well, village, but point stands. Oh, by the way Geralt said thanks for the silver. Here,” I flipped a silver coin to him. “He even gave me this coin to give to you. He’s giving you your cut, as it were,” I winked.

“...what do you want?” He asked.

Now that the first swing has been made, it’s time to follow through.

Gently… lower your enemy into a false sense of security, before preparing the follow-up.

“Now, now. No need to make such a face. I get it! Mining, hunting, dating, you really want to have an adventure don’t you?”

“I-”

“No need to explain,” I say.

I can’t let him get the advantage. Keep the words coming. If I let him direct the conversation we’ll go off topic, then I won’t be able to get him on my camp.

“Adventuring! Going around, seeing new lands, and experiencing new sights. I get it, it’s the life! All boys want to grow up and be the heroes from their books. Who wouldn’t want to take over a dungeon or two, find a nice girl, and retire a rich man. The three G’s: Gold, Glory and Girls. That’s what it’s all about!”

“Ah… hah…” he mutters.

Keep it going. His defenses are down.

“Just look at you, carrying around your own self made gear after coming off a date with your girlfriend.”

“She’s not my-”

“A regular craftsman, and a ladies man already.” I continued.

I think I’ll stop now. He looks visibly annoyed. It helps my case by getting him rattled, but I won’t be going anywhere if he decides to leave.

“Gold and girls, you're just missing a little glory, and you’ll have the whole package. I can’t wait to see what you make of yourself in the next few years. You’ll be a real adventurer, but… you still need work.”

“Excuse me?” He frowns.

You’ll get old like that Rudy. Calm down. Your youthfulness is your strongest attribute, without it you lose your biggest weapon.

“What’s wrong with your kite-shield?”

“There's a hole in it.”

“Yeah, I can see that. And why haven’t you fixed it?”

“It’s not something I can do off the bat.”

“Twenty minutes.”

“Huh?”

“Twenty minutes. That’s all it would take to fix it, as it is. If you improve on it, from its base, probably five.” I smirk.

Strike. Fights are not decided at the end, but at the beginning. Whoever has a plan is the one that wins.

Sorry Rudy, but you’re much too green to be my opponent.

“That’s not all. Smithing, skinning, sewing, pretty much anything involved with your hands, I can do it. If you want to learn, I wouldn't mind teaching you. Laws never said anything outright, but considering your actions, I think it’s pretty obvious you want to be an adventurer. Well… hope you didn’t forget your old man is an S rank adventurer?” I take a peek at his features.

He has a frown, but overall meek.

Rudeus might be a little temperamental at times, but he can still be sensible when he needs to be.

You’d have to be mad to go against your own self interest.

S class adventurers don’t grow on trees you know?

“I see… and I suppose you want something?”

“Don’t say it like that! It’s just…”

How should I say it? Bribe? No no, that’s the opposite of what I want. Ah! I got it.

“A deal between gentlemen.”

Slap. He slaps his forehead.

“Hah… what do you want, Paul?” He says pinching his brow.

Come now Rudy, you’re lost. Accept your defeat with grace, and let me have one. It’ll be for your benefit later on.

You’re not dumb so stop pretending you are.

“I want to get our family back together.”

“...”

He stares at me impassively.

Such a cold stare.

…I guess I’ll have to make concessions.

“Hah… you don’t need to do talk good to me about your mom, or anything, just… give me a tip here and there, like ‘mom is in a good mood today,’ ‘mom is craving oranges,’ ‘mom enjoys this game,’ you know, little things, I would do the rest.

“...”

He simply continues to stare. His stony appearance never betrayed him.

Huh? Aren’t you thinking too hard? This is a win-win scenario, what’s left to think about?

In any case, I know what makes me tick, and so I know what makes him tick.

Just a little more.

“It’s a small price to pay right. I’m not quite sure what Rudy wants from adventuring, glory, gold or girls, but your father is a master in all of them. So, If Rudy is interested,” I get off my horse, and walk towards him leaning my elbow on top of his shoulder.

I know you’re interested, let me just remind you.

“It can all be yours. I have all the right skills that Rudy would need for adventuring; carpenting, fishing, skinning, although I think Laws covered that last one. Smithing, or even knitting, you’d name I could teach it. You’d be surprised how useful knitting could be. You name it if it involves your hands I can do it,” adjusting my positioning, I maneuver my shoulder so I can wrap it around him, bringing him into a one arm hug.

He looks at it for a moment frowning at it, but not saying anything, before returning to look at me impassively.

You spend too much time around Lilia. It hurts.

“Everything including… certain things,” I whisper in his ear.

It would backfire on my face if he developed certain skills before he even found someone to use them, or rather Laws would kill me if he started flirting with his daughter.

You know… on purpose.

“But I’m not teaching you those just yet, but still the… ah… what’s the word? Dividends! Would be glorious, so what do you say?”

I let go of his shoulder, stood in front of him, and offered my hand, waiting his handshake.

“...”

…and waited.

That’s odd, if it was me I would have jumped at this deal.

It’s not like I'm telling you to sweet talk your mother, just give me an assist when I need one, and in return you get the three gs. You’d be a fool not to take it!

“...”

And yet Rudy still doesn’t say anything.

How stubborn can you be?

“...”

He closes his eyes in silent contemplation.

After a good minute of long silence he starts moving his hands scratching at his head, before making a small pillar next to him and sitting on it, cross legged, giving me an annoyed glare.

“...annoying,” he mutters.

That’s painful Rudy.

“...but… reasonable.”

YES! Yes, it is!

“I’m not helping you out directly. Just tips.”

“Yeah.”

“If you overdo it, and hurt her deal’s off. She takes precedence.”

“Naturally.”

Not that I have any intention of bothering her. As long as I can get in the same room as her, I’m sure that sooner or later she’ll fall for me all over again.

“And your knowledge better be usable!”

“Of course.”

“None of that Kablow shit,” he says.

What is he talking about?

“Sure!”

My hand still outstretched during all these demands, he finally reaches out, hesitatingly so, but it moves forward regardless pausing a moment…

Enough of that!

I reach out, clasping his hand, and shaking it.

“It’s a deal!” I yell.

It worked! Not quite according to plan, and he definitely hesitated more than I would like, but in the end everyone got what they wanted.

“Tch!” he exclaimed, releasing my hand as if scalded, and returning it to himself, before wiping it on his trousers.

You’d think he just stuck his hand in dung.

Taking his kite off his back, he walks next to Caravaggio, and places it on him.

“I’m tired after a lot of back breaking work, have Caravaggio carry it for me, and you can help me patch it up tomorrow. We can work on our… deal then, I’m going… somewhere… don’t follow me.”

He hops off in a different direction.

If I remember correctly, that location is… the tower. He’s going to blow off steam.

Well, that’s fine. Laws is still there, and I don’t think there are any monsters there anyway.

Bending his knee… I can feel the wind gathering, and air becomes heavy with the mana gathered.

Whoosh. And like that he was gone.

His figure starts to fade with one giant jump as he’s gone several meters ahead, before his figure settles down, and he does it again, doubling the distance.

Guess he wasn’t that tired, or maybe he’s pushing himself just to get away?

Whatever, mission accomplished.

“...and there he goes. This is why I have to corner you, you’re slippier than a wet Shironian Rat,” I smiled at my son’s fading figure as it lowered in the horizon. “It’s only a matter of time. Isn’t that right Caravaggio?”

“Neigh!”

“Ahhh! Who's a good girl? Yes you are!” I play with her mane.

Taking a good look at my surroundings, I see water puddles here and there.

“Looks like spring is finally here.”

For the first time in months I’m looking forward to tomorrow.

“Now… I wonder; how should I set up my first make-up date? I don’t think I’ve ever had a make-up date?” I patted my horse.

The closest thing to it instead would be makeup sex, but that’s several steps in the future. Can’t get her into bed if I can’t even touch her.

“Guess we’ll wing it. Right, Caravaggio.”

“Neigh!”

“That’s right!”

With a lighter heart I finished my rounds.


AN: So many rewrites... So many edits. Please leave comments below. 

25