Chapter 1 – The Makings of a Golden Finger
231 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The world had just entered the era of VR. The Cataclysmic Era was the first immersive VR Game and quickly became the world-leading VR Game of the era. The game was 100% realistic and dependent on the player's own reaction and experiences to influence battles.

Of course, the pain level and all the five senses were adjustable between 0-100%, otherwise, not many would be able to handle battles.

Like in any other game, players have always been conscious of their appearances. New players in The Cataclysmic Era were only allowed to make limited customization to their character at the character creation page. The reason the game company game was that they did not have enough time and manpower to expand the range of customization as the game was just recently released.

Mu Cheng, a veteran game programmer employed to the very company, naturally knew that statement was just bullshit. The game company's goal was just to milk the players dry of all their money.

Why was Mu Cheng so sure about it? Because Mu Cheng was very talented, he was assigned with making an in-game character customizer tool for VIP Players.

The requirement for the tool was that except for the new common appearances, the rest costs AP(Allocation Points). Even their race could be changed, but of course, the player would need to have completed special quests and achievements before they were allowed to change race.

Human, elves, dark elves, dwarves, goblin, orc, dragon etc... whether monsters or what not. All was available, the only catch was that it costs tons of AP and you had to have unlocked the race before you could change race.

The goal was naturally to have rich VIP Players slowly unlock one race after another and have them continuously change their races. And each time they change their races, they naturally want to look special, as such the players would spend tons of extra AP just for appearances.

AP was non-tradeable, and in order for the company to not be criticized, they planned for there to be two methods to obtain AP. First way, is to do certain types of quests, which Mu Cheng could already imagine the higher-ups deciding to make it near impossible to accumulate AP. The other way is just to spend real money and buy AP.

...

Since Mu Cheng was tasked with the character customizer tool, he was given additional clearance to the server. Mu Cheng also took the chance to create a golden finger(Cheating tool).

Using the additional clearance, Mu Cheng had thoroughly studied the game's security and anti-cheating system.

There was no way to cheat, there were no loopholes at all...

"Hehehe, if there ain't any loopholes, I'll just create one!" Mu Cheng said confidently.

Since Mu Cheng was making the character customizer tool and the AP currency. He naturally could make a loophole from there to cheat.

...

Several days later

"Whew. Finally finished my Goldfinger." Mu Cheng said in exhaustion.

Because the additional clearance was only temporary while he made the character customizer. Mu Cheng had to make the cheating tool during this period, and once finished, he won't have the chance to make any changes.

"Then, let's just stuff it full with everything I can possibly think of!" Was Mu Cheng's thought.

"Let's call you the Re-Allocator tool!" Mu Cheng said happily as he stared the finished cheating tool he had spent so many days making.

The Re-Allocator tool was made in a way that would not trigger any of the game's anti-cheating alarms. Because of that, there was no way to simply add numbers to a stat. Instead, he had to move numbers from one stat to another. In other words, he could re-allocate experience points from skills or stats to a specific skill or stat. And these numbers could also be converted into AP, and the AP could be converted back into stats or experience points at any point in time.

Although it wasn't as godly at cheating, it was still very useful. Since the game didn't limit the players in the number of professions they could choose. Mu Cheng could invest all his available AP into blacksmithing if he were to smith. Then invest all his blacksmithing experience points into enchanter and enchant. Just like a jack of all trades, but instead, Mu Cheng would be a master of all trades!

Mu Cheng could allocate all his points into archery and snipe the enemy from far away, and when the enemy finally made it to him, he would then allocate all his points into swordsmanship and engage the enemy in close combat.

Imagine the agony of the enemy finally managed to rush to the archer with his hp hitting rock bottom, and just about to chop down the damnable archer. Only of the archer to suddenly switch to an insanely strong swordsman!

"Hehehe! I'll be top-ranked in The Cataclysmic Era! As! The! Strongest! One! Man! Army!" Mu Cheng was already dreaming about the future.

Need a Mage? No problem, allocate all points to Mage! Need a Priest? Also no problem, allocate all points to Priest!

Because the Re-Allocator tool was stuffed with functions, it was bound to have a few bugs. As a seasoned programmer, Mu Cheng started debugging and testing all the functions of his Goldfinger.

Three days later

"Ugh, I did not expect so many bugs. Finally fixed everything now." Mu Cheng huffed, his eyes had dark circles just like panda eyes.

"Now the last debugging. I've got to hurry, the deadline is just in 4 hours. Once I hand in the character customizer tool. I won't have access to the server anymore..." Mu Cheng complained.

There were no other choice, Mu Chengs assignment's deadline was in 4 hours. He even cut down on his sleep just to finish his cheating tool.

As usual in his debugging sessions, Mu Cheng was immersed in the VR with his character.

"Let's get some AP first. Energy Conversion!" Mu Cheng mumbled and put his hand on the stone column next to him. A moment later, the stone column turned into a pile of dust.

In order for Mu Cheng to easily accumulate AP, he made the Energy Conversion function, which could absorb any energy or material. Because e=mc^2, material was also energy. And thank the heavens for making the game just as realistic. Oh no, it's obviously the game company that deserves the thanks.

"Huh?! How can a stone column give over 2,000 AP?!" Mu Cheng briefly checked the transparent window in front of his eyes and was shocked.

Normally a stone column of this size would only give Mu Cheng about 10 AP.

"T-This is! Oh no! It's indestructible! I forgot I'm in Main City!" Mu Cheng inspected the next stone column a few steps away and was horrified.

An indestructible building could never be destroyed, at least not by normal means. And definitively not by a player.

"Crap! I, I... I never designed for the Re-Allocator tool to be capable of creating things!. No, wait! I can customize one!" Mu Cheng panicked for a bit before slapping his forehead before he hurriedly picked up some of the dust from the stone column earlier. Just as players were able to change race at a cost of AP, the Re-Allocator tool was based on the character customizer tool, and Mu Cheng could change material type as long as he had unlocked that material and had enough AP to pay.

"What? This doesn't count as an entity?" Mu Cheng said gloomily before flinging away the dust.

"Let's see... Inventory! Whatever this will do." Mu Cheng hurriedly withdrew a stone pebble from his inventory and started customizing.

*Rumble* Suddenly, an earthquake shook the ground.

"W-What's going on?" Mu Cheng was shocked by the earthquake, as one of the game programmers of this very game, he understood that an earthquake was not supposed to happen in Main City.

*Crack Crack* Space cracked apart like a frail mirror, the darkness behind the cracks started swallowing up everything like crazy like a flood.

"Holy Sh*t! This is a corruption in the server code! It's over!!" Mu Cheng fell to his knees. it only took him a moment to know that the destruction of an indestructible entity caused corruption in the code. He knew there was no way to hide the big mess he made anymore.

Just as Mu Cheng was regretting his actions. The dark flood swallowed up him and the whole Main City.

5