35. Familial Circumstances
620 10 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rudy [pov]

Time slips by when you're having fun.

It's been a couple months since we finished our little gardening stint, and I must say… they sure are looking plump.

Their bodies meaning-wait, that’s not better!

Argh…

…I meant in the sense that they’re getting ready to give birth.

…as ever, I am eternally grateful they can’t read my mind. My survival instincts just kicked in, and they say I would most have assuredly died if I worded those thoughts out.

Is this what you call a premonition?

Anyways, not plump, glowing; is what I meant to say. It’s hard to say how far they are into their pregnancies, without the proper equipment, but I'd say Zeny is about nine months foregone, give or take two weeks, and Lilia about a month behind her. Our family's about to increase by two, and I am... overwhelmed.

I have sooo many emotions.

Excitement, happiness, nervousness, anxiety, nostalgia, worry... hope. So, so, soooo many emotions, that I'm a complete mess. So many echoes within my heart, it sounds like it might pop out.

Is this what one calls love?!

I jest. But truly my heart is a mess.

I'm going to be a brother.

I mean… I’m going to be a big brother!

Or.... I’m going to be a brother?!

The words in my heart don't know how to come out.

“Whew, what to do?”

Three years. That’s how much time I promised I'd be here. That’s how much time I promised to stay. But damn is it tempting to ask for more. 

Yet, I can't.

In three years time the teleportation incident happens.

Truly... the human heart is insatiable.

The previous Rudy never had to worry about such things. Never thinking about others, not really, he was selfish through and through. I won't say he didn't think about others, because he certainly did, but only to the extent on how they relate to him. His field of vision was extremely narrowed. And when you view the world through such a narrow lens it's only natural that blind spots are going to happen. A person's future is not just your future. If you have any aspiration of living with anyone, of relating with anyone, then a modicum of empathy is needed. You need to understand the person you want a future with, less their actions catch you off-guard. If the only person you see is you, or centralized around only you, then ONLY you will be in it.

Can't say it didn't work out for him, cause it did, but he was playing with fire. He was lucky his future didn't go in flames.

Plot armor?

In any case, he threw away control for comfort, and simply followed the wind. It was easier.

It was childish.

As for me... I'm a completely different case. I could follow the same wind, but I feel a part of me would die if I did. Knowledge of the plot, knowledge of the enemy, knowledge of my preconceived 'destiny' I could not, would not, follow the whims of fate. The thing I have going for me the most is freedom, and I will see it to the end. Free to decide where my wings spread, and where my sky lies, there are no reins on me. I am free to decide how high I rise, and how low I fall. And Yet... with so much freedom... it's hard to decide where to soar.

Brother...

Or rather... certain words drag me back down to earth.

Sister... I'm going to have a sister...

The echoes of my heart...

It's... complicated.

I used to have siblings once...

In another life... and now...

'It's complicated,' feels like those words are becoming more and more synonymous with my way of life.

Zenith, Paul, Lilia, whoever it is, I think they would all agree I'm not exactly what you see. Prodigal, smart, mature, you name it I've been called it, but none of them were truly fitting. It's simply a word to describe me. And that's all it is. A word. Forget that and look beyond it, and you'd see how hollow those words ring.

I'm complicated, but I’m not THAT complicated.

As for Norn and Aisha... they'd be the complete opposite of me, or simply put; they'd be sweet babies, and that... that I want to see.

It's not really that complicated, I just want to see them.

Free of bias, of worries, of preconceptions, of reincarnation shenanigans, they would be pure and honest babies as they’re supposed to be. They'll see the world through pure and honest eyes, and come to their own conclusions. They'll live life freely experiencing it for the first time, and learning things as they go. They'll meet people for the first time, and treat them as they are, and not as they're supposed to be.

In their eyes, I wouldn't be a prodigal brother, or a mature child, or someone beyond my years. I'd simply be... their brother, and that is... more than a little bit tempting.

Complex? How could I not be. The feelings that churn around my heart keep throwing me for a spin.

But I don't hate them.

Like the feelings you get when your crush confesses to you, it sets me ablaze, but in a good way.

Not that I've ever been confessed to, but the point stands!

Point being...

"Doki-Doki feelings really set your heart ablaze when you're not used to them huh..." I mutter. "I guess love really is a muscle."

It's funny... I never would have thought I would feel like this. To want to meet someone you've never met. To want to hold them. I was simply supposed to come in, live my life, and leave like the wind. It was supposed to be simple.

Obviously, it has been anything but.

Funny how life works out.

You try your best not to fall for them, you try not to get close, you try to have everything under control, but the more you do the more you don't, and before you know it, you have yourself wrapped up around someone's pinky finger. Confusing, yet heart throbbing. Exciting, yet terrifying. It's all a convoluted mess, but I'm starting to think that's exactly what love is.

In conclusion; I just want to meet them.

It's funny... I know the ever present threat of Hitogami still exists. I know he's just looming over the horizon. I know what I SHOULD do, and that my time is limited, but... I still wish to fight it. I wish this dream floating in the wind could float just a little longer.

And that's the bad joke in all this. It can't.

This summer solstice, nay, this miracle, was always floating on borrowed time. It was only a matter of time before a strong wind came blowing in. Due to time travel shenanigans caused by a miko in grief I was gifted this window of opportunity, but that's all it ever was, an opportunity. In three years time, that spell resolves, and the flow of time resumes, and the veil of paradox is removed. No longer blinded Hitogami would be able to see me, and where I am, and that is... the one thing I cannot allow.

Honestly... it's not complicated at all. The answer has always been staring me in the face.

So long as I'm never here, Hitogami's gaze will never waver. I simply have to leave.

I hate it.

The gods made a joke, and it's at my expense.

"And yet..."

...despite everything... despite logic and reason... part of me wonders if maybe, just maybe... I could fight fate on this as well...

I mean... the only reason I appeared on Hitogami’s radar in the first place was because I decided to have a child with a certain Bluenette. A child that is now an impossibility considering I haven’t seen her ‘mother’ in years, and even if I were to see her tomorrow, I couldn't see myself falling for her at the drop of a hat. Or rather, I'm certain she sees me as something akin to an annoying little brother than anything else. Forget falling in love, we’d be lucky not to have a falling out.

So maybe... just maybe... it's not too much to ask to stay for four... or even five years?

"..."

Yeah... I didn't think so either.

“I don’t know why I torture myself like this. No one would answer me," I grumbled, looking on the horizon. "But... at least I'm not alone."

Over the horizon, beyond my line of sight, is my happiness. Lilia and Zenith, I would not be here without them.

"Pillar was it... I wonder who was truly holding who."

In her mind's eye Zenith probably thinks she needed me. That's incorrect. She never needed me, I needed her. If we could do this all over again, and I was somehow stupid enough not to help her she would still be fine. Lonelier, and a little sadder, she would still have Lilia. She said she couldn't forgive her if I wasn't here, and there might be some truth to that, but... I think, much like I, she probably liked Lilia more than she was willing to admit.

If my feelings for her could get stronger during winter simply by proximity, I don't doubt the woman who's always hugging her would do the same thing.

Or rather...

Please leave me some room! You're hugging her so much I'm getting jealous! I don't even know for who!

"Ha ha..." I laugh at my passing fancy.

Honestly I might be losing it. Somewhere between hope and despair. A certain world ending bear(Hitogami?) would probably frolic with how crazy my life is getting.

I reincarnated in another world, but why is my world ending?!

"Alright," I sat up, and started stretching my legs. "That's enough introspection for one day. Those beauties won't hug themselves, and by now Paul would probably have annoyed them by now."

At least Lilia.

Manipulating the mana I do as I always done, and set for greener pastures.

Poof.

And with a burst of wind and magic, any sign that I was ever on the roof; gone. Along with my worries.

"It's true what they say. The first one to fall in love loses."

Perhaps I'm still a child, being so hopeful, despite for all intents and purpose being a 'loser,' but... I feel as long as I have them, stumbling or not, I'll find my way, or rather...

Don't you dare let go of me!

Rosy thoughts continue flowing through me.

Honestly, I love them.

With murky feelings I set for clearer skies.

///

In hindsight, if I knew then how exhausting my day was going to be I'd have liked to at least take a shower. It was going to be a long day, and I really needed some rest and relaxation for what was to come.

Unfortunately I could not know that. Hindsight is twenty twenty. And Life waits for no one. In every sense of the word.

...I really should be careful what I wish for.

///

Paul [pov]

Something isn’t right.

“I felt a bump,” Rudeus said as he rested his head on his mom’s stomach, and a hand over Lilia’s.

Yeah… that.

Currently I’m taking some time off. Leaving my duties to Laws and redirecting my focus to what matters. With Zenith in her final term it's important I'm there. It's just...

They get lost in their own little world.

Hey, you’ll know I’m here right?

Anyways, the village head was quite accepting of my break. Apparently word of my earlier doings reached his ear, and he was feeling quite generous, saying; ‘feel free to take the next three months if necessary,’ and ‘The early months are always the most difficult.’ he let me have an extra month more than I asked.

Good guy. Personally I think three months is a little too much, but I wasn’t going to say no to some more time off. Taking care of Zenith takes precedence. And Rudy wasn’t that difficult the first time around, so how hard could it be?

That and… three months of being by my wife’s side. No interruptions. No excuses.

I’m looking forward to it in many ways.

That said… It doesn't change how weird things have been lately.

I glance at them.

When did they all get this close?

“Yeah… she’s becoming more lively,” Zenith said.

“Ah,” Rudy tilts his head up, looking up to her, “so you’re finally accepting that it’s a girl?”

“Well… I always wanted a daughter,” she puts a finger to her lip as she thinks, “but if it’s a boy that’s good too. I’ve just gotten into the habit of calling my baby a girl since Rudy is so dead set on having one. Honestly,” she puffs her cheeks, “who knew you wanted a sister this badly?”

“Indeed,” Lilia interjects, rubbing her stomach. “Master Rudeus has been calling this little one sis for some time now,” she adjusts her glasses. “I believe it all started ever since he set up the play,” a coquettish smile slipping her usual taciturn features.

She’s smiling at him again. Troublesome.

Why do I have to witness this?

“Was it the dress? Worry not master. We will love you all the same even if you never wear a dress again.”

“That’s not-”

“Nope~” Zenith said.

Lilia and Rudy turned to her.

“What? Rudy made such a cute princess. It would be a crime, nay a sin, not to meet ‘her,’ again.”

“...I’m not doing that again. Besides,” he shuffles his body over to Lilia’s side a little more, his head laying now on Zenith’s right side of her stomach, “I already sold the dress. I gave it to Alice in exchange for a book about fairy tales.”

“Awww, that’s a shame, but Alice not Sylphy?”

“I thought about that, but I’m a little bigger than Sylphy so it wouldn’t fit her right now,” he shrugs, “I figured giving it to Alice would be the next best thing. She can sell it, make a good buck of it, or wait ‘till later, and give it to Sylphy when it suits her better. Either way, everyone wins.”

“...but Rudy’s princess gear…”

“Like I said; everyone wins.”

I don’t. What are they even talking about?

I look at them a little lost. It leaves a bitter taste, but they can easily forget about everybody in their vicinity when they're like that.

Can I come in yet?

Standing in the garden I feel like the outsider looking in as these three continue to ignore me. My wife in a chair under the shade of her favorite tree, enjoying the morning breeze. Lilia at her side standing stoically, and resting a hand on my son’s shoulder, and said son enjoying them wholeheartedly as he lays his head on Zeny’s belly, all the while his right hand traces circles over Lilia’s own.

Aren’t they a little too close?

“Hey there everyone! How is the love of my life, and children!’”

“Oh, hello dear. Back so soon?” My wife acknowledges me.

This is the result of me charming my way back into my wife’s heart.

It’s been a tough road with a few setbacks here and there, but I've finally gotten here. The other two continue ignoring me, but the one that matters most acknowledges me. Back at her side, I’m ready.

There was a tricky spot in the middle where I had to be careful finding the right words, and Zenith was particularly moody against some of my earlier flirts, but ultimately I managed to sneak my way right into her heart.

All thanks to Rudy.

…I think?

Frankly, he's insufferable. Always at odds with me, there were plenty of times when I thought he had something against me.

But…

He’s also the reason my wife is talking to me in the first place, sooo… It’s complicated. He’s both my strongest ally, and my greatest enemy.

My feelings are mixed to say the least.

I know all boys are supposed to favor their mother’s over their fathers, but it honestly felt like he was sabotaging me. Showing up at the strangest of times, he would try to one up me. It doesn’t help that he’s an adorable child so every time he did it, it only helped strike right at my wife’s heart.

How was I supposed to compete with that?! You don’t!

But…

You can ride his coattails.

Learning from my mistakes I changed my method of attack.

Even now I can’t say for sure if he was trying to undermine me or not, but I quickly figured out it doesn’t matter. My wife’s mood was getting better, and it was obvious it was thanks to Rudy’s antics. And so; why work against them? Striking while the iron was hot, a different plan came to mind. It wasn’t the original, but it worked.

Now Zenith smiles at me when I come to greet her.

That said I could have done without the extra competition.

In any case, I get it. This is one of those; Learn not as I say, but as I do. Right?!

Good work son! You weren’t against me from the start. You were just trying to help me in your own strange way, right?!

I look at him resting comfortably on my wife’s lap.

…yeah… somehow I doubt that.

Well, who cares.

Meddlesome son or not, my wife is smiling and that’s the important thing.

A wife’s smile is a husband’s treasure!

“I’ve taken a break dear, remember?” I pound my chest. “For the next few weeks I’m going to be where I’m needed most. By my wife’s side!”

“Oh I know, but you can still go around the village if you want to, can’t you? I mean,” she runs her hand through Rudy’s hair, his eyes closing while she does so, as a smile spreads over his face.

What are you a puppy?

“Rudy is right here, so you don't need to worry about us. You can continue with your rounds as usual if you want to.”

“...but I want to be here.”

“Hmm~” she taps a finger to her chin with her free hand as she looks to the sky. “I’ll allow it~”

She’s joking, but as usual her jokes are a bit… off. She’s gotten a habit of being bossy as of late.

Rudy what have you done?

Well, it’s all in good fun.

I think?

Frankly, he's insufferable. Always at odds with me, there were plenty of times when I thought he had something against me.

But… he’s also the reason my wife is talking to me in the first place, sooo… It’s complicated. He’s both my strongest ally, and my greatest enemy.

My feelings are mixed to say the least.

I know all boys are supposed to favor their mother’s over their fathers, but it honestly felt like he was sabotaging me. Showing up at the strangest of times, he would try to one up me. It doesn’t help that he’s an adorable child so every time he did it, it only helped strike right at my wife’s heart.

How am I supposed to compete with that?! You don’t!

But… you can ride his coattails.

Letting Rudy do the heavy lifting, I changed my method of attack.

Even now I can’t say for sure if he was trying to undermine me or not, but I quickly figured out it doesn’t matter. My wife’s mood was the only thing that did, and it was obvious that Rudy’s antics were working. And so; why work against them? Striking while the iron was hot, I started to worm my way into Zenith’s heart all over again.

It wasn’t the original plan, but it worked.

That said I could have done without the extra competition.

In any case, I get it. This is one of those; Learn not as I say, but as I do. Right?!

And I did.

Good work son! You weren’t against me from the start. You were just trying to help me in your own strange way, right?!

I look at him resting comfortably on my wife’s lap.

…yeah… I doubt that.

Well, who cares.

Meddlesome son or not, my wife is smiling and that’s the important thing.

A wife’s smile is a husband’s treasure!

“I’ve taken a break dear, remember?” I pound my chest. “For the next few weeks I’m going to be where I’m needed most. By my wife’s side!”

“Oh I know, but you can still go around the village if you want to, can’t you? I mean,” she runs her hand through Rudy’s hair, his eyes closing while she does so, as a smile spreads over his face.

What are you a puppy?

“Rudy is right here, so you don't need to worry about us. You can continue with your rounds as usual if you want to.”

“...but I want to be here.”

“Hmm~” she taps a finger to her chin with her free hand as she looks to the sky. “I’ll allow it~”

She’s joking, but as usual her jokes are a bit… off. She’s gotten in the habit of being bossy as of late.

Rudy what have you done?

Well, it’s all in good fun. I think?

Besides, at least she noticed me.

That’s more than I can say for the other two.

No more turning her head away from me in an angry huff, or slapping my hand away.

Although, my hand still gets slapped if I reach for the more fun parts, but that was to be expected. It’s like we’re lovers all over again. Soon we’ll be under the covers enthralled with each other like the good old days. All we need is a beast lady and elf to come visit us and it would be exactly like then.

I just need a gentle hand.

“May I?” I reached out for her.

She smiles, before turning her head back to Rudy.

“Rudy, can you…” she says sadly.

“Yeah, yeah… I know…” he turns his head towards Lilia. “Lilia?”

“Yes, master,” bowing her head she moves next to him, keeping a steady pace. Shoulder to shoulder, a very intimate distance as they walk casually back home.

"..."

A little 'too' close.

Just a few months ago she was keeping a distance, and now… she's practically fawning over him...

I don’t like it.

I gave her a little wiggle room, and she immediately sinks her claws into him. 

It's frustrating.

I never did find out why she would make a move on my son, but it doesn’t matter anymore. So long as I live and breathe I won’t let that happen, but first I have to get my standing up to insure it.

I know my own value, and sadly it's lower than hers. If I were to confess or insinuate what exactly Lilia's intentions were, Zeny would just think I'm being petty than anything else. For the moment I'll have to hold my tongue.

But seriously why does the woman that seduced me have preferential treatment over her own husband and father of her child?

Oh, that’s right… Rudy.

…definitely my greatest enemy.

I don’t think she’s ensnared her claws deep into him yet, but-

“Dear?” Zenith tilts her head as she’s looking at me.

Oops! Focus on the battles in front of you. For my babies!

“Sorry dear, just lost in thought.”

“Right~ just lost in thought… in the direction of Lilia’s rear...” she looks at me unamused.

“Hey! It isn’t like that!”

“Then how is it like?”

“It’s! It’s… it’s…”

Well… damn…

I’m sorry sweetheart I was too busy wondering how I should separate Rudy from his maid, before that woman lays her claws into him.

She’ll never believe that… would she? No, if she could, I wouldn’t be here. That… and I did take a look.

Personality aside... It is a very nice rear.

“...I’ll try not to look…”

“As long as you get it,” she raises her chin haughtily.

“Soooo… how are my babies doing?” Changing the topic, I knelt down on a knee, copying my son, and placing my head against her belly.

In here, this is my second chance. The start of something great. I know it.

“We’re doing fine. Little one right here,” she patted her stomach affectionately, “has been getting lively lately. I think she’s tired of being all cooped up. She wants to be born and see her big brother with her own eyes.”

“So we’re all set, it's going to be a girl?”

“Of course!”

“What about her daddy?”

“Hmm,” she puts a finger to her chin, “I’ll think about it.”

“Sweetheaaaart?!”

“I’m joking. She can meet her daddy too.”

Dear… when did you become so brazen?

My kind wife has always had a bit of a fire to her, but I only saw it when I did something bad. Lately though it feels like she’s been getting more and more brazen. It’s not to the point I dislike, but it's… different.

I think it’s just her way of getting a little revenge, but it’s still surprising.

She hasn’t run me this ragged since before we became a couple, and I was trying my best to get under her skirt, or out of it. Whichever was easier. Both were difficult. Now I’m just trying to get into the bedroom. Extremely difficult. Unfortunately, I can’t just sneak under her covers like the good old days. Unfortunately.

Husband is lonely…

Dear, can we sleep in the same room yet?

This is our new normal. My wife is as radiant as ever, if a little more fiery. Rudeus seems to be growing more and more spoiled, and has become a mama’s boy, and Lilia is… well she’s there. I fought tooth and nail to get into my family’s circle, and I succeeded, but it’s different then what I remembered. I knew things were going to be like that, but I didn’t think they were going to be ‘this’ different. It’s like I’ve entered a new family. I feel like a stranger in my own house at times. So despite no longer being on the outs with my wife, the scene I just witnessed puts a bitter taste in my mouth. Whenever Lilia is around things become… uncomfortable. She is my wife’s best friend. She is my son’s… maid. She is also, unfortunately, a part of this family.

It’s like I managed to sneak into someone’s bed only to realize it’s the wrong room. Not a pleasant experience I’ll tell you… well, except when it is… but that’s a completely different matter.

A tale of two beauties, and one lucky brat. Sounds familiar.

Tch! I get it now. So this is why people were always whispering for me to die. I can't say I like it, but I get it.

Son… you are walking a path that leads to death.

Joking.

It’s only his mom and maid. If it were anyone else I might even be jealous. I’m not. Definitely not. Why would I be jealous that he’s being pampered? I’m not!

Well, maybe still a little...

But only a little! I mean look at him! A young noble being spoiled rotten by two beauties. So unfair! Learn to share!

Anyways, jokes aside, it’s impossible to be completely jealous of him. After all, one of them is poison.

That’s nothing to envy.

Where was I?

“Dear?” A voice breaks me from my stupor.

“Ah, my bad. I got lost in my own thoughts again."

“Hmm~ twice in one evening... should I be worried?"

“Dear…”

My feelings…

“Hai hai, I got it. I’ll cut down on the jokes. This is our bonding time. Soooo…” she locks her fingers together, and stretches to the sky, arching her back, and giving me a pleasant view, “anything you want to share.”

“Yes... but it can wait. Like you said; this is our bonding time. We can leave the unpleasant stuff for later.”

She looks at me quizzically, a brow raised.

Me and Zenith can now talk to each other like this. It took a little bit of effort, a few underhanded bribes, and a lot of patience, but at the end of the day we’re here. Right where we should be. Last thing I want to do now is remind her of my infidelity.

If only I could get rid of ‘her.’

“Hey?”

“Yes Paul?”

“How are you and Lilia?”

“We’re great!” She smiles beautifully, her voice raising an octave. “I know I've said this before, but Lilia was a godsend. If it wasn’t for her the first time around, who knows how difficult it would be, and this time it’s even better! Having Lilia around from the very beginning really does wonders. Not only do I get a few tips, like sleeping and diet, but it helps having a friend going through the same thing you're going through. We’re like sisters. Oh! I suppose we were always like sisters, but we’re now, like, even more sisters. Best sisters? You know what I'm trying to say? Anyways! It really has been the best, just the other day…”

My wife loves to talk when she’s excited.

In simple terms; they're close. Back to being best friends.

“I see…”

My instinct was right. Her standing is higher than mine. Way higher. It’s a good thing I didn't address the Lilia issue. It’s a losing war.

I didn’t speak any details of our infidelity back then, because well… everything. The reality of everything was so absurd back then that if I had tried to bring it I would have sounded like I was trying to make excuses. It would have brought my own standing even lower, and just gotten us both booted out. After all, between me and Lilia, who would you believe? Lilia’s record was less spotty than mine until that moment. No one ever suspects the maid. I didn’t, and because of it, the details of her little dirty secret go unheard.

It’s annoying that I’m the only one that knows her true colors.

To think her taste would be so… young.

I should have put two and two together when she started hanging over him. She was a royal maid. Lord knows about their habits.

I thought she would have been more professional, but it seems some of the royal’s 'inclinations' might have rubbed off on her.

Subtlety is the key here…

My word is not worth what it used to be. If I’m to have any success in putting a divide between those two, I’ll need to be careful. This could just as easily blow up on my face. I could probably give a hint or two, but in the end I have to let Zenith find things out on her own.

Wow… I almost sound like a noble. My father would be proud. Only one problem. Subtlety isn’t my thing.

Well, I got this far just by talking. How hard could saying a few words be?

“Zenith… don’t you think Lilia spends too much time around Rudy, shouldn’t she be here along your side?”

Preferably at all times. At least until I figure out how to set him up with Sylphy.

“Now now, dear, don’t be like that. Lilia needs to rest too. You’re sounding a lot like Rudy. Let Rudy take care of her.”

“That’s what I’m afrai-wait! What did you just say?!” I jerked up, moving away from her stomach and standing over her.

“Dear?!”

“Ahem,” I cough into my fist.

I lost my composure there for a moment.

“Sorry, you just caught me off guard. I thought you just… never mind. Can you repeat what you just said?”

Just gotta calm down. She doesn’t know. No need to overreact.

She looked at me puzzledly, “...I said... let Rudy take care of her. Rudy is helping Lilia around the house right now. Even Lilia needs some rest. Just let them be.”

Like hell I will! Hold it… hold it in…

“Eh… um… is that really necessary, how hard could housework be?”

She glares at me.

“...I’ll pretend you didn’t just say that, but Lilia’s a pregnant woman just like me. It doesn’t hurt to have a helping hand.” She elbows me in the ribs.

Why?!

“Besides,” she shrugs her shoulders, “a little magic goes a long way.  Water magic to clean the floors, fire magic to burn the waste, and wind magic to air out the building. Oh! Have you noticed?!” She looks at me with a shine in her eyes. “The house smells like flowers doesn’t it! It’s great!”

“I-I got it.”

She’s getting excited again.

“Anyways,” she calms down, “He’s been a real…” she snaps her fingers and points to me, winking as she does so, “miracle worker!”

She… jokes?

“Ha… ha… I get it,” I forced a laugh, causing her to pout.

“...Rudy would have thought it was funny…” she turns her head and grumbles under her breath.

I’m sorry sweetheart, but we can’t all have the humor of a seven year old.

“It was funny! I swear!”

“Liar…” she mutters.

“...sorry.”

“It’s fine… that’s what Rudy and Lilia are for,” she pouts. “Now let them be, and let them enjoy themselves while we enjoy ourselves”

“Fine. And they’re doing… what exactly?”

“Something about spring cleaning. I think Rudy said they were going to take out the trash, but they said it would be best to do it when you’re not around.

“When I was- Why should that matter?!”

She covers her ears with her hands.

“How should I know?” She releases her hands from her ears. “Probably, because you'd be too loud if I had to guess. What was that?”

“N-nothing-”

Just a little on edge.

“Don’t nothing me. This isn’t the first time you’ve been like this.”

“It’s like…” she looks at me as if I’m scum.

“S-sweetie.”

“Are you that intent on having her by your side?”

“T-that’s not it at all!”

“I see,” she closes her eyes and looks away. “I’ll trust your word… for now…”

“Hai…”

She turns, opening her eyes, and giving me a raised eyebrow.

“Yes, I know what that means. I cracked you and Rudy’s magic language. You can only say the same gibberish so many times before you figure it out.”

Although I still don't understand half the things that come out of his mouth. What does Raichu or Sheeneh even mean?

“I see, well I hope you,” she snaps her fingers, turning back to a jovial tone, “can just sit down and relax then. This is supposed to be our wife and husband bonding time.”

I like the sound of that.

“Hai. I’ll do my best!”

“You’re yelling again~”

“...hai, I’ll do my best…” I whispered.

“Your best? Damn. Well… I guess it’ll have to do,” she says.

“Hai…”

She looked at me once, before looking down again, “...that was a joke…”

“...”

…maybe I haven’t cracked their code just yet.

“Ahem,” she coughs into her fist, her eyes closed, and her cheeks a little rosy. “Anyways, just sit back, and enjoy your time with your queen, while Rudy plays housekeeper with Lilia. It’s not every day everyone gets to relax like this.”

I open my mouth to interrupt.

“Yes, I’m including Rudy. Believe it or not, he’s a very caring child. He loves helping around the house. Just let them be. Did you know he quilted us a couple of small blankets for the babies? I wonder what else he’s gotten ready for.”

“Yeah, I know.”

He stole those from me! That little backstabber. I’m the one that taught him!

I didn’t think the blankets he was making were for the kids, but for himself and/or Sylphy.

You took my moment Rudy!

“That’s my son for you. So…” I struggle to finish the sentence. Opportunistic?

“Astute?” Zenith offered.

“That’s one way of wording it.”

“Yup, he’s really stepped it up quite a bit. Just look around,” she made a show of the garden we’re sitting in.

“I see?”

“Do you? What’s so different?”

“...”

“Sigh, you know, I know, you don’t know a thing about gardening dear. You don’t have always have to pretend,” she says.

“Sorry,” I bowed my head in apology.

“Well as long as you get it. Lying is bad. Anyways, as I was saying. Rudy has made some improvements around the garden. Do you see the fence?”

“Ah, I do… but-”

“It’s rhetorical, dear. No need for pretending. It’s already been established that you don’t know. Now as I was saying, the plants along the wall are among the more stubborn types, so Rudeus tied them to a stick so they can grow straight, instead of spreading everywhere, and fight each other off.”

“Oh well that was nice of him.”

“Of course. I even taught him my magic touch.”

“You taught him your what?”

Is that a joke?

“Well… I tried to, but it didn’t quite work out. Still though, we still help each other flow our mana through the ground. Did you know his reserves are gigantic. I’m already working a sweat after one round, and Rudy is barely breathing hard. Our efforts paid off greatly though. The garden is so lovely now.” She made a show of the garden once more.

“Oh? Ooooh! So that’s what you meant.”

“What do you mean?”

“No nothing it’s just-sorry just stupid thoughts.”

God dammit Elinalise. Why did you have to sprout into my head right now of all times? Magic touch… that can mean something completely different in certain circles.

“Anyways, everything is so green and lively now. It reminds me of back home a bit. What a beautiful sight?” she smiles as she pats her stomach. “Our baby is really lucky. This time around, both of us,” she looks me in the eye, “both of us are ready. She’s going to be born into a loving household. Let’s not make a mistake shall we?”

“...was that a rhetorical question?”

 She gives me a stoney look.

“I’m joking! Joking! But you’re right,” I reach out toward her hand and hold it. “This time around we’re ready.”

I’ll make it so.

Fatherhood was difficult the first time around. So excited, so nervous, so a lot of things, but I couldn’t wait for Rudy to be born. There wasn’t a doubt in my mind at the time that I was going to be a good father. That I was going to be everything my father wasn’t.

I definitely wasn't my father. I didn’t make his mistakes.

I made my own.

Honestly, I didn’t know what I was getting into. Parenthood, the first time around was not what I expected. I kept behaving as I usually did, and winged it, trusting my instincts, and hoping it would work out. It did, most of the time, but when it comes to women… those same instincts betrayed me.

I thought I had mastered my self restraint. That I wouldn't touch another woman, but… when I looked at Lilia back then, and saw her smiling, it woke up feelings in me I haven’t felt in years. I was reminded of someone long ago, someone so far away, and so... close. I got greedy and reached for more.

Only to get stung when I did.

I didn’t like her much back then. She was always the bossy wallflower of the Garidia household. Always telling me what to do despite having already surpassed her in talent. She was spirited, smiling, hard working, and… untouchable. Despite that though, I would still say I was interested in her.

I tended to think a lot with my lower head, then my higher one back then, at least more than I do now.

She was like an idol, shining brightly and smiling. She never shared that smile with me, so… when I saw her like that, so close, and within my reach. I got greedy.

I reached out, and took a bite of her fruit. And for the time being... it was delicious. Like a fine wine her taste was better than before.

But now... now I realize even poison can taste good.

The expression sweet poison comes to mind.

This time it will be different. I know the value of what I can lose, and I have no intention of reaching for spoilt fruit.

“Honey,” I put a hand under her chin, “may I?”

Tilting her chin I point it towards my face, and get closer reaching her lips. There is no need to reach for other fruit, when their is something just as sweet right here. Getting closer, and closer, I am upon her lips. I can feel her breath on me, and…

Smooch.

I kiss her… cheek.

She turned her head away from me at the last second.

Well… better than last time…

“So… we’re not there yet?”

…so close…

“....I’m sorry… just… not yet,” she whispers, her face hidden as she’s looking down. “I don’t… it’s just… it’s just not right at the moment.”

“Well, a kiss is still a kiss so that’s a win in my book,” I kiss her once again, but on the forehead instead.

I’ll take what I can get. Just being able to do this much is a step in the right direction.

She gives me a bashful smile, and a raised eyebrow. “A win of what out of curiosity?”

Walking around the chair until I’m standing behind her I wrap my hands around her, resting them under her breast, and chin on her shoulder, breathing in her scent. “You’ll see…” I say huskily into her ear.

“Hah…” she tilts her head to the side, “I liked it better when you were walking around eggshells.”

I still am. I’m just better at noticing the eggshells.

“Hey dear…” I whisper.

“Hmm?”

“How about a little massage? Like last time, for old times sake.”

Big breasted women have back problems. Pregnant women have back problems. And Zenith falls under both.

Last birth, when things were more peaceful we had a lot of fun until Rudy’s birth. Zenith’s switch was flipped, and she was quite raunchy at the end of it. Every night after a good massage, she would say I’m too tired, but eventually with a little convincing we’d have a little fun. Everyone wins. She got a massage, and I got her.

It’s a shame we didn’t get to do some breast play this time around, but I can still set up for the future, right? Right?!

You know… eventually.

I waited this long. What’s another month or two?

“Like old times…” she looks at me with a glare.

Ah… I hope she doesn’t remember how those old times usually end.

“Um… you know, just a nice massage…”

“...”

She turns away, and moves her hair aside, exposing her nape. “...if you let your hands wander. You're cleaning the house instead of Rudy,” she turns her head to the side, giving me a side glance. “Well?”

“Yes ma’am!”

Thank you instincts! You haven’t let me down just yet.

Putting my hands on her shoulders, I started kneading her neck.

“Mmh… ah, that’s it… mmm… that’s good…” She moans a little as she arches her neck a little as I massage her shoulders.

It’s too bad she’s sitting.

If we were in the bedroom, I could convince her to take off her gown, and massage her back. I’d still be banned from letting my hand wander into more intimate areas, but I’d at least have a nice view.

Looking down though… I can see my wife’s breast going up and down as her breathing becomes more erratic. Erotic. Pregnancy is a good look for her. Her already large breast are even larger.

This position has its own benefits as well.

“This is nice isn’t it,” I whisper in her ear. “Just you and me, and nature. Isn’t this great?”

“Is that a rhetorical question?” She asks, “but yes… mmh, it's nice. It’s almost as… mmh… almost as good as Rudy’s…”

“Huh?”

Wait… what?

I freeze.

“Paul?” She questions, turning her head, and giving me a side glance once more, “why did you stop?”

“...nothing, it's just. Did you say Rudy?”

“Hmm? Yeah, I told you, didn't I? Rudy’s been very attentive lately. Well~ he’s been giving me massages every night before we go to sleep.”

“Of course he has,” I sigh, recontinuing to rub her shoulders.

Because why not. Of course he will rub your shoulders. Every. Single. Time. Rudy this, Rudy that. Is there anything he can’t do? How the hell is he one upping me without being here. Just give me a win already! Argh, that son of mine... and here I thought we finally had a moment to ourselves.

“For how long?”

“Mmh… about two months.”

“He really is a mama’s boy isn't he. You know you can tell him no, right? You don’t need to humor him every time he has one of his schemes. He’s fighting all my battles, and here I thought we finally had a special moment.”

“Are you complaining about having your hands on me?”

“No, I'm complaining about not having you all to myself.”

“Well too bad! You’re just going to need to get used to it. I'm a mother of two now.”

“It’s not that. It’s just,” I leaned in closer to whisper it near her ear, “I thought I could do something for you without Rudy competing against me. Lord knows how much time he spent with us. Always cuddling his way next to you. I swear he’s gotten overly attached to you. Don’t you think you’re spoiling him too much. I mean he’s seven years old, he’s going to need to leave the-”

“No.”

“...sweetie?”

“No I don’t. He’s my baby, and always will be. He’ll never be too old to be spoiled. Besides…” she plays with her hair, twirling it, as she looks off to the side, “he’s been spoiling me way more than I’ve been spoiling him,” she whispers.

“Yeah, but all birds have to leave the nest. He can’t just sleep in your bed till he’s fifteen. He’ll have to-”

“Why not?”

What?

“Why not? What do you mean why not? What kind of boy sleeps in their parent’s bed ‘till they’re fifteen. Even seven is pushing it. You're cuddling him a bit too much. Besides, wouldn’t you rather sleep with me than with Rudy.”

“...”

“...sweetheart?”

She turns her head looking in the distance. “What’s wrong with wanting to cuddle next to your loved ones?”

“No, there's nothing wrong with it, but everyone has to grow some time. At this rate he’ll grow up to be a useless adult.”

“He’s anything but useless! He takes care of the garden. He takes care of me. He takes care of Lily. He takes care of his family! It’s only natural that I would want to take care of him in return!”

“Even if you say that. There's a limit. You’re just spoiling him.”

“It’s called love!”

“It’s called babying!”

“...”

It’s called denial.

I smartly keep my mouth shut.

I know what she’s saying, and there's some merit to it, but I can’t agree to it. I can’t let him make my mistakes. It’s a little late, but it’s time to have a heart to heart.

“Sweetheart listen, I know I screwed up, previous mistakes aside-”

She opens her mouth ready to retort, but I can’t let her interrupt at this point int time, or else we might just start fighting again.

“Mistakes aside!” I put a hand on her shoulder. “I know I screwed up. I have messed up a lot in my life… but that just makes it easier for me to avoid certain mistakes, and I can see what's going on here. I’m not wrong. Rudy… I see a lot of myself in him. He’s pushing Sylphy away, and dedicating his life to you… to her, and it’s admirable, but… you can’t be his everything. All birds have to leave the nest, but first they have to want to leave. If you keep cuddling him, you’re going to stunt his growth. He’s had the talent for sword and magic since he was three, but what good is all the talent in the world if you don’t use it? A bird that can’t fly is just food. He needs to-”

She slaps my hand away.

“...stop talking down to me like that. I’m not a fool. So stop treating me like one. I know all that. I know he is going to grow. That he’s going to be an adult. But he hasn’t. Not yet. Do you even listen to yourself? He’s seven for Millis sake. These are his boyish years. I’m supposed to spoil him. I want to spoil him. I’m going to love him. I’m going to hold him. And yes I’m going to sleep in the same bed with him. Because unlike a certain someone, he doesn’t make me so frustrated that I can’t sleep calmly next to him. He doesn’t lie to me. He doesn’t make me cry. He doesn’t make me worry about the future… about our future.” She gives me a stern look. “He makes me happy. It’s all just simple.” She stands up in a fervor. “Do you want to know why I spoil him? Because I can! One day he’s going to be embarrassed that I hugged him too much. One day he’s going to not want to be spoiled so he can prove how independent he is. One day he’s going to be embarrassed that he slept in his own parent’s bed for so long, and too big to receive hugs from his mother. But that day isn’t today! Sooo! Yes, I’d rather sleep with him than you.”

Turning her back to me she settles her blouse as she turns her back to me. “We’re done here. I’m going to go for a walk. We’ll have dinner in a few hours. Do as you please.”

She walks away.

Looking at her figure disappearing in the distance, I can’t help but be at a loss for words.

“...what just happened?” I think out loud. “I’m… I’m not wrong… am I? This is… this is a problem isn’t it.” I massage my forehead. “I’m gonna need to have a talk with Rudy again aren’t I?”

Truly my greatest ally… and my greatest enemy.

Looking around, I’m all alone.

Standing in the middle of the garden. I'm alone... again.

“I need a drink.”
///

Lilia[pov]

“How about here?” I pointed to a wall. “No, here!” I scurried to the opposite wall in the room, “or maybe…here?” I turned to look at the window, and put my hands together forming a rectangle as I formed an imaginary canvas with my hands. Moving my hands around, I move from wall to wall, as I try to find the best picturesque setting for my child to sleep in. I want to bring the image in my mind into reality.

I can’t decide. I’ve been running around the room like crazy, moving back and forth, trying to figure out the best place for everything.

“Um… Lilia… wasn’t this where I had it originally?” Rudeus queried, while holding a cabinet in his arms.

“Oh…”

It was.

“M-m-my apologies master. I'm just a little… excited.”

“Yeah, I can see that,” He walks over a few feet to the doorway, and places it down, “feel it too,” he exhales and rolls his shoulders. “How about we put it here for now? You know… until we’ve made up our minds where to place it.”

“Sorry…”

“It’s fine. I get it. You’re about to be a mom, and you're a little bit nervous. It’s just…” he glances at me, raising an eyebrow, “different. I didn’t expect you to be so… lively. It’s refreshing,” he shrugs, “if not a little bit exhausting.”

“Is there any mother that wouldn’t be excited to see their newborn?”

“True~ but…”

“But?”

“You’re usually so… stoic.”

Stoic? That’s one way of saying it… I'm just so…so… SO! I don’t know. Jubilant? I am jubilant. It feels odd to think, let alone say, even to me, but the most appropriate.

I am gleeful? No, that’s not right either. How about… ecstatic? I am ecstatic…

“Pfft-” Rudeus snorts as if hearing my thoughts. Looking away from me he leans against the cabinet. “I-I’m s-sorry, you’re just looking so cute right now you’re catching me off guard.”

Ah… there he goes again.

Another accidental confession.

He’s slipping.

More and more lately, occurrences like this have become a regularity. It’s an unexpected change, but not an unwelcome one. A peek into Rudeu’s heart.

I don’t know how much Rudeus is aware, but lately he’s been more and more honest to who he is. He always was, as he never hid anything from me, but there was a… distance. A wall within him which no one could cross. Not even me. As if he had an unconscious barrier around his heart, where he just didn’t show certain aspects of himself to anyone. Always so careful. Even through his impetuous facade.

I won’t go so far as to call him disingenuous, but more that it felt like he was always thinking. Too busy living in the future to live properly in the now.

Madame will never know. No one will. As this version of Rudy is the only version of Rudy they’ve ever seen, but as someone that’s been with him since the beginning, at his worst, and at his best, I can feel the difference.

It is slight, but it is there.

The old Rudeus would not have called me cute. He would have called me beautiful, and that wouldn’t have been the end of it. He would have grabbed me in a princess carry, and carried me away to some preplanned destination, and talk, or try to, talk his way into my heart. Only after such a grand display would he start speaking naturally.

Honestly, he didn’t need to try that hard, but then again… it’s only because he tried as hard as he did that I even gave him a chance. So maybe he did…

The me from then is also different from the me of now.

In any case, because of all the thought he put into such plans it made catching him off guard all the more effective. Everything had to go perfect. Always. Everything always had to go according to plan.

At least that's my image of him.

As if he had a script written inside his head, and if one were to deviate from that… Like a rookie actor making a performance, he would… improvise.

The results would vary, and I can’t deny that at times I might have followed his pace, but it doesn’t always have to be a grand scheme. Sometimes I just want to sit next to you.

Luckily that seems to be in the past now... as lately the cracks has started to show. The barrier around his heart is finally going down, and he’s talking freely. Less, and less thinking, and more doing.

Usually such things would be seen as a demerit. Such impetuous behavior usually does nothing, but brings ruin to oneself or to others.

Example Paul.

Another… myself.

But in everyday life interactions such as this; it’s perfect. I get to feel his genuine feelings that he usually hides. No one second pauses as he figures how to woo me. No thought out plan. No lost look where he’s obviously thinking hard on what to do next.

Just an unfiltered impulsive response.

And right now he thinks I’m cute.

…cute…

“You’re not so bad yourself…” I muttered.

…and I might have gotten in the habit of playing along with him… again.

Perhaps I am the one not thinking.

We've been here before, but it's different now. This time I... I am not against… anything.

“Did you say something?”

“N-Nothing, just admiring the room.”

“Well,” he looks around, “I did put a lot of effort into it. I’m glad it’s finally going to good use.”

“Indeed.”

“It’s too bad about Paul though,” he says.

I looked at him with a dubious gaze, which he returned with a reserved expression, only for it to break soon after, his juvenile smirk sprouting forth.

“Ok, maybe not. I’d say turning his room into a nursery is appropriate.”

“In that we are in agreement.”

Currently Rudeus, and I are in the guest room. Otherwise known as Paul’s room, and we have been redecorating it. By redecorating I mean moving his stuff out. It is to be the baby's room after all.

With Madame’s permission that is.

It is currently quite desolate, having put most of our energy in clearing it out, and having difficulties figuring out where to put certain furnishings. As such, except for a small pile of nurseries and fairytales, laid by the wall, and the cabinet blocking the doorway, the room only has the main accessory that all nunneries should have; a crib.

It’s quite homely.

The hard part I would say was clearing out the room, but truth be told, I didn’t do much. Rudeus’ did all the heavy lifting. With the baby’s birth nearing ever closer, Rudeus has been more and more overbearing, and refused to let me carry anything heavy.

Although…

An overbearing Rudy has its own appeal.

Soon… soon this room will become quite lively.

I can’t help, but think as I try to picture the future in this room. Me, my child, madame’s child, and Rudy visit from time to time. It’s all so homely.

Truthfully speaking we didn’t need to clean out the guest room. This is still a noble household at the end of the day, even if it’s more modest than what you would expect from a noble, it’s still on the larger side. There's still space for the children. That said Paul agreed to it anyway.

He seems to be under the impression that with all the rooms taken, and things improving with him and madam, that we’ll be clearing out this room, and with his former room vacated, he would be reentering the master bedroom.

It is a reasonable deduction. It is also false.

Rudy has been sleeping in Zenith’s room for the last month so there's one more empty room in the household besides the guest room, and that is Rudy’s old bedroom.

I wonder why he thought he would be moving back into the main bedroom?

All I said was; that the Madame is looking toward the new sleeping arrangement. I wonder what could have been misconstrued from that?

Well, it doesn’t matter. It’s only Paul.

Tee-hee?

I wonder if that’s how you use that phrase?

I glance at Rudy.

…he’ll tease me if I ask.

“Something on your mind?” he asked me.

I whip my face away before he can read it.

“No, nothing at all.”

“Suuuure.”

He walks towards the middle of the room, looking all around him, before a wide smile starts spreading on his face. A habit I’ve seen come more naturally to him. “It’s almost time isn’t it?”

“Indeed.”

I pat my stomach.

Even without looking at my face he can read my mind.

I can’t wait for her to be born.

I take a glance at the crib made.

It is not the most beautiful of amenities, but it was made with care. Paul also made one, and I loathe to admit… it is better made than Rudeus’s, but…

I’d rather my child sleep in something made from Rudy’s love than Paul’s.

Incidentally Paul’s cradle has been placed in Zenith’s room instead, and that is what I meant by sleeping arrangement, but oh well. It’s only a small misunderstanding.

Perhaps Paul can sleep in the crib?

Tee-hee…

…perhaps I’ve spent too much time with Zenith.

That room is for the head of the household. The true one. As such only Rudy, and whoever he wants in that room, can sleep in it. Even if on paper Rudeus is ‘technically’ not my master. In my eyes he is. Rudeus’s word is law as far I’m concerned.

But I’ll refrain from telling him.

He’ll get a big head.

“You don’t think you’re overdoing it master. I think Sylphy was sad when you told her you wouldn't be playing with her these next few days."

“Overdoing what?”

“You know. The effort, the moving,” I directed my neck to this room in question, “the everything. You can still enjoy yourself with your friend.”

“I am enjoying myself. Besides I’m not gone. I’m just setting my priorities. She can still come and visit. I just can’t go out and play for a couple months. It will flash by in a second.”

I see.

‘In a second…’

“Lilia?”

“Yes?” I'm broken from my stupor.

“How about these?”

“Those are…”

The series of tiles he made earlier for Zenith for the hangman game. It was only just yesterday. Time sure passes. Regardless of people’s wants. It is a fun game, but… the implications are rather morbid. I don’t feel it’s a game suited for toddlers.

“I don’t think such a gruesome game is appropriate for children, Rudeus.”

“…it’s not gruesome… but just to be safe, I took out the hangman pieces. Without it, it’s just a set of tiles with pictures attached to them. It will help them learn their alphabets.”

“I see… regardless, I think it’s best that the set stays in the living room for now. Please move it later. After all, the children won’t be able to read for some time.”

“Ah…” his cheeks turn rosy as blood flows to them, “you’re right. Guess I’m getting ahead of myself… again,” he scratches at his cheek with a finer.

“It’s fine Rudy.”

I’m used to it.

It’s a shame to admit, but… in these later months, I’ve started to understand Zenith’s appeal about ordering him around, if only a little, it is… intoxicating.

…just a little…

This is just conjecture, and I haven't dared ask him, but… If I were to tell him that it would be good for the baby if he… if we… um… slept in the same bed. Platonically that is! It would promote healthy growth for the baby. He would probably do it.

Of course I won’t ask it. That goes a little beyond a simple tease. But I do think he would fall for it.

However…

“Master Rudeus, can you move that crib a little away from the wall? I don’t want to risk something falling over, and into the crib.”

“Ah right.” he starts to move the crib. Sliding it a foot away from the wall.

“A little more centered. I want the sunlight to be able to illuminate it.”

“Sure.”

Shamefully I must admit, I want him to dote on me a little longer.

Madame was right.

How cute~

“Lilia… you’re enjoying yourself aren’t you,” he looks at me with steady eyes.

Ah. Did it show on my face?

“Even I can get excited at times, you know. This is a joyous occasion.”

“You're definitely right about that,” he says. “That said, we finished earlier than we thought we would. What do we do for the next hour?”

I looked at the word tiles he brought over.

“Hangman?”

“How gruesome! What did I do to you?!”

“...”

“Well, I thought it was funny.”

“Pf… pfft… pha ha ha ha…” After trying to hold it for a second, I started laughing heartily. Tears escaping from the corners of my eyes. It’s all so ridiculous.

“Um… Lilia… you alright?”

“I’m f-fine… everything… is just,” I glance at him, my cheeks hurting with how strongly I’m grinning, “...perfect.”

To be here. To be with him. To be joking, and teasing. It’s all… more than I could have ever hoped for.

“You really are lively today.”

“Thanks to you.”

Truly.

If this was us just four months ago, I would be worried about bringing a baby into this world, but now…

Gathering my courage, I walk up to him, before running my hand through his hair and looking into his eyes. He has his father’s emerald eyes, but unlike his, I actually enjoy looking into his. They're vibrant, and filled with so many hidden emotions.

If it’s for an hour, I can easily spend my time diving into his soul.

“The current me is really looking forward to bringing a baby into this world. My earlier anxieties are over with. As long as you and Zenith are here. I’m confident she’ll be born into a happy household,” releasing Rudy’s hair. I reached for his hand, and placed it upon my stomach, “I can’t wait for you to meet her.”

I wonder if she’ll have green eyes like his, or  maybe lilac like mine.

"Yeah... I totally get that," he says as we share a moment. In the ambience of the room we enjoy ourselves in quiet contemplation for a while. A moment just for us. “So you think it’s going to be a girl as well?” He questions.

“Indeed.”

“Because of me?”

“You are only confirming what I already knew?”

“Oh, and how’s that?”

“It’s simple.” I adjust my glasses. “It’s maid intuition.”

“Maid intuition… sounds scary.”

“Very. It allows me to see my master’s future actions, and be ready for them.”

“Is that so? What am I going to do next?”

“You’re going to be insufferable.”

Although, I don’t need any special skills to predict that. It’s simply a fact. Removing Rudeus’s Rude tendencies is removing the Rude in Rudeus. He would simply be… eus.

“You’ve gotten quite cheeky haven’t you.”

“I’m also right.”

“Ha ha, right are you? Well, we wouldn’t want you to be a liar. In fact…” He looks up at me, and narrows his eyes, before…

Placing his head upon my stomach.

What is he-

I felt his head upon my stomach, and was confused for a moment, before I looked down upon him and noticed 'that' devilish smirk across his face.

Ah… he’s feeling challenged… and when Rudy feels challenged... he does something-

He starts ruffling my dress, reaching for the folds, and starts working the lining. Finding the buttons he starts unbuttoning them…

-crazy.

“Eh? R-Rudy?!”

For a moment I regain my bearings, and call out his name. All I need to do is to tap him on the head, and he will cease. He will… cease.

I did not.

Time freezes and we are looking into each other’s eyes.

We ceased, but… I haven’t stopped him.

Is th-this it. Is this happening?!

“Hah… hah…”

I, should I-

And before I can even think. The decision is taken away from me. A devilish smile sprouts on Rudy’s face, and time resumes.

He moves his hands ever so slowly unbuttons a fold, and reveals my stomach, exposing my belly to the world. His hands run over it gently... tenderly, slowly… sensually, as if he’s giving me a massage like days gone by. His hands set me ablaze. There is no warmth from magic, but there is heat. My body warms, and my skin begins to sprout goosebumps as his gentle touch drives my body into a state of confusion. Bending his head, ever so slowly, he nears my now exposed stomach, and...  kisses it.

“...mch…”

A short while later, only the sound of lips parting is heard, as the wet kiss he gave me is released. It was but a second. It was simple. It was…

“Well… did you see that coming…” he looks at me with a fire in his eyes. A fire I haven’t seen since… our date.

Crazy…

Gulp. I swallow my breath, and… desires as well. This is dangerous. 

I want-

I stop such thought before it can continue.

“Hah… no… I... didn’t…”

The more you try to understand Rudy the less you do.

No, I always knew he was spontaneous. This was always his natural reaction, but just because you know someone is spontaneous doesn’t mean you know what that spontaneous action will be. It’s like predicting where thunder will strike.

I’ve been struck.

I can see the clouds, but all I can do is weather the storm, or… be caught in it.

Blinking his eyes repeatedly he comes to a realization of what he just did, and slowly steps away. His demeanor changed as suddenly as it first turned, his face turning red, and he now looks bashful as he holds an arm to himself, looking into an empty corner.

He’s back to being a tamed cub.

I can tell by looking at his red face that he’s extremely embarrassed by his own actions, but he did it anyway. I can read him well enough that I can see the gears turning in his head, as he thinks on the repercussions of his actions. But I wish he didn't.

He is difficult.

Now that I think about it… Madame did say, it felt like at times he was competing with his father. That she felt Rudy might be the competitive type, and be competing for her affection.

It should have been obvious, and I do know him the best, but… he is like lightning.

If you know Rudy’s buttons… one really can push him, and… he’ll push back. If I were to push him a certain way, and… he would push back… I would… let him push…

…I should stop this line of thinking. Mixing Hormones with actual feelings leads to ‘complicated’ emotions... and even more complicated scenarios.

My face is on fire.

“M-Master, p-perhaps we should rest. I-I have been running you ragged.”

“Ahem,” he takes the lifeline, and coughs into his fist, “ah y-yeah. You’re right. I could-we could, use a moment… to um… cool our head.”

Walking side by side we sit by the windowsill, we sit, resting our shoulders against each other.

“...”
“...”

We can both be difficult.

I can shamelessly admit that much.

“Sorry… about um… ‘that.’ You know how I sometimes, um… get carried away. You can slap me if I do something you don’t like.”

I never said I disliked it.

“I’ll remember that.”

“Soooo, Maid intuition, that’s a powerful skill,” he scratches his cheek as he changes topics. “Does it tell you anything else; like what color hair your daughter is going to have?”

It took him all but two seconds to raise his barrier back up.

“Probably red I suppose.”

“She’ll be very lucky if that is the case,” he reaches for me, his hand outstretched, before stopping, and lowering it.

He’s thinking again.

Reaching out I seize the opportunity, before it can run from me.

Stop thinking will you. Just do.

Locking palms with him, we intertwine our fingers.

“It’s also telling me,” I whispered, placing one hand under his chin, “you wouldn’t mind me being a little bit selfish, and do this,” leaning closer, I close my eyes and kiss him on the side of his face. Pressing my lips to his corner cheek, and holding it for as long as I can, for a second is never enough.

“...”

Pushing away from him I open my eyes and see his calm composure as he sits stock still.

It is a farce.

My hand is still under his chin, and I can feel his pulse beating.

I must shamefully admit. I like the idea that I can set his heart ablaze with but a kiss.

“...scary,” he mutters. Looking down, a small flush is starting to spread on his face.

How unexpected. How fun.

“Thank you.”

A second is a long time if you use it properly.

Going back to the tranquil silence we sit next to each other enjoying this moment of bliss. In this quiet solace no one can see us. I can act without impunity. And all I want… is to be next to him.

I look around the near empty room imagining the possibilities.

We can simply stay here for an hour doing nothing. That is fine as well. Let's rest our weary hearts.

“She’s going to love it here,” he states.

“Yeah…”

My daughter; I wonder what I should name her? Should it be fitting a noble, or should I name her after someone I knew? Who would that be? The head maid responsible for my training? My grandmother? Would naming her after Zenith be too much? Or… should I?

I look towards Rudy by my side.

“…”

When in doubt, trust your heart.

“Rudeus, you’re confident it’s going to be a girl aren’t you.”

“Yup.”

“I see… then.... you must have put quite some thought into girls' names.”

“I have…”

“Then would you…” I lean in closer, pressing my shoulder against him, “would you please do me the honor of naming her?”

“You… want me to name her?” He looks at me for confirmation.

There's nothing to think about. It is obvious.

“Yes.”

“I… have a few ideas, but wouldn’t you-”

“I would love it if you named her,” I place my hand on top of his, leaning closer to him.

This is what I want.

“Oh… ok,” he blinks a couple times as I’ve been keeping him on his guard, “well… if it’s alright.”

“It is.”

Turning away from my eyes, he looks upward in the ceiling, before finally speaking, “...Aisha. I think If she’s a girl, Aisha would be a good name.”

“Aisha…” I test the name on my lips.

That’s the name of a girl I used to train with in my youth.

“I like it. I’m sure she will too. Thank you Rudy.”

“Don’t mention it. I’m sure you would have come up with a name just as good.”

“Maybe,” I lean on him, “but it wouldn’t be the name you’ve chosen.”

He turns to me, and we stare into each other's eyes one more time and…

It happened.

His barrier is down…

Staring into each other’s eyes, we get caught up in the moment, and move in for a kiss. His hands move towards me, they cusp the sides of my face, and bring me closer to him. As we lock lips. His breathing is upon me. His heartbeat, my heartbeat, their racing, and I can’t tell whose it is anymore. I don’t care anymore. It doesn’t matter. We press on. Our souls intertwine through our lips.

Just like that. It fits. It all fits. At that moment, there is no need to think. No more barriers. We just… are.

And as quick as it began, it ended.

An eternity in a second.

He releases me, and we’re free to look at each other once more. Breathing slightly off, and eyes focus intently on the other.

It was just a chaste kiss. Nothing like our first, which was an overwhelming cocktail of emotions; lust, worry, confusion, fear… love. It was simplicity at its finest. Simply affection.

Just… pure.

We simply wanted to express our feelings.

We weren’t trying to figure out an answer to a question.

We were the answer.

“Rudeus…”

“Lilia…”

We stay there next to each other staring into each other’s eyes waiting for the other to move. The sunlight behind us blesses us with its rays. Our hearts are beating rapidly. My hands are no longer upon him, so it is simply my intuition, but I only need to look into his eyes to know that he is feeling the same way I am.

Everything is so complicated, but this is our little solace, and right here it’s fine to be ourselves. Right here, no one can hear us.

Perhaps this was fate.

“I-”

“Lilia, my shoulders are a little stiff,” before I can start my sentence Rudeus strikes first.

“Indeed.”

“I heard massages are a really good way to relieve stress.”

“Indeed.”

Grabbing my hands, he holds them while looking me in the eye. “Lilia, Can you give me a massage?”

“...indeed.”

When in doubt, trust your master. Let him make the first move. I’ve already decided to follow, and I… want to.

At least that’s what my intuition is telling me.

Or is it my heart?

Separating our hands, he stands, stepping a couple feet away from me, before proceeding to take off his shirt, revealing his sweaty chiseled figure, his chest rising up and down as his breathing settles down. His body more mature than it has any right to be. His eyes still focused on me. The eyes of a wolf. Their usual pristine glow now laid with a layer of desire.

Will I be devoured?

“Whew,” he exhales, before throwing his shirt to the corner, and turning his back to me “should I lay down, or turn around?”

“Whichever you prefer.”

“Well… we don’t have towels to lay down. So I’ll stand this time.”

“This time?” I get closer, laying my hands on top of his shoulders, and proceed to kneading his muscles, and tendons, loosening them.

“This time,” he holds his hand over mine, gently, as he whispers, “Your next.”

Indeed.


AN: Well... that was a thing, Anyways, this chapter and the next three chapters all take place over the course of one day, and are really, REALLY, long, but if you can I highly recommend reading them in one sitting. 

Obviously not now, since it's not up, but if you're reading this in the future, please do so (35-38).

On that note; this chapter was ridiculously hard to edit as their were many things to get into. If theirs anything I've learned from editing is that two great scenes don't make a good one if they don't flow together. You just get crap. And as such had to delete gold, for silver, because silver fits it better.

Anyways, leave your thoughts in the review section.

23